S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old April 7th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #1
Zafira

Default Outdoor Art setup

I am getting an itch to skate outside this spring after being an indoor rink skater since I was 8.
I've got a pair of Riedell 297s on a Suregrip Classic plate that I can turn into outside skates. I'm only interested in skating locally at a skate park on the flat part, not really thinking about trails or anything else at this time. Just want to get in some more practice outside of the rink with mohawks and such.
I went by the skate park today, it's only 10 minutes from my house, free and nobody was there!
It's cement with some cracks similar to a sidewalk and very small rocks.

Would the Radar Zen or Radar Energy wheels be a good choice at this point?
I don't know how much I would get to use them and don't want to invest a lot until I figure out if I'd be doing more outdoor skating.
The weather here can be beautiful, then really hot and humid in another couple of weeks. Or not.

I'm currently using Edea Ritmos on a Mistral plate indoors and rather quickly got used to the higher heel and shorter plate. My Riedells have a slightly lower heel and longer plate, so the wheels are not under the toe, but just forward of the ball of my foot. I skated 3 times in the Edeas and went back to my Riedells for one evening and felt like they were about to land me on my back, so I guess I've already got used to keeping more weight on the heels which I understand is good for outdoor use.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here about wheels and plates for outdoors, but only want to make a small investment to start off.
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Fancy-Kerrigan

I do some art skating outdoors and find that there are a couple things about wheels that you should keep in mind.
Art wheels are traditionally narrow. I would try to find something close in width and height to what you are currently using indoors for this activity. In the past a wider taller wheel has caused me some trouble with wheel lock while art skating outdoors.
Secondly you should find something that is softer. I have skated my 90 duro Aussie Scotts outside on very smooth surfaces, however they do not react as well with road debris as a softer wheel. 78 is a good duro for outside.
For art skating outdoors I like the Kryptonic Route 62 wheels. But anything that will fit the bill, I'm sure will work.
Congrats on Art skating outdoors......I thought I was the only crazy one to do that
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #3
Armadillo

Consider the Roll Line Helium wheels - narrow and 83A with good precise roll.
The big 49mm hub also helps outdoors, but sharp stones and concrete edges can cut the thin urethane layer

-Armadillo
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Zafira

Thanks for the suggestions Fancy, I didn't want to get too far from what I skate indoors for art so I don't feel a huge difference switching back and forth. When I did some derby I bought the narrower derby wheels because of wheel lock with the wide ones.
Do your outdoor boots have the same heel height as your indoor boots? That is the only other consideration I've been thinking about because after skating the Edea, the Riedell seems so much lower.

Armadillo, I originally was looking at Roll Line Heliums but changed my mind after reading one of your previous posts about the thin urethane layer getting cut up.
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #5
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafira View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Fancy, I didn't want to get too far from what I skate indoors for art so I don't feel a huge difference switching back and forth. When I did some derby I bought the narrower derby wheels because of wheel lock with the wide ones.
Do your outdoor boots have the same heel height as your indoor boots? That is the only other consideration I've been thinking about because after skating the Edea, the Riedell seems so much lower.

Armadillo, I originally was looking at Roll Line Heliums but changed my mind after reading one of your previous posts about the thin urethane layer getting cut up.
I was assuming that an art skater would not be choosing to roll in the outdoor areas with a lot of exposure to stones and sharp edges.
However, if you are wanting your setup to handle all levels of outdoor potential wheel damage exposure, then you are correct to perhaps avoid the Helium wheels.

-Armadillo
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #6
Fancy-Kerrigan

size matters
The size of your heel that is.....lol. I crack myself up sometimes. Anyway, for some they learn to adjust to different heel heights. For me I like the same set up, indoors and out. I don't like to explain road rash to my co-workers so I like to keep the falls to a minimum. To do that I have decided to just keep it simple. The white skates in my avatar are my current outdoor build. Bont, new school Proline, & Scotts. The Scotts are now on my new build: low cut Bont, OG Proline, Boen flips. I'm currently skating Radar Pures outside. While they do make skating straight fun, they are a bit challenging to art skate with. Kind of like making hair pin turns with a monster truck doing 50 mph.
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #7
ursle
Street Skater

Honestly, the helium is by far the best outdoor wheel going, dending on what your doing... and art makes it the perfect candidate, btw, no reason not to use your indoor art setup outside, just change wheels.

The helium gets a bad rap because "someone" once cut one, we'll all wheels cut, I get a full summer out of a set, nonsense to ignore them.

Clean your skating area well and if in doubt use wrist guards, enjoy
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #8
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Honestly, the helium is by far the best outdoor wheel going, dending on what your doing... and art makes it the perfect candidate, btw, no reason not to use your indoor art setup outside, just change wheels.

The helium gets a bad rap because "someone" once cut one, we'll all wheels cut, I get a full summer out of a set, nonsense to ignore them.

Clean your skating area well and if in doubt use wrist guards, enjoy
ursle,
We rarely agree, but this time you are spot on with the suggestion that the Helium is a perfect match for outdoor art skating on, hopefully, smoother surfaces.

I love the lightweight & high roll of Heliums for outdoor use whenever I know my path will be on mostly all smooth outdoor surfaces. Unfortunately, with budgets getting deeper and deeper cuts, maintaining smooth trails is becoming a steadily and rapidly dropping priority it would seem.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; April 12th, 2015 at 09:04 PM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #9
Zafira

Fancy, you crack me up. ;-) I may try it in the Riedell and if it's too much put the outdoor wheels on the indoor skates or pick up another pair of boots eventually.

Armadillo, the skate park has some flat areas away from the bowls and that's where I thought I'd roll, at least at first. But I sometimes think I'm going to do one thing, then like it so much go from there. Of course I WON'T be trying any bowls, but maybe some trails around here if I can find them.
Even the skate park had some small rocks on the cement. Or maybe rock chips? Anyway more rocks than I would be used to. I appreciate the input on the Heliums. I do love Roll Line products.

Ursle, ha ha ha, I'm wearing wrist guards now indoors if there are kids around. They all seemed aimed at my knees. Outdoors I'll have on my wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet!!! I'm already banged up enough from falling indoors. I just got my new indoor setup and didn't want to mess it up just yet outdoors. I already fell and scratched up the toe real bad one week into wearing my new Edeas. Now they have covers on them.
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #10
Fancy-Kerrigan

I found that outdoor hockey rinks are ideal and even at times have lights at night. Look on line to see if there are any in your area. As far as the stones and such. I usually do a complete inspection of the surface I plan to skate as I warm up. I remove the stuff I think may cause a problem. After that I am alert as I skate as to what is in my path. Art skating is fun outside, I especially like watching my shadowed form as I skate. My shadow shows me what my form looks like, that helps me to correct what looks wonky. (is that a word?)
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #11
Bunny_Hop

Good on you for art skating outdoors! On a smooth surface that you "know", you can do similar things to indoors - no three turns unfortunately and I imagine spins would be difficult or even dangerous. I skate on various netball and basketball courts, (minor) roads and carparks when I want to practice art outside.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #12
Fancy-Kerrigan

I can do everything outside that I can do inside. It is actually where I try new things out for the first time. It feels safer for me to practice outside. I especially like not having everyone looking at me when I fall. Another bonus is that once you have some good speed on a spin outside you take that same effort inside with less resistance and your spins are now epic.
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #13
Derrick

Quote:
I am getting an itch to skate outside this spring after being an indoor rink skater since I was 8.
I've got a pair of Riedell 297s on a Suregrip Classic plate that I can turn into outside skates. I'm only interested in skating locally at a skate park on the flat part, not really thinking about trails or anything else at this time. Just want to get in some more practice outside of the rink with mohawks and such.
I went by the skate park today, it's only 10 minutes from my house, free and nobody was there!
It's cement with some cracks similar to a sidewalk and very small rocks.

Would the Radar Zen or Radar Energy wheels be a good choice at this point?
I don't know how much I would get to use them and don't want to invest a lot until I figure out if I'd be doing more outdoor skating.
The weather here can be beautiful, then really hot and humid in another couple of weeks. Or not.

I'm currently using Edea Ritmos on a Mistral plate indoors and rather quickly got used to the higher heel and shorter plate. My Riedells have a slightly lower heel and longer plate, so the wheels are not under the toe, but just forward of the ball of my foot. I skated 3 times in the Edeas and went back to my Riedells for one evening and felt like they were about to land me on my back, so I guess I've already got used to keeping more weight on the heels which I understand is good for outdoor use.

I've been reading a lot of the posts on here about wheels and plates for outdoors, but only want to make a small investment to start off.

I bouht some Zen and they squeak as they deform around the berings. Perhaps I'm too big for them, but I bought them for outside and now realize I need a hubbed wheel. It's getting nice out so I prolly take to the basketball court.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #14
Derrick

Default How to do weird stuff

I finally got outdoor wheels that don't squeak. I went with Atom Pulse wheels. I really like them so far. Well, in my town, skating outside would be considered weird. I haven't skated outside quads on a pad since 1990. Well I was determined to go. I didn't take my solar sound system as it was suposed to rain. I had to go back for my broom. I drove instead of biked there. I find when you want to do something that may be uncomfortable (weird to other people) for the first time. Everything will seem like a good reason not ot go. But you just go and perfect it later. People think I'm a bit crazy (or I perceive they do) for riding my bike to work although my car is working. I know there are parts of the country where none of this is wierd at all, but here it isn't done. Kids use longboards and such, but there are no skater around outside, quad or otherwise.

We have at least five small (less than half court) basketball pads in town. I chose two to try.

The first is secluded, the park where it resides was torn down waiting for reconstruction. The pad was covered with geavel, I think they stored some ther during tear down. So I went out with my broom (skates on) and got half of it cleaned. The rest I need a shovel for, so I will be back. This one is close to my house and private.

Well I didn't have a shovel, so I went to a very small pad in a valley ona back street. But it is an alternate route with a bike trail near by. So, it is not secluded. But it was super clean and super fun.

Note on sticky wheels. I usually do not use sticky wheels, so this is my first test. Ok, the wheels are also wider than my usual. I may be a convert. Side surfing, much, much essier in stickies. Toe-toe and heel-toe spins, easier in stickies. Three turns much harder in stickies. I only attempted one three turn as this was my first outside in 25 years. I did not try jump turns or mohak jumps either.

Well I certainly plan on doing a lot more outside. It was really fun.
Old June 26th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #15
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

The Radar Pure is an excellent outdoor wheel although it could be somewhat tall for what you're looking for but it always be cut down/
Old June 26th, 2015, 04:34 PM   #16
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
The Radar Pure is an excellent outdoor wheel although it could be somewhat tall for what you're looking for but it always be cut down/
I really like the wheel. The reason I chose it isthe radar hubless would deform on me. So I needed a hub. But I couldn't afford a metal hub and I've seen the plastics crack. So I figured hub molded in the urethane would give enough support to not crack. While the hub lends stability to the urathane. That's my theory anyway.

I didn't even think about the height. But now that you mention it. I was taller and I like the bit of extra speed.
Old June 28th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #17
inkh0rn

Default Heliums!

+1 to Armadillo & Ursle's comments. These are very close indeed to the Roll Line indoor wheels in terms of contact patch & width - when I swap from my indoor setup (92A olympics) to outdoor with Heliums (83A, 64mm), the feel is very similiar. Also, as the hubs are just as precisely machined as the indoor wheels (you need a bearing press to get them in and out easily) so they just feel much more solid and precise. I found Krypto 62's to be too soft and sludgy.

I like Airwaves 65mm or Hyper Rollos for rougher surfaces, or cut down longboard wheels for speed/distance. But the Heliums are win win win on smooth concrete or tarmac.
Old July 6th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #18
Derrick

Quote:
Fancy, you crack me up. ;-) I may try it in the Riedell and if it's too much put the outdoor wheels on the indoor skates or pick up another pair of boots eventually.

Armadillo, the skate park has some flat areas away from the bowls and that's where I thought I'd roll, at least at first. But I sometimes think I'm going to do one thing, then like it so much go from there. Of course I WON'T be trying any bowls, but maybe some trails around here if I can find them.
Even the skate park had some small rocks on the cement. Or maybe rock chips? Anyway more rocks than I would be used to. I appreciate the input on the Heliums. I do love Roll Line products.

Ursle, ha ha ha, I'm wearing wrist guards now indoors if there are kids around. They all seemed aimed at my knees. Outdoors I'll have on my wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet!!! I'm already banged up enough from falling indoors. I just got my new indoor setup and didn't want to mess it up just yet outdoors. I already fell and scratched up the toe real bad one week into wearing my new Edeas. Now they have covers on them.
My outdoor equipment includes a broom. Kinda of fun to skate with. Also in my area the skate park is much smoother thatn the basketball pads. Looks like the sanded and top coated it. Three turns are way doable.

An occasional fake up the bowl is kinda fun. But I'm afraid I'll mess up my plates going over the sharp edges.
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #19
Fancy-Kerrigan

Derrick,
I have dabbled in the skate park bowl skating....if only to show my kids that their mom CAN do it
I found that entering and exiting is a great deal easier and more stable if done in the side surfing position. The edges of my skate park are not so severe and did not harm my plates.
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #20
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
Derrick,
I have dabbled in the skate park bowl skating....if only to show my kids that their mom CAN do it
I found that entering and exiting is a great deal easier and more stable if done in the side surfing position. The edges of my skate park are not so severe and did not harm my plates.
Didn't try side surfing up, I'll give it a shot next time.