S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 7th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #1
Sniff

Smile crossover practise

Does anyone have any drills they can recommend to improve my weak-side crossovers? I've been skating eight months and my strong-side crossovers are going great but I'm still like Bambi on ice on my weak side and it's incredibly frustrating! Any suggestions for drills - other than practise, practise, practise?! Thanks.
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 06:38 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Assuming you're on roller skates, back up a little, skate with all eight wheels down, drop you butt, almost even with your knees and get your legs apart, as you're moving forward cross your right skate over your left and move your left skate to the right back behind you and your right skate out in front of you to the left, then do the opposite, left skate in front to the right, right skate back and to the left, the more you drop your butt the more you can get your legs out from under you.
Guessing ou can do crossovers while skating anti-clock wise and struggle going clockwise.
So get comfortable doing the "crossovers with all eight wheels down", get comfortable dropping your butt, get your balance, five minutes the first time, it's strenuous the first time, practice it a few times- days, then, when you try a crossover, your body will be limber and used to the balance it takes to be in the position it needs to be in when you do a crossover, the difference is you're picking up a skate and crossing over, vs, keeping all eight wheels down, eventually you will do crossovers gaining speed with each step with each leg.
Watch a video of a hockey player crossing over, see how low the butt is.
Or if you can find one watch a video of a roller skate race, again, low butts.

If you have the room when first practicing do it in a figure eight, a small figure eight, after you get comfortable doing forward crossovers, go backwards and do it, start with all eight wheels down, drop the butt, and at first wrist guards are a good idea, forward or backwards.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2018, 06:48 PM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

In inline skating, there is a thing called the forever crossover. You cross L over R, then R over L over and over producing a serpentine, but generally straight forward direction of travel. This is what you are going to try and do. You need to CONCENTRATE. Pay intense attention to every little thing you do with your good side. How you lean, what your arms are doing, your shoulders, your hips, where you look. Try and notice every thing you do with your good side, and then try and copy it on your weak side. And then just do it. Back and forth until your weak side starts to get better. You may not make fast progress, but try and make SOME progress. You may also get brain ache as you continually try and improve your weak side. If you get this quickly, break up the drill. Do it for a bit, take a break. Then do a few more cycles of the drill and a break.
Old February 8th, 2018, 06:11 AM   #4
Oicusk82huh

I'm really bad at explaining things. I was going to recommends going clockwise around a circle, multiple times, first pushing out with your left leg, until you're able to cross it over. Repeat many times. But I love a good instructor, so here's Joe...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r4SKFXQzEzM
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:15 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Sniff , a couple questions here.

Do you skate at a rink, outdoors or both?

Can you skate backwards?

Presuming normal CCW direction in a rink, this is the same crossover motion as skating forwards in a clockwise direction.

This is why so many skaters will be able to learn to skate backwards when a rink DJ changes the skater to opposite direction(clockwise skating) because the crossover motion is the same, right foot over left.

When skating for your weak side(again presuming a right turn crossover) remember to pull your right arm and shoulder back a little , and push your left shoulder forward. Essentially you are turning your chest to the direction you wish to go. Experiment with the amount of turn in you use, and the amount of forward lean. The more you turn your torso, the more forward lean you'll need.

WHY this works...
When you lift your outside foot(the foot you cross over with) your hip will turn to meet up/align with your shoulder, and with some practice, this will give a better angle as you place your foot down on the floor.

Here's a couple off skates tips.

Walk up stairs sideways. You put your left side/shoulder forward for standard rink direction, or a right over left(turning left) practice. To do the other side just put your right shoulder forward instead. This will give you a left over right stepping motion. Which imitates clockwise direction skating at the right, or a right turn.

Learn karaoke stepping. You basically run sideways. When you run to the right side your left foot will cross in front of your right, then on the next step of the left foot, you step behind. Both strides with the left foot should attempt to cross past the center of your body. When running to the left you cross the right foot, alternating the step again, 1 in front, 1 behind. Once you have the motion down pretty well, try it on skates.

Edit.

Just watched some karaokevids and the twisting they do is not essential. It's the lateral stepping you're after. Another similar step is "grapevine".

Not to be confused with "grapevine" on skates, which is a front axle move that involves continuous transitions back and forth.

Last edited by Mort; February 9th, 2018 at 04:56 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:53 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
I'm really bad at explaining things. I was going to recommends going clockwise around a circle, multiple times, first pushing out with your left leg, until you're able to cross it over. Repeat many times. But I love a good instructor, so here's Joe...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r4SKFXQzEzM
Yeah, doing it in a circle is the grand daddy of all methods. But it is INTENSE. Huh? TRY IT. You'll see. Few people I tell to go put some work in in the circle stay with it long. That is why I floated a somewhat easier method.
Old February 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM   #7
darthblader

Wow, those are some really good tips, guys! Iím gonna try some of these myself, as my CW crossovers have gotten a bit rusty over the years.
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #8
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Does anyone have any drills they can recommend to improve my weak-side crossovers? I've been skating eight months and my strong-side crossovers are going great but I'm still like Bambi on ice on my weak side and it's incredibly frustrating! Any suggestions for drills - other than practise, practise, practise?! Thanks.
Are you in the rink? If so and the floor has somewhat light traffic. Go around in a peanut shape. Going in to the center instad of skating the straights. You need to get tighter than this eventually but itís a good start.

Last edited by Derrick; February 10th, 2018 at 07:55 PM.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Dekindy

Scooter pushes is the basic first step toward learning crossovers.

You also have to be confident in your left inside edge, being able to initiate and control. Inside edges are easier to initiate but more difficult control, whereas outside edges are more difficult to initiate but easier to control.
Practice both a lot. Remember, on a crossover you are going from an outside edge on your direction foot to an inside edge on your crossover foot.

Skating backwards and backward crossovers helps with balance and coordination.

Just keep working, it takes a very long time. I have been emphasizing both sides in my training. When my instructor started me on crosspulls I was going to continue this philosophy. He has been skating for 40 years and has won numerous national amateur skating competitions. He says he cannot do a clockwise crosspull and admires me for even trying. Counterclockwise crosspulls are not coming easily and clockwise is not even close so will see on that one.

It is ironic as one of the previous commentors stated a counterclockwise backward crossover should be easier than clockwise but I am the opposite so go figure.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 03:25 PM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
It is ironic as one of the previous commentors stated a counterclockwise backward crossover should be easier than clockwise but I am the opposite so go figure.
This is because the normal skating direction is counter clockwise. That being the case, one gets used to leaning left when going forward, or leaning right when going backwards. Because you lean more often in those directions, the crossover foward or back is easier because you are ALREADY accustomed with leaning that way. Leaning the opposite way is used less. But individual preferences can override that. The same is true with transitions. One is more likely to do a counter clockwise transition due to being more accustomed to skating counter clockwise. But some prefer a clockwise transition. I remember for years, certain people would request a song or two in the clockwise direction so they could skate backwards. You'd never see them go backwards in the regular direction because they could not turn that way.
Old February 10th, 2018, 03:44 PM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthblader View Post
Wow, those are some really good tips, guys! Iím gonna try some of these myself, as my CW crossovers have gotten a bit rusty over the years.
I have let my clockwise transition get weak. My CC transition is da sh*t. CW is for sh*t. Practicing suuuuuucks. Makes me, a very good skater, feel like a beginner again.
Old February 10th, 2018, 04:46 PM   #12
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
This is because the normal skating direction is counter clockwise. That being the case, one gets used to leaning left when going forward, or leaning right when going backwards. Because you lean more often in those directions, the crossover foward or back is easier because you are ALREADY accustomed with leaning that way. Leaning the opposite way is used less. But individual preferences can override that. The same is true with transitions. One is more likely to do a counter clockwise transition due to being more accustomed to skating counter clockwise. But some prefer a clockwise transition. I remember for years, certain people would request a song or two in the clockwise direction so they could skate backwards. You'd never see them go backwards in the regular direction because they could not turn that way.
Yea, the lean and stepping is the same when going forwards in the CCW direction and going backwards in the CW direction. Well, unless you do the wacky backwards crossovers like these..
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000401564970

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I have let my clockwise transition get weak. My CC transition is da sh*t. CW is for sh*t. Practicing suuuuuucks. Makes me, a very good skater, feel like a beginner again.

Ya gotta get the forward to backwards transition and combine it with continuous backward crossovers down buddy. Really useful in a turn, not only can ya drift around someone, but accelerate the entire time. For regular rink direction, you use the CCW transition. In opposite direction you use the CW transition. You can litterally go from a normal forward crossover , over rotate your shoulders and do the transition while never missing a stride. With a little practice, it's easy, and if you skate with a few buddies who like to play follow the leader: including switching to backwards when you do: you can put about 20 feet on them if they have to hop around to make the change or don't know the move.

I'll try to remember to make a video
Old February 10th, 2018, 06:03 PM   #13
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Ya gotta get the forward to backwards transition and combine it with continuous backward crossovers down buddy. Really useful in a turn, not only can ya drift around someone, but accelerate the entire time. For regular rink direction, you use the CCW transition. In opposite direction you use the CW transition. You can litterally go from a normal forward crossover , over rotate your shoulders and do the transition while never missing a stride. With a little practice, it's easy, and if you skate with a few buddies who like to play follow the leader: including switching to backwards when you do: you can put about 20 feet on them if they have to hop around to make the change or don't know the move.
I hadn't thought about my transitions for probably 4 years. My style of skating also changed about that time. Instead of 95% backwards, it is more like 60-70% backwards, with several transitions per lap. Even when I transitioned CW more often, it was not like CCW. I broke thing down last Wednesday, and unfortunately discovered that CCW, I have a dominant leg starting point. It can be pretty hard to get a non-dominant leg to act like the dominant one. Plus the added problem that my left ankle, non-dominant, is bad.

One transition I just kind of picked up along the way is a right heel left toe transition. Like you'd do in a spin. Due to my massive comfort level with CCW, it just popped up. I might try and make that my go to CW transition. It is not dominant leg based. It is coordinated foot movement, combined with a rightly timed body rotation. The mind set of this transition is, body, rotate NOW...... and feet, you'd better do your thing, or we are going down. LOL But, yeah. I don't think I will be able to do things CW the way I do them CCW. Non dominant leg with a bad ankle kicker. I was able to do this, slowly Wednesday. R foot starts out forward, L back, then as you move to swap the foot position, rotate the body and heel and toe. I can actually do this quite elegantly CCW. The problem now is, the body does not "know" that rotation CW the way it does CCW.
Old February 10th, 2018, 08:17 PM   #14
Derrick

Back to thread origins. Itís tough to say, Ēother than paractice, practice, practiceĒ. Thereís helps but no substitue for it. Whether itís crossovers, crosspulls, transitions, forward, backward, CW or CCW. Learn them all (slowly, over time of course)one and practice each of them every session.

The more elements you know the more fun it is.
Old February 11th, 2018, 02:38 AM   #15
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Agreed, when trying new stuff it's just practice. Usually lots of it.

The best advice I can give is be analytical about your strong side, and break down the move into like 6 or 7 steps. Then begin to add them together on the weak side, with a focus on being smooth. Speed is irrelevant. Many times going back and forth from strong to weak sides, , you'll get a better perspective on what you AREN'T doing. For me it was right side hockey stops that I had to do this with, but I never had a problem doing left or right sided backwards hockey stops, go figure.

Speed is a product of being smooth and dumping power into a move.
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:21 PM   #16
Sniff

Default useless arm

Thanks guys - all really sound advice and support, and much appreciated. I prefer to skate outdoors but here in wet Wales rinks have been the only option the last couple of months. I started skating in June so this has been my first winter as a skater.

I've been concentrating really hard on what I'm doing right when I do crossovers on my strong side (anti/counterclockwise) and what I'm then NOT doing when I go clockwise. I think the biggest problem isn't my feet but might be my left arm, which flaps about uselessly instead of giving balance and propulsion like my right arm does when I'm going the other way. This inhibits balance and causes me to lose confidence in my feet. I'm working hard on it - it will happen!

Everything posted about backwards crossovers I've found to be true - going the opposite way is easier because the lean corresponds with the forwards strong side. My backwards crossovers are in the seriously early stages! Early days as a skater, but I'm basically loving all the challenges.

Thanks all.

'The more elements you know the more fun it is.' - Derrick, you're so right!
Sniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 11:31 AM   #17
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Tuck your right elbowback and to your side, blade ypur left arm like a sprinter would and let it swing as if running. Keeping your chest turned toward the center of the rink during turns.

Your left arm can pump, but don't let it cross your centerline. It's a pumping motion, not hook punches newer skaters tend to throw hooks with their arms.

I once heard someone say a coach used to tape straws to the speed team kid's noses while they were learning basic form. So they had a visual line to reference if their arm was comming too far across their torsos, or if they were turning their head too much and not their torso, their straws would point t theo shoulder instead of to their sternum.

Make it as smooth as possible and try to pay attention to the speed you get for the input you used. Paying attention to that is hard at first, but with some practice you'll start to feel a good stride and dial in on it by making small adjustments.

Good luck!
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:44 PM   #18
Derrick

Quote:
Thanks guys - all really sound advice and support, and much appreciated. I prefer to skate outdoors but here in wet Wales rinks have been the only option the last couple of months. I started skating in June so this has been my first winter as a skater.

I've been concentrating really hard on what I'm doing right when I do crossovers on my strong side (anti/counterclockwise) and what I'm then NOT doing when I go clockwise. I think the biggest problem isn't my feet but might be my left arm, which flaps about uselessly instead of giving balance and propulsion like my right arm does when I'm going the other way. This inhibits balance and causes me to lose confidence in my feet. I'm working hard on it - it will happen!

Everything posted about backwards crossovers I've found to be true - going the opposite way is easier because the lean corresponds with the forwards strong side. My backwards crossovers are in the seriously early stages! Early days as a skater, but I'm basically loving all the challenges.

Thanks all.

Morts the expert in form, but do take control of a flailing arm. I had the same issue with spins for a long time. It took me way to long to add tension and control of the motion of my arms. Also, (you can read my old postsj I used to feel compelled to put my arms in front if me like a t-rex when moonwalking. It’s normal to look weird when trying something new. I think a lot of people get stuck there (afraid to look stupid) and that is really limiting. But do take control of that flailing arm. Put tenision in it and make it behave.
Old February 17th, 2018, 01:45 PM   #19
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:

Thanks all.
So, are you still standing up straight like a stick figure or have you dropped your butt and are now getting your leggs out from under you?
I suggest learning crossovers going slowly, it's much harder going slowly, your balance really matters, going fast you've got different forces moving you, inertia, centrifical, etc.
Try skating when in a low position with your hands behind your back, just like speed skaters do, and again, watch videos of speed skaters, they skate in the speed position because it's most effiecient, and fastest, and, again, doing it in slow motion will give excellent balance and muscle memory, doing advanced drills as a beginner, well, they are called advanced skills for a reason, start on square one.
Yes a discussion of hand placement is good.....when you can go full speed while crossing over, actually, you will have already figured out where your hands belong at full speed, watch a video.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 04:42 PM   #20
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Also, (you can read my old postsj I used to feel compelled to put my arms in front if me like a t-rex when moonwalking.
And you STOPPED???

You shoulda left them out there and renamed the move the Zombie!