S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old November 6th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #1
Rab23

Default Inline to Quads?

Umm.......how do I put this.....well I started skating on inlines but im now trying to make the switch to quads. I know im still a beginner, however I can get some speed on inlines and maintain it, Im now trying to switch to quads and finding it a little bit more difficult then I first thought. I can move on inline with ease, and gain speed pretty quickly, Does it take more to move in quads than inlines. And as I was trying to pick up speed my lower body was burning unlike when i skate on my inlines. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:36 AM   #2
artisan555

you might try loosening your trucks. most new skaters on quads are skating on really stiff trucks and they tend to be fighting to push on the skates, either to turn or to push off.
artisan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Bexskater

I dont know personally as i've never skated on inlines but from stuff I've heard and what i've been told by the people i teach, the main thing you got to do is not depend on your ankles. Just like iceskaters ankles get you all the edges. Not so easy on quads. Just keep your knees bent most of the time and try to use all of your feet in order to get power. Your outside back wheel should always be the first to leave the floor and if you want most power your inside front wheel should be the last wheel to leave the floor and you have to get as much power as poss from that... Not very helpful im afraid but thats the protocol for getting most power
Bexskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #4
eduardoritos

Hi:
I'm spanish, and my english is self taugt, so sorry if I can't make more understable my text.

I was speedskater 20 year ago, so in quads. Last year I've start skating inline, and this is what I've found:
- For speed and fitness skating they are many similar moves: body, arms and knees position are the same.
- The more important disimilarities are the ankles. In inlines ankles have to bend "out or in" for turns, cross-overs, ...
- Pushing leg have to push more to the back in quads, making a bigger angle with the staying leg than on inlines.
- In leg set-down (quads), put at first the back whells and slide a bit, after this put the front whells, whitout stop sliding, pushing back whit the other leg.

It's not easy to explain in spanish, so in english it's very difficult to me. Sorry. I hope this helps you.

Agur.
eduardoritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #5
maherwoman
Chatterbox Queen

Hello!

I've never tried inlines, myself, except to fall on my butt...hehe! So, I'm not certain about the differences, except for what my husband and I have talked about (as he is an inline skater). One notable difference he mentioned is the fact that in inlines, like another person mentioned, you use your ankles and tilt your skates to turn...whereas with quads, you lean your entire body (helps to loosen the trucks a quarter turn per four weeks...do this gradually).

Also, as far as learning to quad skate, here are some things that helped me a lot in teaching my daughter:

- Resist the urge to "walk" in the skates. To move along, put your legs in a V, heels closer together, with toes apart. Try to keep your feet as close together as you can without touching them, and just march with your feet in a V. You should hear your skates clunking as you march.

- If you feel you are going to take a crash, bend your knees (be careful NOT to bend your back...keep it straight up and down), and put your arms out diagonally a bit. This will help you to regain balance. (Might help to practice on something like carpet first so you get the idea before going in the rink, or wherever you're going to be skating.)

- Use your arms a bit when you skate. This will not only help you balance, but will help you move.

- And last, but certainly not least, be sure to bend your knees when you skate. You don't have to bend them a terrible lot, just be sure to bend them. This helps with balance.

And, like my coach says, "if it feels good, you're not doing it right". Meaning, if you don't have muscles getting tired, and achy the next day, you weren't doing it right.

Hope all that helps! Those are also things my coach taught both me and my daughter. I take classes with him once a week, as does she.

Let us know how things work out!! It's great to be able to skate both. I've been told they compliment each other, as far as the muscles you use, and the technique, but every time I've tried inline, I've literally spent most of my time on my rear end. Hehe! One day, I'll try again, and ask for advice on here...and you'll probably be able to share a lot of what you're learning through this!

[FONT="Verdana"][B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]"All my possessions for a moment of time." --Queen Elizabeth I, last words[/COLOR][/B][/FONT]
maherwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #6
Rab23

Thank you all..........last night after I went my local rollar rink for adult skate night I found one of the wheels had some excess that wasn't removed so the bearings weren't fitting snug to the acutal wheel.So when i find out how to fix that I may be able to skate a little better. Oh yeah what's a Truck?
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #7
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab23 View Post
... Oh yeah what's a Truck?
This will tell you.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #8
Rab23

Gotcha..................I was thinking thats what it was.......now to find some cheap tools