S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old December 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM   #101
roller_dudette
skate addict!

50-80 grams a day isnt much! i do that and although i had issues on a vegan diet, now on a plant based diet, ovo-vegetarian most the time, i have no problems. eggs are the best absorbed protein, better then meat, as far as amino acids go. so thats why i drink protein shakes and get over 60 grams per day with even 1 protein shake. i am not sure how one can get less then 45 grams unless the calories were low or following a fruitarian/rice diet. eggs also have omega 3s. but the ideal diet showed that 12 ounces of lowfat meat a week was healthiest. i spoke to a nutritionist and a touch of complete protein makes the incomplete complete so increases absorption t that as if it were all complete protein. so the China Study proved that people who had about 2 ounces of meat a day, a condiment size, were the healthiest. i agree, even if its just eggs, etc.

i am curious, osteoporosis can be managed but not reversed. there are no cures yet. even elderly with osteoporosis heal from fractures but slower. were you starving yourself? i have read everything about healing and unless you are starving (malnourished) or the gap is large, bones pretty much heal. if you dont have enough calcium, it takes it from other bones. i am sorry for your troubles. do what is healthiest for you. we are all different. i can attest myself that a total plant based diet was harmful for me too but i can thrive on small amounts of animal products. my bf and i get certified humane stuff since i like animals.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #102
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

comparing costs of sources of protein
tin of sardines 50 cents 24 grams protein. lots of calcium, iron, omega-3.
egg, whole, large 16 cents(at $2 per dozen) 6.3 grams protein

also bought some quinoa, but at $4 a pound, it's not a cheap source of protein. if you assume 15% protein, 1 lb of it has 68 grams of protein.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #103
online inline

Bill, those (sardines and eggs) are both excellent sources of good quality protein. In fact, i make sure i eat them a couple of times per week usually.

You might also try a bean and whole grain (like whole wheat) bread combo- which combined together makes a perfect protein as well as carbs and other nutrients. Peanuts and other nuts are good too.

But just to be on the safe side, i throw in about 8 grams of whey protein into my recovery drink after each workout for insurance purposes, and to make sure i get it during that critical post workout recovery window timeframe.

You know, protein is just one of several things to watch for. We could just as easily be discussing FAT intake, and ensuring we get enough of that as well, which is also critical. In fact, in today;s health conscious culture, it is entirely feasible that many (or at least some) people are not getting enough in their diet.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #104
roller_dudette
skate addict!

omega 3s are good but too many 6s arent. but antioxidants are important for recovery too so im trying to have fruit and protein as recovery. fat post workout isnt so good as it slows down absorption of the protein and sugars into the muscles ive read. but the vega i use has healthy fats so hopefully thats ok.

u guys can eat sardines for me, i cant lol. they are good for u!

so tell me HOW do people lose weight lifting weights? as i turn into a ravenous piggy. i am not sure i would recommend an intense lifting program to someone wanting to shed a lot of pounds.
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #105
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

O/I, I know that you are careful about your weight. I'm not quite there yet. So I think I'm okay on my fat overall, but I know I could make healthier choices about which fats... I do think that some people who go on incredibly low-fat diets do pay a price for it.

Do you eat the whole egg or just the whites? The yolk has lots of interesting nutrients in it that I don't want to pass up, but it also has the cholesterol.

I was surprised at how much protein is in grains. Good to know. Also, it makes the question of rice vs potatoes a no-brainer.

RD, as far as losing weight by lifting weights, I can only guess that people who do that must be watching their calories verrrry carefully. You and I start out with really low body fat anyway, so what we experience may not be typical...
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #106
online inline

RD, some of the weight lifters i knew would eat commercially prepared "meal substitutes" as, well, meal substitutes. And some would eat only one meal per day. I think what they were doing was fairly radical, and not based on conventional nutritional guidelines.

Weight loss and lifting is a complex subject, as muscle mass weighs more than regular tissue and fat, so if a person is burning off fat but building muscle, they still may not lose weight overall. But muscle does burn calories more effectively than does fat. I am no expert on this stuff, but i have looked at it in the context of Body Mass Index, and a very conditioned athlete may actually have a BMI which classifies them as overweight solely because their muscle mass is heavier than an individual without it.

I think, again (as i said this on the weight log thread a long time ago) we are asking the wrong question. The question is not how do i lose wieght by exercising (in this case, lifting), but how do i become more fit/toned by exercise (in this case: lifting). Strength and the resulting prowess and confidence it may bring are not such a bad thing, after all.

Bill, yes most people don't need to worry about getting enough fat in their diet, but rather need to worry about getting too much, or not enough of the good fats (and too much of the bad; i.e: trans-fats, saturated fats). I guess my point is simply that protein is one part of a healthy diet, and not the whole thing. It;s my belief that as athletes, a balanced diet following conventional nutritional guidelines is a good starting point, with maybe just a little tweaking necessary for our increased activity levels.

Good talking with you both!
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #107
roller_dudette
skate addict!

i think exercise in general helps a person become fit. for most that is losing weight. for me that is gaining muscle. as unlike most i LOSE weight if im sendentary. also for some reason when im sendentary, i am not so hungry but turn into a garbage disposal when i exercise a lot.

as far as eggs, i think studies show if you have 1-2 per day as a limit, there is no increase in cholesterol. if we ingest it, we produce less. i keep it to an average of 1 yolk a day. there is also an increase in protein absorption with the full egg, plus i agree, a lot of healthy things in the yolk! after all, thats what baby chicks grow on.

as far as fats go, i wish veganaise were the best source along w/ nuts and seeds lol. its better then mayo i guess......
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #108
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Good talking with you both!
Hey, you too!
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #109
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Default Interesting

Here's an interesting study.
http://fitnessmanagement.com/article...2402&zoneid=32
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM   #110
online inline

interesting article, but i read somewhere that post-workout recovery beverages are most effective for the weekend warriors, and the bodies of very active athletes may be more acclimated to recovering without them. The study that suggested this was really just postulating, and said more research was needed, but from my experience, i do believe it - i tend to skip postworkout recovery drinks occassionally now and again, and it really doesn't make a bit of difference as far as i can tell, anymore. But it's simple enough to do - taking a post workout recovery drink - so, might as well.

Last edited by online inline; January 21st, 2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM   #111
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I always try to get protein/quick carbs right after and it helps me to recover, esp. from strength training. Not so much endurance or sport activities. Carbs only seem OK there. I always do protein shakes. Mine are lactose free so no problems. I cant stomach milk. Or soy crisps and fruit do me good too! I am focused on gaining back muscle so I really try to do the protein thing post strength workout!!