S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old April 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #1
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

Default Prospect Park, Brooklyn - In Pictures

Here are some picture of the trail I train at. Also one of my favorite places in the world.

After skating for two blocks from my house I first start to see the entrance to the park.

But I can't skate before saying hi to my dear neighbors.

I just came in the park and I'm greeted by a hill. Most of the skate here is up or down hill.

One of the best things about skating in this park is there is a lot of space. It is less crowded and wider than Central Park, making this park one of the best places to skate in the whole state of New York.

Late 1800's architecture

Huge beautiful lake.

This was a cloudy and cold day so it may look empty, usually there are a lot of bikers and runners to keep me motivated.

Stop for some volleyball

The circus is in town

Got to be careful with all of the people on the road. It is a real problem in the summer. The solution is to draft bikes, they usually get rid of anything or anyone that is on the way.

Future speed skaters

Another hill

Audubon Center - circa 1850s

Great views

Finally some down hill

Uphill again

It's time to gain speed for the huge uphill

Prospect park zoo

Here starts the huge uphill, gotta switch gears

Stop for some freesbie

This hill just never ends

The crest is in sight

A short downhill time to relax

Grand Army Plaza

Here is pretty much half way around the park

I always end up skating faster when bikers are around

Stop for some hotdogs

This is the bandshell. In the summer Celebrate Brooklyn has some great performances here.

After a small uphill a small down hill. I usually turn left here to rest.

My favorite resting spot

For some coffee and bagels, nothing beats Connecticut Muffin

Pretty much a landmark around here The Pavillion

Hey look, today is opening day.

Okay let's get back on the trail, but skating behind one of these can be awful

Here come the huge downhill. Easily 30+mph can be achieved going down this hill

At this point you really start picking up speed

Here my legs start shaking.

The horses are always around

A this point I am almost flying.

Great views of the lake

Okay trail is over, its tiring huh, that was about 3.3 miles. Turn left over here for another lap or right to go home.

Gotta be careful with the horse poo on the left

The Park has these funny electrical cars, this woman wasn't so happy with me taking pictures. Across the street you can see the tennis center inside it's winter bubble.

Here is the NYPDs tower of fun. When they open this tower, cops can stay several feet up in the air. They usually place these in areas of high crime, so it's kind of scaring having it around my neighborhood.

On my way home.

Home at last.

And that's me.
dcuper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #2
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Great pictures!

This is the park that NY100K is skated in - but the route you have take photos of, is that also the route for the 100K? If you know - please post.
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:22 AM   #3
gopherfan

Yes, that would be the route, though you can't see the elevation changes.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Yes, that would be the route, though you can't see the elevation changes.
Compared to Texas RR, how are the elevation changes? More, less, the same?
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM   #5
Drella
alive with pleasure

How cool was that!

Nicely done! I'd love to see some mid-summer snapshots! Some foliage would make that a spectacular scene to facilitate an afternoon skate...

Bravo!
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
though you can't see the elevation changes.

False flats...
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:33 AM   #7
BleeckerSt_Girl

Wonderful picture story! Thank you!
I was born on Sterling Place right near Prospect Park.
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:28 AM   #8
gopherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Compared to Texas RR, how are the elevation changes? More, less, the same?

Prospect Park has one long, challenging climb that is much bigger than anything at the Texas RR. The climb is followed by a drawn out downhill portion, though there is a section where you really pick up some speed. I somehow took a fall on this portion last year, but I patched myself up and completed A2A the next weekend. The loop only has the one climb, but it is enough.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:42 AM   #9
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

That is AWESOME! The pictures are incredible! I love Prospect Park & it was nice to see it again. Thanks!
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Awesome! I'm jealous. I might have to try to work that in when we come up for BAR this summer.
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #11
bheater777

Default Prospect Park, Brooklyn

Fascinating that I was just looking into NYC crime (after watching some movie) and viewing this map plot site, and it tells that Brooklyn has by far the highest violent crime of the 5 burroughs. Then I did some google map study of the area, and lo and behold, Prospect Park is smack dab in the middle of the borrough, and just south of what looks to be the center of the maelstrom. And then I happened on your post. Looks completely safe. Small world.
bheater777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #12
skaterdog

Excellent. It's nice to get a look into your world.
Old April 27th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #13
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

thanks you guys for the replies... I was out of town and only could check in today.

This is were the NYC 100k is held and as was said above, there is one big hill that makes things complicated. You definitely get a good workout going up that hill!

Prospect Park is a great place to workout, listen to music, hangout etc. It is definitely an oasis in the city. Whenever you come to New York make sure to to get out of turisty Manhattan and come to Brooklyn, where you can actually experience how people actually live in this city with all it's diversity and culture.

Hope to see all of you at the NYC 100k

Daniel
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #14
online inline

Any good hotel reasonably close, for those of us out-of-towners planning on being in town to do the NYC 100K marathon?
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #15
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

dcuper1, Thanks for the pictorial skate in Prospect Park. I hope you're not "flying" down the hill when that traffic light turns red! How long did it take you to upload the photo's and report? I've got to learn how to post photos. It adds so much. Again, thanks!

LezSk8!
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #16
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Any good hotel reasonably close, for those of us out-of-towners planning on being in town to do the NYC 100K marathon?
I will take a look around and see what is close. It is funny that I never had to get a hotel for anyone in the area so I am not so familiar with what is available. If I find something I will tell you. If you are looking in the internet the area of Park Slope is very close and very safe, the only problem would be the it might be too expensive. An area with a better compromise in terms of safety and price would be prospect heights in the north, ditmas park and kensington in the south. The only area I would stay away from would be Crown Heights. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
dcuper1, Thanks for the pictorial skate in Prospect Park. I hope you're not "flying" down the hill when that traffic light turns red! How long did it take you to upload the photo's and report? I've got to learn how to post photos. It adds so much. Again, thanks!

LezSk8!
I use the website photobucket.com You have to resize the pictures and the best size is around 640x480. I have a mac and use IPhoto which is pretty straight foward on resizing. Photobucket easily gives you a webaddress to all your photos so you just copy and paste that address into your post by clicking the yellow icon with a mountain and moon. It took me around 20 minutes from uploading the pictures to having the final product. Photobucket is pretty cool because once you upload all your pictures you can easily make a slideshow and invite people to watch it.
Old May 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #17
Dan_R

I went to school Brooklyn Polytechnic, not far from Prospect Park.
But until few months ago I didnt know how close it was from Flatbush/Atlanti
LIRR stop i was talking everyday.

Is there a certain time when people come skating at that place?
Dan_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #18
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcuper1 View Post
I will take a look around and see what (hotel) is close. It is funny that I never had to get a hotel for anyone in the area so I am not so familiar with what is available. If I find something I will tell you. If you are looking in the internet the area of Park Slope is very close and very safe, the only problem would be the it might be too expensive. An area with a better compromise in terms of safety and price would be prospect heights in the north, ditmas park and kensington in the south. The only area I would stay away from would be Crown Heights. Hope this helps.,,
thanks. I know some people in Weehaukenm NJ, hwich shouldn't be too bad of a commute morning of race. And with any luck, they might even remember me. thir adress appears to be right near the bridge to Manhatten.

Little story: back in the 90s there were races and marathons all up and down the west coast every weekend. There was this old guy who used to race in many of them. One of my skate buddies who used to skate in the 90s said one morning, they pulled up to the starting area of one of these out of town races and saw the old guy lying on a park bench. Since they knew him and liked him, they struck up a conversation and asked him where he was staying. He just looked at them blankly and turned around to glance at the bench.

When i started skating marathons, i saw this guy all the time. Then one of my skate buddies said they saw him at some race a couple of years ago and he had a walker. They said they almost starting balling. True story. I know the guy, his long white beard, he always wore tie-die skate gear, and outrageous stuff, and had a great time.

Now there's no races around here. Now everyone i skate with has moved on to other sports. Now i am looking for races at the other end of the continent.

Sorry for rambling. The notion of places to stay before a race just reminded me of this story. I'm sure it will all work out, and i'm looking forward to it.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #19
sk8scott

I'm inspired! This summer, I'll have to bring my camera along on some of my favorite skate routes. The scenery is pretty breathtaking in places, and I never bother to take pictures.

A question: How does the Prospect Park hill compare to the hills on the Central Park loop, going counterclockwise? (I found one climb to be challenging a few years back, when I was skating in the pouring rain with bad indigestion from the lasagna I ate the night before. )

----Scott
sk8scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #20
dcuper1
Fuhgeddaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_R View Post
Is there a certain time when people come skating at that place?
Last year the Empire Speed guys were skating almost every tuesday and thursday at around 7:15pm 15st entrance. It hasn't taken off this year yet, but they still come out once in awhile. I see them specially on Saturday and Sunday around 12. I will try to post here when it becomes a more regular skating session.

Quote:
He just looked at them blankly and turned around to glance at the bench.
It would be cool if as part of the skate the organizers would hold an all night campfire with stories, marshmallows, etc. Everyone could bring their own sleeping bags and tents! Hear that Francisco...

Quote:
A question: How does the Prospect Park hill compare to the hills on the Central Park loop, going counterclockwise? (I found one climb to be challenging a few years back, when I was skating in the pouring rain with bad indigestion from the lasagna I ate the night before. )
It is pretty similar to the big hill in central park actually. The only difference is that in central park you have another two moderate hills while in prospect park there really is only that one monstrous thing.

Daniel