S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #1
artskater14
Senior Member
 
artskater14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: eastern region!!
Posts: 261
Default different skating types?

ok. so in the southern mid eastof pennsylvania, we consider advance or jamskating to be the pattern:
right
left
shuffle
but i have heard that there are different skating techniques like i guess shuffle skating, that later became what we call advance skating... i was wondering what different types of 'skating to the rythym' patterns there are, and what the actual patters are. thanks alot!!
__________________
ArTsKaTeR14
artskater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #2
shop4skates
Member
 
shop4skates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 45
Default

If you travel to other areas that is when it becomes more obvious that different regions have different styles.

I grew up in PA and where we skated, we called it "two step".

However I have been in the south and the almost exact same "shuffle" is called a lot of different things just depending on who you are talking to.

I think my husband calls it "shadow skating".

In jamskating circles, you would call it shuffle skating.
shop4skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #3
artskater14
Senior Member
 
artskater14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: eastern region!!
Posts: 261
Default haha...ish

ooo... i have no i dea what a jamskating circle is.
__________________
ArTsKaTeR14
artskater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #4
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply
 
A-Town Sk8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: A-Town, SC
Posts: 4,809
Thumbs up More "Bounce" to the Ounce - "Bounce",Rock,Skate,Roll ...

Where im from we call Shuffle Skating.... "Bounce Skating". Jamskating is a totally different style... even when most jammers "Bounce Skate" they go really slow putting together multiple tricks/turns/jumps/claps etc. Most of the Jamskaters ive seen only do tricks in the middle and arent well rounded at all... I dont do handstands or any move where my skates are off the ground but i do however do a good bit of Jamskating style footwork in the middle. I like alot of the things that center circle jamskaters do... but you dont have to be a good skater to do handstand moves IMO........
__________________
Owner / Operator
www.theultimateskatesupply.com
5% off orders over $200.00 "USS" coupon code
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Iggy
DGS Racing
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PITTSBURGH, PA
Posts: 3,398
Default

I skate in Donora, PA (Near Pittsburgh) and we call it Stryde skating. The center of the floor dancing (Footwork, Toe Jammin', etc.) we just call jamskating.
__________________
Skate Drama Free
"Ultimate V - Like a skate mullet." -dvw
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #6
oldfuddyduddy
Cheap Skate Club
 
oldfuddyduddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: pa
Posts: 68
Default

Anyone got videos of yourself getting funky?
oldfuddyduddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #7
shufflenut
CHEAP SKATES CLUB
 
shufflenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: "South Central" Pa
Posts: 629
Default castle

I know there will be a few guys gettin' funky at the castle tonight,come and check it out oldfuddyduddy.
__________________
Ultimate enthusiast, X speed skater
shufflenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #8
gemsm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Arnold, MD
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
Where im from we call Shuffle Skating.... "Bounce Skating". Jamskating is a totally different style... even when most jammers "Bounce Skate" they go really slow putting together multiple tricks/turns/jumps/claps etc. Most of the Jamskaters ive seen only do tricks in the middle and arent well rounded at all... I dont do handstands or any move where my skates are off the ground but i do however do a good bit of Jamskating style footwork in the middle. I like alot of the things that center circle jamskaters do... but you dont have to be a good skater to do handstand moves IMO........
I thought us Marylanders were the only ones that did the "BOUNCE"
gemsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:44 AM   #9
likkwid
likkwid
 
likkwid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 229
Default

What you are referring to is for the mast part, universally, known as "shuffling".

Where I grew up, (Lansing, Michigan) we called it "Advanced Skating".

I've heard It go by many names such as Trukkin', Shuffling, Bounce Skating, Bouncing, Funk Skating, Pattern Skating, Gliding, Shadow Skating, and Trick Skating. There are probably a few others that I know of, but those were all I could think of right off hand.




To Clear a few things up:

1.) Shuffling alone does not fully encompass jamskating.

2.) Jamskating as a whole consists of 3 key elements. Shuffling, Footwork, and groundwork.

3.) Soul/Rhythm/R&B/Soul Skating only encompasses 2 elements of Jamskating: Shuffling and Footwork. You rarely find these skaters doing Groundwork, and if you do it all looks too similar, whereas no two jamskaters do Groundwork alike.




I occasionally do groundwork, powermoves, and handstand variations, but that's just for fun, it IS Jamskating, NOT Handskating!!!
likkwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #10
diagetus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 354
Default

Likkwid -
Code:
 To Clear a few things up:

1.) Shuffling alone does not fully encompass jamskating.

2.) Jamskating as a whole consists of 3 key elements. Shuffling, Footwork, and groundwork.

3.) Soul/Rhythm/R&B/Soul Skating only encompasses 2 elements of Jamskating: Shuffling and Footwork. You rarely find these skaters doing Groundwork, and if you do it all looks too similar, whereas no two jamskaters do Groundwork alike.
It's been awhile since I've read the forum posts, but I thought this would be a good subject to participate in.

I've heard from both sides on this and I think Rhythm and Jam skaters both have good points...A Rhythm skater would look at those last 2 statements from a different angle though. It would be more along the lines of:

2. Rhythm skating incorporates all elements of skating into dance. Most Rhythm skaters accept the formal definition of skating which is something like: " to glide along on skates propelled by the alternate action of the legs"-Webster. Along with this is the added emphasis of rhythm or skating to the beat of the music. Jamskating often incorporates handwork into their footwork. To clarify, a Rhythm skater might argue that handwork or hand assists fall out of the realm of skating, so Jamskating is not simply another skating style.

3. In fact, a Rhythm skater would say that Jamskaters tend to look alike in their ground work. Ground work has a place in Rhythm and even handwork is tolerable, but not often pursued. It is more of a nonchalant attitude towards these things than a ban. The main focus is to skate in rhythm. Jamskating borrows from some skating aspects of Rhythm, but does not encompass it because of the various styles across the nation and their evolution (this includes skate makeup as well as maneuvers).

A Rhythm skater wouldn't see Rhythm skating as a subset of Jamskating. Rather, they would see Jamskating as an overlap with the sphere of Rhythm skating and a second overlap with break dancing. In the same fashion, a Rhythm skater can't present their style as encompassing figure skating, even though both areas work on spins, jumps, edges etc. Rhythm skating has overlap, it inherited moves from figures, but it does not really encompass figures.

Beware of the term ground work, because a Rhythm skater would see "ground work" as moves executed while being lower to the ground or grazing it. That means the knees or hips may touch or slide along the ground. For example, Chicago's JB skaters are known for splits that travel. It's only when you get into hand assisted moves like hand stands that I've noticed a divergence.
diagetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:07 AM   #11
likkwid
likkwid
 
likkwid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 229
Default

I lived in michigan my entire life up until last june. (25 years)

I'm not knocking jb style one bit. in fact, I tend to be more in touch with it than most jamskaters because of that.


soul skate '05, '06, '07

ice breakers '05, '06

sensational skaters inc. skate jam '06



and all those minor jb comps in detroit, flint, pontiac, grand rapids, etc....

My crew and I... only jamskaters in the building. every time, so i've seen a lot of jb skaters from a wide variety of places, I just said it's rare to see groundwork from them.
likkwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Tano
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12
Default Freestyle Rhythm Skating: Building on this Excellent Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by diagetus View Post
Likkwid -
Code:
 To Clear a few things up:

1.) Shuffling alone does not fully encompass jamskating.

2.) Jamskating as a whole consists of 3 key elements. Shuffling, Footwork, and groundwork.

3.) Soul/Rhythm/R&B/Soul Skating only encompasses 2 elements of Jamskating: Shuffling and Footwork. You rarely find these skaters doing Groundwork, and if you do it all looks too similar, whereas no two jamskaters do Groundwork alike.
It's been awhile since I've read the forum posts, but I thought this would be a good subject to participate in.

I've heard from both sides on this and I think Rhythm and Jam skaters both have good points...A Rhythm skater would look at those last 2 statements from a different angle though. It would be more along the lines of:

2. Rhythm skating incorporates all elements of skating into dance. Most Rhythm skaters accept the formal definition of skating which is something like: " to glide along on skates propelled by the alternate action of the legs"-Webster. Along with this is the added emphasis of rhythm or skating to the beat of the music. Jamskating often incorporates handwork into their footwork. To clarify, a Rhythm skater might argue that handwork or hand assists fall out of the realm of skating, so Jamskating is not simply another skating style.

3. In fact, a Rhythm skater would say that Jamskaters tend to look alike in their ground work. Ground work has a place in Rhythm and even handwork is tolerable, but not often pursued. It is more of a nonchalant attitude towards these things than a ban. The main focus is to skate in rhythm. Jamskating borrows from some skating aspects of Rhythm, but does not encompass it because of the various styles across the nation and their evolution (this includes skate makeup as well as maneuvers).

A Rhythm skater wouldn't see Rhythm skating as a subset of Jamskating. Rather, they would see Jamskating as an overlap with the sphere of Rhythm skating and a second overlap with break dancing. In the same fashion, a Rhythm skater can't present their style as encompassing figure skating, even though both areas work on spins, jumps, edges etc. Rhythm skating has overlap, it inherited moves from figures, but it does not really encompass figures.

Beware of the term ground work, because a Rhythm skater would see "ground work" as moves executed while being lower to the ground or grazing it. That means the knees or hips may touch or slide along the ground. For example, Chicago's JB skaters are known for splits that travel. It's only when you get into hand assisted moves like hand stands that I've noticed a divergence.
-------------------
Hi,
I am a new member and appreciate the opportunity to contribute to this thread.
diagetus - great clarification. The best I have found. It's what made me join.
As has been mentioned, different styles of skating have emerged across the continent over time. I'd like to offer my experience from south central Canada where the freestyle rhythm style, as you describe above, had developed a strong hardcore group of followers. Most have gone, along with half a dozen rinks but one or two hundred still ride the rolling wave.

The term used around here is Funk Skating. I have started saying freestyle rhythm Quad skating because the word Funk has so many different meanings that you're never sure your on the same page when talking to others about what makes good funk skating tunes and sessions. Only tunes that have meters and tempos that fall within a, more or less, defined range are naturally good rhythm tunes.

What you said about how freestyle rhythm skaters concentrate on syncing to the beat above all else is spot-on.
On your point 2. - I can verify your comments on no hands-down and how it is not in the realm of freestyle rhythm for those of us who love it. I need my hands and arms by my side, the better to join in with the rest of me, gesturing perfectly to the sweet bassy beat. There is no handwork by the pro's - it's all footwork with one foot while the other one glides. Shuffle implies a simple back and forth with each skate. I think glide is a more accurate description. There are a few skaters who do do shuffle here but I have never been to a rink in this area where most people shuffle. As I've seen it done, it seems to omit many other fun ways of moving.

Jamskaters, as you say, come to the rink with a totally different objective. They are trick-oriented and don't respect the beat. Without the beat, there is no magic.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_skating

Your right about how rhythm skating does not fit easily into any other category. Therefore, imo, it should be clearly identified as a separate subcategory of quad skating and there should be a permanent public record of it. I just happen to be working on that and your posting will help make it better. I look forward to yours and others future postings.

Regards,
Tano

Last edited by Tano; October 19th, 2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added link, corrected grammar.
Tano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #13
jammn'beck
JAMwdaBESTrBLADElikdaREST
 
jammn'beck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milwaukee, wi
Posts: 1,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
-------------------
Jamskaters, as you say, come to the rink with a totally different objective. They are trick-oriented and don't respect the beat. Without the beat, there is no magic.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_skating

Tano

well, I just had to chime in here......lol........
maybe crappy jamskaters don't respect the beat, and they're probably
YOUNG and naieve and just don't know the deal yet........
but I believe that TALENTED jamskaters view skating to the beat as
PARAMOUNT. Anyone knows that no matter what your style is called,
if you can't or don't do it to the beat of the music, it deffinately has
no quality whatsoever.
thank you and I approve this message........lol
__________________
"An anonymous call, a poison pen,
a brick in the small of the back again....
I just don't belong". ~ Morrissey
jammn'beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #14
Tano
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammn'beck View Post
well, I just had to chime in here......lol........
maybe crappy jamskaters don't respect the beat, and they're probably
YOUNG and naieve and just don't know the deal yet........
but I believe that TALENTED jamskaters view skating to the beat as
PARAMOUNT. Anyone knows that no matter what your style is called,
if you can't or don't do it to the beat of the music, it deffinately has
no quality whatsoever.
thank you and I approve this message........lol
I wish I had a chance to see some of these talented jamskaters. I just haven't been exposed to enough different rinks/skaters located across the land to confirm to myself that I have an accurate and fair impression.
Tano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #15
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: HELL(Lansing MI.)
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammn'beck View Post
well, I just had to chime in here......lol........
maybe crappy jamskaters don't respect the beat, and they're probably
YOUNG and naieve and just don't know the deal yet........
but I believe that TALENTED jamskaters view skating to the beat as
PARAMOUNT. Anyone knows that no matter what your style is called,
if you can't or don't do it to the beat of the music, it deffinately has
no quality whatsoever.
thank you and I approve this message........lol
+1

the thing you have to remember is that jam skating is still very new and with all new styles the urge to create something new and original can obscure the more traditional nuances that have become commonplace in older more refined styles.
Being an old breakdancer I thought the same thing at one time with the 2nd wave of new school breakdancers. it seemed to me that they lacked the basics looked awkward at all times, and totally disregarded the music, beat and even the basic time signature.
10 years later now 1,000's of them have found what they were striving for and have honed it to the perfection of a true art and they rarely EVER lose the beat.

give the kids some time and bless 'em for keeping skating alive!!!
without them we'd lose even more rinks than we are now
MY 2 pennies

I preffer to look for things that unite us rather than dividing. or as the french say "Vive La Differance!" (I'm SURE I spelled that wrong LOL)

ROLL ON
__________________
I need a new quote......quick, google me!!!!
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #16
Tano
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12
Default Reason for elaborating on differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
+1

the thing you have to remember is that jam skating is still very new and with all new styles the urge to create something new and original can obscure the more traditional nuances that have become commonplace in older more refined styles.
Being an old breakdancer I thought the same thing at one time with the 2nd wave of new school breakdancers. it seemed to me that they lacked the basics looked awkward at all times, and totally disregarded the music, beat and even the basic time signature.
10 years later now 1,000's of them have found what they were striving for and have honed it to the perfection of a true art and they rarely EVER lose the beat.

give the kids some time and bless 'em for keeping skating alive!!!
without them we'd lose even more rinks than we are now
MY 2 pennies

I preffer to look for things that unite us rather than dividing. or as the french say "Vive La Differance!" (I'm SURE I spelled that wrong LOL)

ROLL ON
banzai - thanks for the feedback.
Yes the rinks keep closing and few opening. Where will it all end? Is the day coming when there will be no roller rinks!?
Re your last comment and to clarify my intent in speaking about the differences between freestyle rhythm skating and jamskating. There is a specific reason why I am pursuing details and making comparisons.
I have not been able to find anywhere a proper faithful description of Quad Freestyle Rhythm Skating (if anyone knows of one then please chime-in). It is always being lumped-in with Rollerboogie or jamskating and I feel a duty to try and put together some kind of historical record and detailed reference of it's uniqueness, lest it be forgotten or become/remain unknown. This thread was started by a question about different skating types. A good example of why we need to have a Wikipedia-type reference that explains exactly what the characteristics of each are.
I want to say that I respect all the other variations of moving on wheels. We're all part of the same family, kissin cousins so to speak.
Never the less, Newtonian physics is expressed differently when moving down the floor with pace. The inertial and centrifugal forces that are generated at speed allow movement that is qualitatively distinct and is the key ingredient that produces the sensations that rhythm skaters will talk about when asked. Most never think about skating in such technical terms. They just know it's a thrill and a blast.
So this is why I am being so technical - some might say anal but no one else has described this stuff in depth so I feel compelled to attempt it.

Last edited by Tano; October 20th, 2008 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Tweak
Tano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #17
Chuckbest
Member
 
Chuckbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 97
Default

Ok..I want to break this down a little. I believe alot of people really confuse jam skating because of how "newer" jam skaters are viewed.

A little about me. I have Chuck Best from Orlando, FL. Ive been on skaters since I was 8 months old, a 3rd generation skater, original team riedell member, and president/founder of WSA. I have traveled the United States seeing all types of styles and learning alot about skating. Ive done art, speed, jam, hockey, and other styles of roller skating. I guess i can consider myself knowledgable about roller skating.

Shuffle skating is an ongoing skating movement to the beat of the music. Some styles of shuffle will stop but for a basic stop. Shuffle is considered is all styles of skating such as art, jam, and R&B skaters. The name is different within styles and areas around the world. Shuffle, truckin, shadow, rexing, and so on.

Jam Skating is not floorwork. I repeat....Jam Skating is not floorwork. You will rarely see me on the floor and I am considered a jam skater. Here is a little history lesson about jam skating:

Jam skating has been around for decades. You heard the name in competitions across the United states at local rinks. It was called other things as well such as socail skating, dance skating, rexing, ect. The style of skating came from your R&B/soul style skaters which is based from an artistic background.

Jam Skating was revived in the late 1990's from a group of jam skaters in Florida. (I just so happen to be one of those skaters) I was a shuffle skater that did a few things in the middle. A guy by the name of Chris G came from Gainesville, FL or Orlando, Fl. He was the oringinator of Jam Skate Association(jamskate.com) around 1998. That was when teams were made around Florida to travel and skate around rinks in the state. The moves we learned were your basica soul steps such as toe jamming, grapevine, and basic walk. There was no floorwork around this time.

the first jam skating competition was in fact a shuffle competition with no center work. That is why its really annoying to hear people say that jam skating is just center and floorwork. That is just were the sport turned which I will get to.

Shannon Anthony and Jessie nice from Indiana came to skate in florida around 2000. they met one of the guys, brian danninger, in Ft Myers Florida that was on the ft myers jam skate team. Brian brought shannon and jessie to Orlando for a Great Skate competition at Semoron skateway. that was one of the first jam skating competitions that I remember. Shannon and Jessie were shuffle skaters that did tricks. They did backflips, freezes, and alot of stunts.

The florida skaters then started putting floorwork and stunts into thier routines. I remember that is why I started working on breakin and other basic floorwork moves. The sport changed alot after 2000. A few competitions held by jamskate association (I was the event coordinator for jamskate at the time) were then organized shortly after. I hosted a break style batte competition a few months after and then a national event held by Meagan Boyce call the Sheabang Jam skating competition.

Shannon and Jessie from indiana were original members of the Kokomo 5 which then changed to Breaksk8. breaksk8 got involved with competeing in competitions known as Rock n Roll Skating Competitions. These were shuffle competitions with alot of flashy basic footwork. Rock n Roll skating is a mixture of shuffle, artistic, and r&b skating. There is not any floorwork in these competitins.

Rock n Roll skating was popular in Nc to Tx. Texas however called this style social skating. You can view these events held still today at socialskate.com.

How did the jam skating spread? 5 captains of the main JamSkate Association teams formed a sponsored team call Team Riedell. Jennifer Leslie, Darron Green, Chris G, Meagan Boyce, Derek Calkins, and myself, chuck best traveled to rinks teaching the moves and doing shows. Breaksk8 also did rink shows around this time as well. other teams then came around.

So now you ask, where did the breakdancing come from? This came from the competitions. There are two organizations. There is WSA which was founded by myself and then UJSTA which was founded by RJ Beebe from the Jammers.

WSA was formed because jamskate association was a group of teams that held competitions. I then gathered up some of the founders for a meeting to form WSA. We now host full floor competitions and battles with shuffle, full floor, teams, pairs, solo, R&b and any other freestyle style of skating.

where did the floorwork come in? The moves were made from different skaters trying to be better in competitions. The first floorwork that I can remember was your hexup. R&b, jam, and all types of styles do the basic floorwork. it just depends on the skater themself not the style. The breakdancing came around 2002 when certain skaters started putting break dancing moves into thier routines.

just rememeber that it does not matter what style of skating you do.

R&B, Soul, Rhythm, jam, JB, social, Rock N Roll, shuffle...These are all styles but depending on the skater the moves will vary. I have seen R&B skaters do better floorwork than most jam skaters and some jam skaters out shuffle anyone I have ever seen.

Stop trying to separate the styles because the styles were created by mixing each other. The originators of styles all were great skaters than had thier own creation of another. It is annoying to see jam skaters bash R&b or social skaters bash jam skaters. Who cares if you touch the floor or not, just creat the style that you want to create!

I skate R&B events all the time and consider myself pretty similar to that style. I love edges, turns, spins, and footowork variations. I dont touch the floor because I am not good at it. I see skaters thread like breakdancers all the time. I dont hate on it even though its not my style because I have an open mind. That skater is just trying to express himself through is skating style. Expression is exactly how all styles WERE created!
Chuckbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #18
Tano
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckbest View Post
Ok..I want to break this down a little. I believe alot of people really confuse jam skating because of how "newer" jam skaters are viewed.

A little about me. I have Chuck Best from Orlando, FL. Ive been on skaters since I was 8 months old, a 3rd generation skater, original team riedell member, and president/founder of WSA. I have traveled the United States seeing all types of styles and learning alot about skating. Ive done art, speed, jam, hockey, and other styles of roller skating. I guess i can consider myself knowledgable about roller skating.

Shuffle skating is an ongoing skating movement to the beat of the music. Some styles of shuffle will stop but for a basic stop. Shuffle is considered is all styles of skating such as art, jam, and R&B skaters. The name is different within styles and areas around the world. Shuffle, truckin, shadow, rexing, and so on.

Jam Skating is not floorwork. I repeat....Jam Skating is not floorwork. You will rarely see me on the floor and I am considered a jam skater. Here is a little history lesson about jam skating:

Jam skating has been around for decades. You heard the name in competitions across the United states at local rinks. It was called other things as well such as socail skating, dance skating, rexing, ect. The style of skating came from your R&B/soul style skaters which is based from an artistic background.

Jam Skating was revived in the late 1990's from a group of jam skaters in Florida. (I just so happen to be one of those skaters) I was a shuffle skater that did a few things in the middle. A guy by the name of Chris G came from Gainesville, FL or Orlando, Fl. He was the oringinator of Jam Skate Association(jamskate.com) around 1998. That was when teams were made around Florida to travel and skate around rinks in the state. The moves we learned were your basica soul steps such as toe jamming, grapevine, and basic walk. There was no floorwork around this time.

the first jam skating competition was in fact a shuffle competition with no center work. That is why its really annoying to hear people say that jam skating is just center and floorwork. That is just were the sport turned which I will get to.

Shannon Anthony and Jessie nice from Indiana came to skate in florida around 2000. they met one of the guys, brian danninger, in Ft Myers Florida that was on the ft myers jam skate team. Brian brought shannon and jessie to Orlando for a Great Skate competition at Semoron skateway. that was one of the first jam skating competitions that I remember. Shannon and Jessie were shuffle skaters that did tricks. They did backflips, freezes, and alot of stunts.

The florida skaters then started putting floorwork and stunts into thier routines. I remember that is why I started working on breakin and other basic floorwork moves. The sport changed alot after 2000. A few competitions held by jamskate association (I was the event coordinator for jamskate at the time) were then organized shortly after. I hosted a break style batte competition a few months after and then a national event held by Meagan Boyce call the Sheabang Jam skating competition.

Shannon and Jessie from indiana were original members of the Kokomo 5 which then changed to Breaksk8. breaksk8 got involved with competeing in competitions known as Rock n Roll Skating Competitions. These were shuffle competitions with alot of flashy basic footwork. Rock n Roll skating is a mixture of shuffle, artistic, and r&b skating. There is not any floorwork in these competitins.

Rock n Roll skating was popular in Nc to Tx. Texas however called this style social skating. You can view these events held still today at socialskate.com.

How did the jam skating spread? 5 captains of the main JamSkate Association teams formed a sponsored team call Team Riedell. Jennifer Leslie, Darron Green, Chris G, Meagan Boyce, Derek Calkins, and myself, chuck best traveled to rinks teaching the moves and doing shows. Breaksk8 also did rink shows around this time as well. other teams then came around.

So now you ask, where did the breakdancing come from? This came from the competitions. There are two organizations. There is WSA which was founded by myself and then UJSTA which was founded by RJ Beebe from the Jammers.

