S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 28th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #21
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGEMANN View Post
I found three types at create-a-skate.com (Connies Skate Place) . Medium= white stripe - Hard= yellow stripe , and Soft= red stripe .
Do you feel there's enough of the Pivot Pin still left in the truck to be safe , judging by the picture of the Pivot Pin with the 2 lines above ?
I'm not scared to fall , but I'm 62 years old . and coming back from a year long diabetic coma . I feel well but I know I'm probably a little brittle
I concerned about a devastating equipment failure and fall
I have not skated in years now , and this pivot pin setup is a little scary . So any advice that I can use will definitely be taken in , applied and appreciated !
BTW....I paid 30 bucks total for the 8 soft cushions . Boy prices have gone up !
It is tough to say, but looking at the picture gives me the impression your pivot pin lock nut is absolutely in the wrong place on all of the trucks I can see. They need to be tightened against the truck while the bottomed out pin in held in place with a wrench.

Take care of this before you skate again, or you are definitely destined for a fall when the pin comes out of the cup and allows your truck to suddenly make a 180o turn.

30 bucks for cushions is cheap when you compare the price for Roll-Line. If you can find some Sure-Grip Jr. trucks, you could swap your for those, and then you'd be able to switch over to urethane cushions; which are longer lasting and snappier than rubber.

I never think about falling until it happens and by then my only thoughts on the way down are to kind of try to roll with it and avoid contacting the floor with my hands or head. I'll be 71 this year. Last year I probably fell at least once or twice per month. Whether you are pushing your skill level and slip, or encountering debris on the floor and crash, it is in most skaters' future.

Glad to see you are back on the floor after a serious illness. Be sure to check out the artistic skating forum. There is lots of good advice there.
Old February 28th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #22
BIGEMANN

Default Lock nut

I have not tightened the lock nut in the pictures . I thought not tightening it would give a better ideal of just how far the pivot pin sticks out .
I worked a lot with tools , motors and general fixit stuff , and in IMHO usually this amount of threads in a high torque situation is not good . I could be wrong in this situation . I truly hope so
I have not skated on these yet . My hopes are that when I do it will break in the cushions enough , so I will be able to increase the amount of the pin that is in the truck .
I see we have the same fall theory . I have always tried to control how I fall , but objects on the floor always present a problem . I encountered a penny once while skating a trio competition , and "INSTANT STOP" face forward.....OUCH !!!!!!
Thanks for your encouragement . It's been a long recovery . My balance is really questionable right now , so I'm really hoping that getting back on skates will help this problem !
My hats off to you for staying with it this long . I think its great exercise .
Keep rolling
BIGEMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #23
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

I had the guys at the warehouse go through all the trucks and told them about the problem a few weeks ago when you called me. If you want to swap the pates for something else just let me know. I have no idea why the pivot pins are so far out on these.
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:35 AM   #24
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffTheEdge View Post
I had the guys at the warehouse go through all the trucks and told them about the problem a few weeks ago when you called me. If you want to swap the pates for something else just let me know. I have no idea why the pivot pins are so far out on these.
It is hard to imagine Sure-Grip would manufacture too short of a pivot pin on a plate they've been manufacturing for decades.

If the pivot pin is fully seated in the cup, and if there are an adequate amount of threads screwed into the truck, there should not be any problem. What I see in the photos is a pivot pin that simply needs to be adjusted, and tightened against the truck.

I think the Classic is a great plate for a returning skater, and I don't see what it could be swapped for, other than a Sure-Grip Century or Competitor. Considering both of those are available with urethane cushions, he might be better off. I don't know because I've not used either of the two. However, neither the Century or Competitor have adjustable pivot pins.

So much of it depends upon experience.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #25
BIGEMANN

I'm not sure if the pins are correct or not , but it just doesn't feel quite right . Although as I have said , I have not skated on them as of yet .
Is there a basic starting point in inches when the pivot pin is seated in the cup , that the pivot pin should protrude ?
I've been really thinking about taking you up on that offer to swap them out for something else . I'm thinking about the Snyder Super Deluxe plates . I'm very familiar with these plates . I started skating indoors at around 10 years old , and have always skated on Snyder plates . My skates were fine until I fell into the diabetic coma . I couldn't walk when I went from the hospital to the nursing home , and after a few moths of therapy was told that I would have to wear braces just to stand . So I bought a bike after being released . Now I'm walking fine , but boy I fell a lot with that bike . The riding wasn't the problem , but the stopping was hell It seems after being told I would never walk without some mechanical help again while in the hospital , and nursing home my skates were so called accidentally given away
I don't want to put down the Classic plates . They look good , and seem well made . I would really like to save the extra cost of Snyders , but I don't want to destroy the Classic plates .
The amount of pivot pin left in the truck after seating may very well be fine , but I think I'll you a call next week and discuss more on this swap ... Thanks !
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #26
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the pins are correct or not , but it just doesn't feel quite right . Although as I have said , I have not skated on them as of yet .
Is there a basic starting point in inches when the pivot pin is seated in the cup , that the pivot pin should protrude ?
I've been really thinking about taking you up on that offer to swap them out for something else . I'm thinking about the Snyder Super Deluxe plates . I'm very familiar with these plates . I started skating indoors at around 10 years old , and have always skated on Snyder plates . My skates were fine until I fell into the diabetic coma . I couldn't walk when I went from the hospital to the nursing home , and after a few moths of therapy was told that I would have to wear braces just to stand . So I bought a bike after being released . Now I'm walking fine , but boy I fell a lot with that bike . The riding wasn't the problem , but the stopping was hell It seems after being told I would never walk without some mechanical help again while in the hospital , and nursing home my skates were so called accidentally given away
I don't want to put down the Classic plates . They look good , and seem well made . I would really like to save the extra cost of Snyders , but I don't want to destroy the Classic plates .
The amount of pivot pin left in the truck after seating may very well be fine , but I think I'll you a call next week and discuss more on this swap ... Thanks !
Out of curiosity, I just removed one of the pivot pins from my Sure-Grip Classic Plate. It is 1 3/8" long. When it is fully seated in the pivot pin cup the shaft is approximately 7/8" long. This means you have at least 1/4" of the threads going into the truck.

I doubt yours are of a different size, and you should have no problem with them if you simply rotate the shaft counter clockwise until it bottoms out in the cup. Using a 3/8" open end wrench, hold the pivot pin in place while you tighten the half inch nut, clockwise against the truck. Make sure the star washer is sandwiched between the nut and the truck. Repeat on the remaining pivot pins. When your cushion adjustments are looser, more of the threaded shaft is exposed. When cushion adjustment is tighter, the gap between the pivot pin cup and the truck is smaller, and fewer of the threads on the shaft will be exposed.

After rereading you posts and reviewing your pictures; what you have is quite correct, and only needs tightening as explained above. Considering you are just coming back to skating, at your level, the Classic should perform very well for you.
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #27
BIGEMANN

Thumbs up

Thanks sk84luv for taking the time to check your pivot pins dimensions . I really appreciate it !
My pins are on par with yours . Your effort has given me the confidence to use these plates after all . That was the info I was hoping for . If you say a 1/4 inch is adequate , I'll take your word for it .
I know each skater will have their trucks adjusted differently . Some tighter , some looser .
I thought maybe there was a general measurement that the pivot pins should extend from the truck initially .
Thanks again I think you've saved me over a hundred dollars for new plates .
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #28
BIGEMANN

I skated on the plates Saturday any Sunday . They were great ! I started Cautiously . I'm a bop skater , at least that's what we called it back in the day . The plates responded great . I was Impressed . I'm use to Snyder plates . These were a new experience , but I was pleasantly surprised . I used the Classic Soft cushions (the ones with the red stripe from "connies skate place" ) . The cushions allowed me to adjust my trucks firmly , but keep the 1/4 inch of pivot pin in the truck that seems normal .
I think that the Pivot Pin for the classic plate should be longer , or the pivot pin neck on the truck should be longer , so that more of the pivot pin is imbedded in the truck .
I'm not as young as I use to be , so I don't skate as hard as I use to . I don't think at that time I would have had a lot of confidence in the pivot pin design of the classic plate as it is right now . I think the pivot pin when seated in the cup should have at least 1/2 inch still in the truck after seated . Just to be on the safe side !
I don't skate as many hours a week as when I was younger , so these plates will suffice , but if I had the time to skate more I would opt for the Snyders . Just my MHO !
Any thoughts from anyone ?
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #29
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

The only ding that sticks in my mind regarding the Classic is it is a bit heavier than some higher priced plates. But a good 10 degree art/dance plate. Provided you like it, which it seems you do, you should do very well for many years. No worries.
Old March 6th, 2014, 02:48 AM   #30
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
I skated on the plates Saturday any Sunday . They were great ! I started Cautiously . I'm a bop skater , at least that's what we called it back in the day . The plates responded great . I was Impressed . I'm use to Snyder plates . These were a new experience , but I was pleasantly surprised . I used the Classic Soft cushions (the ones with the red stripe from "connies skate place" ) . The cushions allowed me to adjust my trucks firmly , but keep the 1/4 inch of pivot pin in the truck that seems normal .
I think that the Pivot Pin for the classic plate should be longer , or the pivot pin neck on the truck should be longer , so that more of the pivot pin is imbedded in the truck .
I'm not as young as I use to be , so I don't skate as hard as I use to . I don't think at that time I would have had a lot of confidence in the pivot pin design of the classic plate as it is right now . I think the pivot pin when seated in the cup should have at least 1/2 inch still in the truck after seated . Just to be on the safe side !
I don't skate as many hours a week as when I was younger , so these plates will suffice , but if I had the time to skate more I would opt for the Snyders . Just my MHO !
Any thoughts from anyone ?
This is great news. I'm glad you had a successful roll.

The pivot pin has been a safe effective design from the onset. However, I can see how you might be psyched out about the thought it may snap, or come loose.

The only thing dangerous about it is user failure to routinely check to make sure the locking nut is tight, and there is no slack between the end of the pivot pin and the cup. Grab the boot in one hand and the wheels in the other. If you feel movement in the truck, or hear the pivot pin clicking in the cup, it's time to adjust.
Old March 16th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #31
BIGEMANN

I have been skating on them about 10 times now . I'm very happy with these plates . Skating as I was hoping seems to be helping with my balance . I have not had a tumble yet ! They are a little heavier , but its minor to me .
I have been checking the pivot pins regularly and all's well !
I am glad I opted to get the Classic red stripe soft cushion . They give the trucks just the action I was looking for . The response is great ! I appreciate all the help , suggestions and advice Thanks !
Now if I could only find some red anodized 7mm axle nuts for a little bling
Old March 17th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #32
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Great to hear BIGEMANN! Another "comeback" skater success.

Anodized axle nuts? Hmm? Well I guess the best place to FIND axle nuts is amongst axle nuts!
Old March 18th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #33
BIGEMANN

Not 7mm red anodized . I have been looking for quite awhile now . I can find 6mm and below . Then they jump past 7mm to 8mm and above .
Old March 24th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #34
BIGEMANN

Thanks for the encouragement rufusprime99 . I getting my wheels back under me a little at a time , and boy does it feel good . I had a slight fall this weekend nothing to bad . No fault of the plates . I was pulled down by a female beginning skater trying not to fall . She reached out and grabbed me , and we both went down
I'm very happy with the plates . I like the weight of them . I'm 6 foot 2 , and 212 pounds so I don't notice the extra weight when skating . I only feel a slight difference when sitting down and lifting them .
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #35
B1zzzbee

Smile

Hi. I am new to the group. Glad to hear you are getting your roll on again.
B1zzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #36
BIGEMANN

Thanks B1zzzbee . Its been a challenge but I think I'm doing great now . I have not skated in about 2 weeks now . My Riedell 172 boots did not come with any lace speed hooks . I decided to have some installed . 20 in all , 5 on each side . so they are in the shop now . I'm hoping to get them back the Monday after Easter .
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #37
BIGEMANN

I want to thank "DocSk8" for helping me add some bling . I purchased some old school bearing dust covers from Connies Skate Place , and I wanted to add red axle nuts to my 7mm axles . Doc informed me that finding red axle nuts to fit 7mm axles would be almost impossible . He was correct . His advice was simply to get trucks with 8mm axles , and that I only needed the bare truck . He gave me a great deal on the trucks .
So thanks again Doc !!!!!!!
Old September 17th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #38
jcmil2

Quote:
I recently purchased a pair of Classic Plates , and have mounted them on a pair of Riedell 172 Rhythm Boots , but have not skated on them yet .
I hope some one who's familiar with these plates can help me out with a few concerns I have !
First . The pivot pins threads extend 1/2 inch out from the trucks before seating correctly in the cups . Is this correct ? I seems to extend far to much . I have the cushions compressed very tight in order to leave as much of the pivot pins threaded shaft in the truck as possible . I like quick and responsive trucks , but I don't see this happening with the these medium hard cushions that came with these plates compressed this much . If I loosen the trucks for more response I will have to extend the pivot pin even farther out to seat it , which will leave even less of the threaded end of the pin in the truck .
Please .....any information or advise !
Secondly . I have always used Snyder plates , but thought I would purchase these less expensive plates yet still have the adjustable pivot pin feature .
How do these plates perform ?
Please advise !
Loosen the lock nut about 1/8" out from the truck and roll the pin into the cup with your fingers until you feel it make contact. Don't overtighten it. That will 1) wear out cup and pin both and 2) change the action of the trucks (unless you're going for that). Then secure the locknut well against the truck and you ought to be fine. I skated on Classics for many years until they and much of my other stuff was stolen out of a boarding house I was living in a couple of years ago. Sound about right, everyone?

Last edited by jcmil2; September 17th, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
jcmil2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sure grip plates