S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old December 11th, 2017, 12:24 AM   #21
ursle
Street Skater

Ok, so rexing, skating backwards all 8 wheels down with no toe stops in a figure eight is one thing, General skating on a filled rink in one direction is another, itís on the skater with no toe stops not to harm any other skaters.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #22
Derrick

Default Falling behavior

One thing I notice from inexperienced skaters.
If you hold your hand out to someone who is about to fall they stablize without ever taking the offer. I think having a new option allows them to co centrate on stablizing themselves.

Anyway, while going backwards, my most used ways to avoid a collision is a mohawk to forward. Then quickly mohwak back to regain your line after passing. Or moving to a side-surfing postion. It changes your line very quickly.

If you can mohawk clockwise and counterclockwise you can avoid almost any crash.
Old December 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM   #23
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I have been watching this thread for a bit. Just got back into quads after 25 years on inlines exclusively and consider myself an expert on them. (In other words, I can do anything on skates except for complicated slalom moves without some practice). Before inlines I was an expert on quads as well. Tons of rink time and a fair amount of outdoor skating.

So my issue now is that I do not have any type of true EMERGENCY stop on my quads outdoors in the real world. Sure I can T-Stop, drag a stopper, and make a sharp U-Turn at low speeds but I can not stop on a dime (going forward) like I can with a hockey-stop on my inlines. This is really holding me back from skating around auto traffic or even areas with lots of pedestrians.

I run really soft wheels outdoors to PREVENT sliding. Am I missing something simple here? Or do you "traffic jammers" out there not worry about actually stopping on a dime? Any tips are appreciated.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:32 PM   #24
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
Reverse plough stop or reverse T stop work. Or if you are feeling confident a suicide stop (skating backwards, pick one foot up, extend leg in direction of travel and stab down wheels sideways). It looks cool as all hell, but you have to commit to it.
I don't like the reverse T stop. I do do ploughs forward and backward. I agree the backward suicide is more of a sweep than a stab. Though you do sweep to a point where you do stab at it, so a bit of both. Did both yesterday. Biggest problem with both is you need some room to do them. Not as compact as a backward double toe stop.
Old December 24th, 2017, 03:33 AM   #25
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I have been watching this thread for a bit. Just got back into quads after 25 years on inlines exclusively and consider myself an expert on them. (In other words, I can do anything on skates except for complicated slalom moves without some practice). Before inlines I was an expert on quads as well. Tons of rink time and a fair amount of outdoor skating.

So my issue now is that I do not have any type of true EMERGENCY stop on my quads outdoors in the real world. Sure I can T-Stop, drag a stopper, and make a sharp U-Turn at low speeds but I can not stop on a dime (going forward) like I can with a hockey-stop on my inlines. This is really holding me back from skating around auto traffic or even areas with lots of pedestrians.

I run really soft wheels outdoors to PREVENT sliding. Am I missing something simple here? Or do you "traffic jammers" out there not worry about actually stopping on a dime? Any tips are appreciated.
I dont stop, I do my best to avoid any contact and slice through. No stopping on a dime either. By the time you get set up for a stop, you are on top of them anyway. Best toalways have an out.
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:15 AM   #26
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Only backwards when it's quite

I only skate backwards slowly now and when the rink is quiet. If I have to avoid something behind me, usually a a kid on their bum or heading for the outer edge, there's room to swerve. If that fails, it's a reverse snow plow and take what comes.

Going fast backwards I leave for the outdoor netball courts; nothing to hit but the goal posts.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:25 AM   #27
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I run really soft wheels outdoors to PREVENT sliding. Am I missing something simple here?
I've found that hockey stopping soft wheeled quads outdoors is nigh on impossible. They'll dig in and I'll usually cartwheel over my own ankles. Usually also give the wheels a nice flat spot too.

For me, outdoors, since I don't have toe stoppers, it's a plough or T stop. I save hockey stops for smooth or coated concrete and harder wheels.
Old December 24th, 2017, 12:12 PM   #28
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyape View Post
I've found that hockey stopping soft wheeled quads outdoors is nigh on impossible. They'll dig in and I'll usually cartwheel over my own ankles. Usually also give the wheels a nice flat spot too.

For me, outdoors, since I don't have toe stoppers, it's a plough or T stop. I save hockey stops for smooth or coated concrete and harder wheels.
With too much grip, you just cut out of troubles way. If you still can't, then a spin stop it is. Think about it: A spin stop is just a hard cut that does not squirt out some direction, but puts your momentum in a spin. Once you momentum in the spin degrades enough, you stab out a foot to fully stop.
Old December 24th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #29
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
If you still can't, then a spin stop it is. Once your momentum in the spin degrades enough, you stab out a foot to fully stop.
I can spin stop when going forwards, but my brain just can't make it happen when I'm going backwards. Maybe something to practice.... with pads on.
Old December 24th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #30
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
I can spin stop when going forwards, but my brain just can't make it happen when I'm going backwards. Maybe something to practice.... with pads on.
Ahhhhhh. Even easier going backwards. Especially for my left foot sweeping backwards. But, I do go backwards a lot.
Old December 26th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #31
Derrick

Quote:
Try coming up on your toes a bit. It makes spinning in reverse easier.
Old December 26th, 2017, 10:38 PM   #32
PRFunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
One last tactic I have used on more than one occasion and it seems to work, but you must be a good skater to do this. And that is to grab the person you are going to crash into. At that moment of impact or crash, grab that person and hold yourself and that other person up, until you are both stabilized and then let go after both of you have regained your balance.
I actually DID this in October! I was at a late night retro jam which was
pretty damn busy. I'm very good at a tactic I employ all the time called
skating where you've already been. What this means is, when
somebody cuts me off, I go where they just came from. There was a good
track playing, don't remember what it was now but suffice it to say it was a
true eighties skate jam and many of the better skaters ~ about twenty, had
got higher speed going on the outside. As luck would have it, that person
who randomly decides they're going to leave the floor now does that ninety-
degree right turn in front of me. Where I was in no danger of clipping
anybody two seconds earlier, now, after deploying my go where you came
from
tactic, I was headed right for a group of three people who were
skating side by side. I chose the widest gap, and rolled between with my feet
single-file style, grabbed the person's arm I would've knocked over and
somehow did 180 degrees holding them up before letting go and hitting
another 180 degrees forward to keep myself from going down and rolling. I
believe I executed this nearly perfectly but had never had to do anything like
that before. After balancing myself out alright, I completed another lap and
then headed to the snackbar for strawberry-banana slushie. At the time, I
felt rather embarassed but in hindsight, whoever here compared this to an
avoided auto accident is absolutely right and I think I did good.
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #33
amohrfeld

When skating outdoors I use really large, soft, bouncy wheels. I can not slide on most surfaces. I plan as I go, and always know my escape route. I'll drop speed if I see a hazard. I'll also do some sort of spin move if I need to stop quickly.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #34
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

OK, thanks folks! Answered my questions about emergency stopping on soft quad wheels outdoors. Looks like I'll be using the inlines for skating in congested areas with auto traffic and pedestrians all over the place. I suspected as much but wanted to hear it from the experts.

Oh, slowing down is not in my DNA. I really need an emergency stop AND a very sharp turn on a dime. Sometimes in really crowded quarters I rocker my wheels to insure I can turn a right angle instantly.

I plan to use my quads with soft wheels on wet days where inlines are impossible. I can T-stop better on wet surfaces and even hockey stop in the quads. It's the reason I went "back" to quads in the first place. Water!
Old December 30th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #35
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I dont stop, I do my best to avoid any contact and slice through. No stopping on a dime either. By the time you get set up for a stop, you are on top of them anyway. Best toalways have an out.
For my money I think this is the best advice. I had a feeling this was the case, but wanted to be sure.
Old December 30th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #36
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
Ok I have toe stops, but sometimes I take them out. If I feel like I am going to need to slow down or there may be trouble ahead I just turn around. I have always assumed this is what everyone does. I don't think I have every seen anyone stop quickly going backwards without toe stops.

Anyway, I got to thinking, is there any reliable (safe) way to stop without a toe stop if you're skating backwards (short of turning around)?
I'll post a backwards T stop, backwards plow stop, the 1 foot variants, and a coveted backwards hockey stop video tomorrow.

Maybe even a backwards hockey to lateral takeoff on the fly without actually comming to a stop.

My skates got a modification recently and they are incredibly twitchy, so hopefully after some time at session, I don't forget to do the video lol.

@ Joey

Skating outside, I've used just about every hardness, and have learned to adjust to the variables in grip. We(the local rink crew that skates with me and my close friends) can all hockey stop on virtually any wheel on virtually any surface. You just have to be able to modulate weight, and know how to create, sustain, and end the vibrations that make hockey stopping possible. The more dampening in a setup, the harder it becomes. Loose bearing to axle fit, with loose hub to bearing fit, and loose internal clearances bearings, like bones reds, coupled with any duro wheel will be relatively easy to slide. The tighter the assembly gets on clearances, the less available wiggle room, which means more vibration dampening, which means more overall grip, but harder to produce and control a slide.
Old December 31st, 2017, 01:41 AM   #37
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Here's the stops, demoed in forwards and then reverse.

Plow stops
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000401564970

T stops

Hockey stops
Old December 31st, 2017, 05:39 AM   #38
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Here're the stops, demoed in forwards and then reverse.
OK, what you call a hockey stop, I call a 'half hockey stop', as only the outer skate is sliding and the inner is turning in a very tight arc. For me, a true hockey stop is both skates sliding sideways.

I spent half an hour yesterday trying reverse half hockey stops outdoors. One side is OK, the other not so. Will do a bit more practice and then apply it at the indoor rinks when they re-open next week.
Old December 31st, 2017, 06:42 AM   #39
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
OK, what you call a hockey stop, I call a 'half hockey stop', as only the outer skate is sliding and the inner is turning in a very tight arc. For me, a true hockey stop is both skates sliding sideways.

I spent half an hour yesterday trying reverse half hockey stops outdoors. One side is OK, the other not so. Will do a bit more practice and then apply it at the indoor rinks when they re-open next week.

I assure you they both slid, it just doesn't really look that way. They're just short stops at low speed for demos so people can see there are many more options available than just toe stops.

For the backwards variants, you have to reverse the drift you're used to. Which means un-weighting your toes so they start the slide before pushing your whole edge into it. Essentially your toes now perform the function your heels did during the forwards hockey stop. Once you start to make those adjustments and comparisons, it shouldn't be as hard to figure out. A bit daunting at first

Any way you go about it, a hockey stop is essentially a 1 foot plow and a T stop combo'd into one move. Being able to do both sides of a T stop or plow stop is the building blocks for a hockey stop.
Old December 31st, 2017, 11:38 AM   #40
ursle
Street Skater

A hockey stop, on skis or skates is a stop at speed with both skis or blades turned 90 degrees to the direction of travel, always has been always will be.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote