S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 24th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #1
BIGEMANN

Question Sure Grip Classic Plate help !

I recently purchased a pair of Classic Plates , and have mounted them on a pair of Riedell 172 Rhythm Boots , but have not skated on them yet .
I hope some one who's familiar with these plates can help me out with a few concerns I have !
First . The pivot pins threads extend 1/2 inch out from the trucks before seating correctly in the cups . Is this correct ? I seems to extend far to much . I have the cushions compressed very tight in order to leave as much of the pivot pins threaded shaft in the truck as possible . I like quick and responsive trucks , but I don't see this happening with the these medium hard cushions that came with these plates compressed this much . If I loosen the trucks for more response I will have to extend the pivot pin even farther out to seat it , which will leave even less of the threaded end of the pin in the truck .
Please .....any information or advise !
Secondly . I have always used Snyder plates , but thought I would purchase these less expensive plates yet still have the adjustable pivot pin feature .
How do these plates perform ?
Please advise !
BIGEMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Skatervideoguy

Hi BIGEMANN,

Can you provide some Pics of these Plates and the Trucks/Pivots ??

Sounds like the Cushions may be too thick ?? Cups worn out ??

When I had a set of those, the Pivots never came out that far.

They did well for me - back then.

Harold
Old February 25th, 2014, 02:08 AM   #3
BIGEMANN

Default Pictures

Hello Skatervideoguy ! Thanks for responding . I have taken some pics , but I don't know how to include them . Can you tell me how to do this please ?
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

When logged in, click on your userid. Then click on user cp. Under networking click on Pictures and Albums. Click add album. Give it a name and perhaps a description. Click upload pictures. Click one of the choose file boxes and it will take you to a dialog that will show files on your computer.

As for your issue, generally, I'd say so long as you can adjust the pin, and it is correct, don't worry how long it is. BUT, I'll reserve final judgement until we see the pics.
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:03 AM   #5
BIGEMANN

Default Classic Plate Pivot Pin and Cushion Pics

These pics aren't very good , but I hope you can get an ideal of what my concern is . The pins stick out of the truck by about 1/2 inch .
The plates and cushions are brand new (never been skated on ) . The cushions are 1/2 inch thick and came with the trucks , and are a medium hardness . I've only had the plates about 3 weeks now . I purchased the boots, plates with trucks and 7mm axles , bearings and wheels all separately . I mounted the plates a week ago and started to adjust them when I noticed this . I've always skated Snyder plates and on Snyders the pins do not do this . I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not , but it does not seem to be very much of the pin left in the truck .
I took off the nut and washer so you can get a good look at the distance they protrude . These pics apply to all 4 trucks give or take a 16th of an inch .

I have included new pics in next post .

Last edited by BIGEMANN; February 25th, 2014 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Pictures no good .
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:37 AM   #6
Skatervideoguy

Hi BIGEMANN,

All I get is a black screen with a tiny white Dot in the center ???

Harold
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:01 AM   #7
BIGEMANN

Default New Pics

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/pict...pictureid=5346

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/pict...pictureid=5348

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/pict...pictureid=5347
Old February 25th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

You needed to open each image, r click, copy image address and paste between the image tags: [IMG]…..[/IMG]

Also, a pulled back view of picture one would be good. To see the pin and full truck and how the cushions are sitting.

That sure is a long pivot pin. But that does not necessesarily mean it is wrong. I don't have any hands on experience with a Classic. It sure don't look like it could EVER screw all the way in to the truck, so maybe long is the way it is supposed to be??
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #9
leshomes

Default Are the pivot cups missing?

These are a Size 3 Plate

Old February 26th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #10
BIGEMANN

Default Full Plate and Pivot Pin

Have any of the pictures shown up ? If not , can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong . This is my first time doing this and I must be missing something . I thought I was following you guys directions . Please advice !

Last edited by BIGEMANN; February 26th, 2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Pictures can't be seen .
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #11
leshomes

Cant see the pics
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #12
BIGEMANN

Question Pics

I can see them when I open the thread . I don't understand why you guys can't . Sorry..... Please advise !
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #13
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGEMANN View Post
Have any of the pictures shown up ? If not , can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong . This is my first time doing this and I must be missing something . I thought I was following you guys directions . Please advice !
You needed to open each image, r click, copy image address and paste between the image tags: [IMG]…..[/IMG]

Go into the album, r click, copy image address. Type in the img tags, shown above, and paste the image address in-between.

[IMG]pasted image address[/IMG]
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:51 AM   #14
BIGEMANN

Default Full Plate and Pivot Pin

The lines in the pic of the pin indicate how much of the shaft remains in the truck after the pin is seated into the cup . Does this look correct , or normal ?

Last edited by BIGEMANN; February 26th, 2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question .
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #15
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

HERE WE GO WITH THE PICS

Old February 26th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #16
BIGEMANN

Default I see you can see the pics

I hope you're saying the pics can be seen Rufusprime99
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:44 AM   #17
BIGEMANN

Default Pivot Cups

Leshomes the pivot cups are there . My plates are an 8 in the Sure Grip sizes . It appears that your Pivot Pins are out as far as mine .
I have purchased 8 Classic Truck soft cushions (red stripe) . It cost me $30.00 dollars for 8 - 1/2inch thick pieces of quarter size rubber (crazy)
My concern with this situation is that there's not enough pin legt in the truck to keep me from falling on my "you know what"
I'm hoping the soft cushions will allow me to compress the cushions more , in hopes that this will keep the pivot pins from having to be extended so far out from the trucks to seat properly. I like responsive trucks , but as it stands now to keep more of the pivot pin shaft in the truck , I really have to tighten the king pin down which really compresses these medium hard cushions . I have skated long enough to know that this will not give the truck response I'm accustomed to . I'm hoping the softer cushions will accomplish this
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #18
BIGEMANN

Default Thanks

BTW... Thanks rufusprime99 for helping me with this picture thing . I really appreciate it !
Old February 27th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #19
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

No matter what adjustment you make to the kingpin, make sure the pivot pin is bottomed out in the pivot pin cup, and the lock nut is fully tightened.

I'm surprised to see a red stripe on a Classic plate cushion. Back when I was skating on my Classics, only one hardness was available.
Old February 27th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #20
BIGEMANN

Default Cushions

I found three types at create-a-skate.com (Connies Skate Place) . Medium= white stripe - Hard= yellow stripe , and Soft= red stripe .
Do you feel there's enough of the Pivot Pin still left in the truck to be safe , judging by the picture of the Pivot Pin with the 2 lines above ?
I'm not scared to fall , but I'm 62 years old . and coming back from a year long diabetic coma . I feel well but I know I'm probably a little brittle
I concerned about a devastating equipment failure and fall
I have not skated in years now , and this pivot pin setup is a little scary . So any advice that I can use will definitely be taken in , applied and appreciated !
BTW....I paid 30 bucks total for the 8 soft cushions . Boy prices have gone up !

Tags
sure grip plates