S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 19th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #1
Jeltz

Default New Boots - Antik MG2 1st tee nut mounting

Skate shops are pretty thin on the ground in the UK but while visiting Devon I managed to get over to Momma Truckers in Exeter and was able to try on a few boots in a variety of sizes. It came down to an Antik MG2 or Reidell 265, both were just slightly over budget but I figured buy cheep buy twice so I stretched the budget and although the Antik was the dearer of the two, it was a better shape for my foot and so comfortable so it was an easy decision to make.

I've taken the Sure-Grip Avenger plates off my Bauer Ice Skate conversion as they were causing me ankle plain (hence the need for new boots) that was a major task as I struggled to stop the bolts spinning around while removing the nuts! It must have taken nearly an hour albeit most of that was trying to find a screwdriver bit which would fit snugly enough into the odd shaped slot on the bolt so that I could use a socket wrench on the bolt.

The plates are US made so I'm assuming that the sizing is imperial but since I'm in the UK what I can source easily is in metric; I've gone for M5 (5mm diameter) as the original fixings seem to be 3/16" in diameter and a snug fit, I don't yet know if I will have to drill out the plates to accommodate the very slight increase in bolt diameter but I'm working on the assumption that I will.

I wanted to use smooth tee nuts, but the only smooth tee nuts I could find only had a depth of 7mm which is a bit shorter than I suspect I will need so I also got 9mm pronged ones just in case. Alternatively I might also use the pronged ones in the heel and smooth at the toe as the smooth ones will most likely not protrude through the sole. I also ordered several lengths of hex button head machine screws so I should have the optimum fixings and plenty of bits left over for the tool box.

The aim is to assemble the skates on Wednesday night, as I'm skating Thursday. I've mounted plates before so I'm quite happy with plate placement and have marked out for a sports mount but since this is my 1st attempt at mounting a plate using tee nuts so any tips or things to watch out for with this method would be great.

Anyway, here's how they look currently
Jeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:53 PM   #2
Jeltz

Job done, ready to roll tomorrow evening
Old August 27th, 2017, 05:40 PM   #3
wired

Nice looking stakes!

How did they perform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
...although the Antik was the dearer of the two, it was a better shape for my foot and so comfortable so it was an easy decision to make.
And a good one. Fit is very important. You are very lucky to get to try on several!

Quote:
...most of that was trying to find a screwdriver bit which would fit snugly enough into the odd shaped slot on the bolt so that I could use a socket wrench on the bolt.
When I have a tool fit problem I tend to get the grinder out fairly quickly. It's amazing how many modified tools I have and how handy they have been subsequently.

Quote:
The plates are US made so I'm assuming that the sizing is imperial...
Ummmm.... SAE! Or more correctly UTS.

Didn't you chaps inflict Wentworth on the World?

Did you end up doing any drilling on the plates?

Quote:
I wanted to use smooth tee nuts, but the only smooth tee nuts I could find only had a depth of 7mm which is a bit shorter than I suspect I will need so I also got 9mm pronged ones just in case.
You can always flatten the prongs or use a Dremmel to modify length.

Old August 27th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Jeltz

They skate really well and are very comfortable, like any adjustment it took a few minutes to get used to albeit part of that was a adjusting how tight the king pin nut was.

Fortunately I didn't have to drill the plates and the prongless t-nuts were deep enough.