S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 30th, 2018, 08:04 PM   #1
Abyss

Default Interceptor V-Drive

So in rebuilding my old skates as mentioned in a dif thread i grabbed some teal ish soft interceptor V-drives (and am in love with em) but did so foolishly w/out shopping much or reading reviews. After hindsight kicked in i really saw only bad reviews but after skating them cant really see any downsides?
Im curious as to what ya’ll think of them?
I guess i do whats called “jam skating”??? Back in the day where im from it was called toe-jamming so im not sure but basically grip and asthetics are what matters. Speed is irrelevant and i like em even more then my old red wicked lips i had in my prime. To me
The deep grooves are great looking as well as the polished hub, the bearings slide in/out great, they seem to be glued to the floor reliably...... just not seeing the downsides and wanna get ya’ll in on some opinions and suggestions of other similarly styled wheels i should look into nextime.
Thanks

Last edited by Abyss; January 30th, 2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 01:14 AM   #2
dvw
Secretary of Skate

For you, they're probably just fine. If you're largely stationary, you likely want a soft wheel that stays where you put it. They're a well made wheel and the urethane is good, but those goofy V grooves make them skate a lot softer than they are.

The V serves one purpose: marketing.
Old January 31st, 2018, 01:24 AM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
For you, they're probably just fine. If you're largely stationary, you likely want a soft wheel that stays where you put it. They're a well made wheel and the urethane is good, but those goofy V grooves make them skate a lot softer than they are.

I saw Docs cutaway of those wheels, love the width of the hub.
Old January 31st, 2018, 01:26 AM   #4
Abyss

Talking

Quote:

Yea i was really hopeing those grooves would make em feel even softer then the advertised 93a. More squishy = more grip or so it was back when i used to skate and why i loved my WL’s. I skate to the beat in the outer circle as well of course but still its more about grip and precision and speed is a non-factor as im spinning and changing movements and direction and of course NOT running over ppl hahaha
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 03:24 AM   #5
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I saw Docs cutaway of those wheels, love the width of the hub.
Just found the cutaways u me tioned in the show ur lips thread.
Old January 31st, 2018, 10:48 PM   #6
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I had a set of the green V's and loved the way they rolled and gripped BUT the only issue I had with them was the thane separating from the hub. Hopefully you won't that prob as they are a really great wheel.
Old February 1st, 2018, 03:19 AM   #7
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
I had a set of the green V's and loved the way they rolled and gripped BUT the only issue I had with them was the thane separating from the hub. Hopefully you won't that prob as they are a really great wheel.
Man that’d be BAD.
Let me ask this about ur greens.... thats my fav color but they are 97a. I went with the blue/teal color cause they were listed as “soft” at 93a. So were your greens pretty squishy? I am a fan of really “squishy” ones for extra grip as i found with my old red lips, once the tread is gone, squishy wheels will still geip pretty well so they get more life span imo. I really wanted the green ones but feared they’d be too hard and on e the tread wore down they’d be slippery. Only skate wood floors if that helps?
Old February 1st, 2018, 02:44 PM   #8
hoohoorjoo

Default Hard wheels on wood floor

I skate 97 White Shamans, 98 Scott's Phantom Wides and my daughter skates 98 Green Zombies. We skate a wood floor and have no problems with grip, though I can force them to break loose in a short hockey stop. Even then, they all grab again quickly. Of course, our floor is kept relatively clean and I clean my wheels often, too. Soft wheels on a wood floor are great if you want a workout, because you usually have to push harder and more often to maintain roll. I like grip, but I also like to rip off a few speed laps now and then, and I personally don't like my wheels to feel like I'm skating in mud. As for grip when the treads wear off, I just have them re-grooved.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 04:40 PM   #9
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
I skate 97 White Shamans, 98 Scott's Phantom Wides and my daughter skates 98 Green Zombies. We skate a wood floor and have no problems with grip, though I can force them to break loose in a short hockey stop. Even then, they all grab again quickly. Of course, our floor is kept relatively clean and I clean my wheels often, too. Soft wheels on a wood floor are great if you want a workout, because you usually have to push harder and more often to maintain roll. I like grip, but I also like to rip off a few speed laps now and then, and I personally don't like my wheels to feel like I'm skating in mud. As for grip when the treads wear off, I just have them re-grooved.
Copy that. I dont find (in my past skating experience) that theres any noticeable dif between soft and hard wheels as far as speed but there a HUGE dif i have noticed in grip. Perhaps i havent noticed any dif in speed due to never wanting/needing to try an go really fast? Maybe good bearings plays a significant factor in making my soft wheels plenty fast?
Old February 1st, 2018, 06:36 PM   #10
hoohoorjoo

Default one disclaimer.....

