S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 22nd, 2019, 09:36 AM   #41
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Well, that's an opinion, doesn't make a word of it correct, but it's an opinion.

Couldn't care less about the weight of an arius or powerdyne, but a boen short plate weight would be nice.

A boen 5 degree plate isn't going to be effected by speed, it's going to be faster because it can be placed further forward when stepping down, allowing for a longer stroke, true for ice and inline blades, longer is faster because the toe is longer offering a longer stroke when pushing.

Roller skates have always been speed dominated by short forward.

Real roller skates.
Then why are they so damn slow? If they dominate oh so well.. bwa hha. Skated with a lot of people on short forward mounts, they're always getting left in the dust

The only relevant point you remotely touch on is a forward front axle. The rear doesnt matter that much, however, if you're doing a double push stroke on quads, on a short plate, it's not going to go all that well, the carve speed vs stride cadence doesn't work the same and your max speed wont be as good. Or maybe all the short forward guys suck at skating and cant time their strides right? I dunno you Mike the call <- banter with your name on it

Look up boens, their weights arent all that great considering they dont even have a toestop boss. Hell if I wanted a light NTS, I'd just have the boss off a Red Arius. The NTS is heavier.

While we are on weights, plate weights mean almost nothing vs wheel weights. Huge difference. Like adding weight to a broomstick you're holding in a hand. Put weight close to the hand, no big deal(plates and boots) put that increase at the end like a wheel, big issue. Peak foot velocity is changed, top sprint speed is what suffers.

What's funny to me is you're one to talk about speed in quads while you slather lotion on your feet to "reduce friction" I guess you cant be fast if your foot is an adult playing twister drenched in baby oil...
Old September 2nd, 2019, 10:09 PM   #42
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Then why are they so damn slow? If they dominate oh so well.. bwa hha. Skated with a lot of people on short forward mounts, they're always getting left in the dust

The only relevant point you remotely touch on is a forward front axle. The rear doesnt matter that much, however, if you're doing a double push stroke on quads, on a short plate, it's not going to go all that well, the carve speed vs stride cadence doesn't work the same and your max speed wont be as good. Or maybe all the short forward guys suck at skating and cant time their strides right? I dunno you Mike the call <- banter with your name on it

Look up boens, their weights arent all that great considering they dont even have a toestop boss. Hell if I wanted a light NTS, I'd just have the boss off a Red Arius. The NTS is heavier.

While we are on weights, plate weights mean almost nothing vs wheel weights. Huge difference. Like adding weight to a broomstick you're holding in a hand. Put weight close to the hand, no big deal(plates and boots) put that increase at the end like a wheel, big issue. Peak foot velocity is changed, top sprint speed is what suffers.

What's funny to me is you're one to talk about speed in quads while you slather lotion on your feet to "reduce friction" I guess you cant be fast if your foot is an adult playing twister drenched in baby oil...
No use for short forward at all. Probably it's niche is with turning at slow speed. The shorter the wheelbase, the tighter the turning ability. But the tighter the turning ability, the harder the cushion set to stabilize it at speed generally. Talent is a factor too.

Eww nasty oiling your feet then putting into skates.... ruin a pair of boots. Reducing friction reduces control, but maybe the cushions are actually metal spacers. Maybe a set of fixed axle plates instead.. if you are dancing(standing holding onto something) in a small space, maybe you don't need handling....