S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old May 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #1
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Default Freedom of Speech and Opinions

Seems to be the basis for a free society. To be able to speak ones mind with no fear of ridicule is Paramount in the American physicy. If People want other than a free exchange of Ideas, then they shoud converse in private, so they can be assured of only hearing consenting opinions.----Just a thought after Skatin, and cold beers. Peace out my Hommies.
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #2
BleeckerSt_Girl

I agree with what you say.
However....if you go around saying things calculated to annoy others or disrupt their discussions or to trying to be funny at their expense, well then you should expect negative reactions from them. 'Ridicule'?- I don't think so. Yes you can say anything you want, but then so can others say anything they want about your comments.
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #3
speedysktr
President of Everything

You also have the option to keep your opinion to yourself. Would you walk up to a group of strangers on the street having a conversation about something and just butt in with the sole intention of disrupting their conversation? Maybe you would, but I doubt it. How about if you were mere acquaintances with one of the people? I doubt it. If you want to tout your all beef attitude, start your own conversation, but don't act surprised or victimized if someone reacts to a rude, uninvited intrusion.

Having the right or freedom to do something doesn't mean you should do it. If you fail to factor in the appropriate civility and decorum, then you are abusing the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
Sorry you must have me confused with that guy that cares what you think, or for that matter if you think. I post what I feel like posting, and call nobody out about it. If you somehow decide to take what I say personal, then you give me more credit than I deserve. I don't know you enough to get personal. Feel free to pass over my posts, they were obviously not meant for you. Simple enough for ya??
Perhaps this will be simple enough for you. As one forum guest to another forum guest, try to remember that we are guests here.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
I agree with what you say.
However....if you go around saying things calculated to annoy others or disrupt their discussions or to trying to be funny at their expense, well then you should expect negative reactions from them. 'Ridicule'?- I don't think so. Yes you can say anything you want, but then so can others say anything they want about your comments.
Admit it---yer sweet on Me ain't ya????
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
You also have the option to keep your opinion to yourself. Would you walk up to a group of strangers on the street having a conversation about something and just butt in with the sole intention of disrupting their conversation? Maybe you would, but I doubt it. How about if you were mere acquaintances with one of the people? I doubt it. If you want to tout your all beef attitude, start your own conversation, but don't act surprised or victimized if someone reacts to a rude, uninvited intrusion.

Having the right or freedom to do something doesn't mean you should do it. If you fail to factor in the appropriate civility and decorum, then you are abusing the right.

Perhaps this will be simple enough for you. As one forum guest to another forum guest, try to remember that we are guests here.
I need no invitations from you are anyone else. this is an open forum, not your personal little private chat room.---Talkin down to me like some Internet tuff guy , shows no class or respect. so be careful what ya wish for. Nobdy likes an internet bully. ---now find another leg to hump Sally.
Old May 24th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #6
skaterdog

Can I have permission to get in this conversation?
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Can I have permission to get in this conversation?
Not that you need it, but please feel free to join in. All thoughts on Free Speech are welcome. Or anything else that's on yer mind.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Drella
alive with pleasure

I laugh at you silly Americans,, always thinking someone cares what you have to say.
Drella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #9
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
I need no invitations from you are anyone else. this is an open forum, not your personal little private chat room.---Talkin down to me like some Internet tuff guy , shows no class or respect. so be careful what ya wish for. Nobdy likes an internet bully. ---now find another leg to hump Sally.
Where did I say you needed an invitation? Your reply is pretty funny, though. Thanks for the laugh. Wait, wait, what am I wishing for? Just curious.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM   #10
skaterdog

This forum has always been pretty liberal with it's guidelines. Kathie seems to be open minded and a proponent of free speech.

It's got a different flavor now that a lot of newer folks have jumped on board , which is fine.

JT is an old timer and set in his ways. going back to the about.com forum.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
Where did I say you needed an invitation? Your reply is pretty funny, though. Thanks for the laugh. Wait, wait, what am I wishing for? Just curious.
Find some one your own age to play with---I'm a busy Man.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #12
Drella
alive with pleasure

Dude, I'm thinking that speedy is trying to tell you- that if he finds your comments entertaining, he'll let you know.

But if he doesn't,, STFU!

Because you know Skateguy-- speedy has his finger on the pulse of what this forum wants!.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
I laugh at you silly Americans,, always thinking someone cares what you have to say.
It makes little difference to me what people want to hear. The important thing is having the freedom to say what ever is on your mind. as long as it is done in a courteous way. People can disagree with out being rude. My Ole Pappy taught me that much. Good manners in any discussion go a long way. If you don't get it, maybe it wasn't meant for you.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #14
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drella View Post
Dude, I'm thinking that speedy is trying to tell you- that if he finds your comments entertaining, he'll let you know.

But if he doesn't,, STFU!

Because you know Skateguy-- speedy has his finger on the pulse of what this forum wants!.
Speedy's not a problem. Just another guy with all the answers. must be nice.
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #15
Drella
alive with pleasure

Don't you sense my sense of humor?
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #16
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
This forum has always been pretty liberal with it's guidelines. Kathie seems to be open minded and a proponent of free speech.

It's got a different flavor now that a lot of newer folks have jumped on board , which is fine.

JT is an old timer and set in his ways. going back to the about.com forum.
I'm 61, and have been speaking my mind all my life, and have paid what ever price necessary to do so. I have no intentions of stopping now. But I do it with out malice or personal attacks. It's just ideas and thoughts on a puter. and nothin more.
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #17
skaterdog

Quote:
I'm 61, and have been speaking my mind all my life, and have paid what ever price necessary to do so. I have no intentions of stopping now. But I do it with out malice or personal attacks. It's just ideas and thoughts on a puter. and nothin more.

I agree. That's what a forum is about anyway. If worse comes to worse and you feel like saying somehting that might cross the line...just put a smiley face after it and you should be all set.

On the other hand...read the Hyper forum once in a while and you'll see what a forum can degenerate into.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #18
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

Quote:
I agree. That's what a forum is about anyway. If worse comes to worse and you feel like saying somehting that might cross the line...just put a smiley face after it and you should be all set.

On the other hand...read the Hyper forum once in a while and you'll see what a forum can degenerate into.
I am on several forums that have discussions on all types of subjects. The ones that work over time, are the ones that allow folks to speak their minds, yet do it in an mature manner. The ones where everybody just sits and waits to snipe at people, because they disagree with what they say---end up no fun, and there is little if any useful information exchanged. Being fun and spirited is one thing. But to call a person out, and call them insulting names, or tell them they should leave the forum, because one does not agree with what ever statement may have been made, if juvenile at best, and rude at worse.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #19
Drella
alive with pleasure

Quote:
But to call a person out, and call them insulting names, or tell them they should leave the forum, because one does not agree with what ever statement may have been made, if juvenile at best, and rude at worse.

You'll never be el presidente if you continue to run on this platform.....
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #20
Skateguy
"Fear No Evil"

I am neither a Leader, nor a follower. ---I'm a Skater, and go and do as I please. ---but if I bump someone along the way, I say "excuse me" then I'm on my way.