Your Interceptors are 93A, so Im not calling them soft. By soft, I mean anything below 90A. Harder urethane rolls better and grips less than soft urethane, that has been established long ago. But there are so many other variables, it still comes down to what works for you on the floor you skate most often. My Phantoms grip like crazy on the wooden floor I skate now. But they were a little slippery on the coated concrete floor at the rink I grew up at and visited recently.
As for bearings, I dont think there a nickel's worth of difference between them performance-wise, provided they are clean and lubed correctly. But I do believe that cheap bearings wear
quicker than more expensive ones.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2018, 11:52 PM   #11
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
Your Interceptors are 93A, so Im not calling them soft. By soft, I mean anything below 90A. Harder urethane rolls better and grips less than soft urethane, that has been established long ago. But there are so many other variables, it still comes down to what works for you on the floor you skate most often. My Phantoms grip like crazy on the wooden floor I skate now. But they were a little slippery on the coated concrete floor at the rink I grew up at and visited recently.
As for bearings, I dont think there a nickel's worth of difference between them performance-wise, provided they are clean and lubed correctly. But I do believe that cheap bearings wear
quicker than more expensive ones.
I guess for clarity, by “soft” i mean compared to the stock carrera wheels that came on my original
Carreras like 20 yrs ago (give or take). The only other wheels i have ever skated are a set of used red lips that r trash but i still have and these new v-drives which feel much softer then the lips were when they were given to me so to me these 93a wheels r really soft. If they arent soft by todays standards, what wheels of the same style can i get thats softer? I like the polished hubs but color is negotiable though
Thnx!
Old February 4th, 2018, 01:57 AM   #12
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Man that’d be BAD.
Let me ask this about ur greens.... thats my fav color but they are 97a. I went with the blue/teal color cause they were listed as “soft” at 93a. So were your greens pretty squishy? I am a fan of really “squishy” ones for extra grip as i found with my old red lips, once the tread is gone, squishy wheels will still geip pretty well so they get more life span imo. I really wanted the green ones but feared they’d be too hard and on e the tread wore down they’d be slippery. Only skate wood floors if that helps?
Didn't measure them BUT they were hard. Not squishy one bit lol
Old February 4th, 2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Didn't measure them BUT they were hard. Not squishy one bit lol
Copy that. I wonder why u cant get whatever color u want in whatever hardness/softest u want? I have to believe they color dye has nothing to do with it and i also have to believe that more ppl would be “more loose” with their wallets if they werent color restricted when selecting wheels
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #14
fierocious1

Quote:
Copy that. I wonder why u cant get whatever color u want in whatever hardness/softest u want? I have to believe they color dye has nothing to do with it and i also have to believe that more ppl would be “more loose” with their wallets if they werent color restricted when selecting wheels
That would lead to hardness identification issues. If you want custom colors it can be done but not with "production line" wheels. Also, color pigment is an impurity, a contaminant and not necessary for the urethane in the wheel. Probably why I like White Shamans so much, no contaminants in natural white.
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:52 PM   #15
larryoracing

Smile I found this post in the Beginner's Forum.

How to color dye your wheels. The post is 7 years old, but I thought some people might be interested. I know one lady at the rink has started dyeing her wheels. I think she starts off with white wheels, Bone Elite and one other white wheel from Bones. I also thought she said the grip was lessened a little bit, but if you read the post and ask questions I'm sure somebody could help you color dye a wheel(s) to a color you want.

Here' the link:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16991

Sincerely,

Larry O and have a great day!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2018, 07:42 PM   #16
73watermutt
I skate in circles

Years ago my wife had a few sets of the v drives and about half of them started to separate from the hubs after a few months of use.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:53 AM   #17
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
Years ago my wife had a few sets of the v drives and about half of them started to separate from the hubs after a few months of use.
Dang..... 50% failure rate aint very good........ hope mine fall on the positive side of the 50% lol
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:18 PM   #18
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
How to color dye your wheels. The post is 7 years old, but I thought some people might be interested. I know one lady at the rink has started dyeing her wheels. I think she starts off with white wheels, Bone Elite and one other white wheel from Bones. I also thought she said the grip was lessened a little bit, but if you read the post and ask questions I'm sure somebody could help you color dye a wheel(s) to a color you want.

Here' the link:

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16991

Sincerely,

Larry O and have a great day!
Ah very cool though it doesnt sound like ppl get good results unless they are dying black. Cool idea none the less tho
Old February 11th, 2018, 04:08 PM   #19
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
The dye absolutely has something to do with it. All wheels start as a pure urethane compound. Color additives are modifiers because they must displace urethane to create the color. The characteristics of the particular pigments determine what affect they have on the urethane. Some urethane compounds take color better than others.
Old February 11th, 2018, 05:44 PM   #20
Abyss

Quote:
The dye absolutely has something to do with it. All wheels start as a pure urethane compound. Color additives are modifiers because they must displace urethane to create the color. The characteristics of the particular pigments determine what affect they have on the urethane. Some urethane compounds take color better than others.
For Sure but thats not what i meant, i just meant that basically dif brands produce dif colors in dif harnesses. If company A can make “soft” wheels in green and blue in “hard” as their only color options for a particular style wheel, and company B can make a “hard” wheel in green and a “soft” wheel in blue then logic says any color can be used for any hardness. Thus, i was saying i dont understand why u cant just order whatever color u want in whatever hardness on whatever hub style. Thats why i say color has nothing to do with it.
The argument above someone gave that it’d be hard to then keep track of dif hardnesses of the same color is for sure not a valid excuse for companys to not offer the choice (it may be the actual reason but a really bad reason none the less). I worked in inventory control for many years and it just take basic manufacturing understanding and basic inventory practices to keep track of it. Proper documentation and labeling are a virtual “cure all” for keeping track of which lots have which hardness.
Again, nothing i can personally do to change that they arent offered. Im just curious as to a commendable valid reason as to why not?