S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #61
SSpinball
Playland ~ Austin, Tx.
 
SSpinball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Austin, TX.
Posts: 278
Default The Edea Fly

here is my 2 cents, ..and I am a freestyle skater, mostly backwards.
Last year, I wanted to upgrade my skate setup, and I choose the Fly.
mostly because I am more of an old school skater used to the higher tops,
I did not want to go with a low cut shoe, I wanted something very lite weight.
and the Fly has built in cooling system, I am still very happy with my sectection.
First Fly is moldable, do this and you have "0" break-in, put them on and go.
they will hold your foot tight, they have narrow tall heels,(too Tall)
even the in-sole inserts have air cooling holes, the Boot material will floor burn.
the sole is made from some of the toughest compond I have ever seen,hard to drill tru.
it will hold it's curved shape, I would suggest using the Edea wedge with this boot.
They are not cheap.. cost. your feet will not move in the boots they fit snug and stay in place.
as they say picture is worth a thousand words !
__________________
My skates ~ Roll-Line Dance, Rapido wheels, Swiss Gold bearings, and Edea FLY Boot.
SSpinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #62
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
The 2010 is very stiff, and most suited to ice skating, or figures. The only guy I knew who used them for roller skating did not like them, at all.

AHH thank you. the 336 retains better flexibility then? Looks like the 336 is the forefront runner for riedell then
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #63
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpinball View Post
here is my 2 cents, ..and I am a freestyle skater, mostly backwards.
Last year, I wanted to upgrade my skate setup, and I choose the Fly.
mostly because I am more of an old school skater used to the higher tops,
I did not want to go with a low cut shoe, I wanted something very lite weight.
and the Fly has built in cooling system, I am still very happy with my sectection.
First Fly is moldable, do this and you have "0" break-in, put them on and go.
they will hold your foot tight, they have narrow tall heels,(too Tall)
even the in-sole inserts have air cooling holes, the Boot material will floor burn.
the sole is made from some of the toughest compond I have ever seen,hard to drill tru.
it will hold it's curved shape, I would suggest using the Edea wedge with this boot.
They are not cheap.. cost. your feet will not move in the boots they fit snug and stay in place.
as they say picture is worth a thousand words !

Your picture is very seducing. I also like how you broke it all down for me. I know the guy at the rink who's gonna let me try his pair (again he's a size 10 i'm like an 8 or 8 1/2 so it wont be a perfect fit obviously) told me that they were not heat moldable, so he either isn't as imformed or he was told something else. I think he got them a year or two ago, but i'd image the fly has always been heat moldable? He also told me his does NOT have the wedge installed, and everytime he toed off it was painful for him and his big toenail is all chipped up and bent funny from using them.

I was originally looking towards getting the fly, but I'm 50/50 now between it and the riedell 336 simply becuase when i tried that same guys risport (he only brought what he currently skates which is the risport) it was so bulky around my foot and felt very stiff and akward. I wont go as far as to say i couldn't skate backwards in them but everything felt very wide and exagerated when i was moving.. Granted he had atlas plates on there and i'm more used to a roll line navigator/mistral (or the suregrip century on those free riedells i have) but it was a big change, not to mention at first it felt like my left leg wanted to keep going to the left a bit (i'm wondering if he doesnt have a perfectly straight mount job), but most of all what got me besides how stiff they were, was the fact that a size 10 was still squeezing my feet on the left and right.

I'm gonna get a flexible tape measure tonight and try to get a good idea of the width of my foot (as per how reidell recommends you measure them), cuz even if its heat moldable if it's only coming in a narrow foot size for people with fairly narrow feet, it may never work out for me and at least riedell offers the 336 in a 'wide' size which edea doesnt offer.. One thing he was right about was that the guy from skates.us is pretty busy and i may not get a response to my questions i sent him last week which i still haven't. I'll ask him if he dosent mind me taking pictures of his fly (what they did to it) and how its mounted supposedly without a wedge. Had his story been a little less bad about the edea i'd probably still be 90% edea and 10% riedell..

As i'm used to about no ankle support, having such a stiff boot is quite a change for me, meanwhile this free riedell i was given the leather is so floppy and non supportive all it does is feel tight when i kneel down.. but other than that not too constrictive or stiff or anything.. and that (for right now) feels slightly more natural to me than the risport did...Not saying I couldn't adjust.. Just confused still..

BUT I appreciate all your guyses feedback. I read through all your posts 2-3 times to really ingrain this info into my head.
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #64
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!
 
slhallford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rancho Cordova, CA
Posts: 1,672
Default

Definitely get the wedge with the Roll Line plates. I have them on both of my pairs but I skated the first few months on both without them. The difference for me was noticeable in how it changed the feeling from having a skate hanging off my leg to a feeling of a more natural extension of my leg combined with my skate. It also made a huge difference in the amount of pressure my neuroma was getting on the bottom of the ball of my left foot. I can see where chipped up toenails and foot pain would put someone off on a boot/plate combo. The wedges are an inexpensive and easy fix.

S
__________________
Sarah
I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso
slhallford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #65
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Good info guys on the 336, sounds like it wouldn't be a bad option either. Simply becuas ei'm used to more flexibility, and kind of getting 'used' to this older 297 (or whatever it is) that i have, the 336 might not be a bad step up, might give me a bit more comfort while not feeling completely alien like the risport did.. I'm gonna try kelly's edea probably on saturday so i'm not buying anything for a week or so.

Is the riedell 2010 worth the extra bucks over the 336? (josh had only mentioned the 336 as one to look into)

and i'm thinking an energy steel on whichever boot i get.. Matrix seems a bit expensive in comparison and i cant imagine it lost that much weight on it?
336 might be the way to go for you then, i didnt know it was that much shorter then the 297 but thats cool, i knew it had the padding and edging but never tried one myself although i seen them and mounted them.

the steel is an excellant rolline plate and later if you want you can upgrade a bit by changing the king pins and hardware.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #66
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,329
Default

Jinx, why not rip the navigators from the Bonts, and have them mounted to your new Reidell Tributes? You could still use the Bonts as cycling shoes, all the while saving big bucks. I really doubt the Roll-Line Energy steel would be such an improvement over the navigator.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #67
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
336 might be the way to go for you then, i didnt know it was that much shorter then the 297 but thats cool, i knew it had the padding and edging but never tried one myself although i seen them and mounted them.

the steel is an excellant rolline plate and later if you want you can upgrade a bit by changing the king pins and hardware.
Rick, I measured my 297 against the 336. Both boots taper at the top, being lower in the back. The 297 tapers from 7 down to 6 inches. The 336 tapers from 6 1/4 to 5 1/4 inches.

While we are on the subject of leather lined boots, a caveat: after skating, wipe the inside of the boots with a towel. If you put them in a skate bag, don't leave the in their without unzipping the bag, and allowing the skates to further dry. Whenever I buy something with a silicone packet, I save it. I have about six of them in my skate bag, absorbing moisture.

Also treat the inside leather with a good leather conditioner. If you skate as often as I do, 3-4 days per week, you will want to apply conditioner frequently. I use Lexol.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #68
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
336 might be the way to go for you then, i didnt know it was that much shorter then the 297 but thats cool, i knew it had the padding and edging but never tried one myself although i seen them and mounted them.

the steel is an excellant rolline plate and later if you want you can upgrade a bit by changing the king pins and hardware.

Wiat do you mean i can 'upgrade it' to the titanium just by changing those things? thats interesting as the titanium version is nearly twice the price! but that might be nice to keep in consideration! I assume the energy will handle like my mistral as it looks almost exactly like it to my eyes, I'm not even exactly sure what the 100 dollar difference is besides the ergal alunimum upgrade? (and is that really worth it? I know nothing about skate materials).


You've mounted the 336's? They seem to be pretty nice boots to you? And i shouldn't be losing anything in terms of performance vs an edea or risport right?
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #69
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Jinx, why not rip the navigators from the Bonts, and have them mounted to your new Reidell Tributes? You could still use the Bonts as cycling shoes, all the while saving big bucks. I really doubt the Roll-Line Energy steel would be such an improvement over the navigator.

the one major reason is that when i had the bonts build i went with a 'short' plate so instead of being the recommended 170mm the bonts are on a 160mm. And from what i was reading this isn't so much recommended for freestyle they recommend using exactly what roll-line recommends?

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9980580..._2228_24624642

Another thing is (and I'm really confused about this) after measuring my foot with tracing it on a paper with a pen how edea was recommendeding, then using a ruler on it, Riedell's site is saying i should be ordering a size 9! not an 8 like my bont? thats confusing, but either way, on a size 9 boot the roll line chart says go even bigger, to a 180mm!

