S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old January 30th, 2018, 12:31 AM   #1
Abyss

Default Terminology help!!!

New here, been skating for YEARS. After about a 10 year break, my wife and I are getting back into it to start getting our 2yo daughter hooked
That said, im apparently VERY outta the loop as 1/2 of what i have read here i dont understand due to the terminology used that was never used back in Ohio where i skated.
We are in Atlanta now and going to be skating alot and i will be reading here alot so can anyone piece together a “terminology list” so i can translate what im reading haha.

Things like “jam skate”, “suicide stop”, and everythng else like it i have never heard before. When i skated, everyone just bought hard candys if u were poor or carerras if u had a lil bit of cash and no one really bothered with new bearings or “good” wheels unless again, they had $ and if so it was bones bearings and wicked lips wheels. Now days there seems to be tons of technical talk back an fourth a out swapping plates an trucks and what i have read seems to point to spending hundreads an hundreads to have a decent pair of skates.....
All that said, thanks for having me!
My current setup is a laughable viper M4 boot i got free (and new) with my original OLD sure grip plates from my OLD Carreras, teal/soft i erceptor V-drive wheels, bones bearings, new suregrip cushions/trucks, and all new hardware.
SKates were VERY comfy and rolled better then i have ever been on so im VERY happy so far. So aside from a quick terminology lesson, how crappy is my setup by standards now days haha?
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 12:34 AM   #2
Abyss

If anyone wants/needs to see the skates and can walk me through how to post a pic i will be happy to do so
Old January 30th, 2018, 01:06 AM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
New here, been skating for YEARS. After about a 10 year break, my wife and I are getting back into it to start getting our 2yo daughter hooked
That said, im apparently VERY outta the loop as 1/2 of what i have read here i dont understand due to the terminology used that was never used back in Ohio where i skated.
We are in Atlanta now and going to be skating alot and i will be reading here alot so can anyone piece together a “terminology list” so i can translate what im reading haha.

Things like “jam skate”, “suicide stop”, and everythng else like it i have never heard before. When i skated, everyone just bought hard candys if u were poor or carerras if u had a lil bit of cash and no one really bothered with new bearings or “good” wheels unless again, they had $ and if so it was bones bearings and wicked lips wheels. Now days there seems to be tons of technical talk back an fourth a out swapping plates an trucks and what i have read seems to point to spending hundreads an hundreads to have a decent pair of skates.....
All that said, thanks for having me!
My current setup is a laughable viper M4 boot i got free (and new) with my original OLD sure grip plates from my OLD Carreras, teal/soft i erceptor V-drive wheels, bones bearings, new suregrip cushions/trucks, and all new hardware.
SKates were VERY comfy and rolled better then i have ever been on so im VERY happy so far. So aside from a quick terminology lesson, how crappy is my setup by standards now days haha?
The main thing is, are your skates working for you? If you skate harder then most in your area, you may find your skates have shortcomings. If you skate kinda casual, they may be all you need except for some mild upgrades. Some of this stuff is like fashion and fads, the flavor changes in less than 6 months. If you are not happy with your setup....money can and will get spent before getting things right. I restarted skating on Carreras but am a long way from that. Decent pair is a pair that you are happy with. Spending lots of money doesn't mean that you will have the right skate, buy smart and do your research.

Wrlcome to SLF!
Old January 30th, 2018, 01:45 AM   #4
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
The main thing is, are your skates working for you? If you skate harder then most in your area, you may find your skates have shortcomings. If you skate kinda casual, they may be all you need except for some mild upgrades. Some of this stuff is like fashion and fads, the flavor changes in less than 6 months. If you are not happy with your setup....money can and will get spent before getting things right. I restarted skating on Carreras but am a long way from that. Decent pair is a pair that you are happy with. Spending lots of money doesn't mean that you will have the right skate, buy smart and do your research.

Wrlcome to SLF!
Love the “liberal logic” lmao!!!!!! And thanks. Yea i was thinking the same thing after foolishly buyin the V-drive wheels cause i assumed they were the new version of wicked lips w/out researching and now that i have em and skated em (pretty gently cause its been quite a few years since i skated for real) i dont see what the negative reviews r about lol. I love em. Prob love em as much or more then my original wicked lips lol.
I def need good boots tho that are comfy. Def low tops i guess similar to my old carreras. Im lost on that as theirs so many options now days lol. These cheapy M4’s im certain wont last but they fit my wide feet well so i like em and pray they can take a beating. I cant be spending hundreads just for boots or plates haha
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:12 AM   #5
fierocious1

Quote:
Love the “liberal logic” lmao!!!!!! And thanks. Yea i was thinking the same thing after foolishly buyin the V-drive wheels cause i assumed they were the new version of wicked lips w/out researching and now that i have em and skated em (pretty gently cause its been quite a few years since i skated for real) i dont see what the negative reviews r about lol. I love em. Prob love em as much or more then my original wicked lips lol.
I def need good boots tho that are comfy. Def low tops i guess similar to my old carreras. Im lost on that as theirs so many options now days lol. These cheapy M4’s im certain wont last but they fit my wide feet well so i like em and pray they can take a beating. I cant be spending hundreads just for boots or plates haha
It may take some time to find a good fitting boot. There are people here that know boots and can give you good advice on them. Plates, wow there are tons of plates to look at. There are people that like DA45 or 30 degree kp plates and some that hate them, so much to choose from. I like the tuning range that they have and can be tailored to your style. The others skate well but are a more fixed suspension system that can be softened with changes in cushions. Bearings, no need in spending much there, bearings are bearings and no need to spend over $50. What ever grips your floor is what you want to use. Check the local skaters to see what works on your floor, that is if you have quad skaters.
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:25 AM   #6
Abyss

Quote:
It may take some time to find a good fitting boot. There are people here that know boots and can give you good advice on them. Plates, wow there are tons of plates to look at. There are people that like DA45 or 30 degree kp plates and some that hate them, so much to choose from. I like the tuning range that they have and can be tailored to your style. The others skate well but are a more fixed suspension system that can be softened with changes in cushions. Bearings, no need in spending much there, bearings are bearings and no need to spend over $50. What ever grips your floor is what you want to use. Check the local skaters to see what works on your floor, that is if you have quad skaters.
Quads dominate still from what i have seen (thankfully). Im certan i will ask for soecific advice when it comes time for decent boots when these cheapys run their course haha. I need to fig out what degree the old suregrip plates/trucks are that came on my old carreras. Thats all i have ever skated and did so quite well. I cant imagine changing what has always worked so well for me but m alot older now and wont be skating as technical or hard as before. I already have everything but the wheels tigter then i used to do lol. While we get our lil girl into it im using that time to ease back in myself
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:30 AM   #7
fierocious1

Quote:
Quads dominate still from what i have seen (thankfully). Im certan i will ask for soecific advice when it comes time for decent boots when these cheapys run their course haha. I need to fig out what degree the old suregrip plates/trucks are that came on my old carreras. Thats all i have ever skated and did so quite well. I cant imagine changing what has always worked so well for me but m alot older now and wont be skating as technical or hard as before. I already have everything but the wheels tigter then i used to do lol. While we get our lil girl into it im using that time to ease back in myself
Look man, age got nothing to do with it.... LOL I'm almost 57..... been back on my wheels for nearly 8 years. wrist guards........gotta have'em
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:31 AM   #8
Abyss

Is there maybe a particular thread i havent yet found dedicated to the dif playes and what they are for and such? I see ya’ll talk about the 30’s and 45’s alot but other then the obvious difference in angle, whats the difference? Does one turn quicker? Is it just to space the wheels further alart (and if so, whats gained/lost in the spacing?)
Old January 30th, 2018, 02:34 AM   #9
Abyss

Quote:
Look man, age got nothing to do with it.... LOL I'm almost 57..... been back on my wheels for nearly 8 years. wrist guards........gotta have'em
I guess not so much age as much as im now 4 knee surgeries and a hip surgery i been putting off for roughly 8 yrs since i have skated for real haha. I simply am not able to do all the cool stuff i used to be able to do haha. I still got alot of it tho as it turns out.
Old January 30th, 2018, 04:00 PM   #10
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Is there maybe a particular thread i havent yet found dedicated to the dif playes and what they are for and such? I see ya’ll talk about the 30’s and 45’s alot but other then the obvious difference in angle, whats the difference? Does one turn quicker? Is it just to space the wheels further alart (and if so, whats gained/lost in the spacing?)
The fun is learning.
Not a lot can go on with skates, but, what has happened...
Different durometers (hardness) of urethanes for wheels and cushions, and soft cushions make skating a lot more fun.

Plates were 5-10 degrees forever, great for stability, speed, going straight with crossovers at speed. Then the S/A45's arrived, the king pin angle is actually 30 degrees, but they are called S/A 45's?? They have a single cushion and are twitchy.
Then the D/A 45's came along, the 30 degree king pin remained, but they cut the long S/A45 cushion in half and put half on top of the hanger (the axle is attached to the hanger and the hanger attaches to the plate)

and the other half of the cushion is below the hanger, (the picture doesn't label the hanger but it's part of the truck, the axle and the hanger are the truck).

So you get the 30 degree plate which gives better turning charicteristics but takes away the twitchyness.

Next comes the distance between axles, used to be the plate was sized for the boot by the length of the boot, the back of the plate was at the back of the boot and the front of the plate would be at the front of the boot, so, basically, long plates, nowadays, people find that shorter plates turn better and are more fun.
So you can tighten up or loosen up your trucks with harder or softer cushions and you can shorten up your plate to make the skate turn better.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2018, 07:48 PM   #11
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
The fun is learning.
Not a lot can go on with skates, but, what has happened...
Different durometers (hardness) of urethanes for wheels and cushions, and soft cushions make skating a lot more fun.

Plates were 5-10 degrees forever, great for stability, speed, going straight with crossovers at speed. Then the S/A45's arrived, the king pin angle is actually 30 degrees, but they are called S/A 45's?? They have a single cushion and are twitchy.
Then the D/A 45's came along, the 30 degree king pin remained, but they cut the long S/A45 cushion in half and put half on top of the hanger (the axle is attached to the hanger and the hanger attaches to the plate)

and the other half of the cushion is below the hanger, (the picture doesn't label the hanger but it's part of the truck, the axle and the hanger are the truck).

So you get the 30 degree plate which gives better turning charicteristics but takes away the twitchyness.

Next comes the distance between axles, used to be the plate was sized for the boot by the length of the boot, the back of the plate was at the back of the boot and the front of the plate would be at the front of the boot, so, basically, long plates, nowadays, people find that shorter plates turn better and are more fun.
So you can tighten up or loosen up your trucks with harder or softer cushions and you can shorten up your plate to make the skate turn better.
Good info and thanks for it!!! My truck setup is 2 cushions per truck/stud so 1 above and 1 below (thats all i know anyway) and considered fairly loose im sure (loose enough that the wheels rub the boot is how we used to set the looseness to get max mobility). I have always skated everything pretty lose which enables almost instant turning (since mines setup that way, i never understood ppls issue with running into others or the need/ability to stop lol). What we always did was keep the wheels slightly loose allowing the wheel to kinda “skid” making that loud/fast bouncy sound coupled w/loose trucks allowing turns on a dime and we would just weave in/out of ppl no matter how crowded w/out issue? Is it recommended now days to NOT have things loose? It was the gold standard where im from all those years ago. Anyone who knew how to rythm skate (we called it boogie skating) and do “tricks” an such was setup that way so i always thought that was just whats best lol. As u can surely tell im vary outta the loop on most everything hahaha.
Old January 30th, 2018, 10:47 PM   #12
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Good info and thanks for it!!! My truck setup is 2 cushions per truck/stud so 1 above and 1 below (thats all i know anyway) and considered fairly loose im sure (loose enough that the wheels rub the boot is how we used to set the looseness to get max mobility). I have always skated everything pretty lose which enables almost instant turning (since mines setup that way, i never understood ppls issue with running into others or the need/ability to stop lol). What we always did was keep the wheels slightly loose allowing the wheel to kinda “skid” making that loud/fast bouncy sound coupled w/loose trucks allowing turns on a dime and we would just weave in/out of ppl no matter how crowded w/out issue? Is it recommended now days to NOT have things loose? It was the gold standard where im from all those years ago. Anyone who knew how to rythm skate (we called it boogie skating) and do “tricks” an such was setup that way so i always thought that was just whats best lol. As u can surely tell im vary outta the loop on most everything hahaha.
For years before I found the log I also skated 10 degree plates, but I had in 87' found "cloud" cushions, really excellent cushions to replace the rock hard suckers, and I also had found "gyro" wheels, so my wheels and cushions were excellent and with 10 degree plates I was always up on two wheels, inside or outside while I boogied along (outdoors), then I got some D/A45's and super soft cushions, now all the wheels stay down and I boogie along.
So, read up about sure grip light blue cushions (very soft) grab some and snug them so the retaining washers just turn freely, great response and much less metal wear, clean your bearings and with new nylon nuts snug the nuts till the wheels turn freely but not tight, again, less metal wear but the same or better response.
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:36 PM   #13
Abyss

