S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aggressive Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to vert skating, skatepark tricks, aggressive street skating, action sports events, and the aggressive skating lifestyle.

Old August 30th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #1
ndragon88

Default How to make a prail HELP!

Hey guys I NEED a prail lol. I can make a base easily but i need to know how the hell ppl put the pvc on wood and it stays. They dont cut anything off the pvc so its either bolted down or glued on. Can ppl give me ideas plz.

thnx
ndragon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2
fablemaker2
Pathological skater

In a few places, drill holes all the way through. You use two different drill bits: the 1st time through, use a bit that is big enough just to fit the threads of the screw through. On the 2nd time through, use a bit that is big enough to fit the head of the screw through, but only drill one side of the pipe. Then, put the pipe down where it needs to go (big hole on top), and use a magnetic screwdriver to carefully insert the screw through the hole, and then screw it into the wood. You can do this with metal pipe, too (recommended, as pvc can break/crack).
fablemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3
killerboots

um here is the best help u can get
http://forums.rollerwarehouse.com/fo...ic.php?t=26551 try this its good but i recommend making a funbox and buyin a p-rail
killerboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2006, 06:30 AM   #4
jeppen
Deshi Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerboots View Post
um here is the best help u can get
http://forums.rollerwarehouse.com/fo...ic.php?t=26551 try this its good but i recommend making a funbox and buyin a p-rail
Yeah actually that is mine. Um i beleive though that the pvc is 1 1/2inches in diamater not 2 1/2.
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #5
customstevo

wood and pvc equals fun for like 2 days, you can drill though the top layer and then woodscrew through that (2"pvc) the problem is making a sturdy wood base, because sessions shred hard, and wood warps, you could think about using J bolts (like for masonry) you drill a hole through the bottom and then put the J bolt in and wrench them down every so feet, i highly recomend investing in a solid metal rail, because wood strucures arnt going to be very veristile holding a rail 2 ft in the air, get a nice long galvanized metal 2" thick rail and weld it, either research welding or find a friend to do a more proffesional job
customstevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 01:49 PM   #6
nick0

draw up some plans that basically outline the design you want, then go to a shop near where u live (there bound to be one) that works with metal and ask them to weld it for you, it will cost like $10 for the materials if u want real nice sliding metal and about 15$ for labor
Old September 9th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #7
lee-mcdonald
the best member

when i was putting the coping on my mini spine ramp i used "liquid nails" its an industrial strength glue and its for pvc and its still on there, just go 2 a hardware store and ask 4 industrial glue for attachin pvc to wood(er w/e your base is made of) o and i also used skrews(only 4 though)
lee-mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #8
nick0

yeh liquid nails is awsome but u gotta fill pvc with something otherwise it will crack (if your big and heavy like me)
Old September 15th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #9
ndragon88

Its complete! I drilled holes through the pvc into the wood.Slides like a dream.
I have a vid when i first made it but its very laggy on youtube so i took it off. It was very unstable when i first made it. if anyone wants to see the vid add me on msn darkndragon@hotmail.com and ill send u it.
After 2 days it was way to unstable so i bought some brackets and now its perfect lol doesnt move at all

^^^thats it complete, very stable now

Last edited by ndragon88; September 17th, 2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #10
Eckzhall92

Wow, that looks great!

I'm taking the easy way out, though, and just buying one
Eckzhall92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM   #11
ndragon88

ok i took it to my local park and put it next to some waxed ledges and was switching from rail to ledge. The wax from my skates rubbed off on the pvc and now the pvc doesnt slide very well can someone help me lol how do i get it to slide like it used to
Old September 24th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #12
lee-mcdonald
the best member

id say just use water n wash it off
Old September 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #13
ndragon88

I tried washing it off and i also tried scrubbing it off. It still doesnt slide very well. so now what does this mean. does anyone know what would happen if i waxed it propperly, would i slide? or would it not?
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #14
hungryrollerblader
..The weird kid in school

if it doesn't slide now, then you have nothing to lose, attempting to wax it. I think you should try it.
hungryrollerblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #15
lee-mcdonald
the best member

Default always seems 2 fix it

when my rail ...made of metal so i dont no if itll work 4 you...gets messed up cuz i used bad wax or something i just leave it outside for a week. The rain and the cold at night seem 2 fix it somehow, i dont no what it is but it works
Old October 2nd, 2006, 09:56 AM   #16
ndragon88

ok i washed it again then dried it. put 1 layer of wax and it slides even better than when i first got it lol i love my prail only problem now is it rains all the damn time
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:17 AM   #17
nooblader

Thumbs up My new prail

Hey, I just made my first prail and it was soo easy to make. Hella fun too! I basically used the same design as you did for yours but I used wooden brackets instead of the metal ones. Thanks for posting your prail pic btw. It really helped me decide what design I should use. Here's a picture of the finished rail. I'll add an edit of it to youtube soon. Cheers!

nooblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM   #18
nooblader

Post quick edit

Ok, here's the p-rail edit I promised. Note that I've only been skating for 2 weeks now so it's not that good. Here's the link.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hwY-6B3f4C0

Feel free to give some input!
I'll make a better edit as soon as I get my camera working right.
nooblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #19
lee-mcdonald
the best member

cool, nice element shirt.lol..*cough*woodpusher*cough* jk man...n-e ways keep at it and dont make a habbit of setpping onto your grinds..its a really hard habbit 2 lose, believe me, jst keep preacticing and DONT step up 2 yer grinds...the frontsides were good though
Old December 24th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #20
theme music
skate well. fall hard.

how high + long are your prails?