S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 8th, 2019, 03:39 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Old wheels

I bought 2 sets of used Shamans a while back. Reds and whites. Apparently both sets had not been skated in a long time and had zero grip. Had tread on both sets. A coating or maybe the urethane exposed to air deteriorates and the wheels don't have grip. The whites had not been rotated and 2 of the wheels had more wear than the rest, those will go to the back axles for now. Anyway went to the local pavilions and skated on cement for about 30 minutes each, moved wheels front to back after 15 minutes. Tread now feels grippier to the touch. Wheels gripped cement really good. I had been skating a looser floor for about a year now. Going to skate a really grippy floor this weekend so had to get these ready. Love my Shamans.
Old June 8th, 2019, 11:28 PM   #2
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I bought 2 sets of used Shamans a while back. Reds and whites. Apparently both sets had not been skated in a long time and had zero grip. Had tread on both sets. A coating or maybe the urethane exposed to air deteriorates and the wheels don't have grip. The whites had not been rotated and 2 of the wheels had more wear than the rest, those will go to the back axles for now. Anyway went to the local pavilions and skated on cement for about 30 minutes each, moved wheels front to back after 15 minutes. Tread now feels grippier to the touch. Wheels gripped cement really good. I had been skating a looser floor for about a year now. Going to skate a really grippy floor this weekend so had to get these ready. Love my Shamans.
Why does not rotating the wheels lead to uneven wear? Is it the mainly CCW direction we skate or is it to do with the natural wear from skating action?
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 02:09 AM   #3
fierocious1

Default Wheel conditioning test was a success.

Ok FYI, old high end wheels that had set up for some. The urethane deteriorates, slippery performance on known floors. The whit Shamans after being reconditioned on the semi smooth cement did well. At first a small bit of slip and end of stroke(set up for little/no kickback). After about 30 minutes full grip as any other set of whites I have skated before. Now a good set of wheels!
The reds, came out about as could expected. I had skated two sets of these before, never did get them to grip ad good as the harder whites. Typical of this wheel. It doesn't work with this urethane coating or has another purpose. I have a set of green Shamans and they are awesome for gripping marginal floors, I expected the reds to do much better than they did. After testing 3 different sets of reds with same results, they might be a very good wheel for semi-smooth cement, outdoors. The compound is just not gripping as I expected.

I expected a difference in glide(duro) and grip better than the whites. The reds were looser/slippery in comparison with no other changes(flips so I didn't even take my skates off).

Whites and greens get it done, the reds are for another purpose.

Traffic at the rink was down this evening at Champions, got to run many fast laps with the inline guys.

Reconditioning old wheels works very well, these all had tread and didn't notice much wear after putting 30 minutes on each set, so this works well.
Old June 15th, 2019, 12:54 AM   #4
Dec8rSk8r

I bought some new whites back when they first started remaking Shamans, but I wasn't heavy enough to hold them down. I guess Dan Beaver probably isn't around here to do regrooves anymore either. He sure did a professional job.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 07:47 PM   #5
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I bought some new whites back when they first started remaking Shamans, but I wasn't heavy enough to hold them down. I guess Dan Beaver probably isn't around here to do regrooves anymore either. He sure did a professional job.
The old advice was to skate new wheels on cement for a short time(30 minutes each set) clean, then they will grip. Fadt break in like this works. I risked the test on unknown wheels when I bought them, it all worked out.

I'm not sure if weight really does matter or not, all I have seen from experience is the harder wheels of the same line, may break loose the harder the duro is for a given floor. But setup has a lot to do with it too.