S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 13th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1
graphixgurl

Question Plates, Plates.....oh my!

Hi,
I know this is a topic that has probably been discussed to death. And I'm sorry to add another post (mod, kill this if you deem fit) but I'm just so freaking confused. I've tried to read and research the plates that I've heard about through either this forum or through other skaters in my league (I play roller derby woot!) but I know it would help to have a more refined discussion on the matter with regard to my specifics as a skater. At least it would make me feel better.

Some info about me: I just got Bont boots (the hybrid carbon boot) and I'm trying to figure out the best plates for me. I've been skating on the Reidell Wicked package for the last 2 years - they have PowerDyne DynaPro plates. Well, I had a sabbatical for about 4 months in broken ankle land so a tad less than that. I'm pretty damn sure these are not the right boots for me (not even considering the weight issue). My feet constantly hurt and ache and sometimes I feel like I'm carrying bricks on my feet. It was hellish to switch to these from my old figure skates (yep, roller figure skater in the house) and I spent about 5 months leaving practice crying that my feet were the enemy.

I don't for a second think I'll put on a new setup on and magically be Bonnie Thunders. It would just be nice to be able to not think about how much my damn feet hurt and just concentrate on skating. The hypothesis is that maybe they are too big and my feet are constantly trying to "grab" the skate and thus constantly ache. I also had to go to a cobbler and have them widen my right boot at the top of the foot since I developed a bone spur from all the pressure on my foot from skating and pushing. In fact I've rubbed a HUGE hole in the back of my right boot (on the right) that is down to cardboard. The skate shop said it's ok, I don't think so.

Anyway, sorry for the TMI.

The plates I've heard mentioned the most are the revenge, reactor and the DA45 (Avenger MG, XK4, Invader) degree plates. I honestly don't know alot. So I'd rather get the opinion of other skaters and derby peeps.

Quite a few girls on my league have the bont/revenge setup and seem to like it. I block and jam (more a blocker but trying to improve the jamming) and I'm 5 ft tall and about average weight. I'm currently rocking the superthin heartless wheels and like them so I don't have any plans to skate on a wider wheel anytime soon. I'm honestly not the fastest skater around so it will be interesting to see if a lighter setup will help me out a little.

I would like to spend around $200-250 or so (I can be a little flexible if the plates are awesome). Obviously the lighter the better but I don't need top of the line as I realize you can spend an obscene amount of money on anything derby related.

I know the bont boots are super light and want something better than my current setup. I do not care how blingy they are or what they look like, I just want them to perform well.

Also, I've read that the sizing on various plates is not the same as boots and a completely different beast. What's up with that? How the heck is a girl supposed to figure out the size of plates? My current skates are a Reidell 5.5, the bonts that I just bought are a 5 wide, and I'm normally a 7.5 or 8 women's normal shoes.

Thank you so much for any input!!
Sketch E. Artist, Tampa Bay Derby Darlins

P.S. The Bonts are on our team and said you all (esp. Doc Skate) would be a great resource!

P.P.S. I know this is a SUPER long post, sorry.
graphixgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default You got a Bont??

You need a magnesium Avenger.. Just that simple... Other opinions will vary but nothing works better for derby in your budget range (and it will not blow it all) than a Mag Avenger...

As far as the size.... your Bonts are = to a 6 wide Riedell essentially... I would put a 1 on them.. Some folks may build them shorter.... or longer.... Yeah, it's confusing but there are folks here that know their stuff and have been building derby specific sk8s for years...
I see you have posted this on the derby forum as well.. Probably should decide which one to keep and which one to delete... Having it in 2 places is confusing..
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #3
graphixgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
You need a magnesium Avenger.. Just that simple... Other opinions will vary but nothing works better for derby in your budget range (and it will not blow it all) than a Mag Avenger...

As far as the size.... your Bonts are = to a 6 wide Riedell essentially... I would put a 1 on them.. Some folks may build them shorter.... or longer.... Yeah, it's confusing but there are folks here that know their stuff and have been building derby specific sk8s for years...
First, thank you Doc! I realized I posted this in the wrong place and reposted it in roller derby forum but don't know how to delete it from here and don't want to be annoying by double posting.

Second, are my current skates the wrong size (or hell, the ones I just got) if they seem to be equivalent to a size 6 riedell? Just thought it was an interesting point. I tried the boots on that I just bought at the Bont's house and they feel snug (in a good way).
=)
Sketch
graphixgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphixgurl View Post
First, thank you Doc! I realized I posted this in the wrong place and reposted it in roller derby forum but don't know how to delete it from here and don't want to be annoying by double posting.

Second, are my current skates the wrong size (or hell, the ones I just got) if they seem to be equivalent to a size 6 riedell? Just thought it was an interesting point. I tried the boots on that I just bought at the Bont's house and they feel snug (in a good way).
=)
Sketch

Delete it by erasing everything in the box and and then changing the heading to delete. Hopefully the mods will pick up on it..

If the boots fit wear 'em.. That "equivalent" I use is for ball parking the size... Note. I wear 9 Riedells and 8 regular or 7 1/2 Wide Bonts..

Tags
equipment, plates, roller derby