S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old May 20th, 2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Sonny01

Default Wheels that lock up when they hit something

I have been skating on Powell Bones 103A 57MM urethane wheels for years and I like them very much. The problem I have is if I hit any tiny little piece of junk on the floor the wheel locks up or skids and I end up sky-ground sky-ground. The floor is concrete. I have been hurt several times when a wheel locks up and it happened twice yesterday. My question is: are there wheels that will run over something instead of lock up?
Sonny01
Sonny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:39 PM   #2
CNQuadSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny01 View Post
I have been skating on Powell Bones 103A 57MM urethane wheels for years and I like them very much. The problem I have is if I hit any tiny little piece of junk on the floor the wheel locks up or skids and I end up sky-ground sky-ground. The floor is concrete. I have been hurt several times when a wheel locks up and it happened twice yesterday. My question is: are there wheels that will run over something instead of lock up?
Sonny01
With 78A-85A wheels.
CNQuadSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:51 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNQuadSkater View Post
With 78A-85A wheels.
I agree.
Are you skating outdoors or indoors.
Indoors with 103a wheels requires an extremly clean floor, outdoors with a 103a would wear the wheels down fast, to much friction eating the urethane, so you must be indoors.

Either clean the floor well or switch to a slightly softer wheel, 96-98a.
Or, are you a slider, I'd consider wrist guards.
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Sonny01

Not a slider...and I wear wrist, knee and elbow guards on an indoor floor. The knee and elbow guards saved me the last time. I'll try a softer wheel.
Thank you!
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:13 PM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Higher velocity will keep a wheel from locking up on floor debris.
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:15 PM   #6
Sonny01

I used to race around and dance and if I got slow it got me into trouble and it took me forever to do the same stuff at a slower speed. I didn't know slow had consequences.
I looked at 57mm x 30mm wheels around 92a and I haven't a clue as to what's good. Any recommendations?
Sonny01
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Skatervideoguy

Hi Sonny01,

Quote:
Not a slider...and I wear wrist, knee and elbow guards on an indoor floor. The knee and elbow guards saved me the last time. I'll try a softer wheel.
Very Smart of you to be wearing that Protective Gear. You might also consider Hip and Tail Bone Padding. These have saved me many times over thru the years, in addition to the Knee & Elbow Pads.

Softer wheels will be less likely to "Lock Up" on smaller objects - but they can still Lock Up. So don't think they will totally eliminate the issue.

Even keeping an "Eagle Eye" out for floor junk won't eliminate the issue, as you simply can't and will not see everything on the floor. (even with good lighting - which many Rinks are not providing these days)

Should you try the "Higher velocity" option, any "Lock Up" will cause you a worse Fall, and possibly more damage.

I'm currently Skating a Slick floor in Vegas. (needs resurfacing) Started on my 101A's (nice & tight on Floor back in KC) - slid all over the floor and Locked Up twice before changing to my 92A Derby wheels - 20 mins into my first Skate Session here. Got Better traction but have still Locked Up on Floor Junk - they don't do so well on cleaning the Floor here either.

Skate Safe

Harold
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:26 PM   #8
zebra1922

Even with softer wheels you can end up taking a flyer if you hit something.

I had 2 plate nuts fall off my brand new skates a couple of weeks ago. A skater in my lesson group was unfortunate enough to roll right over one, and even with 78a wheels she took a big fall to the ground.

A lesson learnt never to trust a manufacturer will actually ensure your plates are secure - and more practice apologising!
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #9
Sonny01

I mount my own plates and I always use nylock nuts. Sounds like the company that put your skates together was trying to cut a little cost.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:26 PM   #10
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I mount my own plates and I always use nylock nuts. Sounds like the company that put your skates together was trying to cut a little cost.
It's not uncommon for mounting hardware to loosen up at all.

After some edging the hardware is often pulled further into the sole(over time) and the nuts can become loose. It's part of a skaters responsibility to check their equipment often. Such as before/after sessions/use.

I dont use nylock bolts or nuts for mounting plates. I use loctite and tee nuts.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:47 PM   #11
Sonny01

I dont use nylock bolts or nuts for mounting plates. I use loctite and tee nuts.

That works too but I wouldn't think new skates would lose their nuts so quickly.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:49 PM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Physics is against you. You are on a shorter wheel. That means, whatever debris you run into looks bigger to your wheel than if you were on 62mm wheels. Your wheels are also hard. It will tend to push more. I hit something that pushed a few months back. I happened to be going forward, and was able to avoid a fall. I have also hit debris of roughly the same size that I have rolled over. Oh, it made an impression, and I circled around and picked it up. Had I been on small hard wheels, it would have been a different story.

I don't think anybody can offer you a fix besides taller softer wheels. If the debris shows up often enough, and your body is no longer up for the falls, you have no choice. Well, lots of pads is another route.
Old June 6th, 2019, 11:36 PM   #13
Kassus

I locked them up about a month ago on some nearly-invisible debris at my home rink on a 95A wheel. Floor is ALWAYS dirty. The wannabe rink rats that "clean" the floor run the dust mop over the floor at a fast speed while they already have their skates on.
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2019, 04:11 AM   #14
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassus View Post
I locked them up about a month ago on some nearly-invisible debris at my home rink on a 95A wheel. Floor is ALWAYS dirty. The wannabe rink rats that "clean" the floor run the dust mop over the floor at a fast speed while they already have their skates on.
Sh!t at least they run the mop around...... dust mopping here is a rare thing.

I can't remember the last time floor debris was an issue aside from hearing / feeling me run it over lol.

Less than 10mph ya gotta be careful, so we're always cooking it
Old June 8th, 2019, 10:33 PM   #15
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Get bigger wheels

Same as others have said, the larger the wheel, the more it will roll over smaller things. Also, a bit softer also helps.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 10:07 PM   #16
fierocious1

[IMG]Outdoor skates completed and tested. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

85mm
Old August 10th, 2019, 10:48 PM   #17
Skatervideoguy

Hi fierocious1,

Aside from those Xtra Large Wheels, That Long WB helps out too. Nice !

Harold
Old August 10th, 2019, 10:56 PM   #18
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatervideoguy View Post
Hi fierocious1,

Aside from those Xtra Large Wheels, That Long WB helps out too. Nice !

Harold
Yeah the long frames are stable. I have one frame that is 8 3/8" axle centers. You notice slower response with it on your feet. Big wheels not an issue though.I finally cut these wheels down a bit. 73mm tall and removed the outer face back to the hub.

Edit: The wheels cut down in this pic.
[IMG]Cut face off and made a small bevel on the outside/face of the wheel. by fierocious1, on Flickr[/IMG]

The tread face is the same width as it was before cutting the bulging face off, but you lose 10% of the total weight to get the wheel cut to this shape.

Last edited by fierocious1; August 11th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2019, 01:56 AM   #19
Sonny01

fierocious1 your custom skates make mine look boring. Riedell 297's, Roll Line Ring and Powell Bones 57mm.
Old August 11th, 2019, 12:58 PM   #20
fierocious1

Quote:
fierocious1 your custom skates make mine look boring. Riedell 297's, Roll Line Ring and Powell Bones 57mm.
I must admit, I never did any look up or compare skates very much before building, so I don't know much about production boots. Pretty disappointed after having skated 5 pair in the first year. I just used cheaper boots to allow me to test plates. This just naturally led to modifying stock plates. Then making my own plates along the same lines. The boots just came from trying inline skating for several years and finally giving up on it, hurt my knees too much. However the boots were awesome.
I had a goal to build awesome handling skates, inexpensively. Having the machines to do it made it much easier.