S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #1
n-sane

Default Falling

What drills do some of you do...seems like some girls are afraid of it......oh yeah concrete is hard
n-sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Beastly
Ohio Roller Girls

Our coaches do drills where they have everyone skating at the same time (our league has about 60+, so it encourages the girls to check their shoulders constantly), and they will call out a fall and blow the whistle. Everyone falls, and the coach counts extremely loud "1.. 2.. 3... Up! Up! Up! Up!". They say within 3 seconds you should be back up and making your way back to the pack. And as we are getting up and onto our feet, they might yell "Sprint! That first 20 feet is a sprint! You need to catch up to the pack!" They will also remind us when we are getting up to not use our fingers, and to "Fall Small" - one of the most important parts of falling. Make your hands into fists if you have to push off the ground.

We do double knee, 1 knee drags, baseball slides and 4-point falls.

A few things you could do for drills:
  • Have everyone stay stationary, start on their knees and just have them pop up onto their toe stops. Then back down to their knees. That way, they get that motion down so hopefully it just becomes habit.
  • Have them pop up, toe stop run or duck walk - which ever they are more comfortable doing - a few feet, and go back down. To get that motion of popping up and sprinting.
  • Have them skate, fall, and curl into a ball (fetal position) as they hit the ground and stay there. Then have them do that again and again. That will help them learn to pull their limbs in when they hit the ground and "fall small", so they don't trip people by flailing around on the track. Then put those all together for a full drill.

As far as people that are afraid to fall, remind them that they have all those pads on for a reason. Also, allowing yourself to fall is not the normal reaction, but it is something they will HAVE to get used to. It's not "if you fall", it's "when you fall". And fall. And fall, and fall. The main thing, I would say, is to beat it into their heads to not fight the fall. Because that is when people get hurt. They try to force their weight in a different direction than gravity is taking them, which puts immense stress on their joints, bones, and mucsles. We've seen a few broken/fractured ankles and wrists from doing that exact thing. It can also cause pulled or strained muscles. When they go down, they need to learn to relax themselves. Let their body go limp, especially when they fall in a pile.

Hope that helps a little.
Old July 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #3
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Just some ideas. I find most girls are TERRIFIED of falling and the #1 reason is lack of experience and tightness in the body. If the person is afraid, I recommend learning to fall and roll in the grass first. Tumbling. To get used to the idea of relaxing through it, having knees bent and lose, not fearing it. Then learn to slide on the concrete. I think until the person can losen up, falling will be much harder. Grass isnt hard to hit for the first time.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #4
AceFace
Ace in your FACE!

i am our league's fresh meat coach, and i find the easiest way is to explain why it's so important, tell them all the stuff that was said above. then i have them skate and when i yell "FALL" they better fall the way i've taught them or they do push ups. that may seem harsh, but it gets those girls over the fear pretty quickly when they're forced to do it.

i mean, this is DERBY. you KNOW when you get into it that you're going to be getting rough and you're going to fall. so trial by fire is the best way, in my opinion, to toughen them up. they're gonna have to learn and they're going to have to do it a lot, so why not start as the first thing you learn and get that fear over with.
AceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #5
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Take them to the skatepark lol. They WILL learn to fall.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #6
n-sane

Default thanks all

actually I had heard of one of the other local leagues going to skatepark and comming back with busted lips and spraines....pass
n-sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Awwww, wimping out lol? I'm teeny tiny and I go almost everyday. Hey, I'll teach ya! Its all about balance really. Just keep your shoulders, knees and feet all in line (lean forward with UR head way in front) and keep your knees relaxed and lose. Bounce up and down pumping the ramps with UR upper body, spin on UR back heels and UR set!! When U hit, use UR knee pads, stay loose and sliiide.

And I thought I wasnt tough enough for derby????? I think I might do OK, woo-hoo!
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #8
SkateMall

What do you think about just blind siding the new girls one time just so they are no longer afraid of getting hit ,
SkateMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM   #9
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

Beastly has it right on. Practice falls every practice, with pop ups and sprints after each fall. Letting falls happen is so key. It's so much faster to take a single knee or even a double knee fall than to try and fight it to stay up. You can put that knee down and be back in it so fast and you are stable and safe.

Fear of falling--nothing gets you over that except contant practice. Remember to slide into those double knee falls, don't just drop onto your pads. You always want to slide whenever possible to avoid needless knee impacts.
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote