S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old August 17th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #1
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Default Irene Ching - an incredible female quad vert skater!

Yes, I might be biased but in my eyes, she is the top female vertical roller skater! She is certainly one of my main motivators. Not only does she have an amazing style, but also she is one of the few female roller skaters and an older one with that! When I first started, I had serious doubts due to my age. I was stoked when I found out Irene was 46 and still going strong!! I emailed her, really just to tell her how wonderful of a skater I thought she was. I had no idea she would email me back and turn out to be an amazing person also. She has given me great tips and support. Lucky for me she lives in NY so one day we'll hook up and I am sure I will post pictures.

Here are some videos I have of her:

http://www.campwoodward.com/pibud/vi...rene_ching.mov

A recent one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI32YhMbtd8

Yes, one reason why I so incredibly admire her is that she skates with such power...... I am truely amazed!

This picture was the first one that awestruck me:

Here are her skates:

Heres one of her bios:

http://www.rollergirl.ca/rollerskaters/irene-ching.html

Another site lol. I'm sure I will post more.

http://thehouseofsteam.com/2007/08/1...an-wainwright/

Last edited by roller_dudette; September 3rd, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #2
eli

That's so cool that she'd email you back. =D Her videos are great too, I'm going to check if youtube has any more videos of her. I read the bio you linked to- it was nice. She really doesn't look 46, I guess skating kept her young!
eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

I have quite a few pictures of Irene Ching skating but for now here is one of my favorites... A wounded but happy Irene sitting on top of the outdoor halfpipe at Woodward West:

I am also a big Irene Ching fan!

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 17th, 2007 at 05:23 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #4
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli View Post
That's so cool that she'd email you back. =D Her videos are great too, I'm going to check if youtube has any more videos of her. I read the bio you linked to- it was nice. She really doesn't look 46, I guess skating kept her young!
Well, I"m 37 and people get confused when they see me. From a distance I can pass for a teenager lol, up close they still think I"m around 20. I think roller skating is just so much fun that it helps keep us young! Plus its motivated me to stay as healthy as I can be so I can continue this as long as I can.

Yes, she is very nice. I have yet to run into a snooby roller skater! I guess thats one reason I enjoy it so much and proud to be one. Everyone I run into that is a vert. roller skater is incredibly nice and helpful! Everyone is more then glad to help newbies and to promote the sport to hopefully get it thriving again.
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #5
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
I have quite a few pictures of Irene Ching skating but for now here is one of my favorites... A wounded but happy Irene sitting on the outdoor halfpipe at Woodward West:

I am also a big Irene Ching fan!

- Kathie

Gosh, what a cool picture! Yeah, shes like me, always happy with my skates on. Wow, what nice kneepads! Mine seem so scrawney now lol. Please post more Kathie. Def. a huge Irene fan here!!
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #6
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Default Girlz that'll ride the concrete waves!

It's great to see more Girlz taking up quad vertical these days.
It takes a determination and a fearless attitude to just to get started.
I also truly think they add some needed grace to the sport.

I wish we knew at least one lady that would have ventured into the bowls with us.
There were a couple that had the talent and desire but none that had the jam to attempt it.

Two ladies in particular used to come downhill road skating with us at night.
They were excellent skaters and but we'd take an EZ route anyway.
They may have stayed out of the bowls due to some of the early learning curve crashes they witnessed....can't blame them as saftey gear was non-existent.
Kudos to those Girlz that'll ride the concrete waves!
Keep up the fine work.

CrazeeDave

Last edited by CrazeeDave; August 17th, 2007 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spell
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeDave View Post
It's great to see more Girlz taking up quad vertical these days.
It takes a determination and a fearless attitude to just to get started.
I also truly think they add some needed grace to the sport.

I wish we knew at least one lady that would have ventured into the bowls with us.
There were a couple that had the talent and desire but none that had the jam to attempt it.

Two ladies in particular used to come downhill road skating with us at night.
They were excellent skaters and but we'd take an EZ route anyway.
They may have stayed out of the bowls due to some of the early learning curve crashes they witnessed....can't blame them as saftey gear was non-existent.
Kudos to those Girlz that'll ride the concrete waves!
Keep up the fine work.

CrazeeDave

No gear???? Man, I would be in pieces already lol.

Yeah, Lisa mentioned to me that in LA, LV and Canada, due to roller derby, more girls are giving it a try. Just I dont know if any stick with it enough to even start learning tricks.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM   #8
Wolf1ion

Its thanks to Irene i looked into doing aggressive quad after i heard mention of her name from someone in a roller rink (Theres a Rollerworld still open in Colchester UK, where i was stationed when in the army).

Looked her up on google and when i saw a few pics of her, pretty much inspired me to get on a pair of skates again. The website her bio was on also had a vert skate building guide, so didn't even have to search on how to build em.
Wolf1ion is offline   Reply With Quote