S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old August 18th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #1
siowhonv

Default When to change wheels

Hi everyone, I have been skating with the same pairs of inlines for over 2 years but not very consistently and not agressively. However I was wondering when to change the wheels to swap the insides to the ouside edges. By looking at my wheels, I would say the insides to outide edge ration is about 70:30. Can someone please advise me?

Thanks
siowhonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #2
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by siowhonv View Post
Hi everyone, I have been skating with the same pairs of inlines for over 2 years but not very consistently and not agressively. However I was wondering when to change the wheels to swap the insides to the ouside edges. By looking at my wheels, I would say the insides to outide edge ration is about 70:30. Can someone please advise me?
Thanks
There is no specific time interval, everybody skates a little differently and some people get a lot more mileage out of their wheels than others. My recommendation would be to rotate the wheels as soon as you see a marked difference in the profile. The more frequently you rotate, the longer they will last and the better you'll roll on them. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:15 AM   #3
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

To follow up on this question: when should you change wheels entirely? I have about 800 miles on a set of Hyper +Grips and I'm wondering if I should get a new set for NSIM.
More Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Purely personal preference. I would think most of us would want to change wheels anytime they are 10% less than original size, i.e. 80mm down to 72mm, 84mm down to 76mm, etc. Most I would be inclined to think will change out with only 5% wear. As long as you have been efficient with your rotations and not allowed the profile to overally distort, skate them until you get tired of working that hard, new wheels are always a sweet thing. JB
Old September 4th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #5
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

I tend to have new or reasonably new wheels for major races. For training, I would normally dump the wheels when they're worn down to 95% of original diameter. They may look like they still have plenty of polyurethane on, but I prefer to change when I notice significant degradation in roll and/or grip.
buzzinghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #6
mentally dull

rotation is the key, if you don't then your wheels will become very asymmetrical, which seriously affects your skating.
Otherwise, if you keep rotating them, you can skate on your wheels until they core. An excellent workout, and you get your money's worth from your wheels
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #7
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

BUT as Buzz stated, for a sanctioned event, or any run that really matters (like running with the Big Dogs) NEW or nearly new wheels are the ticket. I try to slap a couple of miles on them just to break the sheen, but otherwise I'd want MAX diameter. JB
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #8
sk8scott

I have to agree with Buzz and Jon B, fresh wheels are key for an "event", whether it be a race or trying to keep pace with new & fast training partners.

Like Jon B, I also prefer to give them a mile or two of wear on smooth pavement before cutting them loose, just to make sure they roll true, and that the bearings and spacers have a chance to line-up.

As for routine wheel changing, I don't have any real method to it. After rotating them a few times, they eventually just don't look so great anymore.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote