S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old December 1st, 2017, 08:38 AM   #1
itisme

Default EDEA Flamenco Boot Problems

Hi,

I've come back to skating after 18 years off and replaced the Star RK and softer boot with a Flamenco in 265 C and Roll Line Spin in 160

The issue I am having is the Flamenco boot, if the dealer measures my feet, I am apparently 255 long with the tip of my left big toe in-line with the 265 sizing mark on the measuring tool, this is first thing in the morning without any heat or opportunity for swelling etc.

I've had the toebox pushed out to relieve some of the pain from the front of the boot but its still really painful on the ball of the foot and getting blisters on the top outside tips of the big toes.

Last night, I had to pull the pin on training and another coach had me stand on the Risport foot plate measuring tool which sized me at just below 270 (268) with a thin EDEA sock on.

Shocked, I tried on one of the other girls 270 Roller Fly and then 270 Flamenco boots, they were like, well, a boot from above.

Using EDEA's foot trace measurement, I have measured 270mm front to back using a thin BIC pen keeping it vertical while I am standing up and 105mm width

This is the second pair of EDEA purchased based on the distributors sizing exercise, first was a pair of Chorus which had blisters around the ankles and toes so bad I couldn't train for a week after 2 hours of dance training, again, 265 C.

Is anyone aware of a sizing rule for calculating this that would explain why the dealer is trying to cram me into a 265 C when I am showing up right on 265 on foot plates when my feet are cold and relaxed?

All I can think of is my foot is 'cold' fitting the 265 right on the limit, the minute we get some heat into the feet and things start to sweat and swell, as the boot is full already, there is nowhere to go.

I'm going nuts, feet are killing me, spending months and driving hundreds of KM per week to train and unable to give it 100% because the boots are killing me so any advice would be great!

Rob
itisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 12:13 PM   #2
larryoracing

Default Maybe you need size 275C EDEA Flamenco Boots?

Dear Rob,

Sorry to hear about your problem. You seem to say that not even a 270 size Edea Boot fits your foot. You could be one of those people who needs custom boots?

I wonder if a size 275 Edea boot would fit. It seems you need to go to the factory and try on a pair of Edea boots until you find one that fits.

Iím not familiar with the sizing charts/measuring. I just bought my Edea Flamenco Boots on line until I found the size that fits. I experimented with a lot of manufacturers until I found the right size EDEA boot that fit and itís not perfect.

I wear a size 275C Flamenco boot with a thin sock on the right boot and I have heat stretched it a little bit.

I donít know what size boot I should wear if I was put on a EDEA measuring machine. I have never done that. Lately I have been just trying on boots from the manufacture until I find a boot that fits and then I buy it.

My last pair of boots are Berry Boots from Argentina and they are a low cut International style boots which I skate on for American Dance. This boot is not for everybody. I personally think you have to be an excellent skater to skate on them because they are a extremely low cut boot. But they are the most pleasurable, best fitting boot I have ever worn. I wear nothing else for dance.

And I just bought a little taller boot from them that I hope works out for my figures. I just got the boot in and I was not able to try this size, but it is a little bigger (275) than my dance boot (270). Donít know why but we decided the little bigger boot in the Figure Boot was needed over the little smaller boot in dance.

I would say you need to try on a pair of EDEA Boots until you find the size that works for you. At Nationalsl EDEA had all their boots there, so you could try on all the boots until you found one that fit.

Good Luck,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 01:02 PM   #3
itisme

Hi Larry

The 270 fits well, really well, amazingly well

A 275 was a little too big

I guess I am looking for advice on the wholeĒBeen to a pro shop, was fitted, the fit is wrong, it hurt real bad, changed to a softer boot, better but still hurt, had them heated and moulded, better but nothing compared to a 270, now the pro shop refuse to accept that it should be a 270Ē

Went to the rink tonight, I got around the floor 5 times, feet were too sore to continue

Rob
Old December 1st, 2017, 02:10 PM   #4
larryoracing

Default Dear Rob, It looks like you need size 270.

I'm really sorry the boots don't fit. Everybody I know has problems with their boots. I have heard of people sending back their custom boots three times until they got it right. I know people that have bought new boots and they started falling apart, sent them back and finally they fell apart again and the manufacture said they would send them new boots.

I'm sorry that the shop that sold you the boots cannot work with you to resolve the problem, like selling you a new pair of boots at cost.

Maybe you can call EDEA and tell them your story and they can do something for you.

Last option is sell your boots, regain some of the costs and buy the correct size (270) boots.

Now, that you know your size there are lots of manufacturers/sellers on line that sell EDEA boots and you can probably get a better deal because you know your size already.

Good luck.

Larry O
Old December 2nd, 2017, 02:00 AM   #5
itisme

Hi Larry,

Have contacted EDEA already, so its a pretty reasonable expectation that if the pro shop measures you up and fits your foot, it should be pretty right?

Obviously breaking in new boots is a 'special' experience for most people so you usually experience a bit of pressure and pain in different places, boots that are too small are easily masked as 'just need to be broken in' which has what has happened in this case.

Thanks again for the advice, will hit them up on Monday.

Rob
Old December 2nd, 2017, 04:17 AM   #6
larryoracing

Smile Good Luck Rob. Keep us posted. We will be praying for you!

Dear Rob,

Sorry to hear all about your problems. It is really sad. I hate seeing someone who is apparently good having so much bad luck with their skates/boots.

Recently I talked a friend into buying a pair of Energy Plates. He bought them, loves them, but bought the wrong size. To make a long story short he was instructed to buy a longer plate than the ones he was wearing. The longer plate was terrible and he went back, had to buy another Brand New set of Energy plates of the same length, axel to axel length that he was initially wearing.

Then he bought some boots, common to this website and he hated them. He said he would sell the boots and use a second set of the original boots he has. Comfort is everything and once you find the brand and size that fits, you never change!

Case in point. It is possible to buy a pair of boots and never break them in. I bought some Berry Boots at Nationals. They fit perfect the first day I tried them on, had no break in period and I wear them every day.

These are absolutely the most comfortable, bet fitting boots I have ever bought.

I decided I needed a different pair of boots for Figures. A little taller boot and a little stiffer. Since they didnít have the exact size at Natiionals we guessed on the size I needed which is different than the size I bought for dance.

It took a couple of months to get these boots. They were made in Argentina and shipped to America. Again these boots fit perfect. They are taller than the Dance Boot and stiffer, but there is no pain or stress on any part of the boot to my foot. Yes, we will break in the boot, but not for comfort only because the stiffer boot material will break down a little and be a little more flexible.

I really believe these taller and stiffer boot would work perfect for dance if the insides of the boot were made of the same soft material as the dance boot. Iím going to ask Patricia or Adrienne at Berry Skates if this would be possible as a custom order.

Patricia is always amazed at how I use and how I interpret the need of a product modification to fit a new purpose not thought of before.

Good luck. I only wish you could wear a EDEA Flamenco 275C boot. I have a pair I would give you a really good deal on because Iím going to the new style Berry Boot in its place.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Old December 3rd, 2017, 02:25 PM   #7
itisme

Hi Larry

270 Ice Fly on a 160 plate tonight was magic but the Flamenco would be even better

Itís just not possible to point and flex those stiff boots to get close to the 90 degree bends

Anyways thanks for the advice good luck on the Berryís!

Rob
Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM   #8
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme View Post
Hi,

I've come back to skating after 18 years off and replaced the Star RK and softer boot with a Flamenco in 265 C and Roll Line Spin in 160

The issue I am having is the Flamenco boot, if the dealer measures my feet, I am apparently 255 long with the tip of my left big toe in-line with the 265 sizing mark on the measuring tool, this is first thing in the morning without any heat or opportunity for swelling etc.

I've had the toebox pushed out to relieve some of the pain from the front of the boot but its still really painful on the ball of the foot and getting blisters on the top outside tips of the big toes.

Last night, I had to pull the pin on training and another coach had me stand on the Risport foot plate measuring tool which sized me at just below 270 (268) with a thin EDEA sock on.

Shocked, I tried on one of the other girls 270 Roller Fly and then 270 Flamenco boots, they were like, well, a boot from above.

Using EDEA's foot trace measurement, I have measured 270mm front to back using a thin BIC pen keeping it vertical while I am standing up and 105mm width

This is the second pair of EDEA purchased based on the distributors sizing exercise, first was a pair of Chorus which had blisters around the ankles and toes so bad I couldn't train for a week after 2 hours of dance training, again, 265 C.

Is anyone aware of a sizing rule for calculating this that would explain why the dealer is trying to cram me into a 265 C when I am showing up right on 265 on foot plates when my feet are cold and relaxed?

All I can think of is my foot is 'cold' fitting the 265 right on the limit, the minute we get some heat into the feet and things start to sweat and swell, as the boot is full already, there is nowhere to go.

I'm going nuts, feet are killing me, spending months and driving hundreds of KM per week to train and unable to give it 100% because the boots are killing me so any advice would be great!

Rob
Measuring for Edea boots arenít as straightforward as weíd like to think. I measure all the kids in my club and order their skates. I have an EDEA measuring device. The easiest way for you to measure your feet is to place a paper under your feet after having backed your heels up to the wall. Have somebody mark a line on the farthest point of your foot. Then measure the end of the paper to that point. Thatís your size (measure in mm). Adults can add 5 mm maybe 10.

The thing about Edea is that the insoles for the 5 size is the same as the zero above it. Thereís just more room in the toe of the zero. So a 265 and 270 are basically the same with more room in the toe of the 270. As a consequence I rarely put people in a size ending in a 5 unless I convinced they need it. So for you, Iíd go with 270 without batting an eye. 275 would be a new size and probably too big but 5 - 10 mm is ok.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote