S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old May 26th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Knight

Default newbie gonna check this out!

Hey all,

i was just checking out this forum and now i want to build my own skates and check out some skateparks. i used to skateboard but i stopped a while back but i still have 3-4 boards down in the cellar. so i have a couple of questions...

1. bifsk8er -- where did you get the UHMW slider from?

2. i have 2 boards with Indy trucks on them, but they're regular old-school wide ones -- can i use them for my skates or are they too wide??

3. if i don't want to search out a set of old skis can i just use a piece of 1/2" or 1/4" ply for the time being?

4. as far as boots go, do low cut boots leave ankle bones exposed in a bad way so i'd mess up my ankle bones? or also along those lines, could i just mount some leather boot like a doc marten on the plate?

5. i think i have a couple really old sets of OJ's or OJ II wheels, do you think they'll work.

thanks for any info and if you have any tips for me or anything please fire away!

Knight
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #2
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Hey all,

i was just checking out this forum and now i want to build my own skates and check out some skateparks. i used to skateboard but i stopped a while back but i still have 3-4 boards down in the cellar. so i have a couple of questions...

1. bifsk8er -- where did you get the UHMW slider from?
I went to a store called Regal Plastics after googling "plastic company austin tx".

Quote:
2. i have 2 boards with Indy trucks on them, but they're regular old-school wide ones -- can i use them for my skates or are they too wide??
If you skate side stance/sideways, then you might get by. If you skate parallel (forward), then your feet might get tangled up and cause a spill. I used to have 129mm wide trucks. They were too wide. When going forwards, I would sometimes trip on my own wheels. I now use Indy 109mm midtrack trucks (except they sold the patent to ACE, so really I use ACE trucks). I find this size much better for roller skates. I wouldn't go smaller than 99mm wide.

Quote:
3. if i don't want to search out a set of old skis can i just use a piece of 1/2" or 1/4" ply for the time being?
I imagine that you could. I used to use 1/2 inch aluminum plates I made from stock material. But, most ply is soft. I'd recommend a hardwood ply. Also, another skater I know made his plates out of 1/4" phenolic sheet material. <---click it!! (that link takes you to a really good quad skate website)

Quote:
4. as far as boots go, do low cut boots leave ankle bones exposed in a bad way so i'd mess up my ankle bones? or also along those lines, could i just mount some leather boot like a doc marten on the plate?
A lot depends on how strong your ankles are. Mine have always been pretty strong. I'm a jogger from way back. It also helps if you know how to fall; especially with pads. I almost always fall to my knee and elbow pads, in order to prevent injury to the rest of my body.

Doc Martens would not work well as skate boots; They have very soft soles. Your bolts would get ripped out. I know guys who use inline boots, army boots, etc. (preferably leather soled) for theirs, and they work ok. Higher ankle boots work better if you do not skate sideways.

Quote:
5. i think i have a couple really old sets of OJ's or OJ II wheels, do you think they'll work.
There are a lot of different OJ wheels out there. Which ones? I need to know how big and what hardness they are. Also, it helps to know if you are riding cement parks or wood.

I think OJII's are probably good. I think they are 61mm and 97 hardness. I would be willing to use those.

Quote:
thanks for any info and if you have any tips for me or anything please fire away!

Knight
You are welcome! As for tips, most people who build their own skates learn through trial and error. One thing that helps to make your own skates is having the right equipment (power tools) in order to make your own! Also, your needs will change as you progress. I used to use soft wheels when I was an outdoor roller skater. Now, I use harder wheels, as I have become almost exclusively a vert skater. Over the years, I found that the soft wheels make you work too hard to get speed and height. It isn't like street skating where you need the friction from stroking to give you speed. In a skate setting, I almost never stroke. I pump the bowl walls and transitions to increase my speed. For that, you need a harder wheel.

If you have any more questions, just ask!! I love it that you are looking to make your own quad vert skates. Where do you live, btw??

Last edited by biffsk8er; April 23rd, 2011 at 06:10 AM.
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Armadillo

biffsk8er,

+++111 on your thoughtful, caring and wisdom filled post. You are a really generous contributor to the SLF, and posts like this inspire me to also try and be this helpful when people post questions where I have some experience. Thanks!

-Armadillo
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #4
biffsk8er

Thanks Armadillo. I appreciate your appreciation!! :P

However, I do want to point out that good questions deserve good answers, and Knight asked very well thought out questions! It shows that he is seriously considering what he is about to attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
biffsk8er,

+++111 on your thoughtful, caring and wisdom filled post. You are a really generous contributor to the SLF, and posts like this inspire me to also try and be this helpful when people post questions where I have some experience. Thanks!

-Armadillo
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Knight

hey biffsk8er, thanks for the response and great info! i have a concrete skate park not far from me but there also is a huge wood ramp nearby with bowls and stuff though i don't know how amicable the guys who skate there would be towards a quad guy who's starting off. so i'll maybe have to use diff wheels on the different surfaces. i do have quad street skating experience indoors and out already.

yeah the OJ II's are small and hard, my only prob is i have random sets and they're all worn funny and old as heck so i'll have to see.

i'll post when i'm building my plates/skates. it should be interesting. i may just use the wide indy's and get myself into skating side stance. that way i don't have to spend a ton to get myself on the way. also i might just strip the rails off an old deck and use those.

THANKS!
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #6
biffsk8er

Quote:
hey biffsk8er, thanks for the response and great info!
You bet, anytime!!

Quote:
i may just use the wide indy's and get myself into skating side stance. that way i don't have to spend a ton to get myself on the way.
If you plan on skating side stance, then I suggest this:

Go to the rink, hold someones hands (preferably a girl) and go in tight circles in the center of the rink. After you get used to that, make the circles bigger until you have to let go of her hands. Then, make bigger and bigger circles skating sideways until you can go all the way around the outer perimeter of the rink.

Once you are making it all the way around the rink, then you will be ready to skate sideways in a bowl. I'd also suggest learning both directions. It will help you immensely in learning more tricks more quickly. I only learned one direction, and it is something that really bugs me. I need to learn to lead with my left foot. I can only barely do it right now that way.
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffsk8er View Post
If you plan on skating side stance, then I suggest this:

Go to the rink, hold someones hands (preferably a girl) and go in tight circles in the center of the rink. After you get used to that, make the circles bigger until you have to let go of her hands. Then, make bigger and bigger circles skating sideways until you can go all the way around the outer perimeter of the rink.

Once you are making it all the way around the rink, then you will be ready to skate sideways in a bowl. I'd also suggest learning both directions. It will help you immensely in learning more tricks more quickly. I only learned one direction, and it is something that really bugs me. I need to learn to lead with my left foot. I can only barely do it right now that way.
woah! sounds like some good advice ... i'll try it.
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Knight

my Indy trucks are both diff sizes so not gonna work. i'm gonna have to buy some. what about ACE 00 trucks, would those work? or if i buy used what should i look for?
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM   #9
biffsk8er

Quote:
my Indy trucks are both diff sizes so not gonna work. i'm gonna have to buy some. what about ACE 00 trucks, would those work? or if i buy used what should i look for?

I use Ace 00 trucks on my skates right now!! They work really well.

Before that, I had Phantom II's. After I bent two of the Phantom II's, I switched my front trucks to Grind Kings. The Grind kings were slightly smaller than my Phantom II's. It seemed to work well, but it does work better if all of your trucks are the same width.

Last edited by biffsk8er; April 23rd, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
biffsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:48 PM   #10
fritzgutten

hope its all right that i chime in here. just a thought on material sources...first off is skis, most 2nd hand stores (in my area at least) have a rack of various skis for a few bucks a set...another alternative... you said you had some old decks laying around...... could you adapt a chunk of some hard maple skate deck to use? maybe the dish would cause issues, but its a thought.
best of luck!
-Fritz
fritzgutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:26 AM   #11
biffsk8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzgutten View Post
hope its all right that i chime in here. just a thought on material sources...first off is skis, most 2nd hand stores (in my area at least) have a rack of various skis for a few bucks a set...another alternative... you said you had some old decks laying around...... could you adapt a chunk of some hard maple skate deck to use? maybe the dish would cause issues, but its a thought.
best of luck!
-Fritz
I agree on the skis, myself. But, if you read question number three of the original post.....................

Quote:
As to a maple skate board, you are right on target- You'd have to cut out the center of the deck, so as to not get too much of the 'dishing' shape of the deck. Just like BeerHunter did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Hunter View Post
Here is the next version of my vert skates. I have been working with a couple of ideas over the last few months and have finally found a good workable solution.

I have wondered many times if doing a UFS mount was feasible, and also have been curious as to the working usefulness of skateboards cut up for base plates. This feels like a real winner for me!