S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old May 12th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Succuba5

Default Moto Ceramic Pearl Vs Cheezeball Swiss Bearings

Trying to decide between Moto Ceramic Pearl and Cheezeball Swiss bearings. Has anyone got any thoughts between them? Price wise there's not much in it.

This is what the Cheezeball website says about the swiss:
Balls: Silicon Nitride Ceramic
Cage Material: Nylon Retainers
Races: 440 Stainless Steel
Cheezeball Swiss Bearings are the culmination of almost 2 years of real world roller derby testing. These are the best bearings that you will ever skate on, period. We started out with Silicon Nitride ceramic balls, one of the hardest ceramic compounds in the world. This is the same material that is used in aerospace applications and is capable of 35,000RPM at over 500 degrees!

Then we paired them with no rust, SELF HEALING deep groove 440 stainless steel races and completely noncorrosive nylon cages and built them to ABEC 7 tolerances. 440 Stainless steel is slightly softer than chrome steel races, which allows the insanely hard Silicon Nitride ceramic balls to “dress out” small scratches and imperfections in the bearing race, resulting in THE SMOOTHEST, LONGEST LASTING ROLL EVER at a price that’s nearly half of any other high end ceramic bearing available. With occasional cleaning and lube these bearings will last longer than any other you’ve tried!

and this is what the Grn Mnstr site says about the Moto Ceramics:
Moto™ Ceramic Pearls are the ultimate in ceramic skate bearings. The advantages of Moto Ceramic Pearls over other ceramic bearings are achieved by using the finest ceramic balls that are rounder, harder, smoother, lighter and more durable. The ceramic also reduces friction, improves power transfer and increases bearing longevity. As with all Moto bearings our ‘Ti-Nite’ races and shields are optimized for very low friction and maximum protection against dirt. Moto Ceramic Pearls… nothing even comes close. 8 mm

Thanks for your help!
Succuba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Armadillo

The main factor to consider is whether you ever expect that some water might get in the bearings.

The Cheezeball stainless steel races, despite their slightly lower hardness, will resist rust way better than non-stainless chrome steel races (not sure what "Tri-Nite" actually are though, but not likely stainless).

The roll of the Cheezeballs will be a little less from the softer SS metal of the races, but IMO that is a good trade off for skating outdoors, where exposure to water is not always something you can totally control.

Trashing a $150+ set of bearings from rust damage is a very depressing situation.

-Armadillo
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #3
Succuba5

Thanks Armadillo

I had to google Ti Nite as I wasn't sure either (although still don't quite understand it all) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride It's a ceramic material used to harden and protect cutting and sliding surfaces.

My last bearings went rusty even though they haven't been near water (actually various bits of my skates started to go rusty even though they've not been near water so not sure why/how!)

Supposedly you can buy individual cheezeball bearings if one of them goes but haven't seen where you can do that.
Succuba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #4
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Rust (in a loose definition) Is metal returning to its natural state. Water/Moisture, help speed along the corrosion process but aren't required to be 'wet' to do it. There is moisture pretty much everywhere you go. If you store your skates in a bag after session, the sweat from your feet is enough to help create moisture that will cause bearings, axle nuts and bolts to begin to corrode.
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:25 PM   #5
hovercarl

Default Qube

I have the Qube 8Ball ceramic and Cheezeball Swiss and the Qube are faster. I had a couple different people test them and they came to the same conclusion.

Carl
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:42 AM   #6
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercarl View Post
I have the Qube 8Ball ceramic and Cheezeball Swiss and the Qube are faster. I had a couple different people test them and they came to the same conclusion.

Carl
Unless the 8Balls are stainless steel, this makes perfect sense.

The softer stainless steel races are enough softer than chrome steel metal to cause a detectable amount more resistance to rolling (assuming the balls of each are equivalent silicon nitride}.

-Armadillo
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #7
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

I was very unimpressed with the Qube 8 balls, and also haven't cared for any other ceramic bearings I've tried... but I love my Cheezeballs Swiss. They performed great right out of the box, and my original set from 2 years ago has never been cleaned but you would never know that because they are still going strong!!
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2sk888 View Post
They performed great right out of the box, and my original set from 2 years ago has never been cleaned but you would never know that because they are still going strong!!

Interesting....I just cleaned a set of Qube 8 ceramics that had been rolled for a season and a half. 10 of them really didn't need anything, the other 6 had a bit of noise. Obviously floor conditions have much to do with longevity.

I guess I should check out the Cheese Balls.
Old May 15th, 2014, 03:20 AM   #9
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

Interesting....I just cleaned a set of Qube 8 ceramics that had been rolled for a season and a half. 10 of them really didn't need anything, the other 6 had a bit of noise. Obviously floor conditions have much to do with longevity.

I guess I should check out the Cheese Balls.
What's interesting is, the Qubes were used in pretty clean conditions and still seemed to suck in every bit of dirt. These Cheezeballs have been used in very dirty conditions and no problems at all. I do agree it's strange how some of us have very different experiences with the same bearings!!!
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote