S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum > Outdoor Trails
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Trails Tell us about your favorite outdoor skating trails.

Old January 11th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1
pgick

Default Southern California Trails

I am looking for good trails to inline on in the Southern Calif area. If you have a trail in this area please let me know. I am looking for distance so multiple loop aren't needed to get the miles. I prefer 10 to 20 miles round trip but I would love hearing about any good spots.
I skate Balboa Park a 4 mile loop with good concrete sidewalk, Santa Fe Dam bike trail heading South below the dam. I have only done 15 of the 35 miles one way starting at the Dam end. Rose Bowl works but it is the shortest at 3.3 miles. Irvine has a bike path I tried but the surface let much to be desired. My first and only street skate ended in being hit by a car. So I am going to stick to the bike paths as much as possible. I have skated the beach spots but the thick patches of sand seems to be a problem for me at least the few times I went.
I am near Pasadena/Glendale area. Anyone want to meet for a skate let me know. I am not to fast now until the arm cast is off. 12 mph max it seems until I get my legs back and the cast off. If you skate slower I am fine with that as well. I try to skate some every day if possible and would like to meet other skaters around me.
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #2
ajchien
Trail seeker

I live in LA and usually skate from pacific palisades down to marina del rey. A bit sandy and filled with folks walking.

I have gone to Irvine's bike path and find that pretty nice, but the slopes down and underneath the freeways arent the greatest if you've got a new heel brake on.

Lake Miramar I love, near poway. 6 miles around trip.

There's also the silver strand area from coronado island going south in san diego.

I also like Balboa park.

Tried huntington beach once, but had to dodge lots and lots of people.
ajchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #3
aliceblank

I'm in the Pasadena area and am a beginner. I generally skate the Rose Bowl parking lot. So far I've skated in Parking Lot I, next to the park. It has a bit of a slope, which isn't that great for my beginner-ness: the downward slope makes me gather way more speed than I'm comfortable with.

The main parking lot (Lot K) near the stadium seems a lot flatter ... not sure, haven't tried yet. These guys used to offer inline skating classes there on Sundays, so I guess if it's flat enough for them ...

I've looked into routes at labikepaths.com and caskating.com, and some trails I'm going to check out are Duarte, and Legg Lake (near the Montebello mall).
aliceblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #4
pgick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceblank View Post
I'm in the Pasadena area and am a beginner. I generally skate the Rose Bowl parking lot. So far I've skated in Parking Lot I, next to the park. It has a bit of a slope, which isn't that great for my beginner-ness: the downward slope makes me gather way more speed than I'm comfortable with.

The main parking lot (Lot K) near the stadium seems a lot flatter ... not sure, haven't tried yet. These guys used to offer inline skating classes there on Sundays, so I guess if it's flat enough for them ...

I've looked into routes at labikepaths.com and caskating.com, and some trails I'm going to check out are Duarte, and Legg Lake (near the Montebello mall).
Thanks for the info. Today I just posted a thread called "New Asphalt/ Los Angeles"
Read it. You would like the Santa Fe Dam path. Insanely flat. And they just redid it today. Also Rose Bowl is all redone around the loop.
PM me if you want to go to the Santa Fe Dam I will give you some info a beginner would want to know. ( how to go around the big hill to the top)
pgick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #5
online inline

I'm going to be in San Diego and Annaheim later this summer, so let me know if you know where to go speed skating outdoors in both these areas, if you would.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #6
fit2skate
fit2skate

Hi... I live in Laguna Beach and skate along the beach from Balboa Island to Huntington... it's a 20 mile round trip skate and you could go further if you'd like... either by continuing on or, cutting inland along a river jetty. It's a nice ride... mostly asphalt but, well maintained. The sand isn't too bad as long as you don't go the morning after the winds have kicked up. Speaking of morning... if you're looking for speed, now that it's summer, you gotta go early to avoid the beach traffic along some of the stretches. Hope that this helps!!!

Have fun!!!

Peace...
Rhea
fit2skate is offline   Reply With Quote