S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 27th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #41
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

As for race and skating, without any "issues", looks like the black skating scene is taking a hit here in LA. World on Wheels closed. Now Skate Depot is going to close. Not to mention, it looks like the Savoy skate night at Moonlight is on the fritz again. Moonlight just passed out flyers for the first Sunday in May, I think, advertising a regular family skate night, with discounts. Sunday at Moonlight has long been a largely black crowd, with their own dj, and a music collection distinctively their own. Nice bunch of folks. But little music I like.

I think the one other rink with a jb rep is Chino. That is a ways out of the city. Probably an hour drive.
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #42
larryoracing

Smile rufusprime99 a little help please?

Why do you think these rinks are closing? They are making lots of money, have been in business a long time and some of those sessions are literally packed with skaters like sardines in a can. I enjoy those packed sessions as much as the nights that have less skaters.

Why do I like those packed sessions? It's the people. There are a lot of different personalities in skating and to me that is what it makes it interesting and enjoyable and fun. I enjoy watching them skate.

But I feel rinks should have a mix of people. A mix of skating programs. And when you specialize in just one segment of the population and one type of skating (sessions) and mix in violence, I can only guess local merchants don't like it and ask for the rink closure.

I came to the conclusion rink owners should purchase their own property and not lease. That way nobody can tell you what to do. I feel both world on wheels and skate depot could of bought property after 30 years of business if they wished, but they chose not to. And now they have been asked to leave/shut down their business. Lesson learned and hopefully we learn from this mistake.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:04 AM   #43
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Why do you think these rinks are closing?
Hey Larry. In each case, there is a particular reason. I can't remember the reason for WOW closing, there is a thread about this where you could probably find the reason, but it did not have anything to do with the rink performing terribly. It was, generally, a business decision. Skate Depot is a lease issue. The time I went, there were sheriffs' cars there in addition to a number of armed security guards. I was made to feel unwelcome there, and I never went back. (I am Hispanic)

Skateland in Whittier closed due to an odd circumstance: Somehow, the purchase of the property was never concluded. The owner was in the middle of a divorce. It is quite possible that this ambiguity was used to help the owner protect assets in the divorce. There was also a story about chemicals leaching to the ground from a neighboring lot. The rink was torn down, but the buildings on each side remain. The owner had other business interests. His mom ran the concession stand. He was dedicated to keeping the rink open. Then stuff happened.
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #44
larryoracing

Smile rufusprime99 thankyou for the updates.

Yeah, you are right. I remember reading about WoW. It was more or less a business decision. When I skated there 20 years ago, they did do the weapons search, but that didn't really bother me. I never encountered violence, but I only went there a few times. I did like the rink and the people (black) because I like to skate and I can skate against anybody. Lets face it skating is about competition and I like to show people what I can do. Other skaters want to show me what they can do. It is competition to me...lol! I like the challenge...Larry O

Please go back to Skate Depot. I suggest saturday nights from 10:30 PM -2:00 AM adult session. Not to crowded, but yes it is mainly black, but I did see a few more white people (qty 2), last night and since I'm asian, japanese I think I was the only asian/japanese person there, qty (1).

I have to admit when I go into any rink, maybe because I'm asian I get the feeling people are wondering what I am doing in their rink. Especially at Skate Depot, on thursday night, but it is literally packed. But now that I have gone to Skate Depot for over a month now, people are getting use to me. I think people are really amazed of what I can do on skates. I'm just getting warmed up..lol!. Please go back, do your thing and in time I think you will make friends. I think after 1 month there are many people who want to be my friends. I am so into skating and getting better, I haven't tried to make friends. I'm more interested in getting better as a skater.

Larry O and thank for the information. I appreciate you told me you were Hispanic. At work I have a lot of black friends and I know they want to skate again. One stopped me on the road the other day to show me his skates. Really???????? yes he did. I know if I keep skating all my friends at work are going to break down and start skating again. I have to keep skating and be the catalyst.
Old April 28th, 2014, 03:57 AM   #45
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I'm a little late on this but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
My point Sir is understanding. I asked a question about a comment he made so that I could, with better clarity, understand the comment he made.

When the topic of race comes up everyone becomes uncomfortable. And I didn't bring up that topic. I merely asked a question to someone who made a statement on the topic. And when I asked the question someone else assumed I was going to start some type of race war by asking a question. I mean now really?
I'm with sidewinder here cause its like this...

I call bull. The question about black buildings or black people? You freaking knew it wasn't about buildings. Don't act a fool, then come out with BS science theory. You just make a bad impression by claiming ignorance but showing intellect immediately following.... I do like most of your quesions in posts as they are for the majority, to "clarify" but this was beyond obvious.

The way you presented the word "sir"(which you seldom use on a regular post) in your replys to sidewinder only show your attitude to being pointed out as an antagonist while you claimed to be just "clarifying". You can claim that all day long however its apparent you knew by your further reprisals when called out about the obvious.

As for rink environments, I like the rink I usually skate at, theres about even mix of black, white, an mixed folks -rufus lol almost never a hispanic here bro . Of all the skating trips I have taken my best interactions haven't been with other Caucasians. I generally end up talking to dance skaters and thoroughly enjoy the company. I love diversity, its a beautiful thing, and I cannot get enough of the various rink environments. Be it hoodlums (Marrietta rink sidewinder? Lol theres some punks there!) and "white trash" rinks to middle of Detroit Mi. @ Northland rink(HUGE FLOOR!) Anywhere I go I love the culture immersion.

I think if a rink closes because of the crowd a businesses draws, not because it isnt successful, it just shows how far humanity needs to go before we can even call ourselves "human". That idea is something that I could have imagined happening 50-80 years ago, but not today. I do so hope its not true and just some conspiracy BS.

Larry, if you think your good you should come to EWNB2014. Lots of good skaters from many places. Make some videos even, see what youtube thinks
Old April 28th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #46
Edward Williams
Still Learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I'm a little late on this but...

I'm with sidewinder here cause its like this...

I call bull. The question about black buildings or black people? You freaking knew it wasn't about buildings. Don't act a fool, then come out with BS science theory. You just make a bad impression by claiming ignorance but showing intellect immediately following.... I do like most of your quesions in posts as they are for the majority, to "clarify" but this was beyond obvious.

The way you presented the word "sir"(which you seldom use on a regular post) in your replys to sidewinder only show your attitude to being pointed out as an antagonist while you claimed to be just "clarifying". You can claim that all day long however its apparent you knew by your further reprisals when called out about the obvious.

As for rink environments, I like the rink I usually skate at, theres about even mix of black, white, an mixed folks -rufus lol almost never a hispanic here bro . Of all the skating trips I have taken my best interactions haven't been with other Caucasians. I generally end up talking to dance skaters and thoroughly enjoy the company. I love diversity, its a beautiful thing, and I cannot get enough of the various rink environments. Be it hoodlums (Marrietta rink sidewinder? Lol theres some punks there!) and "white trash" rinks to middle of Detroit Mi. @ Northland rink(HUGE FLOOR!) Anywhere I go I love the culture immersion.

I think if a rink closes because of the crowd a businesses draws, not because it isnt successful, it just shows how far humanity needs to go before we can even call ourselves "human". That idea is something that I could have imagined happening 50-80 years ago, but not today. I do so hope its not true and just some conspiracy BS.

Larry, if you think your good you should come to EWNB2014. Lots of good skaters from many places. Make some videos even, see what youtube thinks
Thank you for your input Sir.
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #47
Sidewinder
UFO

Quote:
I love diversity, its a beautiful thing, and I cannot get enough of the various rink environments. Be it hoodlums (Marrietta rink sidewinder? Lol theres some punks there!) and "white trash" rinks to middle of Detroit Mi. @ Northland rink(HUGE FLOOR!) Anywhere I go I love the culture immersion.
Just cause it involves another close rink. Marietta is nothing but nice folks. Marietta College is close and you'd have to know the history of the valley here to understand it. I could probably teach a class on the plant environments and the population shift in the area. Most of Marietta is straight rural. Like people who own big tractors and sell corn. Other is kind of upper middle class, third group is Marietta college students. The diversity is low, but there is no mal-intent anywhere. Never seen a fight, never seen anyone get into it. Everyone kind of knows most everyone else, or at least understands where they come from. Good peeps. If there is a fault there, it might be lack of consideration of others. Like I said, no mal-intent.

If anything, we kind of have the hoodlems, that aren't really hoodlems. If there exists an issue with behavior is that most of South side is likely plant workers, upper middle class. (Dupont is closer to south side than north), but because of that shift work, the kids, usually boys (edit for clarification*, white boys), don't see a lot of their dad's. Like it makes enough of a difference that there is a shift in behavior because of it. Every bad thing that I've witnessed is a result of someone starting a chain of thought, like Here, watch this! And then the stupidity sets in. There's not much of it though. There's po-po for Fri/Sat sessions. Keeps the ruckus down pretty much.

I think Mort would understand most. It's similar to Huntington. It's typical WV for the most part. Coal and cancer country. Not the best place in the world, but it's home.

Last edited by Sidewinder; April 28th, 2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: clarify one sentence.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #48
larryoracing

Smile Hey Mort what would the boys of EWNB2014 think of my car?

Happy skating and thanks for the posts. Very informative.

Larry O
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:24 PM   #49
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

My wife's favorite rink so far is the Marrietta rink. Its a close one on my list too. Its so different from other places, and the pillars are fun to crank around. Funny thing is its able to have a derby track without pillar interference. The kids are a little wild but they're fun. The kind of trouble they get into is more or less horseplay no real fighting, a least when I was there.

Skateland of cambells creek was probably the worst rink I have been to, but the people were nice. I've seen 1 fight in all the session I went to so far, and it was here at my home rink. Lol I was the one that broke it up.

The Northland rink in Detroit visit was a Sunday afternoon so it wasnt hoppin. Wish I'd have gotten to skate with it packed.

I want to go to millennium in Camden NJ, if you search "fast backwards skating" their rink has videos, and Cascade in Atlanta Ga. Always heard about it from a couple friends.

Larry, thats a strange looking beast you got there! I see several horns on it, I presume a few air tanks? And is that even header wrap I see? That is one hell of an oddity.
Old April 28th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #50
GraySk8ter
75-not dead yet!

Default Car???

Looks more like a rolling auto parts store's inventory(lol)!

If you deck out your skates in a similar fashion, you will run up a gi-normous S.E.D.s bill.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #51
Sidewinder
UFO

Holy fark, that car spans the entire JC Whitney catalog I think.

Larry O,

Wtf do you do with it? You drive it on open streets? Like I can't get window tint past the DMV, how do they let you on the road with that much stuff. I....don't think you'd make it through Ohio - West to East without being impounded or arrested. They'd APB that thing first trooper that sees it.

Do you have any idea the amount of internet karma that car is worth?
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #52
larryoracing

Smile I try to avoid all cops and attention..LOL!

Well Sidewinder, I do have to admit when I registered the car it did not look like this so until they do a random inspection, which the DMV may never do I am safe.

1) The car is exempt. That means you don’t have to smog it. That means you don’t have to go to a smog station. That means you never take it anywhere to get smogged. Nobody of authority ever sees the car.

2) So what does that mean. That mean you pay your annual DMV fees and they send you the stickers and you drive the car.

3) In California, 500 exemptions are given out a year. Five years ago, nobody had any money so nobody applied for the smog exemptions. I did and they gave it to me gladly. Believe it or not the CHP, The DMV liked the car. I think they were car buffs and somewhat young. The Smog Station did not like the car, but since the CHP and DMV gave me approval they passed me with only needing a PCV valve for a 1923 automobile.

Mind you this car, had no seat belts, no horns and not even a rear view mirror when I took it through inspections. The DMV nor the CHP every asked me to demonstrate anything on the car.

When I bought the car the owner had only one stipulation, and that was to drive it. I have put 10,000 miles on it. I usually drive it on the freeways, to work and back. To the local grocery store, donut shop and gas station. I haven’t been driving it lately since I started skating again.

I will have to admit the car is dangerous, but you just try to be careful! Lol.

Larry, thats a strange looking beast you got there! I see several horns on it, I presume a few air tanks? And is that even header wrap I see? That is one hell of an oddity.

Yep Mort that is header wrap. I use it to cover everything up and give it sex appeal..lol!

Larry O, one friend said I had a lot of props on the car. He's right, but they all do something, even if it is only a little. The car believe it or not does not weigh much and has a V8 so it's pretty quick. That's what makes it dangerous and fun, just like skating...LOL!
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #53
Sidewinder
UFO

That's one helluva car man. Legal in Cali no less. Very impressive.

Welcome to the forum.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #54
larryoracing

Smile Thankyou Sidewinder. I will take that as a compliment.

I do have to admit, some true car guys at work do not like my car, but they don't say much. People who know nothing about cars love it. Its art work.

I will tell you, gang bangers, old, young, black, mexican, reigious people/jesus freaks all like the car. I have just about everything imaginable on the car. I have spent 5 years just decorating it. I personally like it or I wouldn't have done it. There is a purpose beleive it or not. I was trying something out in almost everything I did on the car, even if it was just for looks..LOL!

I'm kind of a free spirit and this is what happens with my cars. I have always been that way.

Larry O

And Happy skating to all! I mean that's what it is all about, right?
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #55
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

Larry O
I bet that is easy to work on. All the parts are exposed.
Old April 29th, 2014, 02:51 AM   #56
Machine

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
That's one helluva car man. Legal in Cali no less. Very impressive.

Welcome to the forum.
You'd be surprised on what you can make street legal in CA if you take the time to read through the CVC's/CHP/DMV information.

Hand me a stack of cash and I could make a backyard swingset street legal out here...
Old April 29th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #57
big-red

Nothing make me more welcoming and friendly than being told how narrow minded and unfriendly I am.
Gay Fawkes #511
big-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:13 PM   #58
Sidewinder
UFO

It's like a successful interpretation of the Family Guy episode

Peter, in Vietnam, in a clown suit: You guys are stupid. Their gonna be looking for army people.

It's like winning by unique philosophy instead of money or research.
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:48 PM   #59
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
My wife's favorite rink so far is the Marrietta rink. Its a close one on my list too. Its so different from other places, and the pillars are fun to crank around. Funny thing is its able to have a derby track without pillar interference. The kids are a little wild but they're fun. The kind of trouble they get into is more or less horseplay no real fighting, a least when I was there.
Are you by chance talking about the rink in Marietta, OH? In the fairgrounds?
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #60
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Are you by chance talking about the rink in Marietta, OH? In the fairgrounds?
Yes i think so, its on a 2nd floor. With pillars down the center. Once in a while those guys come to huntington to play hockey, or used to. It was freaking COLD when we went though, and pretty empty. Id love to be there Saturday, but Scottie has to work.

We skated there 2 nights in a row one weekend cuase I lacked quads for skate counrty. This weekend I'll be @ skate country though, Friday that is.