S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 12th, 2019, 06:53 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Skating makes you feel better

I skate every weekend. It took away my migraines and helps a lot with heart and blood pressure. Docs like the results.
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:00 PM   #2
zebra1922

I don't believe it, I've found something I agree with ferocious (or pussy cat as I like to think of him).

Skating definitely makes me feel better. Been on the sidelines for 3 weeks after a fall, glad to be back this weekend showing off my poor moves to the populace.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 11:41 PM   #3
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Been having tubeless tire problems with my main bikes. Hit the rink hard last Wednesday. No biking, though I might ride the MTB later. Skated Thurs, but not as hard. I mean, Thursday morning I was SORE from skating, and I slept like a rock after the hard Wednesday session. Had my headphones and skated Still of the Night, about 6 times.

Friday to today, been a little off. Not sick, but not well. Slept a lot. Something working its' way through my system. This will probably be good when I get the bikes back. The legs will be fresh when I hit the bike trail.
Old August 13th, 2019, 01:29 AM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

Anaerobic vs aerobic

Aerobic Exercise Facts

You're likely familiar with the term aerobic from aerobics classes. Aerobic exercise uses oxygen to create energy. During aerobic exercise, the body primarily burns carbohydrates and fats, which can only be done in the presence of oxygen.

Energy for aerobic activity is produced slowly but in great supply. This type of energy primarily powers activities in which your muscles are used in continuous rhythmic or repetitive motions, moderately increasing your heart rate and respiration while building your physical endurance.

Aerobic exercise can be performed for long periods of time, because there is plenty of energy available. Examples include taking an aerobics class, going for a walk, riding the elliptical machine at the gym or running a marathon.

Anaerobic Exercise Facts

The anaerobic definition of exercise is simple: anaerobic energy can be created without oxygen. The body breaks down carbohydrates from blood glucose or glucose stored in muscle to produce energy. It can produce this type of energy very quickly but in limited supply.

This type of energy generally lasts between 30 seconds and three minutes, depending on the intensity of the activity. The more intense the activity is, the faster your body uses its quick anaerobic energy supply. That means you can only sustain very intense activities for a short period of time.

Weight lifting is an example of an anaerobic exercise as are running sprints and explosive jumping. All 0f these activities use anaerobic glycolysis.

So basically we're talking endorphins here.

Anaerobic exercise...roller skating, lack of oxygen, ok, way less endorphins than Aerobic.

Aerobic exercise, 3 hours of racing on speed skates or a bicycle, or your feet, lot's of oxygen lot's of endorphins.

One person's ceiling is another person's floor.
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:29 PM   #5
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Been having tubeless tire problems with my main bikes. Hit the rink hard last Wednesday. No biking, though I might ride the MTB later. Skated Thurs, but not as hard. I mean, Thursday morning I was SORE from skating, and I slept like a rock after the hard Wednesday session. Had my headphones and skated Still of the Night, about 6 times.

Friday to today, been a little off. Not sick, but not well. Slept a lot. Something working its' way through my system. This will probably be good when I get the bikes back. The legs will be fresh when I hit the bike trail.
It's so hot here in Texas that biking is out for me. I need to get back into it but you have to be careful around here, lots of cellphones driving these days. The rink in Lufkin changed it's session times again. Mainly doing 2 hour sessions. So either have to go at night instead of the hot afternoons to get at least my 3 hours/session. Guess I can cruise Wal-Mart... LOL. Got to get back into the cycling. I haven't rode in a year or so. Skating doesn't make me sore at all. Cycling will definitely work my legs over and sometimes I get a little sore. But I also use Ionic Fizz magnesium to stop muscle burn. It works.
Old August 16th, 2019, 12:17 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Skated Wednesday. Only bout an hour. Hard, but not too hard. Left calf is sore as hell about something. But the body sure felt it. Slept nice. Going again tonight. Got my to flat bike wheels back. Won't try riding them until Friday. The back one is still leaking a bit. I set the section of wheel on the floor so it get plenty of sealant. Too bad this is Thursday. My normal skate night. Lots of clouds out. Nice riding weather.
Old August 17th, 2019, 12:13 AM   #7
fierocious1

Quote:
Skated Wednesday. Only bout an hour. Hard, but not too hard. Left calf is sore as hell about something. But the body sure felt it. Slept nice. Going again tonight. Got my to flat bike wheels back. Won't try riding them until Friday. The back one is still leaking a bit. I set the section of wheel on the floor so it get plenty of sealant. Too bad this is Thursday. My normal skate night. Lots of clouds out. Nice riding weather.
you really should try the Ionic fizz magnesium... it really does work. Took muscle burn away the first day I used it. I just use it a little every week to maintain.
Old August 19th, 2019, 09:34 PM   #8
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
you really should try the Ionic fizz magnesium... it really does work. Took muscle burn away the first day I used it. I just use it a little every week to maintain.
I have been wondering about minerals. I used to take a vitamin supplement for many years. Now I take nothing. Just got some Gatorade. I want to see if that gets rid of my leg cramps. Usually, almost cramps. I feel it coming on, usually when a leg is bent, and straighten, or get up to prevent the cramp.
Old August 20th, 2019, 01:31 AM   #9
fierocious1

Quote:
I have been wondering about minerals. I used to take a vitamin supplement for many years. Now I take nothing. Just got some Gatorade. I want to see if that gets rid of my leg cramps. Usually, almost cramps. I feel it coming on, usually when a leg is bent, and straighten, or get up to prevent the cramp.
How I got into using Ionic Fizz magnesoum was from researching muscle issues. I had been having issues with muscles burning as I warmed up. It took over an hour to finally get the muscles to relax so I could start pushing harder during my workout. It got so bad I began to research it. I would go to the rink and dread what was coming. Finally decided to try the Magnesium and it worked the very first day. No burns/cramps at all. Skating became more fun again.
Old August 20th, 2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

One day I'll hve to drop in to champs and skate with ya Lloyd. Go fast! Get kicked out lol.
Old August 21st, 2019, 12:39 AM   #11
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
One day I'll hve to drop in to champs and skate with ya Lloyd. Go fast! Get kicked out lol.
Hard to get kicked out of there. We self regulate according to traffic but when it thins out, it's on. Looking forward to it. Now Champs in KY, that might just happen... lol
Old August 21st, 2019, 10:21 AM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
How I got into using Ionic Fizz magnesoum was from researching muscle issues. I had been having issues with muscles burning as I warmed up. It took over an hour to finally get the muscles to relax so I could start pushing harder during my workout. It got so bad I began to research it. I would go to the rink and dread what was coming. Finally decided to try the Magnesium and it worked the very first day. No burns/cramps at all. Skating became more fun again.
Yeah. I went through a bad period of that. Mine would last about 15 minutes. I fixed that by just being a little fitter. Walk, work out, bike. That seemed to clear it up.
Old August 21st, 2019, 03:47 PM   #13
ursle
Street Skater

This is a belly laugh.
Anyone accepting nutritional advice from these two over 40 BMI "chuckleheads" is going to get "exactly" what advice from "trolls" is worth....nothing.

BMI

What is ideal BMI?
Method 1: Body mass index (BMI) ... A BMI of less than 18.5 means that a person is underweight. A BMI of between 18.5 and 24.9 is ideal. A BMI of between 25 and 29.9 is overweight. A BMI over 30 indicates obesity.Oct 24, 2018

Knees.

Knees aren't organs, knees are a complex point of the body"s mechanisms interacting.

Tendons and Ligaments join the muscles of the upper and lower legs at the knees.
If the muscles of the upper and lower legs aren't elastic with well established blood and oxygen exchange (conditioning over time) they cramp or tighten up with use, when the muscles aren't supple (elastic, lack of blood and oxygen) the Tendons and Ligaments in the knees also cramp or don't elasticize and instead they cause pain, pain which normally the body would acknowledge and diminish by ending that exercise or activity.
But enter "ibuprofen", now the body brain are being tricked and the pain is being managed and the person goes beyond what they normally would do for exercise.
Tendinitis, takes a long time to recover, and an understanding of why.

Anaerobic vs aerobic.

Aerobic Exercise

Aerobic is defined as "living, active, or occurring in the presence of oxygen." So when it comes down to the difference between aerobic and anaerobic exercise, oxygen is the key factor.

With aerobic exercise, oxygen supplies energy to sustain continuous, rhythmic movements of large muscles. Slow-twitch muscle fibers are able to move and contract repeatedly without fast fatigue.

The body likewise uses carbohydrate and glycogen stores as its primary fuel source during the initial 20 minutes. After 20 minutes of constant movement, the body starts to burn body fat to power the muscles and body. This is known as "aerobic fat-burning."

Aerobic exercises include jogging and running, brisk walking, cycling, dancing, and canoeing. Really, any activity that elevates heart rate counts as aerobic exercise.

Anaerobic Exercise

Unlike aerobic, anaerobic exercises occur in the absence of oxygen. Instead, anaerobic exercise relies on energy breakdown from muscle stores rather than oxygen supply during aerobic activity.

Also unlike aerobic exercise and their constant flow of movement, anaerobic exercise is short in duration at high-intensity levels. It often uses fast-twitch muscle fibers to carry out short bursts of high-powered exercises.

Anaerobic exercise is typically unable to be carried out for more than two to three minutes at a time. Eventually, muscles will tire, weaken, feel discomfort, and require a break. Breaks within repetitions allow muscles to rest and the exerciser to "catch their breath." The resting phase is then transitioned to aerobic exercise.

Anaerobic exercises to try include sprints, weightlifting, high jumping, and high-intensity interval training. These exercises are suggested to increase muscular size and strength, along with creating the "afterburn effect." Officially known as excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), the afterburn helps burn more calories after the vigorous activity is completed.

Interestingly, too, all exercises start out as anaerobic exercise as the body starts to undertake and adapt to the workout. Activities such as basketball and soccer tend to require both anaerobic and aerobic fuel sources.

Key Differences

To sum it up, key differences between aerobic and anaerobic include:

The use of oxygen is what allows distance runners to cover several miles over long periods of time. Sprint runners, on the other hand, use anaerobic systems to power short distances quickly.

Slow-twitch muscle fibers are primarily used during aerobic activity, while fast-twitch muscle fibers are contracted during anaerobic activity.

Aerobic exercise is performed steadily, which is great for cardiovascular conditioning and muscular endurance. Anaerobic exercise is quick in duration and results to greater strength. However, building a tolerance to fatigue during anaerobic exercise can also enhance performance.

So, roller skating is an anaerobic exercise, very little oxygen use, it's basically a good way to stretch.

While Inline racing or actual roller skate racing is aerobic, a good workout for the heart and lungs.

Again, take any gear or nutrition advice from these yo-yo's with a lot of salt.

Well, or take the advice of anaerobic skaters (lack of oxygen) with BMI's over 40
Old August 21st, 2019, 06:06 PM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Lmao where do you get the idea that I have a BMI of 40?

Skating can be either type of workout buddy, depending on how hard you skate.
Old August 21st, 2019, 07:16 PM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:

Before you cut your hair.( I wasn't referring to you)

Yes, Speed skating for hours on roller skates counts, but that's not what goes on with these 40bmi types.

Not that there's anything wrong with having a BMI over 40, I'm simply suggesting other's take such advice with a grain of salt.
Old August 21st, 2019, 11:21 PM   #16
fierocious1

Quote:

Left in the dust.... LOL
Old August 22nd, 2019, 10:09 AM   #17
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Before you cut your hair.( I wasn't referring to you)

before I cut my hair? Lol. I don't follow. Even when my BMI was technically at its highest I wasnt overweight 195# @ 6" 1'

Yes, Speed skating for hours on roller skates counts, but that's not what goes on with these 40bmi types.

Not that there's anything wrong with having a BMI over 40, I'm simply suggesting other's take such advice with a grain of salt.

Saltlogforum.com
Old August 22nd, 2019, 02:20 PM   #18
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Before I cut my hair? Lol. I don't follow. Even when my BMI was technically at its highest I wasn't overweight 195# @ 6" 1'

So then sampson, no sense of humor either.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 07:20 PM   #19
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
So then sampson, no sense of humor either.
Oh just that "before you cut your hair" just seems like you attributing me being plump back then. I figured you were jonesing, but the structure of your grammar looked askew.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 11:40 AM   #20
Dazzler

This thread has gone weird. It seems skating makes you feel better but posting about it on a skating forum gets you attacked with some weird pseudoscience?

I wear a fitness tracker which constant monitors my heart rate (which I know is imperfect but is still a decent guide) and I can assure anyone that rink skating is a good aerobic exercise. It's obviously not as good as knocking out a couple of quick inline half marathons a week but a couple of hours on the rink can be both excellent aerobic and anaerobic exercise during the same session. I don't think I sweat as much as I do on a hard inline skate as I do when working on jumps at the rink. The core engagement is intense as well. I'm only at a very beginner stage but even waltz jumps and 1 legged 180s as a precursor to loop jumps take serious effort when they are new to you. Getting from arabesque into shoot the duck and back to arabesque without letting your 'shooting leg' touch the floor takes serious effort in terms of strength and speed. Learning to have full control on heels and toes, forwards, backwards and sideways requires both aerobic and anaerobic effort. (And that's before you even account for the effects of the combination of short term terror followed by elation when you try something scary and new on your metabolism.)

The same is also true for a session at a skate park as that can also be excellent aerobic and anaerobic exercise in the same session. Personally I think the best way to do it is to combine it all. My ideal week includes 2 or 3 rink sessions, 2 or 3 long outdoor inline skates, 1 skatepark session, 1 session of slalom or just a slow session of training fundamentals on my inlines. Each type of skating compliments the other as well as just being absolutely great fun in and of themselves.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote