S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 3rd, 2019, 12:26 AM   #1
netplaceus
David

Default Oldest person to do a double axle in or out of competition

I'm just curious what the human limit seems to be or if there are others crazy enough to be pushing it past 60.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 04:10 AM   #2
Ancient1

I wouldn't try any 2 and a half jumps or triple jumps at my age, but I think I could handle any of the true double jumps (2 complete rotations and not 2.5 rotations). I am still waiting till I get medicare so that I can cover the cost of broken bones and concussion. That is actually the truth. I won't even try to skate anymore till I can cover the damage costs. I also still need to lost about 80 lbs before I jump again. So that only makes me marginally crazy...
Old February 3rd, 2019, 04:14 AM   #3
Ancient1

If you think I am joking, take a look at my active ICON. That is me doing a single mapes at age 55 and at about 310 lbs. Now that was crazy.

That year I snapped an arm in 2 places and had a massive concussion. My wife tossed my skates in the trash. I almost divorced her over it. No joke about that. But I will get another pair of skates once I get my weight down and I have medicare.

Truth: The Icon is me jumping as I stated above.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 07:08 AM   #4
netplaceus
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
If you think I am joking, take a look at my active ICON. That is me doing a single mapes at age 55 and at about 310 lbs. Now that was crazy.

That year I snapped an arm in 2 places and had a massive concussion. My wife tossed my skates in the trash. I almost divorced her over it. No joke about that. But I will get another pair of skates once I get my weight down and I have medicare.

Truth: The Icon is me jumping as I stated above.
Thanks for the reply, that pretty crazy alright, my hats of to you.

I have never broken anything yet, zero health issues. Workout 3 days a week, 170 lbs @ 6'2. But I have the luck of genetics (so far anyway, could change any time!), unmarried and have lots of time.

Yes, at 310 lbs the forces involved would be dangerous jumping even if you were 18 years old. But if you don't skate real fast, don't jump, I don't think you are likely to get hurt even at that weight and age.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:58 AM   #5
rwsz

i seen skaters in their 40s do triples and double axles and maybe even 1 or 2 of them around 50 but not much further then that
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:17 PM   #6
Ancient1

When I'm on skates, I just can't and I mean CAN'T skate slow and just go around in a circle. I have to jump and spin. Did you ever get a feeling you want to yawn? If you don't yawn when you get that urge, you just can't relax and all you do is think about it. It's like an itch you can't scratch. Doing jumps, spins, turns, dance is just like a needing to yawn or scratch an itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
Thanks for the reply, that pretty crazy alright, my hats of to you.

I have never broken anything yet, zero health issues. Workout 3 days a week, 170 lbs @ 6'2. But I have the luck of genetics (so far anyway, could change any time!), unmarried and have lots of time.

Yes, at 310 lbs the forces involved would be dangerous jumping even if you were 18 years old. But if you don't skate real fast, don't jump, I don't think you are likely to get hurt even at that weight and age.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:21 PM   #7
Ancient1

Hi Rick,

My reflexes are not what the use to be. I still have muscle memory and I know that I can do all of the doubles. Anything more than that I think my twitch muscles and nervous system just isn't capable of that movement anymore, but then again I might surprise myself. Wouldn't that be a hoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
i seen skaters in their 40s do triples and double axles and maybe even 1 or 2 of them around 50 but not much further then that
Old February 5th, 2019, 09:49 AM   #8
Derrick

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
When I'm on skates, I just can't and I mean CAN'T skate slow and just go around in a circle. I have to jump and spin. Did you ever get a feeling you want to yawn? If you don't yawn when you get that urge, you just can't relax and all you do is think about it. It's like an itch you can't scratch. Doing jumps, spins, turns, dance is just like a needing to yawn or scratch an itch.
Oh , I know, and that perfect song ........ I just go crazy(er). Although I just do little jumps and mostly two foot spins. It still feels great.
Old February 5th, 2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Ancient1

Hi Derrick,
Yes, it does feel great... Nothing like scratching that skating itch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
Oh , I know, and that perfect song ........ I just go crazy(er). Although I just do little jumps and mostly two foot spins. It still feels great.