WSA was formed because jamskate association was a group of teams that held competitions. I then gathered up some of the founders for a meeting to form WSA. We now host full floor competitions and battles with shuffle, full floor, teams, pairs, solo, R&b and any other freestyle style of skating.

where did the floorwork come in? The moves were made from different skaters trying to be better in competitions. The first floorwork that I can remember was your hexup. R&b, jam, and all types of styles do the basic floorwork. it just depends on the skater themself not the style. The breakdancing came around 2002 when certain skaters started putting break dancing moves into thier routines.

just rememeber that it does not matter what style of skating you do.

R&B, Soul, Rhythm, jam, JB, social, Rock N Roll, shuffle...These are all styles but depending on the skater the moves will vary. I have seen R&B skaters do better floorwork than most jam skaters and some jam skaters out shuffle anyone I have ever seen.

Stop trying to separate the styles because the styles were created by mixing each other. The originators of styles all were great skaters than had thier own creation of another. It is annoying to see jam skaters bash R&b or social skaters bash jam skaters. Who cares if you touch the floor or not, just creat the style that you want to create!

I skate R&B events all the time and consider myself pretty similar to that style. I love edges, turns, spins, and footowork variations. I dont touch the floor because I am not good at it. I see skaters thread like breakdancers all the time. I dont hate on it even though its not my style because I have an open mind. That skater is just trying to express himself through is skating style. Expression is exactly how all styles WERE created!
Thank you so much for the detailed history. I appreciate knowing all these inside details from someone who made it happen and was/is there. You have made a great contribution to skating.
I to have an open mind and an inquiring one. I respectfully say again that I respect all forms of moving on wheels but the laws of physics are not my doing. Numbers are an objective metric to compare. Whether or not I like rhythm skating or jamskating has no effect on kinetic energy. I simply want to document the effects it creates with rhythm skating. It is a noble cause, a contribution to skating, in the same spirit as yours perhaps and no offense to others is intended.
Thanks again for sharing your valuable knowledge with us. I can see that you are just as passionate about skating as I am.
Regards,
Tano
Tano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #19
Tano
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12
Default Thank you Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
Thank you so much for the detailed history. I appreciate knowing all these inside details from someone who made it happen and was/is there. You have made a great contribution to skating.
I to have an open mind and an inquiring one. I respectfully say again that I respect all forms of moving on wheels but the laws of physics are not my doing. Numbers are an objective metric to compare. Whether or not I like rhythm skating or jamskating has no effect on kinetic energy. I simply want to document the effects it creates with rhythm skating. It is a noble cause, a contribution to skating, in the same spirit as yours perhaps and no offense to others is intended.
Thanks again for sharing your valuable knowledge with us. I can see that you are just as passionate about skating as I am.
Regards,
Tano
I've just gone through the Flea Hop thread and viewed the flea hop and skatejam shuffle videos (thank you youtube). Now I have a vastly clearer understanding of what these are. I have seen skaters doing these moves at many rinks in my area over the years (they stood out from everyone else) but I didn't know what I was seeing. Pardon my lack of knowledge as I had never even put on roller skates until I was past 30 and my experience is limited. Wish I had been born into a skate family and had roller skating in my life much sooner.
Freestyle Rhythm skating or Funk skating is on the same rollerskating continuum as Jamskating and shuffle skating. They are indeed kissin cousins and not that different. They are variations on a theme, is all. The inertial forces generated would be same for all. I can see that now.
I have learned more about rollerskating on this forum in the last week than a month of sundays. Glad I found it.
Tano
Tano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM   #20
Banzai
Unsafe at ANY speed
 
Banzai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: HELL(Lansing MI.)
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckbest View Post
Stop trying to separate the styles because the styles were created by mixing each other. The originators of styles all were great skaters than had thier own creation of another. It is annoying to see jam skaters bash R&b or social skaters bash jam skaters. Who cares if you touch the floor or not, just creat the style that you want to create!

Expression is exactly how all styles WERE created!
+2

and just for the record I learned how to break from trips to the Roxy in NYC and starting using windmills, headspins, flares, and freezes etc.etc. in competitions around 1983 and I wasn't the only one.
__________________
I need a new quote......quick, google me!!!!
Banzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.