S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 29th, 2019, 07:28 AM   #1
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default You CAN go home again

Where to start. Tuesday I guess. i was out for a bike ride. I had just completed the short section where I ride the street, and was getting back on the sidewalk as I headed to the Leon Creek Bike Trail. The route from the street up the wheel chair entry to the sidewalk is convoluted. So, as usual, I took a straight route that takes me over some gravel. then grass, then the side walk. Well, I guess I must have twitched at just the wrong moment, and my front wheel washed out in front of me and I went down on my left side. One of the nice things about recumbent bikes is, falls are usually a lot less damaging then falling from a diamond frame. Unfortunately, I put my left foot down and tweaked my bad ankle pretty good. I dug up my lace up boot ankle brace and have been wearing it. The ankle is better, but still VERY sprained.

Now Thursday comes along and the neighbor asked me on a ride. I usually don't ride on Thursday because I skate in the evening. But I went anyway, thinking with the bad ankle, I won't skate anyway. The ride goes well, and I don't lose tire pressure in my tubeless tires like I did the other day. I don't feel like skipping skating, and had just seen my old Rebel/Magnum skates. So I thought, why not put on the other boot ankle brace, I have two, and use the Rebel skates. At least I can go and chat with my rink friends, even if I don't skate much. But first, I needed to do a bit of skate maintenance. The last time those skates were skated was by a friend who did what I told him not to. He tried to tune the skate by tightening down the cushions. So I had to undo all the kingpin nuts to loose, jiggle things up and re-tighten. That went OK except for the one nut that did not come out, but undid the kingpin itself. So, found some tools, set all the cushion nuts properly and went to the rink.

So I get there, the 2nd week after the HATED DJ got booted. Nice crowd. An abundance of lovely ladies. Nice. I put the skates on and try them out. A little too loose. A bit wiggly. Off to make an adjustment, then back to skating. At this point, I had a combo of weird. Being on skates I haven't been on for some time, and not really knowing how bad my ankle is. Remember I have already had it in the boot brace a couple days. Don't really have a clue how it will take to skating. The action felt a little weird. Like it was turning in more abruptly than my Invader. Oh, and did I forget to mention, this skate had Purple cushions, not my usual yellow.

The rink music is now by request. Lotta folks into cRap music. Whaddaya gonna do? I don't mind as much, as at least it is not some lame-o DJ shoving it down my throat. And anyways, I have my bluetooth headphones. So I dial up a good tune and skate. With the ankle support from the brace, I am going to be able to skate as much as I might want to. Only near the end, did it start getting irritated, but my quads were tired by then anyway.

OH SNAP. Well, how do you do? The snap of purple cushions. I had forgotten all about it. Yellow cushions don't snap back the way purples do. I remember waaaay back in my DA45 skating, I had always surmised that skating a DA45 is a better, more fun way, of learning to skate well. What I mean is, you learn the turning power of the skate better. Then, as you progress as a skater, you learn to make sharper turns not just by leaning on the skate, but by lifting axles. This was a theory I had proven to myself about a year and a half ago when I forgot my skates, but was able to still turn well with rentals. I am also coming to the conclusion that my yellow cushions don't really turn better than the purples, but it is just a bit easier to do.

As for the "you CAN go home again", I had a GREAT time, bad ankle and all, skating my Rebel/Magnums with the purple cushions. I'd turn and get a kick on them snapping back like I haven't felt in YEARS. One little maneuver in particular was fun. As I enter a turn backwards, I progressively tighten the turn until the skates want to pop around to forward. I then lift both front axles and pivot on my heels. The purple cushions felt great doing this. It gave it power steering. The energy of the cushions really popped me around with more energy, not coming from me, but from the skate.

So, if any of you DA45 guys wanna have a bit of fun, dust off a set of purples and take them for a spin. I think I am going to skate these for a while.
Old March 30th, 2019, 02:34 AM   #2
fierocious1

Default Glad you had a good time, heal quickly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Where to start. Tuesday I guess. i was out for a bike ride. I had just completed the short section where I ride the street, and was getting back on the sidewalk as I headed to the Leon Creek Bike Trail. The route from the street up the wheel chair entry to the sidewalk is convoluted. So, as usual, I took a straight route that takes me over some gravel. then grass, then the side walk. Well, I guess I must have twitched at just the wrong moment, and my front wheel washed out in front of me and I went down on my left side. One of the nice things about recumbent bikes is, falls are usually a lot less damaging then falling from a diamond frame. Unfortunately, I put my left foot down and tweaked my bad ankle pretty good. I dug up my lace up boot ankle brace and have been wearing it. The ankle is better, but still VERY sprained.

Now Thursday comes along and the neighbor asked me on a ride. I usually don't ride on Thursday because I skate in the evening. But I went anyway, thinking with the bad ankle, I won't skate anyway. The ride goes well, and I don't lose tire pressure in my tubeless tires like I did the other day. I don't feel like skipping skating, and had just seen my old Rebel/Magnum skates. So I thought, why not put on the other boot ankle brace, I have two, and use the Rebel skates. At least I can go and chat with my rink friends, even if I don't skate much. But first, I needed to do a bit of skate maintenance. The last time those skates were skated was by a friend who did what I told him not to. He tried to tune the skate by tightening down the cushions. So I had to undo all the kingpin nuts to loose, jiggle things up and re-tighten. That went OK except for the one nut that did not come out, but undid the kingpin itself. So, found some tools, set all the cushion nuts properly and went to the rink.

So I get there, the 2nd week after the HATED DJ got booted. Nice crowd. An abundance of lovely ladies. Nice. I put the skates on and try them out. A little too loose. A bit wiggly. Off to make an adjustment, then back to skating. At this point, I had a combo of weird. Being on skates I haven't been on for some time, and not really knowing how bad my ankle is. Remember I have already had it in the boot brace a couple days. Don't really have a clue how it will take to skating. The action felt a little weird. Like it was turning in more abruptly than my Invader. Oh, and did I forget to mention, this skate had Purple cushions, not my usual yellow.

The rink music is now by request. Lotta folks into cRap music. Whaddaya gonna do? I don't mind as much, as at least it is not some lame-o DJ shoving it down my throat. And anyways, I have my bluetooth headphones. So I dial up a good tune and skate. With the ankle support from the brace, I am going to be able to skate as much as I might want to. Only near the end, did it start getting irritated, but my quads were tired by then anyway.

OH SNAP. Well, how do you do? The snap of purple cushions. I had forgotten all about it. Yellow cushions don't snap back the way purples do. I remember waaaay back in my DA45 skating, I had always surmised that skating a DA45 is a better, more fun way, of learning to skate well. What I mean is, you learn the turning power of the skate better. Then, as you progress as a skater, you learn to make sharper turns not just by leaning on the skate, but by lifting axles. This was a theory I had proven to myself about a year and a half ago when I forgot my skates, but was able to still turn well with rentals. I am also coming to the conclusion that my yellow cushions don't really turn better than the purples, but it is just a bit easier to do.

As for the "you CAN go home again", I had a GREAT time, bad ankle and all, skating my Rebel/Magnums with the purple cushions. I'd turn and get a kick on them snapping back like I haven't felt in YEARS. One little maneuver in particular was fun. As I enter a turn backwards, I progressively tighten the turn until the skates want to pop around to forward. I then lift both front axles and pivot on my heels. The purple cushions felt great doing this. It gave it power steering. The energy of the cushions really popped me around with more energy, not coming from me, but from the skate.

So, if any of you DA45 guys wanna have a bit of fun, dust off a set of purples and take them for a spin. I think I am going to skate these for a while.
DA45 is all I skate.
Old April 4th, 2019, 05:30 PM   #3
wired

Quote:
So, if any of you DA45 guys wanna have a bit of fun, dust off a set of purples and take them for a spin.
If you really want to have some fun do the work and get to where you can really use blues. Your ankles have more "snap" than any little bits of urethane will ever have.

Old April 5th, 2019, 05:55 AM   #4
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
If you really want to have some fun do the work and get to where you can really use blues. Your ankles have more "snap" than any little bits of urethane will ever have.

Blues are no holy grail of DA45's. Blues exist so 98 pound skaters can get full turning. At over 200 lbs, I don't need blues. If fact, I don't need yellows. I get full turning from purples, and I enjoyed the snap back. I skated the yellows today. Turned just like the purples, just had less energy returning to center. I enjoyed the purples more. I think I'll try and dig up my red gummies and give them a whirl.
Old April 6th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Blues are no holy grail of DA45's. Blues exist so 98 pound skaters can get full turning.

So, me, all the way up to 240 @ one point didn't need blues?? Horse crap. It's all I run on my DA45s, be it Avengers, Magnums, Dance Imperial lites or Royals.

At over 200 lbs, I don't need blues. If fact, I don't need yellows. I get full turning from purples, and I enjoyed the snap back. I skated the yellows today. Turned just like the purples, just had less energy returning to center. I enjoyed the purples more. I think I'll try and dig up my red gummies and give them a whirl.

Well I guess if you are incapable of centering your action w/o the cushions helping that is your loss. You do realize that every bit of energy you get back in the rebound of the action does not equal the amount of energy you put in. Hysteresis never fails to rob ya of the energy put in.

So do what ya want, that's you. Just don't expound about what you do as if the whole world should do it your way. I don't and won't. All blues w/ NO preload is the way I run my DA45 actions.
Old April 7th, 2019, 05:51 AM   #6
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Well I guess if you are incapable of centering your action w/o the cushions helping that is your loss. You do realize that every bit of energy you get back in the rebound of the action does not equal the amount of energy you put in. Hysteresis never fails to rob ya of the energy put in.

If you want to pony up the funds to get an orthopedic surgeon to fix my left ankle, PM me, we'll set it up.

So do what ya want, that's you. Just don't expound about what you do as if the whole world should do it your way. I don't and won't. All blues w/ NO preload is the way I run my DA45 actions.

Really? I have your permission to do what I want? Wow. Cool.

Tell me, what do you think Sure Grip would say when asked why they have cushions of different hardness. Likely they would answer, to accommodate people of different weights and different preferences.
Congrats for being Wired's tool. This is exactly what he wanted. Shame on you.

I bet, at your weight, if you skated a yellow cushion and blue cushion back to back, not knowing which was which, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. For me, the difference between yellow and purple is that with the yellow, you can easily create some turning with just a bit of pressure, where you would need more pressure with a purple. And blue, even less pressure. You seem to like that. I had FUN skating my purples. I am sorry if that destroys your fragile little world.

Congrats again for being Wired's little tool. He'll be sending you a fruit basket and a stripper Monday or Tuesday.
Old April 8th, 2019, 07:57 AM   #7
wired

Quote:

I bet, at your weight, if you skated a yellow cushion and blue cushion back to back, not knowing which was which, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. For me, the difference between yellow and purple is that with the yellow, you can easily create some turning with just a bit of pressure, where you would need more pressure with a purple. And blue, even less pressure. You seem to like that. I had FUN skating my purples. I am sorry if that destroys your fragile little world.

Congrats again for being Wired's little tool. He'll be sending you a fruit basket and a stripper Monday or Tuesday.
Oh really? And your basis for this bucket of foolishness?

Different cushions exist so one can tune their skates to their tastes and abilities. It takes quite a bit of time and effort to learn to be able to exploit the full capabilities of a skate's action. For most it takes months working their way down in durometer.

The skaters I know that have taken the time seldom go back to harder cushions. They know there is more "snap" in their ankles than any bit of energy robbing urethane.

Skate what you want but your assertion that "Blues exist so 98 pound skaters can get full turning" is inaccurate and rude. If you want to call names please keep it in the off topic section.

Old April 8th, 2019, 07:10 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default You sir, are confused.

Quote:

Obviously, you are in dire need of a lesson or two.

Lesson 1) I am not a tool. Therefore I cannot be wired or any other individual's "tool".

Lesson 2) What wired may or may not have "wanted" was irrelevant to my response. As long as you have been on Skate Log, you should know that by now.

I bet, at your weight, if you skated a yellow cushion and blue cushion back to back, not knowing which was which, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

@ all the different personal weights I have sk8ed over the last 10 years, I have had no trouble telling what was what in my action. I suspect even w/ a double blind test I would have no trouble telling them apart.

For me, the difference between yellow and purple is that with the yellow, you can easily create some turning with just a bit of pressure, where you would need more pressure with a purple. And blue, even less pressure.

I suspect that would apply to anyone that knows how to tune their sk8s..but hey, what do I know?? Oh wait, ALL my DA45 actions run @ zero lash. Can't loosen them any more and will NOT make them tighter

You seem to like that. I had FUN skating my purples. I am sorry if that destroys your fragile little world.

Whatever you care to ride does not "destroy" anything in my world, which is far far from fragile, BTW. Quite frankly, what you like to ride bothers me not one whit. My annoyance was you spouting some moronic formula for body weight vs cushion durometer. Ain't no such thing. If Roll Line was correct I would have the clear yellows (hardest) in my sk8s. Wrong.... I have the clear greens (softest). So the manufacturer says I need the hardest for my weight. I say I need the softest because that is what I roll.

Sadly the only "tool" in this discussion is the one that started name calling. Maybe the issue here is my response crushed your little world view??
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:52 PM   #9
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Sadly the only "tool" in this discussion is the one that started name calling. Maybe the issue here is my response crushed your little world view??
So, I take that as a "no" to paying for my orthopedic surgeon?

You know what crushed my world view, and it happened a long time ago. The SFDA45. You did a great thing creating and telling folks about it. I tried telling folks about it for a long time. You know who listened. No one. Well, no one in person. I got Susu to try it, and she loved it, but then got pissed when it made her a little slower. I thought that was a shame. You deal with a lot of skaters, so I'm sure your track record is better. I kind of laugh when I see people with a DA45 plate and skate it like a rental. Oh well. I guess what I am saying is, I don't HAVE a little world to crush. I stopped caring. Stopped putting emotional energy into it. I just skate. And that only once a week. I am big into biking these days. Easier on my knees and my ankle. To throw a little barb your way, you have ALWAYS been an *ss. And, that's really not even a big deal. I am one too. But folks put up with it from you because you have a ton of knowledge. Fair enough I guess.

I saw what wired was angling for from the start. I put my opinion out. None of your business anyway. I was just curious if you would take the bait. And like I have told wired and ursle over and over, who really cares what is said here. Who sees it? 3 people?
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:33 AM   #10
wired

Quote:
So, I take that as a "no" to paying for my orthopedic surgeon?
Orthopedic issues have nothing to do with it.

If you can skate yellows the structure of you ankle is fine enough for blues. What is missing is muscle and how your brain is able to control those muscles.

Old April 13th, 2019, 06:45 AM   #11
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Ya know, I've skated blues yellows and purples, on da10(probe and rock plates) and da45(alu avengers)

F those damn blues, yellows were ok for the probe and rock plates when the rubber bushed pivots were in it.

Purples for the rock plates(or probes) when using adjustable avanti trucks, flat washers instead of cups, shimmed the cushion heights so everything sits square, added a bit of grease between the cushion and the trucks so they squirm freely. Rebound is nothing. What rufus is really feeling is the action not being gummy, and the faster you skate and harder you turn the better the purples will perform over the blues.

The power loss from blues just isnt worth it IMO, the response is just not there when adding lateral pressures and torque. With proper skills you dont need super soft cushions unless you are skating slow all day long and doing very slow movements where there is an absence of inertia. Soft cushions wont help as much as some of the skating world would believe if ya ask me.

Personally, I cant stand it. It feels like slop. But after being on an arius for so long any kingpin plates just feel that way, some are better than others though.

Theres several of us on arius plates at our local rink.. which reminds me, I need to get one of those skaters to swap back to her avenger setup and compare it to the way her Arius is currently configured. Shes just now getting it broken in and adjusting to it.

I know people have tried my skates to find they cannot turn them, while others find they turn alot. Some people who said they couldn't turn mine I felt their skates weren't all that turny either, nor loose. But our foot beds in the boots were drastically different, so the input had to be as well.

We will all have different needs depending on how we skate, too much ease of turning is just as bad as not enough.
Old April 13th, 2019, 08:21 AM   #12
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
The power loss from blues just isnt worth it IMO, the response is just not there when adding lateral pressures and torque. With proper skills you dont need super soft cushions unless you are skating slow all day long and doing very slow movements where there is an absence of inertia. Soft cushions wont help as much as some of the skating world would believe if ya ask me.

Personally, I cant stand it. It feels like slop. But after being on an arius for so long any kingpin plates just feel that way, some are better than others though.

We will all have different needs depending on how we skate, too much ease of turning is just as bad as not enough.
I tried the blues years ago. Must have been later in 2010. The purples were great to start on. I moved to yellows, and liked the extra ease of turning that I didn't miss, or maybe think of losing the snap back. But, yeah. I hated the blues immediately. Guess I can't be part of the club. Boo hoo. But no, it was black and white for me: Liked purple, yellow, not blue.

These days, thanks to the nice fitness I am getting from my biking, I am going faster and harder. I am doing 2 hour rides, or longer pretty much daily. I can knock out a full 1.5 hour skate now. Haven't done that in years. In fact Thursday I did ride 23 miles and skated later. I'll do only 10 next so my legs will be a little fresher.

We had a fast skate Thursday that I did backward, and when going harder and faster, I was wanting for a stiffer cushion than my yellow. I couldn't push hard enough to get as much speed as I could have, and felt a little unstable on my left foot. Couldn't find those reds I thought I had to try them. Maybe they didn't make the move from California. Dunno if I will just take the purples off the Magnum or just order an extra set of purples and some reds to try out.
Old April 13th, 2019, 01:42 PM   #13
fierocious1

Just an observation, inlines are faster and do not have any snap back or return pressure. The turning snap back from cushions is not necessary but some people like it. Snapback is also from pivot angle.
With pivot angle being adjustable, snap back can be tuned out even with harder cushions.
All of this is up to the skater and their preferances. Being smooth and predictable is what I expect out of a skate.
Myself, I never cared for blues, they change stack height(thickness) under load on a DA45. On other than DA45, they will just be a softer cushion. My preference is just medium duro cushions.
Old April 13th, 2019, 07:23 PM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Just an observation, inlines are faster and do not have any snap back or return pressure. The turning snap back from cushions is not necessary but some people like it. Snapback is also from pivot angle.
With pivot angle being adjustable, snap back can be tuned out even with harder cushions.
All of this is up to the skater and their preferances. Being smooth and predictable is what I expect out of a skate.
Myself, I never cared for blues, they change stack height(thickness) under load on a DA45. On other than DA45, they will just be a softer cushion. My preference is just medium duro cushions.
Yeah, no snapback with inlines. On inlines, you, or I guess a skater, can kind of create it with tightening your turn. It's pretty much ALL I do on an inline. Overturn some, or actually, create an off balance condition, and then fix that off balance condition with a hard turn. I am virtually never in a balanced stride like a speed inline skater striding from one foot to another. I just go from arc to arc to arc.
Old April 13th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #15
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I tried the blues years ago. Must have been later in 2010. The purples were great to start on. I moved to yellows, and liked the extra ease of turning that I didn't miss, or maybe think of losing the snap back. But, yeah. I hated the blues immediately. Guess I can't be part of the club. Boo hoo. But no, it was black and white for me: Liked purple, yellow, not blue.

These days, thanks to the nice fitness I am getting from my biking, I am going faster and harder. I am doing 2 hour rides, or longer pretty much daily. I can knock out a full 1.5 hour skate now. Haven't done that in years. In fact Thursday I did ride 23 miles and skated later. I'll do only 10 next so my legs will be a little fresher.

We had a fast skate Thursday that I did backward, and when going harder and faster, I was wanting for a stiffer cushion than my yellow. I couldn't push hard enough to get as much speed as I could have, and felt a little unstable on my left foot. Couldn't find those reds I thought I had to try them. Maybe they didn't make the move from California. Dunno if I will just take the purples off the Magnum or just order an extra set of purples and some reds to try out.

Yea man I feel ya, get some grease and run purples, or even purple plate side red floor side(cone) a little lube in there really changes things alot.

There's alot of configurations one can run like double cones, double barrels, and all the colors of them in between. I never ran the reds myself.
Old April 13th, 2019, 09:29 PM   #16
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Yea man I feel ya, get some grease and run purples, or even purple plate side red floor side(cone) a little lube in there really changes things alot.

There's alot of configurations one can run like double cones, double barrels, and all the colors of them in between. I never ran the reds myself.
I remember a comment from years back. Someone said you could tune a DA45 to skate like an Advantage with harder cushions. Well, I've never had an Advantage. Might be something to try. LOL

No, my curiosity is really in overdrive now. I wanna try the reds. What's it gonna cost? The price of some cushions. I mean, I have been skating the exact same style, with a few new things added for 9 years. I want to change it up a little. It should be fun. And if not, It's not like I am losing anything.
Old April 13th, 2019, 09:57 PM   #17
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
I remember a comment from years back. Someone said you could tune a DA45 to skate like an Advantage with harder cushions. Well, I've never had an Advantage. Might be something to try. LOL

No, my curiosity is really in overdrive now. I wanna try the reds. What's it gonna cost? The price of some cushions. I mean, I have been skating the exact same style, with a few new things added for 9 years. I want to change it up a little. It should be fun. And if not, It's not like I am losing anything.
I'd get just red cones to try out. 4 of them would be 3nough to try any/all setup potentials on 1 skate. Even if running all cones.

Personally double barrel purples with grease on flat washers was pretty damn good all around. Edged like yellows without as much mushy feel.

Since I dont really touch standard kingpin plates anymore, I cant go testing them out.

A friend of mine now has an arius and used to skate an advantage, has also skated a proline. Another skated a proline and went to an Arius, neither of them ever went back. you can run soft cushions on them without wobble after they're broken in. Cushion hardnesses dont really make the plate more stable honestly.
Old April 14th, 2019, 03:22 PM   #18
ursle
Street Skater

Before this discussion goes any further down the rabbit hole.

Let's throw the arius out of this discussion.

Beginning skaters use harder cushions, advanced skaters use softer cushions, advanced skaters have taught their body (core) to balance better, hard cushions are like bicycle training wheels, softer cushions require less force to compress the cushion, better balance from hours of skating allow the skater to use less force turning, which translates into more fun, quicker turns and when skating fast, a pure form of advanced skating.(because of the balance required with soft cushions that don't limit the action, hard cushions are something to lean into and push against, soft cushions simply compress, the skater has to lean much further into them, and that comes with experience)

Top speed with soft cushions may be lower than with hard cushions because of the loss of energy to the cushions, if you want to skate at top speed get on inlines.

Cushions don't snap back, they absorbe energy both compressing and decompressing, hard cushions don't compress as much, so they decompress faster, but they aren't snapping energy into the turn, they are not a perpetual motion machine, they are simply less fun.
Old April 14th, 2019, 05:09 PM   #19
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Before this discussion goes any further down the rabbit hole.

Let's throw the arius out of this discussion.

Beginning skaters use harder cushions, advanced skaters use softer cushions, advanced skaters have taught their body (core) to balance better, hard cushions are like bicycle training wheels, softer cushions require less force to compress the cushion, better balance from hours of skating allow the skater to use less force turning, which translates into more fun, quicker turns and when skating fast, a pure form of advanced skating.(because of the balance required with soft cushions that don't limit the action, hard cushions are something to lean into and push against, soft cushions simply compressDeform the skater has to lean much further into them, and that comes with experience)

Top speed with soft cushions may be lower than with hard cushions because of the loss of energy to the cushions, if you want to skate at top speed get on inlines.

Cushions don't snap back, they absorbe energy both compressing and decompressing, hard cushions don't compress as much, so they decompress faster, but they aren't snapping energy into the turn, they are not a perpetual motion machine, they are simply less fun.
Firmness of a cushion needed depends on many things, not just skill level though.

If one needs more turning they may need one or more of the following: better form, more compliant cushions, suspension modifications such as increased cushion heights, flat washers instead of deep dished or shallow dished cups, firmer boots/new boots if a skate boot is I'll fitting or if the soles have become super soft, lubricated suspension, a shorter wheelbase, or more kingpin angle with the same wheelbase, a different wheel profile and lip design. There may be more than that but those are what stand out at the moment.

Firmer cushions have a greater tendency to reset to neutral at higher speeds, this is useful for high agility, high speed, hard skating where more resistance creates stability in high exertion situations, be it low speed and acceleration to high speed, or high speed skating with max agility where the support is welcomed. Also, when 1 foot slaloming, if you can compress a given cushion without issues or fatigue the extra resilience is very nice, it's not that it springs you onto the other edge. But it simply feels better. This is my take on SG yellows vs SG purples if both are greased and setup correctly.

I haven't bothered to go down from 80A in my arius plates, probably could just haven't bothered yet. But in those plates, cushion firmness is not what makes the plate stable. And They will carve a tighter circle than I have grip for at virtually any floor at any speed so, switching would likely not give me any advantage whatsoever

Going fast is fun in quads, and when you can hang with the inliners while in quads. Why switch? We already get yelled at for going fast, why would I want to use an innately faster skate so I can put forth even less effort? Lol. Also why give up that ultra loud hockey stop that can turn someone into a fainting goat??

Outdoors though.... inlines are king, but quads are still fun
Old April 15th, 2019, 12:19 AM   #20
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Silly putty. Jam skaters, of which I am not one, are arguably some of the best and most advanced skaters going. They use 10 degree plates and hard cushions. So there goes the soft cushion theory.

Use what you like, and toss out idiot opinions.

If hard cushions work for ya, run em.

If soft cushions feel better, use em.

It's roller skating folks, not rocket science.

If there is one thing I have learned in skating, you can never predict what an individual skater will or won't like. Best you can do is describe the differences in behavior of different setups, and let the skater choose which way to go. That's the bottom line.