S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 7th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #141
Spencer.Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxevegan View Post
I think KD proved that he's still strong on his 125s
WOW! More than a minute ahead of you and SM! Impressive!
http://www.mtecresults.com/race/quic...4&overallm=yes
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #142
SkateMO

Quote:
I think KD proved that he's still strong on his 125s
Yeah, interesting race...in terms of the way it played out. Obviously, I wasn't there, so the only information I have is FB posts and conversations with others that skated, but I have to admit I was surprised. Not so much in the winner, but just the way it unfolded. I think there was more team skating happening than what may have been visible to others, but I don't really know...

Looking at the results 32 and 33 mins is really fast by the way
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:30 PM   #143
sxevegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateMO View Post
I think there was more team skating happening than what may have been visible to others, but I don't really know...
Yeah, it's hard to say. That was my first impression during the race. It felt like maybe there was an alliance made before the race, which is all good. That's racing.

It's off topic of 125s, but I'll give a quick recap of how I saw it. Kelin threw in a few early jabs. I decided before the race started that I wasn't strong enough to go with every move that Kelin AND Steffen AND Steve made, so I would focus my efforts on Steffen since he was a nearly unbreakable machine at Chicago, and Kelin wasn't his normal self there. That was a big mistake. Kelin had already taught me 2 other times in St Paul that you can't underestimate him, but that's exactly what I did.

On Kelin's 2nd or 3rd jab, Steve and I were pulling him back when Steffen attacked us and bridged to Kelin solo. I chased back the two of them before the first turnaround, and I think Steve was hurting from a lack of warmup because he got gapped. I had pretty much just gotten across the gap when Kelin attacked again. I thought Steffan and I would be able to bring Kelin back, but it didn't play out that way. Out of the first turnaround Kelin had an 8 second lead on us, and he basically pulled away from us the rest of the time.

In hindsight (which is always 20/20) I should have never let Kelin get more than a 10 second gap. I should have dug as deep as I could when the gap was 8 seconds to see if i could catch him. Maybe i could, maybe I couldn't have. It's pretty clear to me now that I showed up without putting enough work in. Kelin was obviously the strongest that day and got to win in front of the hometown crowd. Good on him.

Steve ended up catching Steffen and I. I figured we'd have better luck with 3 than two. He worked really hard to try to catch, and so did I. In the sprint for 2nd, I think Steffen and I went too early. Steve made his move at the right time and schooled us.

In racing, the strongest doesn't always win; but I think he did at St Paul Saturday. Steve put in some realyl hard work during the race, and took a well deserved 2nd. I'm not sure what I deserved. I certainly wasn't happy with 3rd, but I'm not sure what I should expect when I show up underprepared and try to race against great athletes like the other guys in the top 5
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #144
Spencer.Berry

In the large 50-59 group, it looks like Jeff T got 2nd place. I wasn't there, but I'm guessing he was probably on 110's.
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 07:53 PM   #145
SkateMO

Quote:
Yeah, it's hard to say. That was my first impression during the race. It felt like maybe there was an alliance made before the race, which is all good. That's racing.

It's off topic of 125s, but I'll give a quick recap of how I saw it. Kelin threw in a few early jabs. I decided before the race started that I wasn't strong enough to go with every move that Kelin AND Steffen AND Steve made, so I would focus my efforts on Steffen since he was a nearly unbreakable machine at Chicago, and Kelin wasn't his normal self there. That was a big mistake. Kelin had already taught me 2 other times in St Paul that you can't underestimate him, but that's exactly what I did.

On Kelin's 2nd or 3rd jab, Steve and I were pulling him back when Steffen attacked us and bridged to Kelin solo. I chased back the two of them before the first turnaround, and I think Steve was hurting from a lack of warmup because he got gapped. I had pretty much just gotten across the gap when Kelin attacked again. I thought Steffan and I would be able to bring Kelin back, but it didn't play out that way. Out of the first turnaround Kelin had an 8 second lead on us, and he basically pulled away from us the rest of the time.

In hindsight (which is always 20/20) I should have never let Kelin get more than a 10 second gap. I should have dug as deep as I could when the gap was 8 seconds to see if i could catch him. Maybe i could, maybe I couldn't have. It's pretty clear to me now that I showed up without putting enough work in. Kelin was obviously the strongest that day and got to win in front of the hometown crowd. Good on him.

Steve ended up catching Steffen and I. I figured we'd have better luck with 3 than two. He worked really hard to try to catch, and so did I. In the sprint for 2nd, I think Steffen and I went too early. Steve made his move at the right time and schooled us.

In racing, the strongest doesn't always win; but I think he did at St Paul Saturday. Steve put in some realyl hard work during the race, and took a well deserved 2nd. I'm not sure what I deserved. I certainly wasn't happy with 3rd, but I'm not sure what I should expect when I show up underprepared and try to race against great athletes like the other guys in the top 5
Good write up...yeah, I don't really know. I just know how strong SH is. I can't remember a race, other than maybe Duluth (where you have world class skaters) where he hasn't been able to hang with a break-away. He's just able to hammer at such a high pace for much longer than most. So, I'm surprised when I see guys like that not in the break. And, same with you. I would like to race again. I still skate a lot and am in good shape, but I just don't have the competitive fire right now. I just like skating and staying in shape, but I do miss being apart of the races...after they are over.
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #146
sxevegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer.Berry View Post
In the large 50-59 group, it looks like Jeff T got 2nd place. I wasn't there, but I'm guessing he was probably on 110's.
Jeff and one of his teammate on Hoigaards took 6th and 7th overall. They were the top placers on 4 wheels.

edit: Looking at the start photo, there appears to be less 125s in the first wave than 110s. I'm not that surprised, since 125s are still relatively new. 110s feel more stable and overall they are probably nicer to skate on... but, I'm faster on 125s and I'm not willing to give that speed up.
https://www.facebook.com/MaureenStel...type=3&theater
sxevegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #147
SkateMO

And, I would say St. Paul is one of the better courses for 125 wheels, especially if you are skating solo. I think Chicago is probably one of the worst for 125s. Duluth will probably be amazing for 125s, especially with the new pavement and if you get a tailwind. As long as the pace is high throughout, I think 125s are probably the way to go. But, if you're losing momentum (for turns and hills) and changing speeds a lot for breaks and attacks, I just don't know. Clearly, they are working out well for a lot of skaters. I did a 13 mile TT last weekend and I'm not in as good of shape as I was a couple years ago. But, my time was within a minute of what I did my best TT on 125s. Again, I have no idea how the conditions played into that. I don't remember wind speed or temperature, but I know I'm not in as good of shape and I still put up one of my best solo efforts on 110s. I'm thinking of buying a new 125 set-up and trying to do some testing of my own. I'm sure I will be faster on the 125s...
Old August 20th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #148
reely?

Anyone skate TLTF 125s "outdoor" yet for at least a few weeks? Not interested in indoor reviews.

Thanks d

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #149
AZ Roadrunner

125 Mota wheels, I picked up a set for practice, $13 delivered for a banded wheel is worth a try. My first impression was very positive. The road surface I tested on is smooth asphalt. The first 20 miles they felt great and compared to a new set of Black Magic another very good wheel I'd rather save the money for a set of race wheels and use the Mota for practice wheels. The Mota could be raced on if you're not inclined to spend the big money for wheels.

Temped to spend the money for the 125 TLTF as the last set of 110 TLTF I had was one the best wheels i'd ever felt.

One of our group just got a complete set of the Mota carbon boots, frame and 125 wheels, he's a very strong veteran skater and loves the skates. His comment was if you don't need custom boots the other MFG are pricing themselves out of the market.

You may have a different experience but so far Mota has delivered high quality off the shelf stock equipment at very good prices. Truly my first experience with high quality skate equipment with very competitive prices. Usually the lower cost equipment isn't worth the packaging it's sent in. My point is for those wanting to step into very good speed equipment on a small budget there are opportunities to do so without breaking the bank account.

I haven't put on the Atom Boom Magic, saving them for a race but I have high expectations, hopefully i'm not disappointed.

My test of the 125 Black Magic was confirmation these are quality wheels, they felt similar to the Mota. I'm still not convinced the 24mm are faster than the Matter 22mm for outdoor. I'd like to try a new set of the G13 125, my hunch is they would lay down some fast times.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 01:03 AM   #150
AZ Roadrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reely? View Post
Anyone skate TLTF 125s "outdoor" yet for at least a few weeks? Not interested in indoor reviews.

Thanks d
I have tried the TLTF XXF. I did a good test before a 42K and chose to use the Atom XXF Boom Magic over the TLTF 125. The race course was a little rough and the Atom felt much, much better on the road. The TLTF magnified all the bumps and didn't seem to roll as well. Glad I took two different sets, I threw the Atoms in at the last minute and thankful I did, they performed great.

The TLTF XXF feel OK on a very smooth road but not the road we had to race on.

My 2 cents.
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:47 PM   #151
reely?

Hello Jimmy, I really like the Momentum 125s so far.

Some feedback. For non banded wheels, the Momentum 125s are an excellent choice for those looming for a cost effective non race/training wheel.

1. Best value on the market at $80 a set.
2. Best overall quality per set of any 125s I've seen to date.
3. They look great.
4. The hub feels great, do not feel any flex.
5. All 6 wheels are true and balanced.
6. They roll well for the dollar.
7. Grip is very good considering they're very soft.
7. Profile feels very good, easy to control.
8. Bearings seat well and level in the hub.(what is the recommended spacer width .406"? ) .409" worked best for this set.

While they do not come close to race wheel performance, I'm a fan of the TLTF Momentum, mainly because of the overall quality and cost.

Please keep us posted on any new 125 race wheels be it in or outdoor.

Thanks d

Spring, TX.
reely? is offline   Reply With Quote