S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old October 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #1
dieseldy

Default Just picked up blading again and just wondering....

I'm new to the forums so hello to everyone

I'd just like to know if there are any types of specific wheels that best suit one to slalom.
At the moment i have 78A/78mm fitness wheels on my rollerblades and I'd like to know if these are ok to learn slalom in.
I assume they have too much grip so a lot of moves will be limited.

I look forward to everyone's input.

Thanks.
dieseldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #2
Vic

Try wheels with harshness at least 80A. I am skating on Salomon wheels 83A,
they much better. But ther best wheels what I ever tryed was Powerslide (IMHO), but in Russia it was difficult to find them and olso they expensive.

Last edited by Vic; October 11th, 2006 at 05:36 PM.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #3
Jointlock

Default wheels

I slalom about 3 hours a night, 6 days a week. I have tried so many wheels.
First if you want to slalom forget the fitness skates. You need slalom skates.
Bayside blades still has stock on Deemax/Crossmax for now, especially smaller sizes. Parts in future in doubt though. I skate RB Twister 2's, a sound choice. K's are too soft. Seba skates nice, but VERY expensive. You must also dump your heel brake, period.

Wheels of 76mm are good. 82-86a a good compromise between grip, spin etc. Too hard not so great. They can be slow, uncomfortable, poor feedback, and transitioning over different surfaces (like a painted line) can give a loss and then re-grip of feel. When you are on an outside edge its very unsettling.

My favorite wheel is the Hyper 250+ at 76mm/84a. If you skate hard like me wheel rotation after every skate. I go through a set of wheels a month, even with rotation.

If you live in NYC and want to met up for some intro info/practice let me know....I'll bring the cones.

Chris
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Cowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jointlock View Post
My favorite wheel is the Hyper 250+ at 76mm/84a. If you skate hard like me wheel rotation after every skate. I go through a set of wheels a month, even with rotation.
You skate really hard! Even with skating that much, those wheels should last longer than just a month!

Anyway; this summer I startet using the Hyper concretes (+ grip), 84A. I don't see myself changing to a different wheel anytime soon; I just love these wheels! They are fast, don't wear too quick and I get plenty of grip on them when I need it.
Cowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #5
Vinz

A wheels set is about a month for me too. But I don't skate until the end.
I never do wheel rotation. With Slalom tricks, they get used on both sides

I use to skate Hyper Tech Grip, and Hyper Concrete. Some troubles happened with Hyper Tech Grip, therefore they did improve the wheels, and I should receive the new stock tomorrow

76mm - 80mm - 80mm - 76mm // 83A
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #6
Jointlock

Default wheels

Cowry,
Yeah, I skate really long hard sessions. Had a long weekend (Columbus Day) and great weather here in NYC. Fri-4 hrs, Sat- 3.25hrs (felt guilty after for lack of practice) and Sun- 4.5 hrs. I guess I am addicted. Was trying to master Maybrouk.

I blame it on Naomi & Jeremy L. - they pushed me over the edge to fanatic.

I would love to try the + grips, but couldn't find a source. All the inline web suppliers in the US have terrible stock in 76mm; only lots of big wheels for the speed skaters. I don't get it. We have a few slalomers and tons of path/fitness skaters where I chew it up. Only saw 1 speed skater a few times in last 2 yrs - don't know why 88-100mm wheel supply is so good, and 72-80mm is so bad. Do you have a good source with stock on them?
Old October 12th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #7
dougp

I have heard good things about the Hyper Concrete, but as far as I can tell, they aren't available in North America.

Maybe a skater sponsored by Hyper should suggest they distribute them in the US

Doug
dougp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #8
Cowry

I do have a shop who sells them now. I asked them if they could order the wheels in for me because I needed new wheels and wanted to try these (they do sell other hyperwheels, so I figured I could give it a try). He had never heard of the wheels, so he had to look them up in the catalogue.
So he ordered me these wheels + a few extra. I told him that those wheels would be gone in no time. I was right. After I was riding on them, my friends started to ask about them. So I told them that they had ordered some more and if that would sell they would order more. Within a week they had to order new wheels and I know they've had a few more orders since. Wintertime is coming though, so I'm not sure if they have them on stock now, but I have some spare ones here at home, so I'm fine for a while.
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #9
Skate50

Default wheels rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowry View Post
You skate really hard! Even with skating that much, those wheels should last longer than just a month!

Anyway; this summer I startet using the Hyper concretes (+ grip), 84A. I don't see myself changing to a different wheel anytime soon; I just love these wheels! They are fast, don't wear too quick and I get plenty of grip on them when I need it.
I agree - 84A is best. I rotate my whees every-other skate. (1 hour each day) I use up a set of 8 in about 20 skate sessions on Twister IIs.
Skate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Cowry

I don't need to rotate my wheels... slalom is enough to wear them even. Though I did had to rotate them this summer after the first day in Barcelona! Skating on those steep hills with a backpack packed for a long weekend is not a good idea when your not used to the hills. And I'm Dutch, so I'm not used to such steep and long hills. But after that first day I didn't need to rotate them again, I just changed the way I stopped going downhill
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #11
tguido56

Strangely enough I recognize some equivalence of needs, regarding wheels attributes, between cone / slalom skating and artistic inline skating. Believe me or not!
Although cross-pollination is always difficult in a world of such different skating styles (and mood of life, as far as it matters) I surprise myself in having reached very similar conclusions / suggestions as yours.
This is what I already posted in the artistic forum before this thread began:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tguido56 View Post
About models and brands
Hyper and Labeda are very good. Labeda Gripper and Labeda Shooters hockey wheels (marked medium or all-purpose, equivalento to 83A) were used by the italian athletes in the World Championship [artistic inline freestyle] few years ago. Labeda changed its product line since then, but the brand in general is still good.
Hyper has a line of wheels marked +Grip. A truly non-slipping urethane with optimumm speed and long life. The Hyper Freedom Concrete+Grip comes in several diameters, hardness 84A, round profile, maybe available only on the European market. It is one of the wheels suggested by the G.R.I.P. artistic inline skating school in Paris - France. The Hyper Hyperformance+Grip is only 76mm and 80mm 83A, slightly elliptic and larger hub. The Hyper Pro 250 hockey wheel comes in 72mm and 76mm, 82A and 84A, round profile, a bit slower than the +Grips.

At the moment I use Hypers, an out-of-stock model: Power Edge hockey 84A. Very similar to the Freedom Concrete and Pro 250: same brand, same hub, same profile, same hardness. I use 72mm in front and 2 x 76mm for center and back wheels [my skates have three wheels].
tguido56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #12
KeLLy

I'd like to use my fitness skates to try n see if slalom is my cup of tea.
As Cowry suggested, i want to put a rocker in my wheels. (i'll get some decent slalom skates comming summer - or perhaps sooner - bit short on cash atm)

Since i'm completly noob at this... could i keep my 80 m 82A wheels for the 2 inside ones (brand Skila), and use 72/74 m - 82 A on the outside ones?
I suppose i want the same hardness on all the wheels?

When you're talking about brands.. is that coz they only have a short range of types of wheels or coz there's a noticable difference in quality? (right now, i just wanna take the ones that i can get the fastest , so i can get started)

dieseldy, have you decided anything yet? If so... what build did you get?
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Cowry

Wow... a rocker of 6 to 8 mm is big! Certainly to start with; 2 to 4 mm is plenty to get used to a rocker and if this is your cup of tea, you'll gratuadly get a bigger rocker through freestyling anyway.
I don't know your wheelbrand, but about the hardness: it's fine to start with, but don't hang too much into the hardness of wheels; some wheels have the same hardness, but when you skate on them you'll find out that one wears faster than the other. Hardness of the wheels is just a guideline of what you can expect from a wheel (IMHO), and with good wheels (like hyperwheels), it should be what you get. I have skated with different brands of wheels at the same time and also with different hardness of the wheels. It turned out that at one point I had to change just a few wheels, beause they where getting too small. I have a lot of old and used wheels, so this was no problem for me; I just fitted 'new' (old) wheels in there

About the brands of wheels: there are a lot of wheels out there, but not all wheels are equally good for slalom. The brands (and types) mentioned earlier are good wheels for slalom, but again: you can get started on just about any wheel. In the end it comes down to personal preference and the only way to find out yours, is to try and see what you like the most.
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #14
KeLLy

Thx for the advise.

I found a shop in Sluis (nl) that sells Hyperwheels, and they only had 72 or 76.
I asked the guy in the shop bout 74, wich they don't have.. he said "they don't make these wheels anymore, not popular enough, it's mainly fitness skating now" , but then again, he looked at me like he has never heard of slalom skating ^^ or a rocker. I picked 72 .... my bad (didn't read your post before we left), only cost me 10 euro's tho . They might come in use later anyway.

Shoulda just bought both ...going back asap and picking up the 76.
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote