S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 13th, 2018, 03:06 AM   #1
Abyss

Default Avanti aluminum plate.........

Good? bad? Durable?
I love the look and think i have he wife talked into letting me getting them with tax $ (yay haha).

Heres what i need to know that i cant seem to find out........
1) what size toe stops to get cause i will need to replace the big ones with them little bitty ones before skating?
2) the pictures i see show the blue cushons top an bottom are all barrel style but descriptions all say 4 conical and 4 barrel so can anyone confirm what cushon setup comes on them?
3) no idea what size to get. The plates im on now i think are a 7 as they came off of my old carrera size 11’s. The boots i currently use say they are 10’s but for sure feel like my old 11’s. Should i get a size 6 plate or a 7 like my i assume my current probes are?

If i grab em, all thats left is to figure out new white boots soon as i need em an im good to go for another 20 years lmao
As always, thanks in advance!!!
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:19 AM   #2
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
Good? bad? Durable?
Good, durable, a lot of value for the money. Get the magnesium ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
1) what size toe stops to get cause i will need to replace the big ones with them little bitty ones before skating?
None.

Quote:
2) the pictures i see show the blue cushons top an bottom are all barrel style but descriptions all say 4 conical and 4 barrel so can anyone confirm what cushon setup comes on them?
They come barrel/barrel. If you buy from someone who knows what they're doing, they come like you want them.

Quote:
3) no idea what size to get. The plates im on now i think are a 7 as they came off of my old carrera size 11’s. The boots i currently use say they are 10’s but for sure feel like my old 11’s. Should i get a size 6 plate or a 7 like my i assume my current probes are?
Get your foot measured so you know your size for sure.

If you're really an 11, you want a 6. I wear a 7 on a size 13.
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:24 AM   #3
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
Good, durable, a lot of value for the money. Get the magnesium ones.

None.

They come barrel/barrel. If you buy from someone who knows what they're doing, they come like you want them.

Get your foot measured so you know your size for sure.

If you're really an 11, you want a 6. I wear a 7 on a size 13.
Copy that, 6 it is then!
Im gonna grab em from connies im sure (gonna call tomorrow hopefully). I just say some apollo fiberglass ones at connies for $10 less then the avanti’s and they also look really nice. Any advice or thoughts on those? Style wise i like them better but aint sure about fiberglass for a plate lol
Old February 13th, 2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The aluminum Avanti plates have old style rubber bushed pivots and trucks, the mag version has the good adjustable pivot trucks and delrin pivot cups. Definitely worth the extra coin to go with the Mag version.

Yes! No stopper!

Plate size is a personal choice, some like em long some like em short. If you know where you like your axles under your feet, those pivot points is what wheelbase you want. Always check your size charts, plate sizing is not standardized by any means a size 6 avenger is 190mm wheelbase where a size 6 Avanti is a 168.

If you like your current setups axle placements just measure it and get something close.
Old February 13th, 2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
The aluminum Avanti plates have old style rubber bushed pivots and trucks, the mag version has the good adjustable pivot trucks and delrin pivot cups. Definitely worth the extra coin to go with the Mag version.

Yes! No stopper!

Plate size is a personal choice, some like em long some like em short. If you know where you like your axles under your feet, those pivot points is what wheelbase you want. Always check your size charts, plate sizing is not standardized by any means a size 6 avenger is 190mm wheelbase where a size 6 Avanti is a 168.

If you like your current setups axle placements just measure it and get something close.
Awesome thanks
Old February 13th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #6
Abyss

Any thoughts or experiences on the apollo fiberglass plate? Looks really nice and im sure very light. Its $10 cleaper then the avanti too. I saw it on connies website
Old February 14th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #7
fierocious1

Quote:
Any thoughts or experiences on the apollo fiberglass plate? Looks really nice and im sure very light. Its $10 cleaper then the avanti too. I saw it on connies website
IMO, if you are hard on skates, get the metal. If you weigh over 175 to 180lbs, get the metal. AS I said, In My Opinion only.
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:06 PM   #8
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
For $10, I'd be all over the Avanti. The Apollo is really intended as a kids' plate or for the very casual adult skater.
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:04 AM   #9
BigFoot

I picked Mg over Al due to a weight savings of < ¼ lbs (3.5 oz) per plate. At the time, the cost difference was about $60. It’s more now, $100 vs $190. Regardless of which plate you choose, shop around, and check for coupon codes and discounts where you plan to buy.

Yes, they are durable and they stay in adjustment. When they first came out, some SLF people said they weighed too much, more than plate X and plate Y, as I recall. I dunno, that might be true. Maybe the reason they feel sturdy is that they are a meaty build.

My Avantis came with purple barrels AND cones, not just barrels. If you happen to order different cushions, you might want to add some feather-light nylon axle nuts to your order, like Astro Nuts or Zero Nutz, $6 for a set of 8. Shed some weight…just saying.

They come with monster toe stops. They’re big. Unless, of course, you do toe stop tricks or use them for reverse braking, then they are OK. I don’t do either of these, so I bought Sure-Grip Jam Plugs for $7.00/pair. They are small and light weight. They protect the front of my boot (and my toes) when I accidentally hit a curb or railing. They also anchor my skate to the pavement when I tie my laces.

For size, check the Sure-Grip Spec Sheets. Unfortunately it only shows boot size, plate size and axle distance. It does not show plate length. So if you prefer a nice looking short-forward mounting, or you want long skateboards on your feet, you need to ask your dealer to call Sure-Grip for that information. I wear a size 9.5 boot and bought a size 6 Avanti plate for my close-to-standard mount. My toe sticks out 10mm past the front of my plate and my heal hangs out 8mm past the rear of my plate. The length of the plate is 267mm.

Good luck on all this. Let us know how it worked out.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 03:28 AM   #10
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
I picked Mg over Al due to a weight savings of < ¼ lbs (3.5 oz) per plate. At the time, the cost difference was about $60. It’s more now, $100 vs $190. Regardless of which plate you choose, shop around, and check for coupon codes and discounts where you plan to buy.

Yes, they are durable and they stay in adjustment. When they first came out, some SLF people said they weighed too much, more than plate X and plate Y, as I recall. I dunno, that might be true. Maybe the reason they feel sturdy is that they are a meaty build.

My Avantis came with purple barrels AND cones, not just barrels. If you happen to order different cushions, you might want to add some feather-light nylon axle nuts to your order, like Astro Nuts or Zero Nutz, $6 for a set of 8. Shed some weight…just saying.

They come with monster toe stops. They’re big. Unless, of course, you do toe stop tricks or use them for reverse braking, then they are OK. I don’t do either of these, so I bought Sure-Grip Jam Plugs for $7.00/pair. They are small and light weight. They protect the front of my boot (and my toes) when I accidentally hit a curb or railing. They also anchor my skate to the pavement when I tie my laces.

For size, check the Sure-Grip Spec Sheets. Unfortunately it only shows boot size, plate size and axle distance. It does not show plate length. So if you prefer a nice looking short-forward mounting, or you want long skateboards on your feet, you need to ask your dealer to call Sure-Grip for that information. I wear a size 9.5 boot and bought a size 6 Avanti plate for my close-to-standard mount. My toe sticks out 10mm past the front of my plate and my heal hangs out 8mm past the rear of my plate. The length of the plate is 267mm.

Good luck on all this. Let us know how it worked out.
Well sadly it didnt work out as tax $ ended up being used in full to pay off bills so no new plates today but in the future for sure!!!

That said, i have a general question about plates an such in general.
Why is everyone on the forums (in general) so focused on weight of the parts? Is it a fatigue thing? A speed thing?
I mean, with cars (which i know a fair bit about as far as performance) you save weight u go faster but its to the tune of something absurd like every 100 lbs = 1/10 of a sec in a quarter mile run. So to run a quarter mile a full second faster in a car w/no changes mechanically, you need to shave 1,000 lbs.
so if 1,000 lbs saves 1 sec in a quarter mile in a car, what does the 7 oz weight savings in your example do for skates?
Im genuinly curious if it is really about squeezing every last drop of speed possible or if theres some other hidden benefits like fatigue, that may appeal to those of us with speed as a non-factor in skating?

Appreciate it!
Old February 16th, 2018, 05:39 AM   #11
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

The weight savings by getting the mag version of those 2 baseplates isn't going to be noticeable. It's the pivots that I would be concerned about.

I do like the weight of my skates(1265g) they are fairly light, this helps with foot speed, fatigue, and control. Wheels especially. More so when skating at speed and you set a foot down to go backwards after transitioning at a high rate of speed. The wheels spindown/spinup and the heavier they are the more it influences your skate. Essentially it will slow that foot down and pull it away from you the heavier the wheels are or the faster you skate.

Go running or play ultimate frisbee in work boots with steel toes and metatarsal guards vs in a pair of lightweight cleats. Essentially the same thing. While it doesn't necessarily make something less fun, it's taxing, when one could be a bit more choosey about gear and get a 1/2 pound easily saved per foot.

Excessive weight is also hard on knees and ankles.
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:14 AM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Well sadly it didnt work out as tax $ ended up being used in full to pay off bills so no new plates today but in the future for sure!!!

Why is everyone on the forums (in general) so focused on weight of the parts? Is it a fatigue thing? A speed thing?
I mean, with cars (which i know a fair bit about as far as performance) you save weight u go faster but its to the tune of something absurd like every 100 lbs = 1/10 of a sec in a quarter mile run. So to run a quarter mile a full second faster in a car w/no changes mechanically, you need to shave 1,000 lbs.
so if 1,000 lbs saves 1 sec in a quarter mile in a car, what does the 7 oz weight savings in your example do for skates?
Im genuinly curious if it is really about squeezing every last drop of speed possible or if theres some other hidden benefits like fatigue, that may appeal to those of us with speed as a non-factor in skating?

Appreciate it!
A fair amount of it is a geek thing. A competitive thing. A look, I win thing.
People just want to outdo someone or something else. And that is not ALWAYS a bad thing. I mean, if you put a heavy boot, and heavy plate and heavy wheels, it will add up and be noticeable. I noticed the difference in my fan jet wheels vs my power plus wheels.

What it boils down to is what you want and how much $$$ you got. Shaving some weight can lead to some interesting project too. People drilling a heavy Roll Line plate, for instance.

If I were interested in a light weight speed skate, and I wanted to be clever and save some money, I'd look at a Bont Quad Racer in fiberglass, or maybe for a few bucks more, Carbon Fiber, and a simple cheap SG 10 degree nylon plate. Light good speed wheels, and there you go. I have seen a few claims of boots that are lighter than Bont, but I don't believe them. Bont's are crazy light. Nylon plates are light too. If you go for light through an expensive metal plate alone....$$$$$.

Some folks just love to tinker. And shaving weight is a goal to chase.

I am not obsessed with weight. But I still think of it when putting a skate together. How a skate performs, which includes a properly sized plate and proper mounting trumps weight. By a large margin. That comes from experience of coming from improper mounts to proper mounts and an added trick or two.
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #13
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
A fair amount of it is a geek thing. A competitive thing. A look, I win thing.
People just want to outdo someone or something else. And that is not ALWAYS a bad thing. I mean, if you put a heavy boot, and heavy plate and heavy wheels, it will add up and be noticeable. I noticed the difference in my fan jet wheels vs my power plus wheels.

What it boils down to is what you want and how much $$$ you got. Shaving some weight can lead to some interesting project too. People drilling a heavy Roll Line plate, for instance.

If I were interested in a light weight speed skate, and I wanted to be clever and save some money, I'd look at a Bont Quad Racer in fiberglass, or maybe for a few bucks more, Carbon Fiber, and a simple cheap SG 10 degree nylon plate. Light good speed wheels, and there you go. I have seen a few claims of boots that are lighter than Bont, but I don't believe them. Bont's are crazy light. Nylon plates are light too. If you go for light through an expensive metal plate alone....$$$$$.

Some folks just love to tinker. And shaving weight is a goal to chase.

I am not obsessed with weight. But I still think of it when putting a skate together. How a skate performs, which includes a properly sized plate and proper mounting trumps weight. By a large margin. That comes from experience of coming from improper mounts to proper mounts and an added trick or two.
There are a lot of us tinkerers out here.. and the hunt for the perfect setup never ends.
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:46 AM   #14
fierocious1

Quote:

Appreciate it!
Reasonable weight savings is the goal for most. You can definitely feel the difference between a skate that is maxed out for weight savings compared to a skate that is not. But going that light is just like going that light in cars. Parts are lighter and weaker. Don't expect the lighter stuff to last forever, or be able to take the punishment that the heavier equipment can absorb. Good handling, mounting and fit with light weights make for a good skate. The weight adds up and fatigues a skater over time. So a compromise must be worked up. Most setups that are out there that are lighter are not going for the ultimately lightest skate, most are within reason, choosing parts that help lighten an already good combination.
Old February 16th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #15
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
There are a lot of us tinkerers out here.. and the hunt for the perfect setup never ends.
Kudos to the tinkerers. They bring better things to skating.

Me, I found a setup I think is great, and I have been skating it like I stole it ever since.
Old February 17th, 2018, 02:57 AM   #16
Abyss

Good info ya’ll thanks!
I think one general consensus is fatigue as i figured. But when ya’ll speak of saving that tiny ammount of weight to save on fatige, are we talking about skaters who skate all nite, outdoor, indoor, long sessions multiple times a week?
I fee like my old carreras were really heavy to carry around an such but my feet rarely are off the floor in the grand scheme of a seasion and on my feet they never felt heavy or cumbersome or hindering at all.
I feel like fatigue possibly is only even a real factor if you skate ALOT, or outdoor, or were doing jumps an lifting your feet alot maybe???

I dunno lol, im just trying to really nail down how weight may/may not affect me.
Old February 17th, 2018, 03:12 AM   #17
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Yeah, sure weight does matter. One little thing though is, the weight you feel as heavy in your hand won't seem to be as much on your foot. The foot and leg being bigger and heavier. But yeah. As you get tired going round the floor, eventually you'll feel it. But hey, we all need the exercise anyway, right?
Old February 17th, 2018, 04:39 AM   #18
fierocious1

Quote:
Good info ya’ll thanks!
I think one general consensus is fatigue as i figured. But when ya’ll speak of saving that tiny ammount of weight to save on fatige, are we talking about skaters who skate all nite, outdoor, indoor, long sessions multiple times a week?
I fee like my old carreras were really heavy to carry around an such but my feet rarely are off the floor in the grand scheme of a seasion and on my feet they never felt heavy or cumbersome or hindering at all.
I feel like fatigue possibly is only even a real factor if you skate ALOT, or outdoor, or were doing jumps an lifting your feet alot maybe???

I dunno lol, im just trying to really nail down how weight may/may not affect me.
I don't lift my feet far from the floor either, but moving fast takes foot speed. Moving your feet fast with lots of weight on the end of your legs will tire you out. My goofy skates weigh about 1400 to 1500 grams or so. Not too much that I can't skate a 3 or 4 hour session with ease. I have thrown away a ton of old Chicago rink skates that had a lot of cast iron metal in them, the trucks and upper parts that are riveted into the aluminum plate. High top boot, heavy plate and tight suspension will wear you down quick. They are heavy! When I was a kid, that is what I skated, by the time the session was over(3hours) I was done at 14yrs old. Later on I got Hard Candys, wow they were light, but I weighed about 140lbs then.
Over the shelf light weight plates are great, If you get the bug they can be made even lighter.
Old February 17th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #19
Abyss

Got ya, i think from what i am reading so far collectivly seems to say weight matters BUT its conditional.
Seems like the concensus is speed is the goal thus lighter plates to stave off fatigue.
My takeaway so far is that theres a direct relation between speed/fatigue so if you dont go fast, and/or dont care to then light plates arent near as important in your build.
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:20 PM   #20
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Got ya, i think from what i am reading so far collectivly seems to say weight matters BUT its conditional.
Seems like the concensus is speed is the goal thus lighter plates to stave off fatigue.
My takeaway so far is that theres a direct relation between speed/fatigue so if you dont go fast, and/or dont care to then light plates arent near as important in your build.
Light wheels are more important than light plates.

Unspring weight. and for a skate, its the farthest away from all your joints, which affects you the most. I skated a similar setup as mine once, our wheels were close to the same weight(8 grams or so per wheel)With the plate being around 200g heavier, not as Much difference as when I used to roll 62x44 fanjet and switched to RBT's then finally to Royal assassins.

I did feel the weight difference between the two plates, which also used the same boots so no discrepancy there.

As I said previously, the weight of the mag vs the Alu Avanti plates isn't significant to me, it's the adjistable trucks and pivot cup upgrade.

You are right though, the harder you skate, the faster a heavy skate will wear on you. Or if you do some knee movements like swinging your foot in the air, infront then behind you.... you'd be surprised the way a heavier skate has you feeling those hard/fast shuffle movements and leg flails the next day. Where a light skate doesn't.

You can get crazy with a lighter skate and not feel beat down in your joints.

As fierocious1 said: compromise. review options and select whats best for what ya want. Never know, it may change later on