S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Closed Thread

Old October 10th, 2006, 10:04 PM   #1
ERIN S

Default Need Help Buying Skates and Wheels

Hello everyone- I am trying out for our local roller girl team, and right now I am skating on wheels from Hell (no, not that they are fast, they are hellish) - I am going to upgrade before the try-outs in a month, and want to skate on them for a while.

I have been looking at some mid level Riedell's (711 Track, 122 Speed, 795 Thrust) but I am looking for suggestions re: wheels, skates and bearings.
I am looking to spend about $200 on skates, and will upgrade the wheels (need grippy) and bearings (probably won't go past an 8 mm) - boots have to be low, and trucks adjustable action.

Ladies, please, offer your suggestions. I know this is probably an individual preference thing, but I NEED YOUR HELP!
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:29 AM   #2
hikkergurl

I'm not an expert on Roller Derby skates, however I just pruchased a new set up from www.lowpriceskates.com. They were very helpful and had really good prices. Ask for Mike.
Good Luck!
Liz
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #3
GND

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikkergurl View Post
I'm not an expert on Roller Derby skates, however I just pruchased a new set up from www.lowpriceskates.com. They were very helpful and had really good prices. Ask for Mike.
Good Luck!
Liz
I was just about to post that link. I'm getting some speed skates from there. My derby bootcamp coach has seen me skate and suggest some really good ones under $150
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #4
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Another great place to buy skates is www.netskate.com. If you have any skate question, call their number and talk to Karen. As a skater herself, she can help you out with most of the questions you have.

As for the skates, the 122 is a great mid-level boot. Sunlight makes a very good plate, lifetime guarantee and comes in several colors. For wheels, I'd pick a speed wheel. A great wheel for the money is the Hyper Witch Doctor. If you're looking for low-priced, good bearings, I'd go with Powell China Bones. They're less than $30 for a set of 16 and spin forever.

The skate I just put together cost $276 at netskate and $271 at lowpricedskates. If you buy the whole thing from netskate, call and talk to Karen. She'll most likely discount it, since it's a complete skate. They also do the assembly, for a fee. (as most places will) Most places will also match other competitor's pricing (with the exception of backstreetinline, no one matches his pricing).

Good luck w/ the Derby skating.
Old November 21st, 2006, 06:06 PM   #5
dimahdarling
Rollergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Sunlight makes a very good plate, lifetime guarantee and comes in several colors..
Don't ever buy Sunlites for derby skating, in fact don't buy nylon plates for Derby, they will tear up very soon and you'll start having problems quickly. Always go with metal plates. Yes, Hyper Witch Doctors, the Bones Reds and the 122 will last you a long time and are great choices. If I was to recommend an entry level plate for Derby it would be the SGI XK-4 Doubler.

I'm a rollergirl and I sell custom setups, you can call me anytime, just email me at dimahdarling@gmail.com and I will tell you the lowdown on what to expect and the best derby skate for you would be, no crapola.
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #6
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

It is probably too early to know what position you will be playing eventually, but that is something to consider later. While nylon plates don't last as long, if you are a jammer you may want the nylon plates and hubs to save on weight. For a beginner, the extra weight of aluminum may actually help with conditioning.

I skate on 125s with powerdyne nylon plates, speed mounted, and fugitive wheels when indoors. The 125 has a speed strap that I find very helpful to get the skate tight enough for good control, but not so tight as to put your feet to sleep. Also, it allows fast adjustment on the fly when halfway through a practice your skates feel looser from the constant use. I recommend the speed strap.

I also prefer a boot without a lot of padding (122, 125, etc.) as opposed to the padded ankles (new 265's), but it does take much longer to break in and you will get blisters. But when you get them broken in, you have more control over the skate and it will last longer in my humble opinion. Others feel totally different and really like the padding. I think it takes away from my ability to totally control the skate and I pay for it in a little blood.

About wheels--this really depends on what surface you are skating on. I think the best are the Radar Tuners, but they are pricey and super grippy (for sport court floors, polished cement, etc.). I find the fugitives grippy enough for my use (unpolished sealed cement and roll on-coated rink). Some girls put an extra grippy on the pushing wheel (top left of each skate) and cheaper wheels on the others to get the best of both.

Bearings--I use Kwik 9 bearings which are relatively inexpensive, but can be cleaned without too much difficulty. They are fast enough not to slow down a skilled skater, but not so fast that they will take out a beginner.

Ivanna at Sin City Skates can also help you select a combination that will meet your needs and budget. www.sincityskates.com

Best of luck,
Snatch
New Orleans, Louisiana
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #7
Ivana

I like the Tuners.
I also like padded boots I think that the 265s are a happy medium. And you can get them without the padded collar.
Old June 9th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #8
AceFace
Ace in your FACE!

i just have to comment here even though you've prolly long bought those skates. i LOVE the Sure-Grip Twister wheel. it's great on roll-on. they're grippy and you can practically run through those corners. i highly recommend them with some china bones.
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #9
LISAFER144

i would go with a riedell boot and a aluminum plate with a "jump bar". i like abec bearings and hyper wheels. stay away from a a boot that looks like it use to be a comfy sneaker converted into a skate boot, and nylon plates. riedell is awesome.( but i have to say i was never a fan of the carrera boot)
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #10
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I would contact someone like rollergirl.ca. She does aggressive and roller derby skating herself! She has a great customer satisfaction policy too. I have only been happy ordering from her. Shes extremely helpful too and since she actually skates/coaches derby herself, she would know what works best.
Closed Thread