S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1
MachV

Default Older athletes

I found at Inline Planet:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNIE12DQV3.DTL

There's equipment for everybody, but not all equipment is for every BODY.
MachV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed

good read =) esp, for those of us in the over 29 clique.

thx!!
Old August 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I couldn't agree more with the "rest part"---Running an engine wide open all the time, wears it out quicker. Take it easy.
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #4
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
I couldn't agree more with the "rest part"---Running an engine wide open all the time, wears it out quicker. Take it easy.
What i;ve found to be a bit more applicable, is that it;s possible to train hard most of the time, but when adding age into the equation, it helps to strategize your workout program a bit more carefully. In particular, back to back high impact workouts tend to be more of an issue to me as i have gotten older.

For example, high impact is lifting weights, plyometrics, and often times intervals. Low impact is spinning or skating for a moderate to long duration. I have found running to be somewhere in the middle, depending on what you do.

I would take care with doing high impact workouts day after day, and i have seen some retired elite athletes with serious mobility problems in their joints who disregarded this.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #5
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Leroy,
Thanks for the article. I feel the "Boomers" discovered running and general exercise for the masses. Our parents were restrained by the Depression and hard work. Things have evolved for the Boomer generation as aging steps in to slow us down and it does. Still when I go to my favorite trail I see many of my ilk bicycling, running and skating, something you would have never seen in my parents generation. I will say they could re-roof a house or do mechanical repair far better than I can.
As a non-competitive athlete who wants to maintain conditioning I find doing weights, 15 reps by 2 sets on the circuit twice a week to help. That leaves 5 other days to skate, run or bike depending on time of year and location. I do it now for fun and have placed competition on the back burner. I still do sprints and LSD's but mostly endurance and fun. The big challenge is motivation. Wet days, cold days, sore days and just plain old malaise days are too easy to skip a work out for. I have found teaming with people in any sport I like is very helpful. I envy the towns where the speed skaters have a group and support each other. Hockey is about it for us, which I like , but is not for me. Diet is more acute for the older skater than ever. It tends to want to stay and does not come off as easily. Again it is a matter of attending to training and discipline in different ways. So much for my mess, keep skating, my best advice!
Phil
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

At 43 I'm the oldest skater at my skateparks here in OKC. The rest of the skaters look at me crazy like, "Why is someone's dad out here skating."
Then I but a 360 out of the 10' deep bowl section and they're like, "Whoa! That old dude can skate."
And when they get tired, and go sit down, I'm still rocking the bowls.

I've had numerous compliments on my endurance and stamina.

The motivation hasn't been a problem for me. And that has to do with the sheer fun factor involved with my form of exercise. I'm an adreniline junky, and skating on the side of a 12' deep pool feeds that addiction nicely. I normally have so much fun, I don't even realize I'm exercising until I collapse from exhaustion. When I wake up the next day, I run to the window to see if it rained......Strictly because rain messes up the bowl rides.

I cross train with weights 3 or 4 times a week. The only reason I am motivated to do this is due to the fact that after I roll the bowls at lunch, I'm so sweaty (drenched thru and thru) that I HAVE to have a shower before heading back to work.... The YMCA is a mile from the skatepark, and as long as I'm there showering, I might as well lift a few reps..... Were it not for the fact that I was there anyway for the shower, I wouldn't drive across town to weight train.

Every aspect of my physical fitness revolves around my skatepark compulsion. The stronger I am, the better I skate, and the better I get at skating, the more I want to crosstrain. They feed each other, and in turn make me strong. I have never in my life been in this kind of shape. Not in Jr. High, or High school, or college....never. I look better than I did then too. I actually have a six pack for the first time (instead of that keg I used to haul around).

Skating been verry verry good to me.....
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Barracuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot2big View Post
I normally have so much fun, I don't even realize I'm exercising
And there is the key for me. I don't exercise. My fitness is merely a byproduct of my activities.
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #8
Mom Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
And there is the key for me. I don't exercise. My fitness is merely a byproduct of my activities.

That's me. I probably would not do it if it were not fun. Every time I have fun, the minute I start I think "wow, this is great...I wish I had started earlier or had more time"...like today when old age forced me to go to the doc and I ran out of time before work.

The only real benefit I can see to getting old is that at some point I get to quit working so I can have more fun!
Mom Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:14 AM   #9
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Default Awesome article, thanks for sharing

I would like to express my views on this subject. I am not trying to stroke my ego, but make a testimonial statement on the subject.

I was always active and into sports. At sixteen I started to do sport specific exercises, to increase my abilities. Mainly running and push-ups/pull-ups. By nineteen I was into lifting weights and bodybuilding/powerlifting. I never got over 185lbs, I didn't have the nutritional knowledge. At about twenty-five I switched over to a vigorous calisthenics routine.

I would continue that routine until I was thirty. At that time I had incorporated aerobics into my exercises. I became an instructor which I did for seven years. I was also training for triathalons and cycle racing. I worked security at night clubs so I could train all day.

At thirty-four my daughter was born and my workouts slowed to a maintenance level. At that time I was in the top 5% for over all fitness according to the University of Victoria Fitness Department.

By my early forties I was back lifting weights and riding bike. At this time I invested in my first pair of inline skates. Little did I know that this sport would come to dominate my life.

Through out my forties and into my fifties I would introduce a variety of exercises. The use of Buso balls, balance boards, plyometrics and of course speed skating.

Now I live a life where I can do anything I choose. I have no physical limitations. There is nothing I can not prepare for in a short period of time. As my skating developed I has able to make the transitions from novice to highly skilled. I made the switch to the double push within one week. It will take the winter to master it.

My point being is that after a life time of exercising. My body is in such a condition that I am free to pursue any activity I choose. Which is skating. I can not remember the last time I had a sport or any other injury. I very seldom ever get sick. I am able to enjoy life at a level that can only be experienced in excellent health.

I believe that this article has barely begone to scratch the surface. The benifits that I experience are far beyond what they are stating. So if you are young get with it. It's kind of like compound interest. You don't experience the results until much later. I am testament that the interest compounded is heaven on earth, so to speak.
streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:40 AM   #10
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Never run, unless somebody is chasin ya, and never lift more than you can eat. ---43 may seem old, but just wait till ya hit 61. changes your whole outlook on things in general. You find that you have more than enough strength already, to pull things out of joint. Stretching becomes more important than just more strength training..
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:55 AM   #11
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Default Sorry no sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
Never run, unless somebody is chasin ya, and never lift more than you can eat. ---43 may seem old, but just wait till ya hit 61. changes your whole outlook on things in general. You find that you have more than enough strength already, to pull things out of joint. Stretching becomes more important than just more strength training..

I'm not buying into that load of horse dung for a single second. Train smart and never stop, if you're not going forward-you're going backwards.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM   #12
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamline View Post
I'm not buying into that load of horse dung for a single second. Train smart and never stop, if you're not going forward-you're going backwards.
+1

I don;'t know how many of you noticed it, but if you didn't, notice it!
Luis Mejia placed fifth (5), numero cinco in men's open elite category this past week at Duluth's NSIM. Luis is 47 years old. LOL. He is twice the god-damned age of some of the skaters that came in a few inches ahead of him, and some of the great skaters that came in yards behind him.
And i can tell you that some of those skaters who finished along side of him did not mention anything about his age. I know becuase i roomed with them. ANd what they said: 'Carlos' - (that's what they call him), 'Carlos is a monster!'
If you have find yourself about to explain something becuase of your age, well, shut up and skate.
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:41 AM   #13
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
If you have to find yourself about to explain something because of your age, well, shut up and skate.
+1 -- age means nothing. It all comes from the heart!!
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:14 AM   #14
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I strutted around the great wolf lodge and had young lasses and old cougars checkin me out. Hehehe... I love going without a shirt these days.

