S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 21st, 2017, 09:15 PM   #41
snailmont5oh

From the late 80s to the mid 90s, I skated every evening session my rink had, basically from Wednesday to Sunday. Then, when I got up to 260#, I quit until I could find heavier axles for my skates, which never happened. Then the rink closed.

Fast forward to a month ago, when my Pandora station started hitting me with some awesome shag tunes from back in the day; No Parking on the Dance Floor, Let It Whip, You Can't Touch This, etc. I had to get back on skates. Problem was, my Satellites still had a broken axle, and I'm 350#, so I know that I'll just keep having the same problem. I ended up borrowing my dad's wedding present from my mom, a pair of 1968 GM IIs with Reidells and some Belair Olympians that my brother put on in the 80s. They were heavy as hell, but at least I was skating.

I wasn't happy with how they worked, and how I worked, so I found a used Antik/Arius/Bones/Atom setup, and put my old Wickid Lips wheels on them. As of right now, I'm pretty happy with the skates, but I only have about 40% of my skills, and my knees and ankles have no endurance. I can do something sorta cool for about a lap and a half. I'm fast, but I can't turn for crap. That said, I've done a 2.5 hour session every week for the last five weeks. I know that I need more time, but racing season's coming up fast, and that'll make things awkward.

I wonder how big the fattest roller skater is, and what the world record for speed over 350# is. Maybe I can get in Guiness.

Later,
Mike.
snailmont5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:22 AM   #42
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailmont5oh View Post
From the late 80s to the mid 90s, I skated every evening session my rink had, basically from Wednesday to Sunday. Then, when I got up to 260#, I quit until I could find heavier axles for my skates, which never happened. Then the rink closed.

Fast forward to a month ago, when my Pandora station started hitting me with some awesome shag tunes from back in the day; No Parking on the Dance Floor, Let It Whip, You Can't Touch This, etc. I had to get back on skates. Problem was, my Satellites still had a broken axle, and I'm 350#, so I know that I'll just keep having the same problem. I ended up borrowing my dad's wedding present from my mom, a pair of 1968 GM IIs with Reidells and some Belair Olympians that my brother put on in the 80s. They were heavy as hell, but at least I was skating.

I wasn't happy with how they worked, and how I worked, so I found a used Antik/Arius/Bones/Atom setup, and put my old Wickid Lips wheels on them. As of right now, I'm pretty happy with the skates, but I only have about 40% of my skills, and my knees and ankles have no endurance. I can do something sorta cool for about a lap and a half. I'm fast, but I can't turn for crap. That said, I've done a 2.5 hour session every week for the last five weeks. I know that I need more time, but racing season's coming up fast, and that'll make things awkward.

I wonder how big the fattest roller skater is, and what the world record for speed over 350# is. Maybe I can get in Guiness.

Later,
Mike.
Welcome to SLF. At least you are skating is right. Good exercise and great for the heart. I was a couch potato til I got back into it several years ago. It will come back to you and it will be fun again.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:52 AM   #43
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

I guess how much you skate depends on session availability, location and free time. Then you've got outdoor skating too, which can add to the hours. I just go any time I can. Some weeks it's 5hours, some weeks it's 20 hours. Just depends.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:14 PM   #44
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Youth gives several advantages:

- No fear
- You heal faster, so again,
- No fear (the importance of that cannot be overstated)
- You are more flexible
- You gain muscle faster
- You weigh less

You won't find many top athletes in any sport that start the sport in their late 20s or 30s. Competitive dancers, figure skaters, a lot of boxers, skiers and snowboarders, and many more start before their teens. There are exceptions, but what I said is exactly true. A 10 to 17 year old will learn faster, better, and further than any grownup trying to "back in" what they never did when young.

It's kind of like the old investment axiom: If you start at 20, you can stop at 40, and still have more money than someone that starts at 30 and saves the same monthly amount the rest of their life.
Junior skaters have brains that can very quickly learn new physical skills. Once we get into our mid 20's, the human brain starts to become less adept at learning new skills.

I see this over an over. With adult derby, teaching and learning new skills takes a while. Weeks and sometimes months. Teaching the same skills to junior skaters takes minutes. After 20 or 30 minutes, they have things figured out and nearly perfected.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 07:57 PM   #45
Vampyre

I am going tonight. Trying out one of the other rinks in town. Wednesday night adult night for a fiver. Not the one that used to be a department store with padded columns.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:37 PM   #46
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default May vary based on Region

Hi fierocious,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I can't help but notice that people spend different amounts of time "on the skate floor".
I see hardly any derby skaters in the rink but hear they go to practice. Seems like they would want to be a better skater to be competitive and would spend more time on the floor even when not in practice. o-o
I see opposite of you, so it might be the Region of the USA. Now it comes and goes since Derby has started. At the beginning they could not get enough rink time, and now once again I see the Great Derby guys and gals spending time at the rink, even before skating practice. Tonight I might go skating and I expect to see at least 6 great Derby guys and one I wanted to do the "Shoot the Duck Dance" the last time we skated. He also does a great sideways turn skate (Grapevine, I think).

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 24th, 2017, 01:59 PM   #47
ttmanta

3 hr sessions usually 3-4 times a week. Can't get enough lol
Old March 24th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #48
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi fierocious,

I see opposite of you, so it might be the Region of the USA. Now it comes and goes since Derby has started. At the beginning they could not get enough rink time, and now once again I see the Great Derby guys and gals spending time at the rink, even before skating practice. Tonight I might go skating and I expect to see at least 6 great Derby guys and one I wanted to do the "Shoot the Duck Dance" the last time we skated. He also does a great sideways turn skate (Grapevine, I think).

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
I have noticed in a couple of rinks that there is occasional derby girl making use of skate time. Mostly the ones determined to better their skills in endurance, direction changes and crossovers. Lots don't make it though.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #49
snailmont5oh

I'm so happy! I found an outdoor roller hockey rink that is unoccupied and unlocked at night, so I think I'll get some outdoor wheels and cheaper bearings and get some serious skating time after work! I work 3-11, so it's hard to skate on more than just weekends.
snailmont5oh is offline   Reply With Quote