S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 8th, 2019, 01:49 PM   #1
AZSHOT

Default Bont Quad Racer or Solaris

Hi Doc,
My ancient 295's you mounted the Royals on are starting to wear out. Also, they've always caused forward foot cramps after an hour or so. Not your fault, my Oberhamer 61s, Riedell 695s do too. All those are old, vintage boots, with a heel. I'm thinking of trying a new boot, without a heel. Either the Bont Quad Racer or the Solaris.

I have a regular width front foot, size 9.5 fits me best. But I have toe problems mostly on the left, the big toe is turning inwards, with a bump where the first joint (the part you measure with a Brannok device) that needs a tad more room. I've also found with hiking or walking shoes I get horrible cramps in the ball area if I don't have a wide shoe. If I wear sandals there is never pain, even on long hikes. I take that to mean I need wide.

Or would sticking with a low heal be better? Maybe the new 595 or 695? I don't like the rough leather Riedell puts in them now, so was leaning towards the Solaris, that looks more comfortable.

What would be the better boot for a mostly recreational session skater that still likes to do speed some. As a reminder, I'm experienced....been skating for 40 years! Thx.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:48 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Hi Doc,
My ancient 295's you mounted the Royals on are starting to wear out. Also, they've always caused forward foot cramps after an hour or so. Not your fault, my Oberhamer 61s, Riedell 695s do too. All those are old, vintage boots, with a heel. I'm thinking of trying a new boot, without a heel. Either the Bont Quad Racer or the Solaris.

Unfortunately, your Royal would not be happy on either of those. I build special Plates for Bonts and Solaris that do not have hanger rivets hanging out of the back.

I have a regular width front foot, size 9.5 fits me best. But I have toe problems mostly on the left, the big toe is turning inwards, with a bump where the first joint (the part you measure with a Brannok device) that needs a tad more room.

Bunion. I have one on my right foot.

I've also found with hiking or walking shoes I get horrible cramps in the ball area if I don't have a wide shoe. If I wear sandals there is never pain, even on long hikes. I take that to mean I need wide.

Brannock measurements?? Both feet.

Or would sticking with a low heal be better? Maybe the new 595 or 695? I don't like the rough leather Riedell puts in them now, so was leaning towards the Solaris, that looks more comfortable.

One can get the nice leather on any Riedell for an up charge. Just contact a competent Riedell dealer.. like me.

What would be the better boot for a mostly recreational session skater that still likes to do speed some. As a reminder, I'm experienced....been skating for 40 years! Thx.

Shoot me a PM please.
Old May 29th, 2019, 04:19 PM   #3
AZSHOT

I sent a PM and email.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 04:17 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up Got 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
I sent a PM and email.
I'll get back to ya in a short while. I am swamped @ the moment.