S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #21
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
I got China Reds (not too expensive) bearings one year ago and have been skating on them every week for a year now. I have never cleaned or oiled them. Are they too cheap to take apart, clean, oil etc.? I'm a mechanic dummy. I asked Chris at Skates Us about this a few weeks ago and he thought I should just up grade to new bearings. I'm not ready to do that. What say you guys? Should I take them apart and clean them after a year at the rink? They seem to spin well, but maybe it's long overdue...I don't know! Help!

Well cleaning and oiling definately won't hurt your bearings. I've had China Bones last over a year without cleaning and oiling. I wouldn't upgrade. As far as I know, China Bones are just Bones Swiss bearings made in China. I've skated both and can't tell the difference. I'd say just pop the shields off and check them. If the look clean just drop a few drops of oil in them. If they look like they got crap in them then give them a quick cleaning and lube.
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #22
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-48-CANS-C...2em118Q2el1247

I quit playing with "secret formulas" when I found this stuff. There is enough in a case to last till doomsday. I recollect it was about $12.00 a can at the rink. This is about $0.54 a can delivered....
Ive had good and bad experiences with this stuff. You remember giving me a can? . It was good for China Reds and BSB Swiss but not so good for my two sets of Fafnirs.... for some reason it always wanted to leak out of the Fafnirs and the roll wasnt smooth after applying... and that was after a good cleaning. I really havent found anything good to put in my 8-balls that stays in there and makes them smooth. Maybe some grease would be good?
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #23
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Lazy men (like me) use grease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
Ive had good and bad experiences with this stuff. You remember giving me a can? . It was good for China Reds and BSB Swiss but not so good for my two sets of Fafnirs....

Uh these weren't out of my "surplus bearing box" were they??

for some reason it always wanted to leak out of the Fafnirs and the roll wasnt smooth after applying... and that was after a good cleaning.

Odd, I have not had that problem....unless I get rowdy with the pump.

I really havent found anything good to put in my 8-balls that stays in there and makes them smooth. Maybe some grease would be good?
Find some Royal Purple NLGI #2 http://www.rpmoil.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6 It's about the best grease I have found so far...
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #24
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Find some Royal Purple NLGI #2 http://www.rpmoil.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6 It's about the best grease I have found so far...
Well one set was but since then ive cleaned them and not lubed them again...(there on the back burner) I may try some grease and dvw also recommended Tri-Flow

Set i got from you ... Fafnir 37k USA 7ball

Fafnir 37k 8ball - immacualte shape

A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #25
Tuesday Girl

OK, I managed to take the wheels off, pry the rubber shield off gently with a needle, and looked into the bearings. They looked really shiny and clean to me. If there was gunk in there, would it be really noticeable? Sorry if that sounds like a DUMB question, but I have nothing to compare it to. I've never done it before. I added a drop of sewing machine oil in there. I couldn't really tell if they spun any better or not, but I figured a drop of oil couldn't hurt after one year, could it? Thanks guys. When should I check them again?
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #26
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
OK, I managed to take the wheels off, pry the rubber shield off gently with a needle, and looked into the bearings. They looked really shiny and clean to me. If there was gunk in there, would it be really noticeable?

It depends on your level of clean and what kind of dirt is in there.

I used to run open GMN bearings with no shields. I would drop oil in them once a month or so. After a while, the excess oil and dust had formed an ugly fuzzball over the bearing. While appearing very dirty, the rolled super smooth.

Bearings with shields may look clean, but really be dirty. Sometimes, a little piece of dust or debris will really slow down (or lock up) a bearing.

The best method I have found for determining if bearings are dirty it to pull them out of the skates and give them a spin. Usually if my bearings are in question as to if they need cleaned or not, they probably do.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #27
likkwid
likkwid

I used to race R/C cars for a long time....

Trinity racing products makes this incredible oil for electric motor bearings
that has the needle tip on it from the factory....

most of those bearings would see rpm's as high as 37k.

higher than any skate bearing.

likkwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #28
likkwid
likkwid

I used to race R/C cars for a long time....

Trinity racing products makes this incredible oil for electric motor bearings
that has the needle tip on it from the factory....

most of those bearings would see rpm's as high as 37k.

higher than any skate bearing.

[URL="http://www.rcplanet.com/Trinity_Micro_Oiler_Oilites_p/tri4026.htm"/URL]
likkwid is offline   Reply With Quote