S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old August 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default Tell Us About Your Favorite Skating Trail

Everybody is invited to use this discussion to tell us about your favorite paved skating trail. Please include the country and region or city where the trail is located, and please spell out country/city/province/state names, so skaters from all over the world will be able to find your favorite trail. If you have any photos, we would love to see those also!

In another discussion I mentioned that the TrailLink.com Web site is one of the best places on the Internet to learn about paved skating trails in the United States. You can either search for all trails in a particular state (paved and unpaved) or you can search for all in-line skating trails in the United States. Searching by state is best, because otherwise you get too many search results. The descriptions for each trail indicate whether or not it is suitable for inline skating.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; August 12th, 2006 at 05:34 PM. Reason: changed title
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
janneman

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
about paved skating trails in the United States.
uhhh where is that?
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Janneman, I thought that link would be useful, but I would love to learn about similar resources for other parts of the world. Someplace I have a link for a similar Web Site in Belgium. Off to hunt for it...

- K
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #4
janneman

Default irony

Ah, kathie - don't you know me by now?
Never noticed that I *love* to point US citizens to the fact they only form less then 5% of the worlds population and the spot many people consider center of the universe is only less then 2% of the area called planet earth.... ?

Maybe even you do not notice, but there are numerous US-based websites, newsgroups, companies, .... that are solely targeted to this limited area - however pretending they serve everybody everywhere.

When filling out a form on the internotweb it happens quite a lot you can only choose a state in the us - and when you're lucky there is "other" . That "other" covering 98% of this planet - with many cewl skatingtracks
Old August 15th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Pepper Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Never noticed that I *love* to point US citizens to the fact they only form less then 5% of the worlds population and the spot many people consider center of the universe is only less then 2% of the area called planet earth.... ?
OMG! This reminds me of when I went to Epcot at Disney world! It was freaky because everything was so different. My mother in-law wouldn't/couldn't even eat any of the food. It was as if we were in a different country! It really opened my mind to the idea that not everyone is so fortunate to be from America.

Are you saying that 5% of the world's population is "crammed" onto just 2% of the earth's surface? Look out Mexico and Canada... seems that an "adjustment" of the borders is necessary.

Sorry for being so ridiculous... just playing!
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Maybe even you do not notice, but there are numerous US-based websites, newsgroups, companies, .... that are solely targeted to this limited area
Janneman, I have noticed that, and I have noticed that you have noticed it, so I hope you have also noticed that I try very hard not to be one of those sites.

For example, I try to add "U.S." when people post a thread title that only says National Championships, and I try to remember to add USD when I am talking about how much things cost, I try to mention provinces when I mention states, I expand on abbreviations or phrases in other people's titles that might not be understood by non-U.S. visitors, I ask our visitors not to worry too much about spelling in this forum because we have many international visitors, and I try to do anything else I can think of to make this forum and my other Web sites friendly to the international community.

I hope you don't think that because I linked to a very nice search engine for U.S. trails, that I assume all of our forum visitors are from my country, or that it means I only want to hear about trails in the U.S. I think (I hope!) you know me better then that. I love having so many international visitors in our forum, and I will do whatever I can to make all of them feel comfortable and welcome here.

- Kathie

PS: Now you are reminding me that I need to add a "Spelling and Grammer in this Forum" message to the "About This Forum" forum.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #7
janneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
It really opened my mind to the idea that not everyone is so unfortunate to be from America.
yes, you are so totally right there

Quote:
Are you saying that 5% of the world's population is "crammed" onto just 2% of the earth's surface? Look out Mexico and Canada... seems that an "adjustment" of the borders is necessary.
Did you ever noticed watching the globe there is pretty much blue coloured places? That is sea and ocean. Some of the clever people can turn that into living area!

Quote:
just playing!
Try me, smarta$$

and oh, back on topic; look at this!
Old October 31st, 2006, 02:00 PM   #8
KeLLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieFry View Post
Janneman, I thought that link would be useful, but I would love to learn about similar resources for other parts of the world. Someplace I have a link for a similar Web Site in Belgium. Off to hunt for it...

- K
Did you ever find the site for Belgium?

Best trail i found so far is the "Steenkaai" in Bruges. With limited traffic (sadly also not very well lighted)
On one side is a canal and the other is mainly aggriculture.

(not to bad for a city with 844 residents per square km / 1 km= 0.6213 miles)

Oh and after about 3km, there's a company with a very nice big smooth parking lot - and it goes downhill
KeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #9
Ice Ramps

Default Favorite place to skate

My all time favorite place to skate is Padova, Italy, well it's really more like three in one listed in order of precedence.
1. "Pratta Della Valle" A huge open area nicely paved, 1996 world cup site for inline speed, each lap is like 1km in length.

2.also nearby is a apx 500m track with slight bank on curves with two rinks in the center of the track. this is really close to above listed #1 like 1/2 mile or so away. it is the FIHP center for training in Padova.

3. "The Amusment Park" also in Padova though not as close as the other two its in a small town on the out skirts of Padova. It had comp trampalines, bowling, putt putt, various rides, pool hall/bar, and a outdoor skate park.

www.iceramps.com
Ice Ramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 11:07 PM   #10
lisanevin

Default favorite places to skate!

Montreal! They have a huge network of bike paths/skate paths all around the city right along side their streets. Go there during jazz fest and enjoy jazz music at night after skating all day. There is a barrier to prevent the cars from driving on the path! Kudos to Canada!
Old June 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #11
sk8scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanevin View Post
Montreal! They have a huge network of bike paths/skate paths all around the city right along side their streets. Go there during jazz fest and enjoy jazz music at night after skating all day. There is a barrier to prevent the cars from driving on the path! Kudos to Canada!
Sounds like I need to make use of my shiny new passport and go play there!

There are several nice bike paths "south of the border" here in the Burlington area, but the road skating can be limited in between them. I did find some nice, open side roads near Stowe today. Some rough pavement in spots, but nice hills and hardly any traffic.

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #12
SJEric

Default San Jose area

I love the Coyote Creek Trail in the summer. It's very varied with the added bonus of checking out the airfield for model airplanes along the way. Unfortunately, around August a section of it gets flooded and has to be skipped.
For shorter runs, the Almaden Lake Park/Los Alamitos trail is really nice.

I've been lucky enough to see deer and even a bobcat on the Coyote Creek Trail, and on the Almaden Lake Park Trail I regularly see bunnies and, one day, a gigantic tarantula slowly walking along the trail.

Both trails are easy enough for a beginner like me. I haven't felt confident enough to skate the Los Gatos Creek Trail yet, that's my goal for 2008.
SJEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #13
SJEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJEric View Post
I haven't felt confident enough to skate the Los Gatos Creek Trail yet, that's my goal for 2008.
I reached my goal, yai! The weather out here has been wonderful and this past Saturday I managed to do the whole Los Gatos Creek Trail, back and forth! That's about 16 miles. Wondering if I'm ready for 90mm wheels... These Crossfire 8.0 look mighty appealing.
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #14
SJEric

Default Update...

Well, the 90mm wheels skates came and went, and this year I moved on to Speedmachine 100s. They're awesome! Switching from 90 to 100 was very easy compared to the switch from 80 to 90. The 100s definitely make a huge difference when skating on uneven terrain or wood slat bridges.