S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old July 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM   #1
romekjagoda

Default Tools for self-recording/filming

A simple query I've been grapling with: I want to film myself for the purpose of technique analysis and improvement.
I don't have a buddy I could ask to go skating with me, nor a befriended biker, whom I could ask for help.
I've tried putting a camera on a small tripod, but this sucks as you only see a couple of strides and then you're off camera's limits.
The best is to have a camera strapped to a bike or go behind a car, obviously, but since these are not available, is a selfie stick a viable option? I don't think it's very decent, since holding the stick will naturally affect your body position and movements.
Have you guys tried it? is it worth it? If yes, just a normal selfie stick or a gyroscopic one (probably not worth it for the couple of times I will use it, unless it's revolutionary).
A drone?
romekjagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 02:48 PM   #2
kentek

Default Tiz a problem

I've faced the same issue and have attempted several solutions.
I made a selfie rolling gimbaled platform I named "CasterCam". It is of limited use but a fun project. Here is brief YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij6RDBJuq_Y

I have also set up multiple video cams but they don't quite do the job either.
If you have the budget you can get a drone with camera. The software will let you tether the drone anywhere you choose: front-back-side-high-low, etc. I have not tried this yet.

Getting another skater with a camera is the best option but, I have the same issue as you: no other skaters in the area.
Good luck.
ken
kentek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 04:13 PM   #3
bjvircks
Major Trouble

one of the guys here (kufman) shot some some great selfie video using a radio controlled model car. Of course, he's skilled so he could manage good skating form while driving the car.

I'd highly suggest finding someone (young kid) and pay to film you. Go to bicycle shop or ask family/friends. I find that using any kind of self held/controlled camera makes it difficult to skate freely and properly... and if you are not skating freely and properly your video is lying to you.
Old July 10th, 2018, 11:34 PM   #4
kufman

Unfortunately, you really need to find something that moves and is driven by someone else. Any biker will do even a kid that can go 10 to 12 mph will be fast enough to give you an idea of your form.

The only other suggestion I can give you is to set the camera up a good distance away from yourself and skate directly towards or away from the camera. If you have someone that can use the zoom, you can get reasonable footage with this method. The basic idea can been seen is this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9og-esPmNw

A tripod or a monopod can help with the shakiness. For reference, here is the RC car method. It brings out the worst in your form because you have to drive the car, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkeoFSrf1WI
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:10 AM   #5
ese002

The ultimate solution is a drone. There exist drones that can keep the subject in the frame while flying out ahead. Problems include:

1) Fancy drones are expensive
2) Flight times are painfully short. Max is typically 15 minutes and you have to include time to fly back to the starting point when the battery runs low.
3) It is illegal to fly a drone anywhere vaguely near an airport. If you live in a major city you will find that it is illegal to fly a drone pretty much everywhere.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2018, 09:32 AM   #6
romekjagoda

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences. Much apprecaited.
The more I think about it the less inviting the thought of a selfie stick is to me. My guts feeling is I am going to use it once and shelve it.
A drone only for the purpose of filming me a couple of times is an overkill, for sure.

I think indeed the suggestion to pay someone to film me can be a good/best option. Ideally, if the kid could maintain the speed of about 25-30 kph for some time, as for me speeds below 20 kph are simply too low to be able to do the proper DP (maybe I am wrong, it's just that for me it does not work below 20kph). I will try to figure it out somehow by using someone else to film me, as I think this gives the best guarantee of any usable results.

Cheers!

PS.

Kufman, I am impressed with your invention of a remotely operated vehicle - gee man, that rocked!
Kentek, the same as with regard to Kufman - very creative and well done. Honestly. One big disadvantage is that you cant use your arms to swing + you cant really use your upper body to swing sidewas properly. But given you don't need anyone to film you is pretty darn a good compromise.
romekjagoda is offline   Reply With Quote