S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old June 9th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #1
PappaWheelie

Default 10 laps in 1 minute 35 seconds

OK.. I did my ref skate test finally. I was doing pretty good on the last test that was the 10 laps in 1 minute 30. But in order to keep that pace, I eventually have to get really low and about lap 6 or 7 it gets a bit tiring and then that is when i discovered something about my skating I need to fix.

I do not have a lot of limberness. When I let my left leg go under, my feet can only go about the distance under my right hip. Because of this, I find my heel raising and thus only on two wheels. The result? I end up sliding out.

So I need to get some limberness to allow my feet to really past my hips and keep my heel to the ground. As it is, I am (after the fall) only getting about 1 minute 48 seconds. If I could keep my heels down, I think i could get that time down.

Any suggestions?
PappaWheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #2
SwisherTONE
I 'do' Swisher Sweet #143

Location: North Los Angeles Quad Speed Skater www.SwisherSkate.com SWISHER Skating Products (coming soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post

I do not have a lot of limberness. When I let my left leg go under, my feet can only go about the distance under my right hip. Because of this, I find my heel raising and thus only on two wheels. The result? I end up sliding out.

So I need to get some limberness to allow my feet to really past my hips and keep my heel to the ground. As it is, I am (after the fall) only getting about 1 minute 48 seconds. If I could keep my heels down, I think i could get that time down.

Any suggestions?
Pap, First things first; I think acknowledging the issue and figuring out what the root cause is, is the biggest step. Since you've done that, your over half way to curing the issue; which is great!

I would try two distinct stretching exercises (this is w/o skates on):

The first one; plant your left foot firmly on the floor and move your right foot over the front of the other (as if you were doing a cross-over on a turn). Allow your right foot to continue to stretch out farther toward the direction of the left side of your body while keeping your left foot as firmly in place as possible without your heel coming up.... stretch it as far as you can without allowing the heel to loose contact with the floor. Hold that position for as long as you can before fatiguing.

The second one; squat down in a straddle position with your feet flat on the ground about 2 1/2 to 3 feet apart depending on how long your legs are). Then, with your hands resting on the tops of your knees, stretch from side to side, straightening each leg opposite of the way you're leaning. Stretch as far as you can without the soles of your feet leaving the ground and hold each side you stretch for as long as you can without fatiguing.
These should definitely help with becoming more limber.

Now, those are not to fix the problem totally. In fact those are just to help you feel more comfortable physically while you're crossing over at faster speeds.

The real solution is to realize that your left foot, and particularly your HEEL (during a cross-over) was not meant to stay flat on and ride the rink floor. The outer two wheels of your left skate will naturally, for most of the cross-over, be the only thing contacting the floor until you fully pull it off the ground and are going into the next cross-over. All four wheels of the left skate only make contact until it's right underneath your right hip, so what your experiencing is the way it's actually supposed to be.

NOW, your left skate should continue to stretch past your right hip during the cross-over(which the above stretching exercises should help with) but only expect the outer two wheels of the left skate to be making contact with the floor.

I know it was a lot of info. Hope it made sense

I <3 Speed Skating & Derby ~ Swisher Sweet#143 (best Jammer EVER)
SwisherTONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #3
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

The next time you come to practice, we can work on a few things.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Also check out the rat city rollergirls video on derby cross overs :-)

A lot of GREAT exercises to help build up that left leg agility/reach in the cross over.