I'll take my 43 year old IN SHAPE self over any previous age that I already lived.

I wore my 12 year old boy SMOOTH OUT!
4 skateparks, and a water park (x3) in 2 days. Details in the fitness log.
Old September 21st, 2008, 03:11 PM   #15
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
What i;ve found to be a bit more applicable, is that it;s possible to train hard most of the time, but when adding age into the equation, it helps to strategize your workout program a bit more carefully. In particular, back to back high impact workouts tend to be more of an issue to me as i have gotten older.

For example, high impact is lifting weights, plyometrics, and often times intervals. Low impact is spinning or skating for a moderate to long duration. I have found running to be somewhere in the middle, depending on what you do.

I would take care with doing high impact workouts day after day, and i have seen some retired elite athletes with serious mobility problems in their joints who disregarded this.
i found my problem was a ripped meniscus in my knees. but i dont think i will ever get in shape like i was in my 20s. could crank out 10 miles a day training with the guys in college like it was nothing. no way i could do that now.

no way i can slam like i was as a kid either. like it or not, rubber bones turn hard and break by the time ur in ur 20s. things rip easier. i heal faster then anyone my age but a 9 year old in a cast is 3-4 weeks, not months. bones dont grow the same as you get older, nothing you can do about it. will suck when i'm 50-60,

endurance seems to hold wh/ is good.....

my energy level hasnt ever lessened, not really good lol.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM   #16
online inline

i guess a lot depends on what it is you do, and the more contact and high impact the sport, perhaps the tougher it is to maintain the same performance level as the youngsters.
But we have seen a 42 year old US swimmer win gold in the Olympics just a few weeks ago. And some of the marathoners were up there in years as well.
Admittedly, these sports are not as high impact as roller derby.

But with age, we can train smarter, we can be more focused, and perhaps we can be more level-headed about the whole thing. Not always, of course. But in general, i;'ve seen this is often the case. And for some reason, it seems many older skaters are more disciplined about training than the younger counterparts. Again, i am talking generalitites here, and there are certainly exceptions, but this tends to be common from what i've seen.
Old September 21st, 2008, 10:27 PM   #17
streamline
Fifty, and loving it!

Default Unexplored Territory

We are the generation that will set the standard. We will be the first to experiment with ourselves. As we set out to enjoy a physical lifestyle of sports and activities. We are healthier, stronger and faster than any generation before us.

There are more individuals in our age group enjoying an extremely physical life. Than at any time in our history. It was never been done before so know one knows how far it can be taken. There is a wealth of information at our disposal. With a proper eating plan, a solid training schedule and a progressive set of goals to map your way.

We're never going to know for sure, until we fail.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:19 AM   #18
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Old athletes and high impact:
One name to remember - Randy Couture. 44 y/o (or mebbe 45 now)
The impacts do not come any harder.

If you're not familiar with the monster then google him. He's my inspiration!
Old September 26th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #19
motosk8ter
Senior Grand PooPah

Exercise is the elixir of life and never talk yourself out of it. When I was 51 I had a routine of lifting weights and training for triathlons. Ten years later I have slowed down and tend to not favor impact sports. I favor skating and cycling. Running is still on the agenda but not with the fervor I used to have. Energy for the workout is not as powerful. It is a natural process that cannot be denied and will eventually affect everyone. It does not mean you stop or ease up, it just means you adjust. Had some great distance skates this summer but I knew I would not pass Hedrick along the way. It is a reality we all will face someday. Just remember I will kick you out of the way with my walker
Phil
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #20
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamline View Post
And you are how old, if ya don't mind me askin?? Forty only seems old when you are younger. the strain we put on our joints when young, will come home to roost when we get to our 60s. ---But they couldn't tell us eaither--we were bullet proof, and couldn't get enough "trainin"