S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old March 1st, 2012, 05:04 AM   #1
PinkFlord73

Smile Wheels to combo or not to combo

I have been skating since i could walk, i have been playing derby however for only 2 months. I love it and just up graded to a bont boot with invaders, i got bones swiss on them i feel the plates are very responsive but i get a little squirrley in my crossovers (any suggestions to loosen or tighten) but manly what new wheels to get.

i am currently rolling fugitives 92a(blue ones) and my used "new" skates had cannibals 98 i think(orange) i tried them but they are like a slip and slide.

we practice on polished(kinda dirty) concrete but some bouts are on sports floors and what not.

i would like wheels that grip better than my fugitives but i don't want to loose my speed i would be willing to combo if it would give me an edge.
some of the girls on my team say poisons (i tried them and they are responsive but way to slow) i'm 5'8 and 200lbs so no squishies will work. some say reckless wheels and i was looking into heartless but am open to everything

also $75 - $125 is my budget
PinkFlord73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM   #2
ShellLillian

Personally I think a combo is only worth it if for some reason you can't get the wheels you want in a full set of 8 in the duro you want, or if you are on a floor you don't usually skate on and are putting together 2 other sets to make something work.
If you have the option, it's probably always better to just get a set of 8 in a durometer you like best.
Selina Vyle #321
Nike Jr. Mercurial Victory II/Magnesium Avenger/Super Reds/Jukes or Canns.
ShellLillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Negative Nancy
Mrs Self Destruct

Read the 'slim wheels' post right next to this one. It talks about mixed setups.

There is no advantage to having mixed wheels, only disadvantage (in my experience). If you are sliding and need more grip, get a set of 8 wheels that will give you enough grip.
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:48 PM   #4
16blue

Like I said in the other thread, since I'm being cheap for the moment, I'm skating four slim Poisons and four Heartless Breakers...

Definitely agree that the "pusher" thing is overrated, but this set-up is working for me for now.

I definitely wouldn't want to skate a full set of Poisons (especially the wide ones), but mixing them with the Heartless means I've still got decent roll.
16blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM   #5
Acid Burn
Rollerskatin' Parts Wench

FWIW I've got a bunch of wheels for sale if you're on a budget.
Acid Burn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combo wheels, plates, wheels