S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Unhappy Snyder Super Deluxe Pivot Cup issue??

Hi- I recently bought a gorgeous pair of skates. The plates, wheels and even the stopper look brand new. I have a problem though I am dying to skate but when I got them I checked them thoroughly and noticed that the kingpin moves side to side a bit mainly on 2. One of them you can actually see it move on the metal part where the rubber bushons are! I wont skate on them like that. I know I wont get the performance they really have and I dont want to ruin them if they aren't already. It seems the person who owned them did a lot of figure skating by just noticing how loose the trucks are. I know you can adjust the the kingpin in the pivot cup for how you feel you want it but I want it tight. I know it should not move around that much. I am having a hard time to find anyone who knows anything about this. I think I am going to have to inspect it myself and try to adjust it right. Hopefully it is just an adjustment. I do have pictures not of my skates but of others showing exactly the area I am talking about I am sure you know though. Please get back to me on this. Ask me anything I can answer no problem. I never had to deal with this issue before. From-Michelleand
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Have you read the book??

http://www.snyderskates.com/products_manual.htm#4

I am a bit perplexed by your description...First I need to know what model of Snyder Super Deluxe you have. Figure, regular, one of the lite versions.... Then we can go from there...
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #3
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Thumbs up Super Deluxe-regular

Hi-I am glad to see you wrote back. There are only 2 super deluxe models I have the regular one not the lite. I was thinking of taking it apart myself and checking it butI got to get allen keys. I know that it shouldn't move in the pivot cup as much as it does. I'll be waiting for you...........THANKS

PS I can send you photos of my skates if you want then you can really see what I am talking about
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Snyder mystry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk82BME View Post
Hi-I am glad to see you wrote back. There are only 2 super deluxe models

I guess it is how you look at it... I throw all the Deluxe plates in a general category, so I see 6... Super and Super lite, Dance and Dance lite with Figure and figure lite bringing up the end of the list.

You are correct there are only 2 Super Deluxe styles....Sorry for the confusion...

I have the regular one not the lite. I was thinking of taking it apart myself and checking it but I got to get Allen keys. I know that it shouldn't move in the pivot cup as much as it does. I'll be waiting for you...........THANKS

PS I can send you photos of my skates if you want then you can really see what I am talking about
Pix are always nice....... but if the pivot pin is moving in the pivot cup the pivot could just as easily be maladjusted.... That does not require Allen keys...
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Default you 2 were right

I wasn't thinking about the dance plates,lite plates etc. but anyway I can do better than a picture! You let me know if this is a good idea I think it is-I can post a couple minute video say on youtube post the link and show you in the vid exactly what I mean so you can see it on "tv" I will show you on the vid what is wrong so you can see with your own eyes. I am dying to skate again after a loooooooong time and I get these and find an issue I do not think I should skate on them loose like this. As soon as you give me the answer I will record a quick vid of the issue explaining and showing you the problem-sound good? Write Soon-THANKS A BUNCH

PS I want to adjust it but I want to make sure I do it correctly
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Works for me.

I love movies..... You are obviously far deeper into the mixed media universe than I am....
Old December 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #7
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Wink Do you want 2 see a movie

Hi again- So I take it you wont mind viewing my problem I need to get to the bottom of this b4 I go crazy-Even more I want to go skating-ASAP I will put together a quick vid. so u can see exactly what I am talking about then we can go from there OK??
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Show me the video!!

Quote:
Hi again- So I take it you wont mind viewing my problem I need to get to the bottom of this b4 I go crazy-Even more I want to go skating-ASAP I will put together a quick vid. so u can see exactly what I am talking about then we can go from there OK??
I got the popcorn right here....
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Default Here is a short clip very frustrated and tired

Click on my page and just check out the skate vid I only have 3 vids up so u will see it-I couldn't get it on here and I have been up all night and need some sleep I will make a much better understanding video 4 u because I want to skate so bad and dont want to skate with them loose like that I dont want to strip the kingpin you know
(http://www.youtube.com/user/L3ft2D13) I will make a better 1 and show you a comparison to another pair I have

Last edited by Sk82BME; December 22nd, 2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: 1st link did not work
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default OK.....

From what I can see you have a loose king pin adjustment. That is why the trucks wobble between the cushions. That in an of itself is not necessarily a bad thing. I know a lot of sk8rs that run their actions that loose.

Below is the break down of your Super Deluxe plate.

Adjusting the action requires loosening the crossbar hex nut (10) and tightening the big bolt (king pin 18) then tightening the crossbar hex nut (10) again. NOTE: Your king pins are special Allen bolts, not the hex heads shown in the diagram..

Having the pivot pin moving in the cup is a different story. It needs to be correctly adjusted. Follow these instructions below...

Hopefully this will get you where you need to be....
Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:18 AM   #11
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Thumbs up Thank U

Hi -Thanks a lot for the diagram. I had a diagram but of just a quad skate I was trying to go by but your of course is MUCH BETTER because it is for the exact skate I have. I hope you dont need an allen key for this I have none. I dont think you need it for that adjustment?? Now I must get to work on this and get skating again!

THANK U THANK U THANK U

*~MERRY CHRISTMAS~*
&
A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR
2 U
Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:42 AM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Allen Key..

YOU need one for the king pin adjustment.
Old December 25th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #13
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Default I knew it

Thanks 4 letting me know-Now I must get 1 there is always something stalling me to get back to skating-THANKS 4 EVERYTHING
Old December 25th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #14
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

pretty cheap to buy. a whole set should be about 5 or 10 bucks, or you can even buy a single wrench at some places...
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #15
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Wink Thanks 4 your help

I do believe my mother has a set so I will have to get there

Last edited by Sk82BME; December 29th, 2008 at 12:52 PM. Reason: wrong spelling! lol
Old December 29th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #16
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Default allen keys and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
YOU need one for the king pin adjustment.
I put on the skates the other night and just rolled around the house for a minute I was saying OMG I cannot skate with these the back of one is so loose its aweful. Now I take it I need the allen keys to take of the little nuts under the trucks I need to do some serious surgery on these I think. I have an old pair from like maybe 1980 and they are strong as can be. Do you think maybe someone put in the wrong size kingpin? I got to get this done but its hard for me to get around right now my car has no insurance
Old December 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #17
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Continue to hang on.

Quote:
I put on the skates the other night and just rolled around the house for a minute I was saying OMG I cannot skate with these the back of one is so loose its aweful. Now I take it I need the allen keys to take of the little nuts under the trucks

OK, the Allen key is used to turn the king pin to adjust the tension of the action. You need a 3/4" wrench to loosen the king pin lock nut. Once the nut is loosened about 1/4 to 1/2 turn, you should be able to tighten the king pin some with the Allen wrench to firm up your action. Then tighten the heck out of the nut. Readjust the pivot pin as necessary...

I need to do some serious surgery on these I think. I have an old pair from like maybe 1980 and they are strong as can be.

A new pair from the 21st century are close to yours.....

Do you think maybe someone put in the wrong size kingpin?

Judging from the pictures you posted, I'd say not....

I got to get this done but its hard for me to get around right now my car has no insurance
I'd say you have something more serious to deal with....
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #18
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Unhappy kingpin/pivot cup more than that?

so are you saying that I might have a bigger issue than just a tightening of the kingpin in the pivot cup?

Last edited by Sk82BME; January 4th, 2009 at 06:18 AM. Reason: forgot title
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #19
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Default pictures??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I'd say you have something more serious to deal with....
I didn't post any pictures??? I had the 1 short video that was basically a waste because I couldnt do it right thoughI can redo it
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #20
Sk82BME
Sk8tngISMyLyf

Default I a most certain

Quote:
I didn't post any pictures??? I had the 1 short video that was basically a waste because I couldnt do it right thoughI can redo it
That I have either or both kingpin/pivot cup issue by me looking at it. I just need those allen keys so I can get this going to hopefully fix this. I thought I was going to get these skates and just go but nope not with my luck. The person who owned them paid new almost 900.00 $'s for these and I know they did by the plate wheels and the boot. I must fix these I must skate ASAP
Closed Thread