S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 11th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #21
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
do you know where these were chucked??? lol.... i dont think 20 years later is to hard to find them??? lol.... i love these bearings i have a few sets.... ive sold off everything else and i had alot of bearings
If they happen to turn up you'll be the first to know......Well second I guess. Cause technically I'd be the first to know
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #22
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If they happen to turn up you'll be the first to know......Well second I guess. Cause technically I'd be the first to know
now your a funny guy iggy lol.... with my weight these things are aweomse.... but im also in a weight range of kids mostly lol...
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:31 AM   #23
quadlover
80's Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I had a set of Boss Swiss in the early to mid 90s. I hated them. They slowed down and got really crappy feeling after about a month. I clean and reoiled them and it didn't help. I chucked them and bought a set of China Bones and the were 10x better.
I have both China and Swiss ones. I weigh around 200 pounds. IMO I like this Swiss bearings better, but the China ones aren't bad. You must have gotten a bad set Iggy
quadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #24
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadlover View Post
I have both China and Swiss ones. I weigh around 200 pounds. IMO I like this Swiss bearings better, but the China ones aren't bad. You must have gotten a bad set Iggy
ive had many many sets of the china reds... i wont even skate them... complete crap to me
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #25
quadlover
80's Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteridr95 View Post
ive had many many sets of the china reds... i wont even skate them... complete crap to me
I was just trying to be nice. My opinion is not much different from yours.
quadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #26
niteridr95

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadlover View Post
I was just trying to be nice. My opinion is not much different from yours.
when it comes to bearing unless your on a large budget i dont knwo what nice is lol
Old September 19th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #27
AZSHOT

Old thread, but I don't see any commentary after this on Boss Swiss Speed bearings. I just got a set, will be trying them out. They seem fast and clean in as found condition, I may not even clean them first. I don't like having to take off a metal shield. We shall see....
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #28
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Not removable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Old thread, but I don't see any commentary after this on Boss Swiss Speed bearings. I just got a set, will be trying them out. They seem fast and clean in as found condition, I may not even clean them first. I don't like having to take off a metal shield. We shall see....

Do Not remove the shield. If you really feel the need, pull the crown on the other side and scrub, races, balls and crown carefully. Just be careful they don't fall apart in the process. Then put them back together and lube with what ever magic potion you deem suits your needs.

Old September 21st, 2017, 12:11 AM   #29
AZSHOT

Thanks. I'm thinking of running them how they are, they seem to spin well. Or how about this for a cleaning technique: soak them in kerosene for a few days? That solvent seems to be the best at melting grease, of the many I've tried.
Old September 21st, 2017, 01:10 AM   #30
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Yes it will remove the grease ,but how to put the 1 drop of oil in......
You could soak it in oil.
But then you will have an oil slick for 6 months.
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #31
AZSHOT

Ha! Yeah, it's a quandary. I'm saving them for the next time I need bearings, I'm using Fafnirs now with no shield. I think if when I use them if they "feel dirty" or stiff, then I'll have to clean.

My technique may be:
1. soak in kerosene for a few days, drain
2. soak in WD-40 a day, drain
3. soak in isopropyl alchohol, drain

At that point the grease would hopefully be gone, without removing the shields to see. Note I go from the best solvent for grease, to a thinner one, to one that should clean it all out? I'm basing this on some experimentation.

4. drop some CLP Breakfree or Speed Cream in each bearing, hope it's enough, use.
Old September 28th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #32
fierocious1

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, it's a quandary. I'm saving them for the next time I need bearings, I'm using Fafnirs now with no shield. I think if when I use them if they "feel dirty" or stiff, then I'll have to clean.

My technique may be:

At that point the grease would hopefully be gone, without removing the shields to see. Note I go from the best solvent for grease, to a thinner one, to one that should clean it all out? I'm basing this on some experimentation.

4. drop some CLP Breakfree or Speed Cream in each bearing, hope it's enough, use.
tooo much work.... for me...
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 12:32 PM   #33
quantoo

Default what i do is

Quote:

My technique may be:

i do it this way
Take one shield off each bearing
with compressed air blow the grease out as much as possible
use a 20cm length of 1/4" all thread bolted to a large pompadore or pasta sauce bottle lid
fill the long pasta sauce bottle with unleaded fuel to within 50mm from the top
have one nut threaded on about half way up the all thread then put one spacer one bearing one spacer one bearing etc until you have 8 bearings with the unshielded side facing down.proceed to jiggle the bearings like a tea bag in the fuel in the sauce bottle.
Remove the all thread with bearings still attached and with compressed air Approx 60 psi carefully Blow the bearings out once again.Caution do not spin the bearings up to a high noisy speed with compressed air ,they can explode and fragments can take your eye out.
jiggle again if required. finally i use methylated spirits poured into the unsheilded side of the bearings and blow dry with compressed air.
add one to 2 drops of bones speed cream to each bearing then face the unshielded side inwards on your wheels. repeat for the other 8 bearings

beware that kerosene can swell rubber seals if left to soak for too long
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:19 PM   #34
AZSHOT

One problem is these have metal shields. I don't want to pry them off and damage them. Hence the long soaking idea. Which isn't really much work, you put them in the jar and pour in the liquid. Return later.

Do you think soaking with the shields on will get rid of any grease inside? Or just make a mess?
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:14 AM   #35
quantoo

Default not both

you only take the inside one off regardless if they are metal or neoprene
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote