S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 21st, 2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Derrick

Default Waltz jump take off

I know I'm all over the board trying to learn everyting at once, but it's so fun!

Ok the take off. On the nice static friction on the floor I can get plenty of rotation for the Waltz Jump. But on wheels going slow on ROB I get just enough lift on the back wheels to allow the toes to splip back just enough to kill my jump to about 150 degrees rather than 180. I did not start from a mohak, would that give me enough to get that 30 degrees. I can jump harder with practice and pull it off that way. But perhaps someone knows how to keep the toes from slipping back. The landing is real good and I like the change in arc from arcing left to arcing right due to the edges.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Ancient1

Default Speed is your friend

Derrick,
It sounds crazy but speed is your friend in many ways. Go slow and fall hard. you have to force yourself to go as fast as you can and still hold a steady edge even when you are moving your torso. Do not go faster than that. Then go that speed and hold your frame with dynamic tension. Do everything with deliberation. Think of the jump in your mind over and over till your mind can do it without thought then do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
I know I'm all over the board trying to learn everyting at once, but it's so fun!

Ok the take off. On the nice static friction on the floor I can get plenty of rotation for the Waltz Jump. But on wheels going slow on ROB I get just enough lift on the back wheels to allow the toes to splip back just enough to kill my jump to about 150 degrees rather than 180. I did not start from a mohak, would that give me enough to get that 30 degrees. I can jump harder with practice and pull it off that way. But perhaps someone knows how to keep the toes from slipping back. The landing is real good and I like the change in arc from arcing left to arcing right due to the edges.
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
larryoracing

Smile Derrick, I was trying to figure out your problem.

a) A couple of weeks ago I tried to do an axel and I slipped off my front wheels, where they wanted to "slip back". I have not tried that jump in a while, but I want to go back to grippier wheels so I don't slip on the take off.

Maybe you need wheels that grip more?

b) I could say jump harder, but I think your problem is grip in the wheels.

Larry O

P.S. If I was doing and axel I would say jump higher and farther.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Derrick

Default Not jumping off ROF

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
a) A couple of weeks ago I tried to do an axel and I slipped off my front wheels, where they wanted to "slip back". I have not tried that jump in a while, but I want to go back to grippier wheels so I don't slip on the take off.

Maybe you need wheels that grip more?

b) I could say jump harder, but I think your problem is grip in the wheels.

Larry O

P.S. If I was doing and axel I would say jump higher and farther.
Found that I failed to jump off the edge, I was on the center. This and I needed to jump a bit harder, a little more knee bend. Also, I need a bit more speed, which I'm starting to work up to.

I found even on a straight two foot jump turn, starting off the edges helps rotation.

I improved my home take off area, I have concrete starting at a breakfast area through the kitchen and into the dining area giving me 40 feet straight shot. I had a small impediment that I removed (someone tried to nail a threshold into concrete). So I can come up to reasonable speed to waltz. I'm removing living room carpet as well ( it's worn, not just to skate on). But that will give me 73feet! Were not well off (well world standard, I live like a king) but I love my large concrete house.

I got a webcam setup, so I can post a video and get better feedback. Even I wonder what I look like. A year ago I did a little bunny hop on skates, and my oldest said, "You jump like a 4-year-old". I've improved but I don't know what I really look like.
Old June 25th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Derrick

Default Video: Opinion: Any hope for a proper waltz jump out of this?

http://youtu.be/J7F6so8XyCc

I'm going as fast as I can without removing more carpet and threading that needle everytime. Saturday is rink day.

Darn look quick
I accidentally have audio and it has Michel Jackson in the background. They'll probably pull it.
If they do, I'll remove the audio and re-upload.

Ah ha, I changed the background music to Handle perhaps youtube will keep it on. Unless they just check the original audio.

Geez I had one, forgot to hit record, two left a chair on the way, 3 baby sitting and the client got into view no permission to send her video up, 4 moved camera, 5. finally got video and had copy-written music in it.

Last edited by Derrick; June 25th, 2014 at 11:59 PM. Reason: it's there and error in url
Old June 26th, 2014, 12:01 AM   #6
Ancient1

Derrick,

Not bad, but I hate to tell you that the jump you are doing is called a Mohawk jump. Still not bad learning it on your own. Not bad at all. All that needs now is some clean up on your posture and body position and it will look great.

If you were to just step instead of jump it would be a Mohawk turn. The waltz jump would be to take the free leg (the one that is in the air and that you will be landing on after you do the jump) should swing forward and you rotate around that leg and land on it. For the Mohawk jump you leave it behind and jump on it. Still not bad. To bad you didn't show your face. It would be nice to see the person behind the name.

Thanks for the vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
http://youtu.be/J7F6so8XyCc

I'm going as fast as I can without removing more carpet and threading that needle everytime. Saturday is rink day.

Darn look quick
I accidentally have audio and it has Michel Jackson in the background. They'll probably pull it.
If they do, I'll remove the audio and reupload.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 10:17 PM   #7
Ancient1

I'm glad you are doing better now