S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old September 25th, 2016, 06:32 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile Skated with a girl, for the first time in 40 years.

I know many on this internet are not to interested in skating with the girls?

But, since all my skating is based on the old RSROA program where if you skated, you skated dance and it was mandatory that you do it with a girl...lol!

So, my basic skating career was skating with a girl for about 7 years.

When I came back to skating a few years ago, I saw girls and I saw boys skating but I don't think I ever saw any boy and girl skating together?

Now, I'm in a skating club and I have seen many boys and girls skating together, but they are old, very professional/seasoned roller skaters and they win at Nationals. But they are not stationed in Southern California. They come all around the states to train at Fountain Valley.

Basically every time I brought up the subject about a boy and girl skating I got shot down...lol!

But recently I was talking to Jackie one of the skating pros at Fountain Valley.
I expressed my concern. She said "Larry, I have been thinking about having the boys and girls skate together in the Saturday Beginning Class?"

So, I decided to join the Saturday Jr. Skating Club.

And guess what? Jackie got on the microphone and said "boys and girls grab a partner". Coach Shelby and Jackie instructed us on the hand/arm holding position. Most chose the cross arm/hand holding position. I grabbed my partner, one of the older girls and I skated edges down the straights and glide waltz around the corner with her in the cross arm holding position.

I told Jackie how excited I was, She slapped my hand "High Five" in the air and smiled, Larry's dream had finally come true.

Needless to say I will be joining this class every Saturday morning just to skate with a girl. A lot of the older skaters are joining this class.

I truly think we are going to have a lot of fun. Both Coaches said I could join the class and encouraged me to come/join in the fun! I had a lot of fun/I really enjoyed the class. We learned basic figures, freestyle and dance. What more could a skater want?

I have been wanting to skate with a girl for a long time. Just something I was trained to do all my skating life...lol!

Larry O and happy Dance Team Skating! Grap a partner and let's go do it...lol
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #2
PACAskater

Default Yaaaaaay Larry!!

Good for you Larry!!!! Junior Club is a lot of fun!!! I hope everybody feels the enthusiasm that you do!
PACAskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #3
Gee

Before I trained in dance with a partner, my wife (then my grilfriend) would attend practice. When I trained in dance with a partner, she stopped attending practice. I remember one of the early lessons learnt was that you and your partner have to assist each other with the Mohawk turns.
Old September 26th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #4
larryoracing

Smile Gee thanks for the post!

Quote:
Before I trained in dance with a partner, my wife (then my girlfriend) would attend practice. When I trained in dance with a partner, she stopped attending practice.
Yeah, that girl and boy thing is a tough animal to crack..lol! I wonder what your wife will say when you find a new dance partner. That is coming I can guarantee you that..lol!

I got my girlfriend/fiancee into skating. First it was ice skating. Now, she is roller skating at a far away distant rink...lol! I told her about skating with a girl at the rink this Saturday. A couple of years ago she would of been furious with me, now she understands and is truely excited for me and my skating endeavor. She's backing me 100%. That is a blessing. Just like you and everybody else skating is really important to me.

Quote:
I remember one of the early lessons learnt was that you and your partner have to assist each other with the Mohawk turns.
Yeah, and also you have to get around or ahead of the girl when you do it.
Let's face it, when you do a mohawk turn face to face, you got to get past the girl, so you have to get ahead of her and complete the turn.

You can guide the girl into this position/square. But if your partner cannot assist you, you have to get in front of her and keep the square/tracking with feet/skates at all times Get out of tracking, that's when you will crash and burn..lol!

Sincerely,

Larry O...lol!
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:14 AM   #5
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
Yeah, that girl and boy thing is a tough animal to crack..lol! I wonder what your wife will say when you find a new dance partner. That is coming I can guarantee you that..lol!

I got my girlfriend/fiancee into skating. First it was ice skating. Now, she is roller skating at a far away distant rink...lol! I told her about skating with a girl at the rink this Saturday. A couple of years ago she would of been furious with me, now she understands and is truely excited for me and my skating endeavor. She's backing me 100%. That is a blessing. Just like you and everybody else skating is really important to me.

Yeah, and also you have to get around or ahead of the girl when you do it.
Let's face it, when you do a mohawk turn face to face, you got to get past the girl, so you have to get ahead of her and complete the turn.

You can guide the girl into this position/square. But if your partner cannot assist you, you have to get in front of her and keep the square/tracking with feet/skates at all times Get out of tracking, that's when you will crash and burn..lol!