So that was my thoughts on why i needed another plate (that and I may still want to use the bonts for session skate, as for right now, i start out the first hour in my bonts and warm up and wagle around, then i put the 297's or whatever they are on and practice waltz jumps and such.

But another question i was posing to myself originally was to get the Mariner cup as its MEGA cheaper (and i get a discount that makes it pretty affordable). But then i wondered, why not get the mistral it has some material machined out, is probably lighter,... and finally thought "well the energy steel is just as light but probably stronger since its a better aluminum so i wont have to worry about being to hard on them (being 180 pounds).
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #70
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,329
Default Plate size

Jinx, later, I realized you had a short forward mount from the Doc.

The Reidell measurement chart will be almost exact to your street shoe size. I see a chart on Create a Skate, which recommends a 180 for your boot size.
http://www.create-a-skate.com/roplsi.htmlHaving the front axle under the ball of your foot is the recommended placement. You should call Skates US, and ask for some recommendations. The owner is a championship skater.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #71
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Jinx, later, I realized you had a short forward mount from the Doc.

The Reidell measurement chart will be almost exact to your street shoe size. I see a chart on Create a Skate, which recommends a 180 for your boot size.
http://www.create-a-skate.com/roplsi.htmlHaving the front axle under the ball of your foot is the recommended placement. You should call Skates US, and ask for some recommendations. The owner is a championship skater.
That chart scares me as it seems off from the one i posted which seems roll line specific?

I wrote an email to him mostly asking about the FLY skate boot, haven't gotten a reply to that yet, I'm still actually actually trying to figure out the boot situation first, but Once i have it I'll need to know the right size plate, I just now realized the Energy (i think i'm getting that one in steel variety) comes in half sizes too... which gives me even more options. I find it funny i'd have an even better plate on my 'freestyle boots' which who knows if i'll stick with the frystyle (I really like it right now but who knows in a few months/years?) but I dont want to get spend 100 bucks less and always think "Well if i had just spend 100 dollars more back when i bought these plates i could have gotten the energy which were probably a little strong/lighter than the mistrals".. so thats how i got to where i am with the plate decision!

I may put a call into them once i have the boot picked out, but i'm not sure if they'll know about matching a roll-line with a riedell should i choose the 336 boot... (still completely confused right now).

thank YOU as well for your input though, I appreciate it soo much!
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #72
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,329
Default Plate size chart

Jinx, the chart from create a skate is accurate for Roll-Line. It just doesn't contain the info for plates available in 1/2 sizes.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:57 AM   #73
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

A lady that skates at our rink has a pair of reidell 220's i believe, still fairly newish condition, they are 8 1/2 which is in theory somewhere close to my size (my bonts are 8) i'm wondering if she'd let me try them on, if so, how close would the 336 feel in terms of comfort to aset of 220's?
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #74
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
A lady that skates at our rink has a pair of reidell 220's i believe, still fairly newish condition, they are 8 1/2 which is in theory somewhere close to my size (my bonts are 8) i'm wondering if she'd let me try them on, if so, how close would the 336 feel in terms of comfort to aset of 220's?
the size might help and the 220s have more padding and are a bit more stiff and they also have a thinner sole and a lower heel. the heel might be more comfortable for you and doesnt put you on your toes as much. because of the way they are constructive they wont feel anything like the 336, but more of a stiffer 297 i would say. also the tongue liner is different. its a thinner rubber.

ask her to try them on for fit if nothing else. are her 8 1/2 mens or ladys??
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #75
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
Wiat do you mean i can 'upgrade it' to the titanium just by changing those things? thats interesting as the titanium version is nearly twice the price! but that might be nice to keep in consideration! I assume the energy will handle like my mistral as it looks almost exactly like it to my eyes, I'm not even exactly sure what the 100 dollar difference is besides the ergal alunimum upgrade? (and is that really worth it? I know nothing about skate materials).


You've mounted the 336's? They seem to be pretty nice boots to you? And i shouldn't be losing anything in terms of performance vs an edea or risport right?
unless they changed the plate material i think the plates are identical as far as composition goes, the change is in the hardware, king pins, nuts, etc and also i think the other thing is the trucks could be different, not sure these days but they also have a titanium axle i think.

yes the 336s are a very nice boot. depending on which edea or risport i dont think you will lose much, but they might be a bit shorter on the ankle then them. i havent seen them lately or side by side so hard to say for sure.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:14 AM   #76
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
the size might help and the 220s have more padding and are a bit more stiff and they also have a thinner sole and a lower heel. the heel might be more comfortable for you and doesnt put you on your toes as much. because of the way they are constructive they wont feel anything like the 336, but more of a stiffer 297 i would say. also the tongue liner is different. its a thinner rubber.

ask her to try them on for fit if nothing else. are her 8 1/2 mens or ladys??

OH i didnt ask, i dumbly assumbed all riedells were one size (i.e. mens) They are probably lady's and i probably wont even be able to get my foot in there..

If she's there i'll ask her if i can try them on.. I'd still probably get the 336, Cuz wouldn't the slightly higher heel make better for good posture on spins mid jump and such?
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM   #77
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
unless they changed the plate material i think the plates are identical as far as composition goes, the change is in the hardware, king pins, nuts, etc and also i think the other thing is the trucks could be different, not sure these days but they also have a titanium axle i think.

yes the 336s are a very nice boot. depending on which edea or risport i dont think you will lose much, but they might be a bit shorter on the ankle then them. i havent seen them lately or side by side so hard to say for sure.

Okay I was actually thinking the 336 would be taller on the ankle, Just from viewing pictuers on the internet of the boots .. it 'looks' like the edea is actually shorter , but then again it does have a higher heel so maybe its just an illusion. Lower cut doesnt bother me at all cuz as i said, I feel like these 297's (or WHATEVER they actually are) are too high and actually kinda of bug me when i try to lean down for a jump or other low move (The boot starts to get tight around my legs and constricts me from bending down any further.. Not exactly agreeable to me..
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:15 AM   #78
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Darn you RWSZ... I got so excited about 'trying' a lutz from the video you posted to that toestop thread, that I attempted a few tonight.. I didnt break anything or anyting, but boy was it ugly! actually The first 2-3 I survived then the next 2-3 i learned by doing what i see from other people, i.e. bringing my right foot up few inches then letting it fall like a hammer kind of helped! I think i made it almost all the way around 2-3 times.. Though i was always landing on 2 feet, and after about 7-8 of these jumps i couldn't keep a straight posture or something anymore cuz i just got really sloppy, Wasn't making it all the way around and was just feeling strained and exhaused after a while.. got a few videos but they were the last 4-5 i did and were extremely bad!

But it did teach me one thing.. That i can keep practicing a lutz, even if i'm absolutely terrible at it now, and leaning to the right, and not taking off right and not gettnig very high and not keeping my back straight, I at least attempted it and lived through it, I feel proud, cuz i can keep practicing it now.. sometimes a move seems SO Far above you that you cant even practice it becuase you cant get any of the parts right, but on the lutz, i can at least get little bits of it right enough that i'm not falling completely on my face!

Happy I tried.. not proud that i couldn't really achive it (and it will be a little while before i'm 1 foot landing these) But happy i gave it a shot!
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #79
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,845
Default

sorry Jinx just keep practicing and asking a bit of help from josh might help too. dont forget you dont get your takeoff entirely from the toe stop but from lifting your free leg up and in and your arms also for the rotation. if not Josh Kyle can show you properly.

yeah womens and mens boot are about 1 to 1 1/2 sizes difference. i still think you might need a wide boot , but depends on the rest of your foot and not just the toes. good luck with it all.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 04:03 AM   #80
Jinx
Senior Member
 
Jinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle,wa
Posts: 349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
sorry Jinx just keep practicing and asking a bit of help from josh might help too. dont forget you dont get your takeoff entirely from the toe stop but from lifting your free leg up and in and your arms also for the rotation. if not Josh Kyle can show you properly.

yeah womens and mens boot are about 1 to 1 1/2 sizes difference. i still think you might need a wide boot , but depends on the rest of your foot and not just the toes. good luck with it all.

Oh i'm sure i did 100 things wrong actually. I kind of dont want to bug them too much, as it was only my first time i'm actually impressed i even attempted it.. Not doing any other full 360 moves this one is kind of new groupd in a lot of ways for me. I didnt know about the free leg coming up and in, i was almost keeping it straight down the whole time..

Here's a vid where I kinda fell. I realize i'm not straight when i'm jumping/spinning but i haven't mastered the trick to keep it straight yet.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1y7kz1lhgU

Gal wasn't there this week with the 220's. But i'm hoping the artistic guy shows tomorrow with those Edea's (fly) in size 10, a little big for me, but i can at least 'try' them to see what they feel like..
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.