S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old January 21st, 2019, 06:22 PM   #1
Ancient1

Default Anyone Here... Here... here... here

Sheesh! It's like an echo here when I drop in. So empty. I keep checking each day and nothing.

I hope each of you are having a great new year. I know I am.
Old January 21st, 2019, 06:42 PM   #2
wyodinosaur

Default Pretty empty indeed

I also check frequently and find that not much has occurred.

People need to get off of facebook and come here instead.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:38 PM   #3
Nostalgic

I check in here several times a day and find virtually nothing. Facebook on the other hand is fairly busy. This is only one of the groups.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/danc...?ref=bookmarks
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 10:34 PM   #4
Ancient1

I got off of facebook several years ago. Bad place and almost no security. Sad to see so many people going there. But I have too much to hide in my sordid life.

I just don't want them to steal my private info that I put in facebook. It's none of their business but since it is their system I guess they can make the rules and break them at the same time...
Old January 21st, 2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Nostalgic

I simply don't give them any info. I never post personal stuff.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 05:14 AM   #6
wyodinosaur

I don't trust facebook either. I don't have a facebook...never have had one...and certainly am not planning on getting one. I do just fine without it.

Aside from that, sites like this one are much better at data retention. You can go back years and read about stuff, rather than having to be repetitive and probably lose half of what is posted to places like facebook.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh

Oh wow, haven't checked here in a while! I used to sneak online while I was at work, but now I can't do that anymore, so oh-well. I used to come here because I had so many questions and needed to find out which skates to buy. You guys were a pretty great resource. So thank you.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 09:58 AM   #8
rwsz

still here not a lot of activity lately. should be more coming up with meets.
Old January 29th, 2019, 12:28 PM   #9
Ancient1

I'm so glad to see the responses. I check everyday, several times a day. I hope those going to regionals and nationals do put entries here.
Old January 29th, 2019, 08:49 PM   #10
emtdpf

Hi Y'all!
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 11:33 AM   #11
AZSHOT

I quit coming when 9 out of 10 new posts (when I click that button above) are by two people, all off topic political posts. Try it now. Dozens of politics posts by just two people, several started every day, month after month. These same two, because they're here wringing their hands about every other issue, also are the only ones that will reply to a legitimate skate questions. It's a classic problem with forums and clubs - the most energetic or most available person basically takes control, and makes it their personal soapbox.

I joined to ask about skates, and show off some of mine. I did get some great help from Doc8 and a few others. But today it seems its 99% off topic politics.

The reason I moved from several hobbie forums to facebook is that there are more on-topic posts. Most that I stay on have strict anti-politics and anti-bullying moderation. This site doesn't. If it wanted to get serious, it would limit the above, strongly. You might get people back to discussing skating.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 05:02 PM   #12
Ancient1

I had not noticed that here in the Artistic Forum. Did you try to send the administrators: Kathie and Jessica an email about those that can't contain their political views... I would hope that they would look into it and either get them to stop or do the unthinkable and neuter them from the skatelog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
I quit coming when 9 out of 10 new posts (when I click that button above) are by two people, all off topic political posts. Try it now. Dozens of politics posts by just two people, several started every day, month after month. These same two, because they're here wringing their hands about every other issue, also are the only ones that will reply to a legitimate skate questions. It's a classic problem with forums and clubs - the most energetic or most available person basically takes control, and makes it their personal soapbox.

I joined to ask about skates, and show off some of mine. I did get some great help from Doc8 and a few others. But today it seems its 99% off topic politics.

The reason I moved from several hobbie forums to facebook is that there are more on-topic posts. Most that I stay on have strict anti-politics and anti-bullying moderation. This site doesn't. If it wanted to get serious, it would limit the above, strongly. You might get people back to discussing skating.
Old February 12th, 2019, 12:35 AM   #13
BHicks

Default Still here too

I'm here lurking occasionally.
BHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2019, 10:25 AM   #14
Ancient1

Lurking is ok. I can live with that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHicks View Post
I'm here lurking occasionally.
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:23 PM   #15
Dennis Lauer

Default Lurking

Hopeful for more signs of life coming into regionals and nationals!
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2019, 12:06 AM   #16
Ancient1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post
Hopeful for more signs of life coming into regionals and nationals!
Hi Dennis,
I was thinking the same thing. I sure hope so.
Old April 14th, 2019, 07:24 PM   #17
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
...I used to sneak online while I was at work, but now I can't do that anymore, so oh-well. ...
Ah! Now it makes sense. I had to stalk you around this place to find out why you got so scarce.
Old April 20th, 2019, 11:06 PM   #18
larryoracing

Default Yeah I have been hanging on FaceBook.

I am going to Regionals and hopefully Nationals in the Adult Divisions..Solo Dance and Figures. Have not decided to do the freestyle..yet. I have met a lot of old time skaters on Facebook.They have become good friends. Many skate Figures and Dance..solo and team. Not many adults do Freestyle.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2019, 10:41 AM   #19
Ancient1

Hi Larry,
Please update us on the progress and your events. I look forward to the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
I am going to Regionals and hopefully Nationals in the Adult Divisions..Solo Dance and Figures. Have not decided to do the freestyle..yet. I have met a lot of old time skaters on Facebook.They have become good friends. Many skate Figures and Dance..solo and team. Not many adults do Freestyle.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 03:18 AM   #20
larryoracing

Default Hi Jim.

I have been skating like crazy, but really no freestyle. It's about 2 months before regionals and have decided to put the Freestyle on hold. I have met a few people who do this stuff and are competing now in Classic, which is 18 and above. But really in southern, ca there is only one skater. There are a few kids who do the Jr. World and World class and Dance and show events. They are good and fun to watch, but there are not many...maybe 6-10 in Jr. World and World Class dance and Freestyle. For me I just skate the beginning and intermediate solo Dance events and the intermediate and Gold figure events, but those disciplines don't ask to much from a person 64 years old. It's really hard to just do basic skating, but it passes the time. This year Nationals is in Spokane, Washington and that will be fun. Sharing a room with friends and I got a flight for 260 dollars there and back. So life is good!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote