S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 14th, 2019, 09:25 AM   #1
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default Helping Skaters at Session

So, how many like to help skaters at skating.

Does it tend to go well. Is it just a hassle.

I used to do it a lot, and it went pretty well. Today, a lot of folks tried to skate backwards. They went 3 songs deep into it. Oddly, I was not into it.

Back in LA, there were always cute girls to help, or just plain folks. In San Antonio, I have to say, the reception has been pretty blah. So I gave them blah back last night. Just wondering how your experience has gone.
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 12:19 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
So, how many like to help skaters at skating.

Does it tend to go well. Is it just a hassle.

I used to do it a lot, and it went pretty well. Today, a lot of folks tried to skate backwards. They went 3 songs deep into it. Oddly, I was not into it.

Back in LA, there were always cute girls to help, or just plain folks. In San Antonio, I have to say, the reception has been pretty blah. So I gave them blah back last night. Just wondering how your experience has gone.
I get a lot of questions at the rinks. Help if they listen. It depends on if they really want help or just want to have someone to talk to. I get more questions in the smaller rinks.
Old June 15th, 2019, 12:34 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

I help those worth helping.

If they seem to have dedication to actually skate, they get some dedicated help.

Once tried to help some little kid who kept falling , and when I asked if she needed some help her reply was "I KNOW HOW TO SKATE". That turned me away from helping people for a while.

I laughed every time she ate sh!t afterwards.
Old June 15th, 2019, 08:30 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

If they seem to have dedication to actually skate, they get some dedicated help.

Once tried to help some little kid who kept falling , and when I asked if she needed some help her reply was "I KNOW HOW TO SKATE". That turned me away from helping people for a while.

LOL
I actually had a little more luck over at the Rollercade. That is a crowded, fast, unforgiving, hairball of a rink. I helped a few folks there and it went well.

I had forgotten this one girl, probably 9 10 months ago. The PERFECT student. She and her friend were trying to backward skate. They were trying the butterfly, which seems to be what most folks WANT to try. I think that is the harder way to go. I much prefer having them put their toes in, like an A, and take steady small steps backward, and standing up straight. Well, this one girl followed my instructions to a TEE. Just perfect. Stood upright, steady small steps, kept her toes in. I was seriously blown away. No one, in all the years I've done that, just so perfectly followed instructions. I kind of like that I remembered that. That will give me incentive to jump in again next time.
Old June 15th, 2019, 07:47 PM   #5
zebra1922

I'm always wary about approaching people to give advice. There are staff at the rink there to help with the basics to get people skating, I've also had some really aggressive responses when I've tried to help people with rowing technique at my gym (most people's rowing technique is truly appalling!).

But if someone asks me for advice on how I do a certain manoeuvre (very rare as I'm not the best skater in the world but it has happened once or twice) I'm only too happy to try and help.
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 08:08 PM   #6
HeBeGB

I always help if I think it will help. Mind you I ask if they would like some pointers. You can tell very quickly if they actually do want help or not. It is partially for selfish reasons, If they enjoy skating -> they will come back -> maybe bring some friends -> more admissions -> so more money to the rink owner -> rink stays open -> I get to the opportunity to skate more
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:15 PM   #7
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
I always help if I think it will help. Mind you I ask if they would like some pointers. You can tell very quickly if they actually do want help or not. It is partially for selfish reasons, If they enjoy skating -> they will come back -> maybe bring some friends -> more admissions -> so more money to the rink owner -> rink stays open -> I get to the opportunity to skate more
Yeah, exactly. If you can help them out, get them having some fun, they'll return.
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:20 AM   #8
bookwook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

I've had the same experience with a couple a teenage lads who were hitting the floor SO hard.Their reaction to my asking if they needed some help was "We've got this old fella".5 mins later both were off the rink nursing various painful injuries.Karma for the old fella comment i believe.
bookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 04:47 AM   #9
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwook View Post
I've had the same experience with a couple a teenage lads who were hitting the floor SO hard.Their reaction to my asking if they needed some help was "We've got this old fella".5 mins later both were off the rink nursing various painful injuries.Karma for the old fella comment i believe.
Lol nice.

I taught like 4 kids today. They were interested in learning. One kid could barely skate but wanted to "hockey stop" like a young friend of mine learned after I got him setup on better wheels.

I explained they needed to.learn how to do 2 other stops before trying a hockey stop.(T and plow at the same time = hockey stop)
Old June 20th, 2019, 09:55 AM   #10
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

I love helping new skaters out.But I gave up after being abused by a wanna be derby skater and her friends .
I have found the whole derby crowd to be anti social.
If your not derby they dont want to know.
Old June 20th, 2019, 11:45 AM   #11
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
I love helping new skaters out.But I gave up after being abused by a wanna be derby skater and her friends .
Derby folks are weird. You are either in with them, or out.
Old June 20th, 2019, 03:12 PM   #12
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Derby folks are weird. You are either in with them, or out.
The chip is nearly always up there and prominent no matter how well they skate. But not all are like that, just a big percentage.
Old June 20th, 2019, 03:48 PM   #13
ursle
Street Skater

So...
10% of golfers break 100 for 18 holes, I don't walk up to someone witha terrible swing and try to "fix it", they either won't understand or won't listen.

10% of skiers actually carve their skis, I don't walk up to skiers sliding down a mountain barely in control and try to "fix it", they either won't understand or won't listen.

Let's leave derby out of this, skating is simple, just like cross-country skiing, bicycling, running, just point and go.

But...if you're the type that walks up and tells others what to do, or how to do it, chillaxe.

On the other hand if others ask you what it is you're doing, they will be receptive to your experience.
Old June 21st, 2019, 01:29 AM   #14
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Even inliners are weird...Down here.
Maybe they look at me differently cause i wear low cut Quad speed skates with no stopppers.
No fishnet ,no hair color or makeup.
Maybe i should dress in drag and see how that goes.
No the people that ask me ,I will spend the time and show or explain basic moves .I dont coach them ,i either tell them what their doing wrong or what they should be doing...
Old June 21st, 2019, 08:47 AM   #15
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
So...
10% of golfers break 100 for 18 holes, I don't walk up to someone witha terrible swing and try to "fix it", they either won't understand or won't listen.

10% of skiers actually carve their skis, I don't walk up to skiers sliding down a mountain barely in control and try to "fix it", they either won't understand or won't listen.

Let's leave derby out of this, skating is simple, just like cross-country skiing, bicycling, running, just point and go.

But...if you're the type that walks up and tells others what to do, or how to do it, chillaxe.

On the other hand if others ask you what it is you're doing, they will be receptive to your experience.
Just depends on when you catch a derby skater. If you can talk to them and help them learn things before the derby hive mind of idiots tell them that only derby related skills matter, you have a chance at helping them learn.

I used to try to get this one lady to learn things like stepping, laterals, transitions and compound moves to deepen her skill pool. She said " no , I'll just stick to derby" 3 or 4 years later She was teaching newcomers that EVERYTHING matters and was encouraging people to learn all aspects of skating. Somewhere it finally clicked. But the reality is she likely saw an elite skater who also happened to play derby and found out they did a lot more than just be a jammer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post

Generally speaking tho, derby skaters are the worst when you try to help them learn new skills so they can become better skaters. I'll agree there.
Old June 21st, 2019, 06:06 PM   #16
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Had a pretty large birthday party group at adult night. Probably 30. About 15 of them skated. Had a lot of folks trying backward. Helped a few ladies. They were a fun group. After that, got my headphones back on and did my thing. I upped my bike rides back to 20+ miles, so I was pretty peppy.
Old June 22nd, 2019, 12:05 PM   #17
rwsz

its good to help out in small ways, bend knees a bit, don't lean backwards, step over, act like your marching etc,,,,,,,just don't touch or anything to put your self in harms way depending on many variables
Old June 22nd, 2019, 11:35 PM   #18
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
its good to help out in small ways, bend knees a bit, don't lean backwards, step over, act like your marching etc,,,,,,,just don't touch or anything to put your self in harms way depending on many variables
Funny you should mention touching. I used to do that a lot and somewhere along the line stopped. But the whole touching things brings up a kind of sensitive issue: Big Folks. Being that I used to touch, hold a hand, hold BOTH hands going backwards, or even an arm around the back, I had to draw a no go line for big folks. I'd put a hand out, typically for a smaller female. It wasn't that I was being a goon or anything, but a person would have to be a small female, or a kid, for me to be able to significantly help them with balance. What is the point of me trying to help their balance if we are BOTH going to fall.
(I don't help kids. Too much potential weirdness there. Unless said kid is there with their parent present.)

So, anyways, if it were a bigger person, no touch. If it were a really big person, I wouldn't even go near them. In my mind, I would simply deem them, unfit to be on wheels. Period. I'd see some other guys try and help them out, usually with bad results.

Yeah, a big person, with really bad balance. On skates. **CRINGE**
Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:19 PM   #19
hoohoorjoo

I like to help people up when they fall, and I will help small kids if they really look like they are trying. Had a couple times that parents looked at me like I was a perv, so gotta be careful, too.
Btw, Im skating as I type this!
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2019, 01:49 AM   #20
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
Btw, Im skating as I type this!
One of THOSE are ya? LOL