Sincerely,

Larry O...lol!
ok so the question is why arent u skating with your fiancee????
Old September 26th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #6
larryoracing

Smile She is presently in another country.

And will be there for another year or so. We have talked about skating together but she is a beginner ( 1 month on roller skates, 6 months total on ice).

So, I don't know if she would be a good prospect for me or not?

My gut instinct tells me I will have to wait three years to find a partner. And if I'm lucky skate with that girl for two years.

Larry O

P.S. You would think there would be a lot of skaters for a 62 year old man to skate with. But really there are not that many. And many skating teams have to travel to find a partner, if they really want one. I'm not that serious...lol! And not that it matter but the Veteran Team Dance at Nationals has 29 teams represented and most of those competitors are teachers, national Champions and skaters who have skated all their lives. You better be serious if you want to skate against those people...lol!
Old September 26th, 2016, 09:09 PM   #7
rwsz

Quote:
And will be there for another year or so. We have talked about skating together but she is a beginner ( 1 month on roller skates, 6 months total on ice).

So, I don't know if she would be a good prospect for me or not?

My gut instinct tells me I will have to wait three years to find a partner. And if I'm lucky skate with that girl for two years.

Larry O

P.S. You would think there would be a lot of skaters for a 62 year old man to skate with. But really there are not that many. And many skating teams have to travel to find a partner, if they really want one. I'm not that serious...lol! And not that it matter but the Veteran Team Dance at Nationals has 29 teams represented and most of those competitors are teachers, national Champions and skaters who have skated all their lives. You better be serious if you want to skate against those people...lol!
ok that makes sense, you would think you would be able to get a partner at any rink around you. i guess some just want solo as they dont have to deal with a partner and its easier on them.
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Gee

Quote:
She has been through it with ballroom dancing. I had a partner for American Ballroom and a partner for Latin Ballroom. She took an interest in learning the Latin Hustle and other dances; she never took enough interest to compete. She was very timid about performing in front of other people and had to learn to overcome it. On the day of our wedding, she danced her heart out. She still loves dancing the Latin Hustle. This is the style we used back in 1979. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI01MW_PDw4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9DBrbFyzI

Right now, I only plan on refreshing my memory of the roller dance steps with a partner.
Old September 27th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #9
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
She has been through it with ballroom dancing. I had a partner for American Ballroom and a partner for Latin Ballroom. She took an interest in learning the Latin Hustle and other dances; she never took enough interest to compete. She was very timid about performing in front of other people and had to learn to overcome it. On the day of our wedding, she danced her heart out. She still loves dancing the Latin Hustle. This is the style we used back in 1979. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI01MW_PDw4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9DBrbFyzI

Right now, I only plan on refreshing my memory of the roller dance steps with a partner.
i dont think she will mind after the ballroom but u never know what is deep into a womans mind lol. i thought you were the guy at first on the video lol. enjoy
Old September 28th, 2016, 06:31 AM   #10
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the post Gee and Rick!

Quote:
On the day of our wedding, she danced her heart out. She still loves dancing the Latin Hustle. This is the style we used back in 1979.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI01MW_PDw4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9DBrbFyzI

It never stops to amaze me the stuff you can learn when you venture to expose what you like about skating. Thanks for the link...Gee. Fantastic!

Quote:
If you find a partner to refresh your steps, you are truly a lucky man...lol!

---------------------------------

Quote:
ok that makes sense, you would think you would be able to get a partner at any rink around you. i guess some just want solo as they don't have to deal with a partner and its easier on them.
Rick I think much of what you say is correct, but I think if one bows down to help others learn how to Partner Skate, there will be many partners to skate with.

For example I can think of four people I could skate with. They would not be good partners for me for competition. But just helping someone Partner skate helps me learn to regain skating with a partner and refresh some memories I have when I skated 40 years ago.

The people I'm thinking about are not Tommi, they are other beginner skaters who I think would love to skate with a partner, but like Tommi have never skated with a partner.

The trick is as with if I skated with Tommi is to not trip them or let them trip you. That is why the cross arm holding position in the beginning Saturday class' is a good starting point. As we gain confidence you can go into the "Side B" holding position.

I'm am determined to push this partner skating idea. If I can continue to get encouragement from the coaches it will make things a lot easier.

Sincerely,

Larry O and thanks for the posts on this subject. It is really important to me and I think skating in general. Boys and Girls should be skating together. You start them young or old, but you have to do it a way that nobody falls down and gets hurt. That's the trick!
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #11
rwsz

good luck on whatever u decide, and a beginner skater might not to a bad choice as they wont have bad habits and can learn how the skaters skate today.