Quote:
For years before I found the log I also skated 10 degree plates, but I had in 87' found "cloud" cushions, really excellent cushions to replace the rock hard suckers, and I also had found "gyro" wheels, so my wheels and cushions were excellent and with 10 degree plates I was always up on two wheels, inside or outside while I boogied along (outdoors), then I got some D/A45's and super soft cushions, now all the wheels stay down and I boogie along.
So, read up about sure grip light blue cushions (very soft) grab some and snug them so the retaining washers just turn freely, great response and much less metal wear, clean your bearings and with new nylon nuts snug the nuts till the wheels turn freely but not tight, again, less metal wear but the same or better response.
Copy that and thnx, will def look into it. On a side note, my old bearing cleaning trick for cutting the gunk an such in a matter of about 2 skakes inside a capped pill bottle was to pop the rubber seals then pop the nylon retainer (wash those in mild soapy water) then the inner/outer race and bearings go in acetone filled pill bottle for 3 shakes then reassemble (i assume making sure everything is dry goes w/out sayin even tho i just said it haha). Still a good method???
Old January 30th, 2018, 11:53 PM   #14
ursle
Street Skater

Yes acetone, then I like to rinse with 91 % isoprople alcohol, then two drops of bones speed creme per bearing.
It's a thick oil that turns to grease when it cools and then liquid as it heats, lasts a long time, Connie's skate place online offers 10% with the code RDD, lots of parts, and a small bottle of speed creme will last.
Old January 31st, 2018, 01:01 AM   #15
Abyss

Quote:
Yes acetone, then I like to rinse with 91 % isoprople alcohol, then two drops of bones speed creme per bearing.
It's a thick oil that turns to grease when it cools and then liquid as it heats, lasts a long time, Connie's skate place online offers 10% with the code RDD, lots of parts, and a small bottle of speed creme will last.
Good deal and yea i use bones speed cream. I have often heard it is more cream/grease like when cool amd more oil like when warmed up. I cant find anywhere where it says that tho and in the bottle at room temp, its a VERY thin liquid oil. Whe i add 3 drops, it disperses so fast/thin it doesnt even appear lubed so im curious at what “condition” or temp is it actually cream like? I ask because i am always afraid its leaking out or dripping out when the skates r sitting in the closet lol.
Old January 31st, 2018, 02:53 AM   #16
Dekindy

S/A is single action; a single cushion per truck, and D/A means double action; 2 cushions per truck.

DA45 are not 45 degree angles; they are 30 degrees. Confusing, huh!

Speed and general session skaters usually skate 10 or 15 degree plates and those that have high skill and want highest turning ability go for the 30 degree plates. If you can, find someone with modern skates that you can try both types before buying.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2018, 02:56 AM   #17
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
S/A is single action; a single cushion per truck, and D/A means double action; 2 cushions per truck.

Speed and general session skaters usually skate 10 or 15 degree plates and those that have high skill and want highest turning ability go for the 30 degree plates. If you can, find someone with modern skates that you can try both types before buying.
And to really confuse you ... some go fast on 30 degree plates too. LOL
Old January 31st, 2018, 03:09 AM   #18
Abyss

Haha
Old January 31st, 2018, 03:11 AM   #19
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post

We tecently moved here so i dont see anyone letting me check their stuff out but i will look into the difference in mine vs others. If it helps, what i currently have built is the white ones in the avatar pic
Old January 31st, 2018, 04:55 AM   #20
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Jam skating is a kind of skate dance, with emphasis on being on one axle, and ground work/acrobatics. It is done in place or moving along. Rhythm skating is somewhat similar. Little to no one axle stuff, and little to no acrobatics. A beginning Jam skater might be mistaken for a Rhythm skater. Also, rhythm skating often has "canned" steps, and is often done in groups. Jam skating is typically free style, though a Jam skater may create and stick to certain routines. A Jam SKATE is typically a speed type boot, and light weight is a plus. Rhythm skating is often done on a high heel, high top recreational boot.

Suicide stops?? Sounds like something someone in Derby made up.