S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 29th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #1
Tuesday Girl

Default My Mother & Son Wedding Dance on Roller Skates!!!

My oldest son sent me an e-mail a month ago saying he wanted to do our Mother Son Wedding Dance on roller skates to a disco song! He never comes to the rink with me and mostly grew up with in-lines as a kid.

Well, I chose K.C. & the Sunshine Band's "Boogie Shoes" because it's only 3 minutes long, and figured it would be a good song that would get people to the dance floor!

I choreographed a repetitive routine to the song because I was not sure how complicated I could make it, or how fast he'd learn it.

He only practiced 3 times with me and here it is! He was married this past week-end, May 23rd. While it's not perfect (I think I was more nervous than he was), I was happy and it was a crowd pleaser!
http://youtu.be/i5FTaprXCuI
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #2
larryoracing

Smile That was awesome! I want to skate with you...lol!

It looks like your son is a natural on skates. He is or would of made a great showman or dance skater.

Congratulations on a neat son and daughter-in-law and in life.

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Tuesday Girl

Larry, my son plays bass guitar in a local band. So he already is a performer, although...the quiet one! The band played at their wedding after party, he too, and his new wife even sang one of their songs up on stage. She is a hula hoop artist (teaches, makes them, sells them, performs, etc.) so there were hula hoops lying around on the dance floor for anyone to pick up. The following night she did fire hooping and fire poi for all of us with their eclectic musician & local circus, trapeze center friends playing a bagpipe, accordian, guitar, bongo, and singing around a camp fire to her and 4 other friends doing poi & hula. Very fun wedding week-end at a MN north shore resort.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #4
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Nice! Very refreshing and stressful all at once lol. Fancy and I are getting married "on skates" next weekend and we haven't had time to work on our "dance" but either way, after seeing this I canNOT wait until we do "something" out there. Thanks again for this video
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Tuesday Girl

Congratulations to you, and good luck! Obviously, when I'm at the rink I can skate much smoother when going with the flow of a song compared to a routine. I wasn't sure how many jam skate moves I could incorporate into the dance compared to just "stepping" it out. During the chorus, where we hold hands, that's the "side-stepping" step, and while he didn't really work out the weight transfer learning the step, he got it well enough! It would have been fun to do lots of other moves too, but we didn't have much time to get together to practice. You can be sure though, I was practicing in my living room, at the gym, at the rink....whenever! Hahaha...I'm a mess! I'll post the video of my living room practice!
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Fancy-Kerrigan

Very cool routine. It looks like you both got more into it as the song progressed. Bonus points for doing it in a conservative dress!

Avery and I will be getting married in 9 days and we haven't come up with a routine yet, but we have been shuffle skating together every chance we get for almost the past year. So, I am confident that we will look good doing just that....with a couple "fancy" moves thrown in for good measure. Stay tuned.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #7
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Very classy. One of the best things I've seen at a wedding. Congratulations!
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
It looks like you both got more into it as the song progressed.
Yes, we did. It's hard to strap on skates and come out "cold" without a warm-up. I practiced it that way every time, but of course, by the second or 3rd run-through, I would always loosen up so much more. That was my biggest worry....looking stiff and jagged. We walked across opposite areas of the room to the edges of the floor and the music started a little too soon, catching me off guard....my husband didn't get the very beginning either, missing my surprised start. It was a ton of pressure for sure! Luckily, the floor was softer than the hard terrazzo at a school we had been practicing on, so it made it a little easier coming out "cold".
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #9
Reserector
ameteur debunker

That is just cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Tuesday Girl

Default Practice session in my living room a month earlier!

Here's the first cut....so I could see what I was doing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXb_z8EicHA
Old May 29th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #11
Tuesday Girl

Default Matching Skate Boot Covers

One more thing...I made matching silver skate boot covers for us, which you can't really see in the wedding video.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...NAME=snapfish/
Old May 29th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #12
Fancy-Kerrigan

Awwww, how cute!
You made them? Wow, you got mad skills!
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #13
larryoracing

Smile Nice stuff. I really enjoyed it. Thankyou..Larry O

Well Tuesday girl it’s more than obvious that you are an entertainer, with a musical flare and a stroke of Genius for musical interpretation. Your son and daughter-in-law follow in your footsteps, literally…LOL!

I really liked your video:

Here's the first cut....so I could see what I was doing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXb_z8EicHA

Keep up the good work.

Larry O
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #14
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
Awwww, how cute!
You made them? Wow, you got mad skills!
Yes, I made them from a shirt I bought at the thrift store because it's cheaper than buying new fabric! Funny story (sort of, after I got over being mad) about how I got a good pattern for the boot covers. I bought a pair of black boot covers on e-bay. One night at the rink, a plump woman fell down and split the back of her tight black leggings, revealing about 4" of what appeared to be a bare butt, or thonged behind! I went up to her immediately and told her of her cracked exposure! We went to my skate box and I loaned her one of my black boot covers to "fill in the gap" of fabric, along with a handful of safety pins she got from the rink. She promised to return my boot cover the following week, to send it back with her boyfriend...who I didn't know either. OF COURSE, a good deed never goes unpunished. Never saw either of them again (boot cover was probably riddled with safety pin holes)....and now I only had one boot cover. Poo. I had made a pattern before, which wasn't the best, but now I had a real boot cover to work with. So I took the mateless boot cover apart and made a pattern out of it. Now I can make all kinds of boot covers out of all kinds of stretchy shirts from the thrift store! I made a new black pair out of a men's black Nike sport shirt! And the silver wedding covers...Hahahaha....
Old May 30th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #15
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I really liked your video::
Thanks Larry! It was really fun to work it out. I've never choreographed anything in my life, and I was pretty worried about it. Kinda silly, but we had fun with it. I like being the mom too, pushing the oriental rug and coffee table out of the way and skating on the nice hardwood floors in the living room without getting in trouble!
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Fancy-Kerrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
Yes, I made them from a shirt I bought at the thrift store because it's cheaper than buying new fabric! Funny story (sort of, after I got over being mad) about how I got a good pattern for the boot covers. I bought a pair of black boot covers on e-bay. One night at the rink, a plump woman fell down and split the back of her tight black leggings, revealing about 4" of what appeared to be a bare butt, or thonged behind! I went up to her immediately and told her of her cracked exposure! We went to my skate box and I loaned her one of my black boot covers to "fill in the gap" of fabric, along with a handful of safety pins she got from the rink. She promised to return my boot cover the following week, to send it back with her boyfriend...who I didn't know either. OF COURSE, a good deed never goes unpunished. Never saw either of them again (boot cover was probably riddled with safety pin holes)....and now I only had one boot cover. Poo. I had made a pattern before, which wasn't the best, but now I had a real boot cover to work with. So I took the mateless boot cover apart and made a pattern out of it. Now I can make all kinds of boot covers out of all kinds of stretchy shirts from the thrift store! I made a new black pair out of a men's black Nike sport shirt! And the silver wedding covers...Hahahaha....
What a great story. I don't know if I would have wanted that other boot cover back after it had covered a strangers assets You really made lemonade out of that lemon. Fantastic. Although, now you have my gears turning as to what I can take apart and make a pattern out of.
Old May 31st, 2014, 04:09 AM   #17
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Great Video Tuesday / AdLib

Great Tuesday,

First note after your note. Maybe back later..

I did notice he was trying to keep up with you and had that funny attempt at an Ara basque (which I always love skaters trying).

This is going to go down in their memories.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2WXNsqfe8
Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:17 AM   #18
larryoracing

Smile Just some tit bits of information...lol!

Tuesday Girl,

I have been trained as an "artistic" skater by heart, but I really just loved session skating. I would call it "rex-ing" when you dance to music.

I have been bored lately so I have been reading the skating dictionary...LOL!

And it gave three definitions for footwork, which I feel is the essence of Jam skating.

1) Primary: Footwork involving no turns.

2) Secondary: Foot work involving two foot turns.

3) Advanced: Foot work involving one foot turns.

I would say your dance could be classed as Secondary.

In Freestyle, which I feel Jam Skating would be a subset, you practice two foot turns into the last bronze test. Next tests are silver and finally gold...lol!

Larry O

P.S. What's my point. No point...lol! Thanks for the video. Most girls I don't like the way they Jam skate. I found one last night, that I enjoyed watching. Your the second girl I like watching. ...LOL! I think what it is, is personality. You have great personality...lol!
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:32 PM   #19
Tuesday Girl

Well thanks Larry! I have done 1 footed turns, when I was thinking I wish I could learn them a couple years ago and started messing around practicing them, but they are scary to me. I'm getting older and decided I don't need to be doing those! Hahaha...so I never learned them well enough to incorporate freely in session skating. They do look nice though, and I'm envious of those that can do them.

I just posted a few other videos in the quad section where the thread title is about no new You Tube skate videos. There you can see an old 2010 of me and my skate partner. I have a couple newer ones too, but we still kinda skate the same. Also, some synchronized (shuffle?) skating with some sisters that I skate with at the rink.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:28 AM   #20
larryoracing

Smile Tuesday Girl, I think I saw all our videos and they were great!

It's not so much the content, but it's the fact that you are doing it and enjoying it, which I like and draws me closer to you. I like anybody who enjoys skating.

You are one of the few people who I feel enjoys their skating. It shows and like you say it's what you live for. For me it something I yearn for everyday and every moment, but I might have to give it up.

Sometimes the things you want most in life are the things you have to give up! That's life and we must get use to it.

1) I went skating last thursday at the largest skating rink floor in Southern, California. Skate Depot in Cerritos, Ca. There were so many black people there, that the whole center of the rink people where just standing. There were so many people there that the aisles were packed 6 deep and the floor was literally packed.

People skated within inches of each other around the floor. I have never, ever in my whole life have seen that many people in a building, not to mention a roller skating building.

I wish you could of seen it.

The only time I have seen close to this many people was in the 70's in Bakersfield, Ca for the Regionals Artistic Skating contest. They had a session and everybody wanted to be on the floor. It was quite packed...LOL!

There were 5-6 people skating in a line around the outside perimeter. I knew I should not of tried this but I tried to follow them. You can't see in front of you because you are right behind the person in front and get just a little bit out of line and you will be clipped by skaters on your left. Remember there are litterally 100's of people skating round and round and fast.

Kind of like the freeways in Southern, Ca at rush hour. One mistake and there will be a massive pile up. I really felt it was my fault. I tried to follow the 6 and got a little wide to my left. Someone kicked my skate and we all fell down. I had about three people on top of me, but somehow I did not get hurt. I thought I would be crushed.

But I can really appreciate all your sisters shuffle skating in unison.

40 years ago, I use to do this in San Jose, Ca, but there were very few people on the floor. Something like your videos.

Keep up the good work!

Larry O

Last edited by larryoracing; June 3rd, 2014 at 10:29 AM.