S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old November 25th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #1
cass38a

Default Funky Skates

My training partner has a broken down car and has reverted to using a motorbike to get to training. He has given me his skates to look after and they are rank. They stunk out the car, they are now stinking out the house. I have no shed or garage and will be stuck with the barstards until Saturday morning.

Any ideas to solve this before my girl comes over Friday night?
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #2
kufman

I have heard that kitty litter in a sock works but never tried it myself.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #3
Vadn1

Vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #4
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Default trash it!

Take a trash bag, put them in it. Tie it off. Put that bag in another trash bag. Tie that one off as well.

If you want to be a pal, and solve the stinky boots theres a few things that you can do.

#1. Wash them.
Because the best way to remove the smell is not to mask it, but remove the root cause.

Get a sock, some warm water and laundry detergent.
Mix a few cups of hot water with the detergent, at a pretty robust strength.

Remove anything from the inside of the boots that is possible, like a footbed/insole. A old toothbrush is good for scrubbing insoles and other fabrics. Simply wet and scrub in the sink.

Take the solution and wet the sock, stuff your hand down in the boots with the sock to kind of "mop out" the boot. You are effectively removing the body soil from the boots, which is whats stinking. It will always stink until it is removed. While it can be masked, it wont stop until all the skin cells and oils are completely broken down.

Rinse the boot by using clean hot water for the sock this time, rinsing the sock off/out a few times. Just wipe out the inside of the boot several times. Most of the funk is coming from the insole area.

You can dry the boot by using a sock or towel that is dry in the same way. Finish up with a hair dryer for a minuite or 2, preferably one that has a fan and heat setting separate so you can use a lower heat but high fan speed.

#2 just spray them with lysol crisp linen

This stuff works great, and even keeps nasty rental skates fresh. Just soak them down and chuck them in a trash bag for a bit, air them out a little later. This works best if you do #1 first.

Get your buddy to scrub his feet before he skates, to use socks, and to regularly spray his boots out.

I have been using my vanilla freestyle for 2 years and it doesnt stink. I skate hard as crap, my feet sweat, but the boots have virtually no odor. I have sprayed them about 10 times in the course of 2 years. I dont have to spray them because my normal thing is showering before session because of my work schedules. I scrub my feet every time. When you get done with a lufa or wash cloth chuck it in the floor and rake your feet on it real hard, grinding away any loose skin. This way it doesnt end up in your boots rotting and making people run away. Good clean socks will help keep what skin is lost inside them. The thinner the sock the faster they become saturated with skin cells. And the sooner they start to stink as well.

Excessive moisture would smell like mildew, if it doest smell like mildew its skin.

Same thing goes for my work boots, they smell like boots, not like rotten feet because they always have clean feet with ckean socks put in them. Even if my feet sweat alot on humid nights and my feet end up wrinkled looking the boots are still without odor.

Maybe buy your pal a couple dozen socks for a gift this christmas or w/e you celebrate so he can always have some clean ones.